What do guys think of structural marxism and Althusser's theories?

What do guys think of structural marxism and Althusser's theories?

He seems to have inspired all kinds of postmarxists like Therborn and Jameson. Plus it really is hard to imagine a time where people ha less agency and are more interpellated by ideology than today.

Other urls found in this thread:

kokkinogati.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/philosophy-of-the-encounter.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=feepQg_Dx7U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

one bump? : S

Isn't he the one who strangled his wife and got away with it?

On a serious note I can't really buy into it. Why else would the wage-labourers attempt to get rebel against the wage labour if it wasn't due to their situation being unbearable and forcing them to act?

He was committed to psychiatric hospital for a few years.

I haven't reached into him yet, any recommendation on were to start from??

he was bipolar, literally mentally insane, spent like 15/30 years in psych.

I like the idea a lot of his theory was literally a product of mania. He seems to have influenced everyone from Jameson and Zizek Poulantzas, to his former students Balibar, Foucualt and Ranciere - all pretty big players imo

I like the Routledge critical thinker booklet on him, it's on the libgens

you can take what is good from marx and discard or update what wasn't good, kinda how working within the marxist tradition works

He wrote Philosophy for Non-Philosophers which is a good primer to his works but it is only in French and Spanish for now. Otherwise On the Reproduction of Capitalism seems to be one of his famous works, but I haven't read it yet.

An English translation was released earlier this year. I actually just started it this week.

Please tell me you have it in PDF. It really is good to share it with people who are not very versed in philosophy.

Sorry dude. I just have a physical copy.

My point is Althusser's epistemological split feels really artificial in relation to Marx works, especially since even the Capital is supposedly "tainted" with humanist undertones.Though I might be biased, I guess I simply cannot envision Marx without presupposing a humanist element.

Has anyone read Lenin and Philospy? I'm considering reading it,

Imo Althusser's epistemological split is really between the actual Marx and the philosopher he wanted Marx to be (and saw him as). Althusser's Marx is much more Hegelian and much more materialist than the real Marx is, which results in a rejection of Marx's humanism.

i think althusser's position on this is much more the result of his time being dominated by humanist marxism than anything, tbh.

Haven't read him yet, but I love the young Marx so I probably won't be much of a fan.

Frogland was a mistake

kokkinogati.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/philosophy-of-the-encounter.pdf

Thats a bit of a weird view of althusser, Marx's philosophy evolved over time, you can clearly see the difference between something like the german ideology and later works.

You're just projecting your own subjective interpretation of history onto the working classes and trying to pass it off as materialism.

how is a class a subject

How exactly?

I thought the working class was the transcendental subject, not the historical subject ???

Badiou wrote an excellent essay on Althusser's philosophy that is included in the Pocket Pantheon from Verso. It's quite advanced, but short and if you're only new to Althusser but not philosophy in general then it is a good place to start.

youtube.com/watch?v=feepQg_Dx7U

There are also excellent lectures on youtube by Badiou on Althusser. Fun fact: Althusser's later thought (aleatory materialism) was largery influenced by Badiou, then still his student.

transcendent and transcendental have radically diff. meaning in philosophy

Jameson would slap you like a bitch for calling him a postmarxist.

I guess his ISA stuff is the best. Although, it seems to make literally almost anything that exists that seems okay, just another thing that reproduces capitalism. elementary school teachers, psychiatrists, social workers…

well user, that's the problem with capitalism, we need every single one of those and they're all tainted. if this wasn't a problem we wouldn't need to be anticapitalist at all, just go vote for some social democrat.

He did Debord better than Debord. And he doesnt read as an obscurantist like many other leftists, which is a massive plus in my book.

this

This book is way complex.