Is Twin Peaks (and David Lynch in general) reactionary?

Is Twin Peaks (and David Lynch in general) reactionary?

I still enjoy it, but since getting commiepilled, I can't help but see it as pure ideology.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TwuzI8Y0uW0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lynch is sort of conservative politically from what I have gathered but the fact that you boiled the show down to just those few traits, which it itself openly parodies, and are worried that these ironic traits of a satirical show make it reactionary make me not even want to engage you further than I have

source?

Could this be why he loves to show women getting beaten up?

Is smoking weed out of a shotgun in a bunker while listening to White Rabbit in Vietnam back in the 1960s reactionary?

The 50s/60s/70s/80s and all the other "good ol' days" old people like to lecture you bout had problems. Especially times like the 20s, 30s, 70s and 80s. Prostitution, crime, abortion and drug use was through the roof in them days. Today the crime and drug use is as low as it's been since the 50s and 60s days of suburban cul-de-sacs, white picket fences and baseball playing neighbourhood kids named "Jimmy".

I know it "parodies" some of the things I listed, but I don't think it really changes the meaning of the show, and it's not as straightforward as you're putting it.

Lynch is not conservative. He supported Bernie Sanders.

Twin Peaks is a surrealist show that takes place in an idyllic version of America that doesn't exist. It's not meant to reflect real life. Also, if you look in the new season, one of the cops (Chad) is maybe the most reprehensible person on the entire show. Not to mention the corrupt police in Fire Walk With Me.

The new season also has some class consciousness going on with Janey-E, who rants multiples times about not being the 1% and getting shit on by the ruling class.

Except half the cops in Twin Peaks are either corrupt or legally retarded. If I recall correctly, the characters and places in Twin Peaks are based on the stuff Lynch saw growing up in rural small towns, so obviously some aspects are going to be nostalgic

No. Although the show starts out glorifying the 50's and 'the american dream we quickly realize that something is very wrong. The show is essentially about unmasking the evil hidden in american civil society. Every character who is initially presented as some kind of leader of the local community(especially Ben Horne) is exposed as corrupt in some way.

The true heroes of the the show are the nobodys, like Big Ed or Andy, I.E the proletariat. Although this description isn't entirely true. The 'Good' characters are allowed to be nuanced with issues of their own, but they are never the causes of social issues like joblessness, prostitution or drug use like the capitalists are.

Yes thank you Afroplasm, we needed to know that.

Frank dies at the end of Blue Velvet. The perpetrators escape justice in Twin Peaks.

Yeah, Lynch has reactionary ideas about a bunch of crap let alone good and evil and superstition, but the stories he tells aren't very good propaganda or intended to be, because Lynch is extremely self-indulgent. So my view is, let the artist express himself.

there's nothing more annoying than insecure children asking the other kids in the secret treehouse club if their favorite hobby is still cool by the gang's standard.
y'all a bunch of chickens and followers.

Holla Forums tier shit.
Don't mix art and politics

TP got canceled before it could end. Blame the network executives for letting the bad guys go free, fucking moron.

I think this scene here gives a great insight into Lynch's ideas about what you described: youtube.com/watch?v=TwuzI8Y0uW0

Lynch's 50s nostalgia is always shown with an undercurrent of something sinister. The metaphor in this scene is pretty hard to deny.

Dumbest post on Holla Forums right now.

As others have mentioned, a good deal of the authority figures in Twin Peaks are incompetent and corrupt.

The 50s nostalgia is an overlay, on top of something more sinister.

I'd say you might have a point with the whole Black Lodge vs. White Lodge trip, but those entities themselves remain pretty mysterious throughout the series.

While I wouldn't claim that Lynch's work is here revolutionary I do frequently take note of the intentionally awkwardized communications between individuals in the series. Characters in Twin Peaks often have overtly bizarre characteristics which they apply over every interaction they have with other characters. I tend to find this to be an interesting portrayal of how most of us communicate, just played up to an absurd degree.

Overall not a bad show, perhaps slightly culturally and social aware, but likely not enough to develop political theory out of.

-On the other hand though, if I remember Zizek's Perverts Guide movies correctly he references a lot of Lynch films, so if you're interested in a different perspective on some of Lynch's work you could check that out.

It's interesting that, compared to the original show, the setting of Twin Peaks Season 3 shows the decline and physical degradation of the US. So much of the show seems to take place in crapped out trailer parks and semi-abandoned suburban Vegas sprawl. The "idyllic" Pacific Northwest setting of the original really isn't there.

Yeah there's no way all of this was accidental

Hey that's an interesting point.
A lot of the first two seasons (if memory serves) took place in people homes, the police department, the diner, and the hotel.

The little bit of the new season that does take place within Twin Peaks proper has been in the woods and in trailers mostly. We've seen the diner again and it hasn't changed hardly at all.

Good observations. This is Lynch's picture of modern America, and it's a pretty gross place to be.

Yeah the whole point of Twin Peaks is that the cute little white ass town is actually plauged by corruption and evil

Except that Fire Walk With Me got made, didn't it? One quick scene inserted into that movie and the matter gets resolved. So fuck your "network executives" bullshit, mongoloid.

Fire Walk With Me was a prequel to investigate the character of Laura Palmer, exactly why she died, who she was, why people exactly cared for her, and the tragedy that was her life.

That she was a victim of every plot thread we paid attention to in the show, and was raped by her own father. At this point in the show, it was still ambigous whether BOB was real, and not a figment of the imagination.

In fact BOB is still more analogy regardless.

What you have to understand is this.

Twin peaks is about the corruption of small working class town Americana and electricity ruining fucking everything

In fact if you saw the missing pieces you'd know that the Black Lodge literally exists within Electricity.

It's based on native american folklore that one day the world would be surrounded by a giant web by a trickster god, that's the internet, that's electricity, that's the black lodge, that's Twin Peaks.

David Lynch is flat out telling you more directly than any of his work, short of The Elephant Man and his botched attempt at Dune

What his thesis is. And that's Modernization was a giant fucking mistake and our attempts to cover it up are at best sleezy at worst vile

While I do disagree with your interpretation.
I applaud most of your reasoning and detail.

I would say that Twin Peaks specifically is quite abit more complicated then a simple criticism of modernism.
Especially in regards to the new season, I find Twin Peaks far more cynical and even mean-spirited then what a criticism of modernism would imply.

It's cynical but underlying it all there is a hopefulness and innocence to it.

You see no better representation to this than Margaret, The Log Lady.

Especially

Now.

It seems contrived, but she's dying of cancer given to her by modern society, she's sick with something on her death bed, but as if one last gift to people who do not deserve it, tells them exactly what's happening between the world of spirits and the unseen and what is happening between them in the material.

But it isn't what it seems. The world of spirits is still very much our own creation, just as BOB was born from a fucking atom bomb.

It's no coincidence the one with the most grounded understanding of the show lost her husband to the fires of technology and talks to a log. Neither is it coincidence last episode Deputy Hawk literally spelled out "Fire can also mean something energetic, like electricity"

The show is cynical as hell, but it's more or less about modernization and capitalism, and how despite our best efforts to put a mask on how good it might be, how great it is to use a telephone or a computer

We are more apart than ever, and that divide is growing further, further, further, further. Until we hate women and love ourselves more than our families, love our vices more than ourselves, and pledge to the black lodge right after birth.

In fact I have a feeling the Black Lodge is a supernatural manifestation of modernization and capitalism itself.