/leftylanguages/

Hey guys, I was just wondering what are the best languages for a english-only speaking leftist to learn? Are there any free sources to learn languages online? I'm looking for an mp3 lesson or something, and/or a book. I've decided to learn some languages. How do i practice these languages, as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

torrentproject.se/?s=language learning pack
youtube.com/watch?v=AdIkTNnnBFo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Latin, german, french, probably because of their historical appearances throughout the history of philosophy

And you can torrent rosetta stone or just fine a diff resource online im sire

duolingo my dude

any learning of language apart from that through immersion is basically worthless. learn a bit of latin (which can't be learned fluently, anyhow) for some help with surface-level observations of other indo-european languages when isolated quotations pop up, but other than that don't bother learning a language unless you plan to immerse yourself in an environment that speaks that language.

Japanese is pretty fun.

Esperanto seems really cool and is built to be learned easily; though good luck finding other people that speak it.

German is relatively easy for English speakers, many cognates and similar grammar structure, plus it sounds aesthetic

German sounds like vocal diarrhea.
Spanish or French is where it's at.

Based Tito

If you're a burger, Spanish.
If you're a bong, Polish.
If you're a leaf, French.
They're the second most common languages in each place
Duolingo that shit, and listen to a ton of music in that language. I'm spamming the shit out of GETchan's YouTube because he's got great Spanish language content.

Fuck other languages. They can learn english or they can fuck off. It's not like the borders would be open anyway, and everyone within the country already speaks English.

>>>Holla Forums

Think you got lost of the way to Holla Forums

Fucking Holla Forumsack

Sort of depends on your goals.
Duolingo and Memrise. Ultimately you're going to need some native speakers to talk with though, so you might want to look for some chatrooms that speak the language to try and make friends in

Learn Spanish just because it is easy to learn and beautiful. Wonderful earthy poetry.

learn french then spanish

If you want to cry, you can learn Arabic

seconding

4chan /t/ always has a huge languages thread up

Spanish and French. Don't bother with memesperanto.

Esperanto, much like communism it was created by jews and seeks to "unify" everyone.
also only sailors really speak it so you fags could use it as your own secret language.

Learn Esperanto. It's pretty fun and you will find tons of people who will want to talk with you just because you can speak Esperanto. Most big cities have regular meetups, and there are yearly conferences and other international events. You can also travel using Esperanto, there's Pasporta Servo which is the original couch-surfing service, you can stay at Esperanto speaking foreigners for mostly free as long as you only speak Esperanto with them.

Start with the Duolingo and Lernu courses, both are free. Lernu also has tons of other good learning resources, articles, books, etc. For learning vocabulary I recommend making your own cards with Anki. Try to use pictures instead of translating words, and having example usage helps too. Espernato is pretty easy so you will progress quickly.

REMOVE ESPERANTO

so french and german are where it's at?

almost fell for it

I would argue the struggle and experiencing something outside of the norm is worth trying alone. Even if you don't become fluent, it gets your brain working in a way you might not be used to.

Bullshit, if you have fucks who can learn Klingon despite such limited vocab and texts to read then you can learn a language once spoken by millions with tens of thousands of texts of all difficulties spanning thousands of years.

It depends. Theory-wise it is, by far, German, then French in second.

If you want to learn a new language, particularly if you never learned one before, I recommend you do the following:

Get yourself a frequency dictionary of that language, and download Anki or some other flashcard software. Gradually add (manually, don't download someone else's deck) a weekly quota of words you want to learn, starting with the most common ones, and memorize them. If you have something like a 3000-word vocabulary you can read most western languages well, so if you do something like a hundred words per week you'll have a decent vocabulary by the end of the year.

Second, download Lingoes. There are dictionaries on their website, get one in the language you want to learn, and one that translates that language to English. Every day, after a month or so of doing flashcards, start reading a short Wikipedia article written on the language you want to learn, and pick a subject you're familiar about so you're not completely lost. Lingoes will help you translate words and entire chunks of text fast, and you'll gain an intuitive understanding of how the sentences are structured. It will be difficult at first, but tank your way through it, it will get easier. (If it becomes too easy, it's time to move on to something harder)

After you can read those articles with some ease, download shitloads of TV shows on that language, and get subtitles in the same language (e.g. french series with french subtitltes) and you'll improve your hability to connect text to sounds. It's also a good way to learn informal language. With time, let go of the subtitles.

Do all of this while you have a nice grammar book around, but don't force yourself to read too much of it at once. If you start reading about a language's norms and rules before you have an intuitive understanding of it, you'll be completely lost and bored (and will probably forget everything in a few days), but if the norms you read about complement and explain what you've already seen in practice, it will make sense immediately and it will be easier for you to remember them.

Learning how to speak/write is harder, and it's something I myself struggle with (as you can probably see), because you can only learn that with practice. But you have to understand something before you speak it, and this will do the job decently until the end of the year. I'm not an expert in this shit, but that's how I learned english, spanish and I'm currently learning german on my own, all as an adult, and I only dedicated one hour or so to language learning per day.

If you want to complement it with other stuff there are some good resources here:
torrentproject.se/?s=language learning pack

I love Esperanto as much as anyone here and I recognize it's limited applicability and how mostly idealists learn it, but if you want to learn other languages, you should objectively start with Esperanto. Even if you never speak a word of it irl with someone else, it's still incredibly useful for helping you learn other languages faster and easier. They did a study with two groups who were trying to learn French: Group A learned Esperanto for a year and then French for a year, while group B just learned French for two years. Group A was much more fluent in French even though they spent half the time learning it.

Anyone who wants to learn a second or third language should start with Esperanto. You'll be able to learn native languages quicker and easier, and you'll be the memey Leftist who speaks Esperanto.

plus Russian, Italian but that's grand master mode

can anyone recommend some good german language YT channels, just to get a feel of the language. Better if they're political and leftist

and tv shows to pirate

youtube.com/watch?v=AdIkTNnnBFo