This is the most peaceful time in human history. [All thanks to nukes and american hegemony.]

Is this true? How do you respond? I've noticed this has become a very popular statement among liberals on reddit.

Other urls found in this thread:

theintercept.com/2017/07/22/donald-trump-and-the-coming-fall-of-american-empire/
aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/08/exposing-great-poverty-reductio-201481211590729809.html
files.prio.org/ReplicationData/BattleDeathsDataset/PRIO Battle Deaths Dataset 3.0 Documentation.pdf
youtu.be/omnskeu-puE
psmag.com/news/the-iraq-sanctions-myth-56433
globalresearch.ca/iraqi-sources-place-real-death-toll-in-us-led-siege-of-mosul-at-40000/5600632
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Peaceful for who?

Were you also just reading this article?

theintercept.com/2017/07/22/donald-trump-and-the-coming-fall-of-american-empire/

The guy being interviewed says it in there too. Is this some sort of mass CTR campaign to promote US imperialism? lol.

I sincerely fucking doubt it's the most peaceful time in history when you think of the sheer population increases, especially in Africa.

For the bourgeois

Nope, I've just been seeing it on reddit in all the liberal subs, and also Lindybeige referenced it recently. and they mean proportionally, not sheer numbers. So Genghis Khan > WWII, by their metric or something.

It certainly doesn't feel like it. This is probably one of those things where neoliberal think tanks fix the numbers to claim the world is getting better when it's actually getting far worse (like with global poverty statistics)

aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/08/exposing-great-poverty-reductio-201481211590729809.html

truly da best time of all

This is why. The population has grown faster than the rate of violence around the world.

I think the stats actually do work, but it's on a per capita basis. Also, think about the 20th century with WW1, WWII, Korea, Vietnam etc. Haven't had wars this big in recent decades.

yeah, but dude, Caesar killed 1 million people, during the Gallic wars when there were only 200 million people alive, that's like 38 million people in modern numbers, and that was just one guy, with people like the cantrabrians and carthaginians getting exterminated, it's like WWII level events constantly, if you look at it like this.

If you ignore that more people died in the Iraq War than in any war between 1815 and 1914, sure.

This is dumb and by this logic the middle ages were probably the most pacific period of all.

mongols though are said to have killed 5% of the earth's population, which would be 375 Million if it happened today.

Nukes almost killed us all several times during Cold War crises (and will most likely kill us all one day period), and "American hegemony" spends most of its time advocating for violent regime change and causing regional instability when something doesn't suit its interests.

This claim has some truth to it as most of history has been filled with constant warring but i can assure that it's of no thanks to america as they have been pretty happy to invade other nations to stir up as much shit as possible.

not counting these?

Taiping Rebellion
20,000,000–100,000,000
1850–1864 China

Indian Rebellion of 1857 800,000–10,000,000
1857-1858 India

Dungan Revolt
8,000,000–12,000,000
1862–1877 China

Mexican Revolution 1,000,000–2,000,000
1910–1920 Mexico

Unquestionably, hegemony breeds peace, regardless of the hegemon. Also, "democratic peace", and the ascendancy of democracies in nearly every great military power today means that the most potentially destructive societies are also the least prone to fighting each other.

Of course, the 3rd world is still a bubbling shithole, but that's nothing new.

The point is the western world because after all the US has no hegemony in the East

uhh, the Iraq war killed like a million people. 100,000 is the absolute minimum.

no, when you drop a bomb on someone, it's not a battle death. Neither is comitting genocide during an ethnic uprising. and the millions killed by landmines also don't count as battle deaths. only soldiers dying and civilians in the crossfire count. Isn't this so much better, aren't you glad to be alive today? Now the only people being murdered are those who can't fight back at all. That's why you don't see the 500,000-3,000,000 dead Indonesians in 1965 on this chart..

info on the chart's Iraq numbers are here (p339-342):
files.prio.org/ReplicationData/BattleDeathsDataset/PRIO Battle Deaths Dataset 3.0 Documentation.pdf

I'm not sure if the chart is from an earlier version or something because the numbers in the pdf look a little higher. Like they give 35,000 for 2006 in the pdf, but in the chart it looks like less than 20,000. Maybe it's an outdated chart.

Also, the chart is only up to 2007. The total for iraq would be a lot higher than 100,000 by now, but "a million" is just a meme.

What the fuck happened in late '90s Africa?

sierra leone civil war, somali civil war, first congo war, congo civil war, eritrean-ethiopian war, second congo war, ituri conflict, many minor conflicts

The pre war sanctions alone killed 500 000 children, and the bastards straight up said on TV that it was "worth it"(watch the video if you want to fuel your hatred). But as always when they fix the numbers they can pretend """20 000""" people died. Never trust statistics compiled by the ruling class

youtu.be/omnskeu-puE

Uh, which area of the world are you looking at and what period as you classing as "now?"

Way I see it there is no peace on any continent

The "500,000 children" claim is also a meme though. Didn't happen. See here:
psmag.com/news/the-iraq-sanctions-myth-56433

Reminds them of institutional violence I guess.

Oppressive hierarchical societies can be peaceful, doesn't mean they're good.

Uncontested capital, western military might, neoliberal influence, nukes and the like have allowed "peace" to be as prevalent as ever but that doesn't suddenly make these things emancipatory or beneficial, it just means they're so prominent to the point of there being no contention or genuine opposition, even if the opposition is better for constructing more fair and egalitarian living standards.

Well there's no World Wars or inter-European wars involving millions of people, which is an improvement. We've managed to get it down to the US bombing various groups of brown people.

More peaceful than the 20th century in terms of scale of conflicts, but there's been a war raging in the Middle East for 15 years

I mean, we might get wiped off the earth in a nuclear holocaust, but okay.

If somebody invented some way of using nukes without causing radiation (probably an antimatter-initiated pure fusion bomb is the most plausible), how fucked would we be?

Please tell me the last time an entire city was sacked and massacred.

Mosul, not even a month ago.

Or Baghdad not too long before that.

Neutron bombs are better.
Kill the humans, keep the infrastructure.

globalresearch.ca/iraqi-sources-place-real-death-toll-in-us-led-siege-of-mosul-at-40000/5600632

HET

MAD would still be a thing because a single nuke could still level an entire city (and then some.)

No the most peaceful would be the period before settled civilizations, while hunter gather tribes had regular fighting it was very relatively peaceful due to their complete lack of capability to do anything but skirmishes which only was effective in the low populations of tribes and primitive methods of production yet you were still talking about such pre-civilization "wars" only killing a hand full each battle. In comparison the USA drops bombs on the other side of the world without any mechanism to deescalate hostilities so there could be a period of there not being war even if temporary.

Now compare the fight for Mosul with the sacking of Magdeburg.

I mean it's true to a certain extent. The catchphrase for this phenomenon, "Pax Americana", has its origins in "Pax Britannica", describing a similar deescalation of conflict during the period of British hegemony following the Napoleonic wars, similar to American hegemony following World War II. As Martin Luther King said though, true peace is not merely the absence of tension: it is the presence of justice. Slave revolts and liberal revolutions throughout history have upset the "peace", but few today would say they weren't justified.

The liberal propaganda machine Kurzgesagt has made a video about how this is the "most peaceful time".

I'm like 80% sure the channel is run entirely by EU shills. I mean they have a video that's basically blatantly condemning the UK for leaving under the guise of being "educational".