Been a frequent user of halfchan /g/ for years

what the fuck happened guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
playonlinux.com/en/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Retards gonna retard

People are fucking retarded. Naturally bootlickers will lick the boots of whomever they are told to. People who say that about Linux probably have no idea what the hell their talking about. I hate this fucking world.

Last I checked /g/ several years ago it was nothing but smart phones and memes. I'm not surprised it has gotten this bad.

Free software has nothing to do with communism though, it's more like a guild thing, only of interest to the profession (and certain fractions of the bourgeoisie of course).

Contrarianism is a hell of a drug

Noob here, what is the difference between these 3? why linux is better?

We should just kill ourselves at this point.

stormniggers happened, starting about 10 years ago, then ramping up after Obama was elected. Holla Forums was the perfect nexus for them to gain a foothold since before that, the only place for them to shitpost nazifag/reactionary bullshit was Holla Forums and those threads were shitted to death.

m00t killed 4chan, and by extension, politics and society by creating Holla Forums

If anything moot was incredibly incompetent rather than actively trying to kill 4chan.

What the fuck, are you serious? I posted something about Stallman supporting Maduro after Chávez's death a few months ago to troll and most of the replies to it were about "evil bourgie gusano capitalists going against Maduro"

>>>/gnussr/

This. That goofy fuck literally destroyed the world

I've been thinking that maybe we should also patrol /g/ and /lit/ like Holla Forums does. These boards used to be pretty anti-Holla Forums and have to be taken back.

*the west

god damn it moot

You choose a guy who chews their toenails off as a figurehead while micro$hit and crapple hire professional actors and models to represent their garbage.

I think Moot did kind of fuck up selling 4chan passes. Turning a donation into a transaction is really kind of alienating somehow.

It's called GNU/Linux

Doesn't a donation cease to be such the moment you get something in return, becoming a transaction instead? Though the line gets blurred when you consider other things like your own emotional wellbeing and pleasure, which are not given to you by whoever you are giving the donation to, at least consciously, but come from yourself to yourself instead. This is a complex question.

It is really fun to think seriously about banal things like these

4/g/ and 8/g/ is pretty similar since they both hate trump and Holla Forumsfags and are pretty lefty when it comes to political views

Literal Malware.
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
Pretty much the same shit as above.
Neither of the two. Can do essentially anything you want it to within reason with the correct knowledge. Install Linux Mint on a virtual box, then start to learn stuff. You don't have to use the terminal, but it's really fucking powerful. Like, I can do everything I need to do (minus web shit) in a terminal. You can play games on GNU/Linux, but it's a bit of a hassle. Honestly, just dual boot or a have a separate machine for games with windows 7.

for me it's literally click on install -> click on play -> play.
Sure, some AAA ports have slightly lower performance and the variety of games isn't as big, but I play mainly strategy titles and indies so I'm not missing anything.

In all seriousness

Windows kind of is better then GNU+Linux (nice respecting RMS there bud you win the irony award of 2017).
If MS devotes shit tons of time and money to actively hurt other operating systems.
See:
UEFI disaster and literally needing MS approval to install something that is not windows on a PC.

It kind of is.
Simply because MS tells hardware manufacturers to fuck over all other GPL operating systems.
If you don't have this barrier then windows "is better"

Also pictures MS anti GNU+linux propaganda.

Fuck forgot to write.

So what operating system are you on now?
in all seriousness post the OS you are on now.
I'm on mint what are you on.

/g/ has been nothing more than a meme board for over four years now. I was ecstatic when Holla Forums broke the mold and actually had great tech discussion, until the leddit exodus came and they started allowing "right wing tech" threads which attracted retards who could not program, did not understand computers, but blamed all their computer issues on kikes and the bogeyman of the day. Linux and programming threads were fast replaced with "GUYS HELP ME WITH THIS BASIC WINDOWS PROBLEM PLZ!!!" despite rules against being a help board, and the board suffered a minor crisis and had a member crisis (people actually fucking LEFT because of this) when they actually looked up who Stallman was and realized he was not le aryan tech nazi but rather a fucking leftist jew. Such a fucking shame to see one of the OG, pre-exodus Holla Forums boards suffer such a horrible fate.

