Geopolitical Videogames

I am kinda frustrated at the current selection of geopolitical video games. The leaked Heart of Iron: East vs West game did have potential, trying to bolt on economic mechanics to Hearts of Iron 3. Supreme Ruler: Cold War had its charm though managing brigades makes it a micromanaging nightmare and the economics in Supreme Ruler is still a tad simplistic as at its heart it is a war game.

Power and Revolution tries really hard to be the definitive geopolitical game but the game doesn't give enough feed back to command the economy. You can nationalize every industry but it won't provide easy data to manage them and there is no option to let an A.I. advisor do that so the user can just tweak rather then having to constantly be adjusting the workforce of all the industries you have nationalized. Then there is the fact combat sucks in Power and Revolution and the new city battles only makes it worse then there is the fact the game is still a buggy mess.

I gave Realpolitiks a spin and what good ideas it has is burred under a mountain of bad game design. So I decided to play Venezuela and I gobbeled up my weak neighbors and that is where two flaws appear: the combat system is shit, basically you pick a operation from a list and if you win you move up towards the end yet at the end you are left with final offensive or just going on the defensive that means you can get stuck in a war where you either are trying to improve your army (over years) while waiting for the final push or you go for a white peace. This gets worse with how the tech tree works in that you only have two slots for everything, meaning researching better bureaucracy will take up a slot for about a year (if you are lucky) and that is a slot you can't use to research stuff that gives your units better attack oh and on top of that tech requires action points and money so as the game goes on you can find yourself in a situation where you can't research much because the stuff you want is too expensive. Oh but this is not the bad design, I said I gobbled up my weak neighbors at the start and I could because at the start there is no UN mandate against it, you get warmonger points, they reduce relations with other nations but the A.I will get it too if it tries to attack you until the UN votes in anti-warmongering where anyone over 45 warmonger points is okay to invade. Plus it is not hard to get tech to reduce warmonger points (they are low down on the tree so are cheap and quick to research) so you can quickly work off warmongering points.

Why can't there be a game where I can do a USSR style industrialization miracle or follow in the footsteps of Tito. Right now mods for Victoria and HOI are the high water mark for such games.

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/victoria-2-cold-war-enhancement-mod
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There are extremely few ones I'd even call acceptable. Most of them are buried under layer upon layer of convolution, and the information in them is not even correct. Take Masters of the World, for example – it lists semi-democratic countries with conservative parties in power that have leftist sounding names as "totalitarian leftist state".

The only geopolitical sim I've remotely enjoyed is Shadow President tbh.

Masters of the World is the previous game to Power and Revolution and like I said my biggest problem with Power and Revolution is the economics UI is a mess, it doesn't make it easy for the player to run a nationalized economy. They try to be deep by having a shit ton of industries and them interconnection under the hood but in reality the user doesn't care what food commodity they are producing just what works.

Realpolitiks is beyond broken, I went with forming the African Unification Front. Now in the game this is one big ass nation going from the Sudan down to South Africa. Now you'd think you'd be a juggernaut given to trigger the formation in the game you have to industrialize but when I trigger it I noticed my action point budget went to shit because you pay for the upkeep programs with action points rather then money, so I was earning trillions a month but couldn't afford any of the programs I painstakingly implemented because I had a massive action point deficit.

Supreme ruler is such a guilty pleasure of mine. All the games are fucking abysmal in terms of quality and accuracy to reality, but its just so satisfying to bomb the shit out of DC as East Germany. I haven't given RP a chance yet, are there any other similar geo political games I should try?

Realpolitiks is a broken mess and Power & Revolution kinda works but has horrible UI, was buggy the last time I tried it and battles are not that great. There is rumors of a Superpower 3 but nothing concrete so far, yet right now mods for Victoria and Hearts of Iron are the high water mark. It is a shame East Vs West got cancelled

What is your idea of the perfect geopolitical/economic/autistic simulator Holla Forums?

DARKEST HOUR

Darkest Hour is WW2, fam. Besides, all the geopolitics are scripted events. It isn't a geopolitical simulator

I want to program one, but every time I try making a design doc I realize I'm no where near a competent enough designer to make these kinds of games. I'm more excited at the thought of programming an engine than actually designing or playing these. Any one know an opensource engine or something I could contribute to?

