Tfw you fell for the 16 gibs of RAM meme

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=workstation&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=xeon server&_sacat=0
pcpartpicker.com/list/PpngWX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I nearly did. Even if you play vidya, you won't need more than 8. you only need more for heavy duty graphic design and CAD/CAM.

I've been playing Breath of the Wild on Cemu and the damn thing uses a shit ton of RAM, it's crazy.
Also, doesn't Dwarf Fortress use up a lot of it, or is it just CPU intensive?

Casual.

I also regularly reach 16 gigs of ram in my science work (I do disease simulations). Though, by that point, I'm usually running it on the 64 core computer I ssh into.

But yeah, no need for 16 gigs of RAM if you're not doing something technical.

16G is totally worth it for data processing and VMs. The OOM killer destroyed quite a few of my simulations with only 4 GB.

Yeah, any more than 8GB for regular(gaymes) usage is overkill. Not that it's even that much money for RAM.

Dwarf Fortress mainly needs a good CPU. I mean, I play it on my shitty laptop sometimes, but I have to avoid fucking with liquids too much and cap my pop.

that's somewhat of a moot point, as when you're running simulations you can eat up literally any amount of volatile storage, non-volatile storage, computing power, coworker's computers that have ethernet ports but no passwords (or you can get them with a little social engineering), etc.

t. phd student.

plz no.

If you are really poor you can always repurpose a server. Tons are dumped every year and they're pretty cheap.

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=workstation&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=xeon server&_sacat=0

true, but my point was just about how average users don't have huge computational requirements.

All the 16 gig ddr4 I see online is less than $100 to $200. Do you need some really fast shit or just a fuckton of it?

Nevermind, I see you're upgrading other parts too.

Luckily I got mine on the cheap. 4 is more than enough for most shit I'm interested in though.

if you can wait 1 - 2 month before buying anything.
for the price to go down, there are a shortage of ram & graphic cards 'cause "ancap" "mining cryptocurrency"

also were country do you live i can help for your build

i fired up few CryEngine V games, like Prey
and maxed my settings, it doesnt even use full 8GB

4k is meme

hahahahahahahaha isn't life great lads

USA. you can add me on discord if you like Heval Ulaş#8030

this is what I planning right now.
pcpartpicker.com/list/PpngWX

i will add you when i finish work,
sad if you're in the EU or Africa i could have send you some parts.

i recommand to not buy any ram & graphic card for 1 - 2 months.