I was a janitor and I never got paid. For the time and effort I had to put into the volunteering I should have been paid. Everyone involved should have. It was bullshit.

What was it like? Did you collaborate with other janitors, or was it all on an individual by individual basis?

What's the deal with UEFI. Why is it bad, this is the second time an user on leftypol has implied this. I've googled it but I've only found mild criticism of it.

Try Antergos, good stuff

I have my main desktop runing archlinux with qemu/kvm for gemu (who need dual boot ?)
NAS runing Centos (with owncloud)
Laptop running antergos with i3wm use at work.

it's been 2 years than i'm using those for my daily life.

A lot of the distro has KISS now , for newb try out Elementary OS , Linux Mint or xubuntu or kubuntu
if this experience please you try out some more demanding distro like antergOS.

if you have any question feel free to ask.

maybe i will do a thread after work if people are interest

Teach me your ways wise master.

/g/ has been a board about phones for a few years now.
all the good users left for 8/tech/ before Holla Forums and gamergays showed up and turned the board into a place for whining about politics in the technology community. Holla Forums ruins everything.

No need to fear, we have lainchan now lads.

Do you mean "overpopulation is a jewish globalist trap let's post green frogs"-chan?

When the hell did they get classcucked?

Mostly gave up on /g/. One of the boards thats kinda interesting at first so you can ignore the pointless Holla Forums shit but you can only read so many threads on thinkpads and phones.
Slightly unrelated but I used to love tech stuff but ever since I got a job in the field doing even basic IT shit I just don't have as much of an interest. Not sure if it's some form of alienation or what.

Currently dualbooting Debian and Windows 7 on my pc but I haven't been using linux much lately as Blizzard won't put out a bloody native client.

After the delete.

Nice.

Imho we should make the internet a gomminist thing, remove copyright and make a lot of stuff state issued tbh imagine a public internet it would be the best

Did you even try to install any GNU+linux OS?
It basically:
OLD BIOS
Will start everything that is written correctly.

NEW UEFI
Will only start things with special cryptographic keys that MS has.
You need to ask permission from MS to have a licensed boot loader.
Basically a PC kill switch if MS ever refuses.
Sometimes its a bitch and you need to put your PC into "legacy BIOS mode" in the UEFI/BIOS.
Best part some motherboards simply don't have a "legacy BIOS mode" at this point.

Almost every board on halfchan has been taken over by Holla Forumsreddit. Take a look at /sp/.

[Spoiler] Android [/spoiler] :^)

playonlinux.com/en/

Yeah, I have a dual boot of Mint and Win 8 on. Lenovo I bought in 2014. I had to fiddle around with the GRUB a little but didn't have problems otherwise, although I was helped so maybe it was more difficult than I realize.

Is there a way to find motherboards with old BIOS? Only

Might give this a go when I get home. Someone was saying it works on blizz launcher for some games while a bit buggy on the menus so might work for others aswell. Cheers lad

Only in OLD computers.

I think they(MS) will try to push UEFI hard and will even try to revoke the keys.

Ah yes you can work around it now.
However its a road block.
For a first timer this might be shocking, thy might get frustrated with GNU+linux.

And this is why "windows is better" because they only manufactured these problems on GNU+linux while windows has non of these problems.

Then we go again how hard hardware manufacturers refuse to give drivers.
Seriously if hardware manufacturers where ordered by law to release their drivers under GPL or into the public domain this would not be a problem.
They are fucken hardware manufacturers they make their money of hardware not software!
Nvidia would bitch a lot about it however it literally would not even affect their profits (no one pays for their drivers).

