Digital Classrooms As Data Factories

wrenchinthegears.com/2017/07/14/digital-classrooms-as-data-factories/

What the h*ck?!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_investing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_impact_bond
theanarchistlibrary.org/library/max-stirner-the-false-principle-of-our-education
youtube.com/watch?v=IvqBJYmpQrY
vibrantlearning.aam-us.org/2015/12/23/a-learning-day-2037/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'd think shit like this would be common knowledge at this point. Why do you think there's a big push to teach poor kids programming?

Is this any different from the other failed educational schemes that billions were dumped into to improve mediocre education outcomes, though?

As Orwellian as this sounds I expect it will inevitably falter when the returns in no way justify investment

No one cares about the educational outcomes. This is gradual privatization.

fixin' 404

Choose your character

Nobody wants to talk about this? This is important!

When something is free, you're always the product.

Porky doesn’t understand what morality is.

Computers need to be less used in education. I say this as a student.

This Earth is Hell.

I mean, why wait until they're adults to commence the spying. Why not track their behavioral patterns when they're still young to predict how they'll act in the future.

We live in a Philip K Dick novel now

Don't worry, after it has been normalized in school it will be rolled out for the workforce too.

"Sir, we just noticed that you had a very low score on Teamwork on one of our Universal Tests(tm) when you were ten years old, which is indicative of a life-long trend according to our Universal Expert System(tm)! I mean, really now. Why even hope to get a job after this? We hereby reject your application, and hope you can make a career out of camwhoring instead! Goodbye now!"

One has to wonder if this won't backfire horribly. I was the complete opposite person until crashing headlong into being a teenager. (While you could always amazon it up a bit to predict patterns, you're still gonna get wrong predictions. The one thing investors don't want to understand is that risk is not the same thing as uncertainty, with human behaviour almost invariably falling into the latter.)

Though this also means preordained failure for the bad-kid-good-adult crowd. Just means, of course, that all good adults need to take the people responsible for this nonsense to Hawaii and throw them into the top of a volcano so they can go back to the hell they came from. I know that some better systemic analysis is warranted to make the problem go away, but in the short term just killing everyone who considers the idea is tempting. Also maybe sacrifices will appease god and make it stop.

did anyone tell these guys that Psycho Pass wasn't supposed to be an instruction manual?

What's the math/logic behind that? How the fuck can you quantify "gratitude"? And why do I keep thinking of Nick Land whenever I see shit like this?

the technics of surveillance capitalism are not impartial, but instruments of control designed to mold a new human subject for the post fordian labor market. That means enforced enthusiasm and the imperative to smile and be grateful.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_investing

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_impact_bond

Because you haven't read Lukács I guess

How could one man predict our future to such a T

Give it a decade or two and we'll have precrime with super-computers and not pre-cogs

Don't worry, harnessing the power of BIG DATA our machine learning system will classify you as "unstable in character" and you will be sent to a virtual psychologist before you can hurt our profit your development.

That Vesicle Pisces

How could a man be so prescient?

Uh oh!

Which philip k dick novel are you referring to in particular? I still haven't read any, though I think I have an ebook for Ubik lying around.

I forgot if it's a novella or a novel, but Minority Report. The one the movie is only based on.

That and to a certain extent A Scanner Darkly.

But almost all of his thesis deal with the problems we have to day from pharmaceutical companies to particularly mass surveillance for the public's "safety", that only gets worse as time goes on.

The idea that we're scanning children for future "anti-social" behavior is straight out of a piece by PKD.

This century we're going to be able to use this technology to probably predict "crime" before it even happens.

Thanks for answering, user. I really gotta dig into this guy's stuff.

I think this book is relevant.
This is another expansion of the bureaucracy that is the education system, now partnered with financialization.

I'm thinking now, when did this become mandatory anyway?
In a lot of (advertising, television-documentary, corporate-internal) media even up to the 90s, maybe even the 2000s for example if you had computer technology they were often willing to be boring in their advertising (even when often working in some pretty clever jokes, they kept their suits on). Just say "This is a laptop. I am in a suit. You are a businessman. This will do spreadsheets.", where now you've got some besmirked dickhead in a t-shirt sitting in his livingroom grinning like a hyena at some minimalistic-design bullshit spreadsheet.

It's very strange, particularly because if anything it seems to sap enthusiasm for the product. I mean, on old news reports you've got some guy talking about his employer moving into a new market and - quite naturally, he'll talk rather excited about this project because he's been working hard on it and it looks like it'll work. But now that you've got mandatory excitement the entire thing seems completely inhuman, designed to appease machines more than to (a) appease humans or (b) make money - retweet for a t-shirt! take a selfie with our logo! come in and shoot everyone before turning the gun on yourself to escape this nightmare! tell a friend!

I demand the right to live in a boring world.

I'll just leave this right here…

theanarchistlibrary.org/library/max-stirner-the-false-principle-of-our-education
youtube.com/watch?v=IvqBJYmpQrY

under the fordist capitalism of the post war era, work was a distinct and separate sphere of life. You went to an office or factory, clocked in, worked within an established hierarchy with its own professional norms and formalities, clocked out after finishing your shift and went home.

post fordist capitalism is attempting to eliminate the distinction between work and the other spheres of life in order to maximise exploitation. Labor has been detached from the fixed spaces of the office and the factory. The formality exemplified by the business suit has given way to a working environment were the boss acts like he's your friend, every day is casual Friday and there is a ping pong table in the breakroom. The message is clear, you are not an exploited proletarian, but an independent entrepreneur, a teamplayer, or god forbid 'member of the corporate family'. That means all the benefits organised labor won over the years have to go.

Have you considered that maybe sci-fi writers don't predict our future, but rather their novels become self-fulfilling prophecies as members of the ruling class digest their ideas?

What the fuck is that image?

It's Nico.

become christcom, judgement day cant come son enough

It also means that they can pay you less because it's harder to keep track of the time you spent working.

Idolshit.

My gift to industry is the genetically engineered worker, or Genejack. Specially designed for labor, the Genejack's muscles and nerves are ideal for his task, and the cerebral cortex has been atrophied so that he can desire nothing except to perform his duties. Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?

Why is she so perfect?

The horribleness of this is contrasted by ability to imagine how such technology could be used for good. Imagine a world where we actually use tools to help kids understand who they are and work on who they want to be.

It couldn't be. Reducing someone to some metrics is not how you make them a better person.

So how 'bout dat Common Core, eh?

Is this accurate about the future of education in the USA?
vibrantlearning.aam-us.org/2015/12/23/a-learning-day-2037/