The People's Republic Of China In The Fallout Universe

Fallout 3's "People's Republic Of America" radio broadcast (Arlington Library):

m.youtube.com/watch?v=WFH0UDr7Qsc

Bethesda/Obsidian gotta go deeper into what happened to communist China after The Great War. The United States Government and a buncha other elites survived the nuclear war on The Poseidon Energy Oil Rig and went on to form The Enclave (revealed in Fallout 2) so I bet party members in China coulda survived the bombs dropping and are still a force to be reckoned with. Maybe they've got some of their people somewhere in the states still acting on their behalf, maybe this could be a part of the next Fallout game or DLC actually set in a post-apocalyptic Mainland China where the player learns to challenge their preconceived notions of what communism is through quests which reward you with a buncha Chinese weapons technology and armour.

The possibilities are endless, comrades. Discuss!

I'm certain the Chinese in fallout are just as capitalist as their real world counterparts.

But maybe I'm the chaos of nuclear Armageddon actual communists were able to break away and form communist fortresses against the hundreds of millions of ghouls swarming over the Chinese mainland

Pick one, they're both shitposts.

I dunno. Almost nothing bout China is mentioned in Fallout except that they're "The Reds" or communists.

Fallout 3 and 4 are dogshit. New Vegas is where it's at.

I wish I could play NV. It just crashes constantly for me no matter what I do.

But it did make me install Morrowind, which I'm currently severely addicted to.

My n'wah

Fallout 3's atmosphere and aesthetics can't be beaten, but Fallout New Vegas is overall the better game and has a better story with the element of choice and way more quests.

What kinda Windows 98 piece of crap are you on, comrade?

Westside's pretty irrelevant to the core of the story though. They've got a militia, but ain't an official faction with quests and a reputation.

I only wish

My n'wah, it's so fantastic. It's one of those rare times where I feel that all the good things people say about a game is completely justified.

I'm just playing through vanilla right now as a spellsword (which seems like a mistake in retrospect), but does anyone have any experience with Tamriel Revisited or whatever that big overhaul mod is called?

Reminder to support the Sixth House against Cyrodiilic imperialism.

Possadism?

It has some quests, and you do get Westside-specific reputation AFAIK
it's North Vegas that's really bare

Tamriel Rebuilt? Haven't tried it yet, but I might when it's more developed.

I like those Sixth House propaganda posters. I assume the first one is based on french colonial propaganda (but it can also be seen as marx, engels and lenin), the second and third idk, the fourth reminds me of pic related

Stopped reading there. kys

Filthy humans stealing our ebony and disrespecting our ancestors! They're as bad as beastmen and don't have a soul!

While I think it would be cool to be able to see some of the rest of the world in the Fallout universe, I think it would largely be to the detriment of the narrative that they could construct around that world. One of the big themes of the Fallout games (very much so in New Vegas at least) is the underlying debate as to what degree of old-world society should be preserved in the face of the new conditions created by the post-apocalypse.

Take Caesar's Legion for example; when you meet them, you are presented with what appears to be a vile, barbaric, fascist state (titles which are not necessarily wrong). However, it is to the benefit of their story that they weren't made to be extensions of old-world fascist movements (we'll say Nazis just as a somewhat stretched example since they're still remembered within the timeframe of Fallout) because that old-world association makes it impossible to re-examine what the underlying fundamentals of their ideology means given the conditions of the new society. Even though the Legion emulates old-world society, it works because Caesar was aware that nobody in the Wasteland remembers the Romans, thus there is no nostalgia encouraging them to maintain systems/customs of the historical society that don't make sense in the post-apocalyptic society. To Caesar, emulation of the Romans merely provided a framework/metaphor sufficient enough to complete a handful of intermediate goals before that emulation was discarded in the development of a truly post-apocalyptic ideology and society.
There are other examples (although framed in the context of existing political tendencies) listed here with some degree of liberties taken:

The Chinese we've met thus far in the Fallout series have been almost quite literally ghosts of the Old World, much in the same way that many factions within post-apocalyptic America essentially amount to Pre-War cargo cults. The Chinese as the embodiment of Pre-War ideology are explicitly meant to be non-relevant in the timeframe of the games; trying to delve into apologetics in regards to their Pre-War stances misses the point that they are simply meant to be the big ambiguous enemy of time long gone. We'll never get a moment like we get with Caesar where when trying to address the ideology of the Chinese, no moment where we sit down and have a solemn discussion on the theory underlying their praxis. It's a dead end, entirely detached from the New World's material conditions.

Hahaha.
If only.

If they handed a project off to someone like Obsidian again, they absolutely could meaningfully expand on the lore. We just have to wait until all further development on Fallout 4 ends (assuming it hasn't already). That being said, if recent trends have anything to say, Bethesda seems more than willing to ride out past successes for the foreseeable future rather than start anything new (see Skyrim), so who knows if they'd even be willing to greenlight a project like that.

Obsidian is dead. Crowdfunding and Twitter genuflection have broken the team dynamic maintained clear from BIS, wherein the different autists kept each others' faggotry in check to produce strong and balanced work. Now people like Sawyer have driven out people like Avellone over PC compliance by the standards of screeching harpies on social media who don't even play games, and their replacements have been diversity hires off Tumblr & SA.

Pillars was uninspired, Tyranny was downright pathetic. It's something repeated bankruptcies and closures couldn't do, like a great rock band breaking up for good, the downfall of Bioware all over again, in miniature.

When Caesar talks about "Hegelian dialectics" he's actually talking about Fichte's dialectics. What a fucking hack.

Do you think it's intentional?

While we're on the subject can we have a mod that changes the stupid fucking robots voice to something less American? It's obserdly annoying and I want to just share it or a video clip of Liberty Prime going something like "Communism is true Democracy" or some bullshit propaganda you'd expect the Soviets or Chinese to produce during the Cold War

No, most people simply don't know the difference.