Daily News Thread 8/2

Tillerson Threatens Regime Change in Venezuela

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson floated the possibility of measures to force President Nicolas Maduro to leave.
telesurtv.net/english/news/Tillerson-Threatens-Regime-Change-in-Venezuela-20170801-0030.html

Trump Endorses Bill to Cut Legal Immigration, Award Visas Based on Merit

President Donald Trump on Wednesday endorsed new legislation that would reduce legal immigration to the U.S. and evaluate visa applications based on merit, with a preference for people with higher education or job skills.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-02/trump-endorses-bill-to-award-immigrant-visas-based-on-merit

Trump approves new 'flawed' Russia sanctions

President Donald Trump has signed into a law a bill which imposes new sanctions on Russia for their alleged meddling in the 2016 election.
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40806322

Duterte calls ‘chubby-faced’ Kim Jong-un a ‘fool who plays with dangerous toys’

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has slammed Kim Jong-un as a "fool" and a "son of a b**ch" who is "playing with dangerous toys." It comes just days before a meeting of 27 foreign ministers which will likely address the North Korean standoff.
rt.com/news/398333-duterte-insults-kim-fool/

‘Leave Chinese land or face war’: China MoD official warns India amid border standoff

A combative Indian defense expert who accused Beijing of running bellicose news stories against Delhi drew a strong response from his Chinese TV show counterpart, who said Indian troops must leave the contested Doklam area if they do not want war.
rt.com/news/398315-china-threat-india-war-doklam/

Canada opens Montreal Olympic Stadium for migrants from US

Montreal is temporarily opening its Olympic Stadium as a shelter to host a sudden increase in asylum seekers arriving from the US.
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40806862

Young Brit surrounded by Islamic State militants shot himself to avoid capture

A British man described as a "hero" who fought alongside Kurdish forces in Syria, killed himself to avoid falling in the hands of Islamic State (Isis) militants, an inquest heard.
ibtimes.co.uk/young-brit-surrounded-by-islamic-state-militants-shot-himself-avoid-capture-1633219

Digital billboard in Cardiff hacked to show swastikas, memes and 'Sharia zone' warning

A digital billboard located in the heart of Cardiff's main shopping street was reportedly taken over by a hacker this week, altered to display a variety of offensive images including a Nazi swastika, a Sharia Law warning and an image referencing George Orwell's 'Big Brother'.
ibtimes.co.uk/digital-billboard-cardiff-hacked-show-swastikas-memes-sharia-zone-warning-1633197

Man who trained dog to make Nazi salute denies hate crime

A Scottish man who taught his girlfriend’s dog to salute like a Nazi whenever he said “gas the Jews” or “Heil Hitler” has denied committing a hate crime.
rt.com/uk/398340-nazi-dog-hitler-salute/

Isis supporter plotted to kill 10,000 people in California to 'redefine terror'

A 22-year-old high school graduate who plotted to kill thousands of people in order to "redefine terror" has been charged by US police.
ibtimes.co.uk/isis-supporter-plotted-kill-10000-people-california-redefine-terror-1633077

Air passengers call 911 after delayed flights in Canada

Air passengers in Ottawa, Canada rang the emergency services after they were trapped on a delayed flight without food or water.
bbc.com/news/world-40801927

Bees Are Bouncing Back From Colony Collapse Disorder

The number of U.S. honeybees, a critical component to agricultural production, rose in 2017 from a year earlier, and deaths of the insects attributed to a mysterious malady that’s affected hives in North America and Europe declined, according a U.S. Department of Agriculture honeybee health survey released Tuesday.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-01/good-news-for-bees-as-numbers-recover-while-mystery-malady-wanes

Other urls found in this thread:

bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-health-care-spending/
telesurtv.net/english/opinion/Black-August-and-the-Unmasking-of-the-US-Police-State-20160818-0020.html
nakedcapitalism.com/2017/08/matt-bruenig-success-sequence-cultural-beefs-not-poverty.html
crookedtimber.org/2017/08/02/the-nuclear-renaissance-dies-forgotten-and-bankrupt/
youtube.com/watch?v=SYslEzHbpus
bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-40804812
reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-vote-exclusive-idUSKBN1AI0AL
cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/montreal/olympic-stadium-houses-asylum-seekers-1.4231808
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

D A I L Y N E W S H Y P E
A
I
L
Y
N
E
W
S
H
Y
P
E

OP/ED

Americans Die Younger Despite Spending the Most on Health Care

Typically, the more a developed country spends on health care, the longer its people live. The U.S., which spends the most on health care, bucks that trend.
bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-health-care-spending/

Black August and the Unmasking of the US Police State

Black August, paradoxically, shines a light on the contradictions of a country that never was, yet must always be.
telesurtv.net/english/opinion/Black-August-and-the-Unmasking-of-the-US-Police-State-20160818-0020.html

Matt Bruenig: The “Success Sequence” Is About Cultural Beefs Not Poverty

Debunking a pet conservative meme about the need to have a family to get out of poverty.
nakedcapitalism.com/2017/08/matt-bruenig-success-sequence-cultural-beefs-not-poverty.html

The nuclear renaissance dies, forgotten and bankrupt

crookedtimber.org/2017/08/02/the-nuclear-renaissance-dies-forgotten-and-bankrupt/

Thank god. That was terrifying me. Let's hope they keep it up.

F

F

Fucking lol

I'm surprised this didn't take place in Florida.

Fucking wew

I might be wrong but I saw something about that guy ages ago and he's actually a comrade I think.