We collaborated stuff on IRC. I'm sure you remember the leaks of the names and everything. My name was on there. It wasn't really like "collaboration" as in some kind of conspiracy or something. We'd mostly just talked about stuff and shared some stupid stuff from each board. The IRC had the mods and moot and all that too.

Some of us played DotA together. moot wanted to play Torchlight 2 when it came out but the online thing was being complete shit. I don't know why I remember that.

Being a janitor was pretty shitty. Maybe it was because I was (am) a NEET I took it more seriously than I needed to. I tried to do what was best for the users and the board though, but it was still shitty. I put it on my resume (not as 4chan) as social media management.

Actually, more and more games nowadays have 'nix native builds, and a lot of the (older, at least) ones that don't can be run reasonably well with wine.

How do I get POL to work with torrented games? I torrent almost everything I play and when I had a distro I could never get it to work. Maybe I'm retarded.

I'd also like to know how in the hell I used torrented/cracked DLCs from Crusader Kings 2 on a distro.

A few games are keeping me back from using Linux and it kind of makes me mad at myself.

Step 1: install steam package from your distribution of choice
Step 2: install linux-compatible games (eg. Paradox stuff)
Step 3: play games

GPL memers will now probably jump on me for buying software, however giving game developers a financial incentive to support linux has helped graphics driver quality. Even Stallman recognized this.

t. using linux professionally

after the fall of techloli/g/y and the deletion of dis.4chan.org /g/ has progressively been infected by crossboarders from Holla Forums and Holla Forums and redditors. the end result is a board where the free threads are either bait or tech support requests, with generals being really the only useful and comfy parts of the board. naturally /g/ got and gets worse around large events like gooblegate and the election, and apart from that the quality fluctuates from month to month. the real tipping point came when desktop threads, a cornerstone of /g/ culture for practically a decade, got banned and deleted on sight. almost all of 4chan has been infected by Holla Forums. there are rare places like /int/ where people are prepared to think for themselves and take the piss out of nazis.

maybe the people on the board that should really go to /asp/ (american sports) have the Holla Forums mindset, but brit/sp/ and au/sp/ especially won't have it.

freedom to use, change and distribute software, trust and control over what the software does, not to mention linux is far and away a better software development platform.

apart from secure boot, the problem with uefi is that it is a massive complex clusterfuck of shit. sadly it's faster than legacy BIOS mode in the order of seconds. most distros nowadays make using uefi boot simple, even slackware

i've written about this in length before. when I found lainchan it had a strong anarchist and feminist contingent. after the deletion of /cyb/, /civ/ and the wipe, ancaps have made themselves louder. it really fucks me off because i believe cyberpunk is about the struggle against the megacorps and government, which is concurrent with class struggle. ancaps are firmly in favour of the megacorps, and supposedly would love to live in a dystopian cyberpunk shithole

free as in freedom, not as in beer. you can sell GPL software but not put restrictions on it's redistribution

Pretty sure /asp/ is alternate sports & wrestling?

no.

Don't you mean /prog/?

I do

I know ISIS anti-imperialism is just a meme here. But with Rojava basically surrendering to American-Israeli imperialism, should we support the Islamic State?

Halfchan has been compromised by fascist newfags on every single board.

These are dark times for chan culture. Maybe it would be for the best if Hiro goes bust and just shuts down the entire site.

/g/ has been going down the shitter for a long time, I realized how bad it was when a couple of years ago only about half of them agreed with what Ed Snowden did. I'm sure some of the people were memers, but a lot of them are unironic shit. This sites /g/ is even worse.

I love how any time moot did or was complicit in something major it was completely by accident but whenever he actually set out to accomplish something he totally failed at it.

Typical 4chan contrarian autism where they start loving neoliberalism just when the rest of the planet decides they're sick of it.

Remember Canvas, not that anyone cares about it but case in point

/lit/ is irredeemable now

Chrome OS, got a chromebook for $50.

a classic

Self-awareness is zero between your kind.

daily reminder that shitposters are banned for much less than this