Power and Revolution has the chance to be "the" geopolitical game, but it's so buggy that it's unplayable, and looking at the speed the developers update it, it will never be playable.
And just a question: from which game is the third pic?

thats the east vs west prototype i believe

Thanks.

The problem with almost every game if this kind.
Rulers of nations
Democracy
Crisis in the Kremlin
Secret Agenda
Most paradox

It's like they know people will search by themselves, cause there are so little, that they don't care about giving you feedback. Everything in hidden in charts and menus.

A big problem is that while Transport Tycoon in 1994 realized having windows that stay open and can be moved really helps players stay on top of things, this is not the case for grand strategy games cause they are scared of the user cluttering the screen yet with Power and Revolution it gets worse. Though Power and Revolution is special is it throws a shit ton of figures at you with no way to correlate them and they don't abstract for game play, I personally find the commodities in Victoria 2 manageable and a decent balance of abstraction so the player is not swarmed with useless details.

You can go too far in the other direction, like when MoO3 went full retard and most of the games datafiles were literally Excel spreadsheets.

Not the OP but there are Cold War mods for DH. Not to mention the utterly fantastic Kaiserreich mod which is also on Hearts of Iron 4, but the DH version is still superior.

Fug, got DH and the Kaiserreich mod mixed up

moddb.com/mods/victoria-2-cold-war-enhancement-mod

This or NWO. While not perfect, victoria offers the best economics simulation, and the events in cwe seem pretty good from what I've played so far.

Not a geopolitical simulator but I would like a cross between Hidden Agenda and SimIsle, where you take over a fictional island nation during the cold war and with a SimIsle like interface manage it. This way you can have plantations on the map that you can decide how to reform and decide how to bring modernity to a former US colonial island.

My enemas are pretty simple. I am a FFer so I want and need a deep, total cleanout. I want my ass clean for 12 hours if need be.
use a fleet enema bottle. Just my preference. I use the larger size, there is a very small fleet enema that can be used but it requires several more bottles shot up my ass. The larger size 5oz is quicker. I shoot 4 of those up my ass. I then get down on all 4's. I then drop down on my shoulders while keeping my ass high in the air and let that water run deep in my colon. Trust me, this will take practice as you will have the major urge to release it.
For the sake of keeping your bathroom floor clean, STAY NEAR YOUR TOILET! You will have a major urge to release but it will subside if you can hold it. I then stand up and shoot 4 more(another 20oz) of water up me and yes it gets really hard to hold it in but I once again get down on my shoulders, ass up and let that water run deep in my colon.
By that point I am SO FUCKING ready to release. It feels so good to plop down on the toilet and let that eruption go from my ass. I feel like it cleanses my soul!
I gently push all the water out. BUT IN NO WAY AM I FULLY CLEANED OUT YET. The worst has yet to come out and needs to be lured out. That nasty shitty water that if not cleaned out will likely come out while later getting fucked.
Inserting a dildo makes quick work of luring out all of that shitty nastiness. As deep as you can take the dildo will lure out the water faster. Any good bottom at that point should be inserting a dildo, just for hole prep for fucking. It is a good way to open up your hole anyway, to get it ready for a good hard cock pounding.
But it also serves the purpose of luring out that final shitty water. IMO I can't get that dirty water out unless I insert a dildo for a few minutes. While I insert the dildo, I hold it in and brush my teeth, shave etc and get ready for the shower. I leave the dildo in for at least 10 minutes while brushing teeth etc. I pull it out and out comes the remaining dirty water. One more quick fleet bottle to rinse and into the shower I go.
It takes me 10 minutes to enema and push it out. Another 10 minutes or so of dildoing to get the water out while prepping, shaving etc.
I can be fully enemad, showered and out the door in under an hour and be 100% confident of my hole being clean for up to 12 hours after the enema.

bump

Well the paradox set (although EUIV is shit and HoIV is almost worse) are a good bet. One game I enjoy now is Tropico 5: building mini Cuba.

Also
I cry every time.

We really need a proper cold war game preferably one where you can make the Soviet Union actually communist

I've heard Crisis in the Kremlin is quite good: albeit difficult.

If you wanna quick game where you can only be one country, in this case Israel, try Conflict: A Middle Eastern Political Simulator. Its on the Internet Archive. Its pretty simple, but it does play quite an enjoyable game.