Of all the stupid, back-asswards reasoning I have ever heard… How exactly is giving all the best-paying jobs to foreigners who will earn less supposed to bolster the wages of the poorer local workers? It's not, I know.

Horse and sparrow economics.

Maybe because there was an actual response?

I mean listen I fucking hope climate issues are being overhyped, I wish they were complete lies.

When did we enter Bizarro World?

It had a super-majority so he didn't really have any other options.

RIP a revolutionary hero

if duterte does not end buried alive under the mix of industrial concrete and sewage refuse there is no justice in the world

He is still right about Kim.

Kim's been playing it pretty fucking smart. Unless the US goes full imperialist and tries to start a war, they've totally won.
I don't know why the American public seems to think he's a maniac–severe human rights violations aside.

That man litterally did nothing wrong, he was just having bantz.

Just look at him. youtube.com/watch?v=SYslEzHbpus

Venezuela vote: Turnout figure 'tampered with'

Venezuela's electoral authorities said more than eight million people, or 41.5% of the electorate, had voted for a new constituent assembly. But the CEO of Smartmatic, Antonio Mugica, said the actual turnout differed by at least one million.

Separately, the Reuters news agency reported it had seen an internal memo from Venezuela's electoral authorities saying fewer than four million votes had been cast just two hours before polls closed.

bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-40804812

but no actual proof i'm sure, until it's confirmed by "an anonymous source :,)"

Here's Reuters's article about it.

reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-vote-exclusive-idUSKBN1AI0AL

I love you news friend

:( biji

Thank you news user

Why would venezuela not only create this data but then let reuters access it if it both contradicts their official story and delegitimizes what they were trying to accomplish?

41% isn't that high anyways

It's absurdly high considering that Venezuela is not the US and only government supporters voted.

so can it be taken as a mandate or naw?
the us doesn't have very high voter turnout either

Literally this is the exact opposite of everything that would actually be helpful, even from a neoliberal perspective. But the "left" in this country will just passively whine about the poor brown people that won't be enlightened by the DNC, and the right will cheer because they think in terms of some false dichotomy where dumb immigrants=bad and smart immigrants=good like they're in a fucking videogame or some shit.

This shit wouldn't be a problem if US public school Econ wasn't just an endless series of autistic graphs contrived by liberals with no practical application. Pic related, your average US citizen just doesn't even fucking KNOW the reality of their country. Like living in a fucking asylum.

Hmmmm…

Whenever North Korea comes up in conversation I always ask people why we should risk a war, and they pause for a second, and they always say some shit about how the North will attack us. And why would they attack us when that would guarantee their destruction? "lol cuz that Kim Jang Uhn is crazy".

Funny how the media seems to be pushing this inexplicable narrative that North Korea is literally headed by a fucking cartoon villain that just does shit for no reason, with increasing frequency, just as DPRK missile ranges are starting to close the gap and reach into US territory.

Kimmy knows exactly what he's doing and so does the US. When the nukes can reach the continental US it is OVER. A war can't be risked, and that's tens of millions of people we'll never be able to sell coca cola too.

Holy shit, so Kim was the 69th dimensional chess master this whole time.

it includes sanctions against iran, who he wants a war with

does the left feel threaten by smart people ?

Well no, that's just the reason why any country develops nukes: so they can't be invaded. They're not doing it so they can nuke random nations for the evulz

lets wounder why the left revolution will never happen in america because its full of FUCKING RETARDS.

Well, "Venezuela is not the US" doesn't really matter, because the US's turnout is low as fuck.

Only counting the turnout of the option that favors the ruling party, with elections from the last 5 years:

2012 presidential election: Chavez: 44.36%
2013 presidential election: Maduro: 40.40%
2015 parliamentary election: GPP: 30.34%

Why would they get 10% back when everything is going to shit?

I have another theory: In the 1999 constitutional assembly elections, people had 10 votes, so there were 50,794,450 votes with 5,079,445 voters. In this election, people had 2 votes. Maybe the lie is in saying that there were 8 million voters when there were actually 8 million votes? The CNE hasn't released the final count with the invalid vote count or anything like that yet.

What's saying only government supporters voted? The right wing opposition boycotted it but there are people who are unhappy with the government that don't identify with the right wing opposition. And if I'm not wrong this election was for voting on representatives that will create the new constitution so it totally makes sense to vote, especially if you're unhappy with Maduro (but are not part of the right wing opposition setting people on fire and calling for a coup).

Shame on all of you

?

he was valiant, may he rip

wut

They won't vote for anyone, just like they haven't in the past elections. You have to actually go and figure out how to choose and who to choose from the hundreds of candidates.

And don't say "everything I don't like is right wing", that's retarded.

The American empire is on its last legs. Its elites don't even bother trying to keep their proles happy anymore. Profit is becoming increasingly scarce. They will likely start a war within the next decade or so.

Seriously, who wouldn't vote at random on this shit?

I find it odd I havent seen anyone here hacked a billboard yet to display capitalism death counts since the thread about buying add space didn't really go anywhere even though most thought it was a good idea.

Holla Forums is allergic to using their own money.

It had a veto proof majority

No they raised money before. Im just saying if the high price was a issue to raise for I dont see why there hasnt been hacking attempts to do the same task.

shows that one of the few things both US parties agree on is warmongering and imperialism

F though he should have let them surround him and then held up a grenade with the pin pulled assuming he had one

Fuckin' hell, that's the funniest thing that I've seen all week.

You mean this?

cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/montreal/olympic-stadium-houses-asylum-seekers-1.4231808