Any expatriates on this board?

Any expatriates on this board?

Was your move politically motivated?
Got any advice for those who want to move?
I want to get out of the US.

Other urls found in this thread:

gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa
gov.uk/tier-2-general
gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y/you-have-a-work-visa/tier-2-general-visa
gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen
gov.uk/tier-2-general/switch-to-this-visa
gov.uk/join-family-in-uk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I want to become one myself, but in your case wouldn't it be easier to move to a remote area instead of a different country? That way the government and typical Burger city folk won't be a pain in the neck at every turn.

OP why don't you try this? The US is like 20 countries.

In my case, I'm a type 1 diabetic and will always have a hard time affording health care in the US, especially with they way this country is going. Becoming a naturalized citizen after a handful of years in a country with a modern health system would be ideal.

Probably because anglos are cancer

don't the canucks still have ok healthcare?

I don't know about their entire health care system, but drug prices are much cheaper.

Like what? I lived abroad for a year or two

The US is a reactionary shithole. I don't subscribe to Third-Worldist thought, but when you consider that it's quite literally a settler-colony with an incredibly racist past(and present) I can't help but agree. The Right and Left of this country are basically Far-Right and Center-Left at best and the reason for that is that neither of them can ever stop harping on about identitarian issues long enough to even consider issues of class.

J. Sakai's Settlers is one book that is so inaccurate that it is basically fiction, but it is exactly the sort of fiction that Americans are enraptured by, it is a fiction that Americans will keep investing in until the crops wither and the oceans boil. I fucking hate it here, revolution will never come here.

Death To America.

Let the US be the shitty backwards state it wants to be and flee with the rest of the Intelligentsia to europe and maybe we can have another golden age of innovation like the one following the german Intelligentsia fleeing the nazis

I want to move from the US to the UK. Their gov is shit but I like the environment and have people there I want to be closer to. Sadly I don't have a grandparent born in the UK or Ireland, nor do I have the experience or money to open a business, nor do I have someone to marry there right off, nor do I have a degree in anything. I also may go to a different country than that later on.

For what I want to accomplish I don't have other options atm.

I'm British but live in Texas.

It's reactionary as fuck. Even Austin is shit tier white Liberalism but you do meet a few good comrades. Austin is a fun city though, I do love it.

Moved when I was 12. Dad's job.

It's better than Houston fam. I'm moving to Austin or LA next year and can't wait to leave this concrete shit hole.

I want outta this shithole. Is it advisable to renounce your American citizenship once you become a citizen of another country?

start a settlers thread plz

I think you have to if you want to avoid paying taxes in the US. That being said, you wouldn't be missing out on anything.

How hard is it to get into Ireland? Aren't they bleeding emigrates of their own?

I don't know. I didn't look into it. I brought up Ireland because you can get an ancestry visa if your parent or grandparent was born in the UK including Ireland when it was still part of the UK.

My great grandad fighting in the IRA should count for something.

Don't they try to make you pay taxes afterward anyway, even if you renounce your citizenship?

just move to Canada guys honestly. Of all the Anglo countries for an American to move to its the most sensible

I want to move in a large part because of American culture, of which Canada is not far removed.

As a burger who also hates burger culture, I too would like to be as far removed as I can.

You are fucking immigrants. Don't you dare try to justify that shit by calling yourself that. You hate my countrymen who come into your country, don't be a fucking hypocrite

why are you so mad over OP not using a synonym for a single word

I've never seem anyone using expat to describe a Mexican person who went to America. People use expat as like a "good immigrant", to differentiate themselves from filthy brown immigrants

No one in this thread is complaining about immigrants or expatriates or whatever word you want to use except for you.

Go back to mtw trash twitter with that shit.

Bruh I do live in Houston. I went to UT as an undergrad and moved back to Houston after.

I fucking hate this city so much. My Dad gets genuinely angry at me when I bring up how miserable this place makes me but I feel trapped in this shithole. I just feel the entire City is built for Capitalist consumption. There's no public spaces and the lack of zoning is a fucking nightmare.

expat(riate) has a broader meaning than immigrant.

Yes.
Not politically, but economically.
Try to live near a university, so you can radicalize the youth.
Moving outside US is not going to help you. You've been infected with American ideology an that shit will stay with you always.

If Corbyn wins I'm actually moving there.

Immigrant of choice versus immigrant of need. I think a better term for beaners in the US wouldn't be "immigrant" but "economic refugee".

I wonder how hard it is to be an illegal immigrant in europe but one from another western country.

Seriously, how do they avoid being caught?

Isn't the whole point of going from the US to Europe, the benefits you as a citizen would enjoy being subject to a saner government? Aside from the the government, people, and economy, Europe is an overpopulated, overdeveloped sardine can.

I was told you can go to any EU country if you immigrate to just one EU country but I also had others say that isn't the case if you werent originally from a EU country.

Yes but how does that relate to people entering illegally from not having proper credentials to get in otherwise?

Because you're a criminal hiding from the authorities, instead of someone entitled to all the benefits and obligations of permanent citizenship.

Also, if you're American, the fees to immigrate legally (I think around $1k-$5k last I checked) should be entirely affordable, especially considering it costs about the same to ship cargo overseas, unless you're a starving student with only a roomful of milk cartons to your name.

I'm eligible for dual citizenship in the US and an EU country, but I probably wouldn't leave the US unless it looked like it was about to implode and have a civil war, in which case I would just move to Germany or Sweden. On the other hand, a civil war is a real possibility in the US, and the EU could very well have a sudden right-wing turn over the Muslim issue, so I guess I'd not really be safe there either.

Burgerland would obviously have a reactionary revolution, and most of the military would be siding with the reactionaries. If there was an actual revolution America would probably end up being split into at least 5 countries. The problem is that many of them would basically be Dixified, which is shit, and the Northeast and West Coast countries would rapidly start bringing in a ton of Muslim and Mexican migrants.

also:
kek
Russia would probably roll tanks into the Baltics and China would start some mischief in the South China Sea if America looked like it would be too occupied with domestic uprisings, too.

I happen to be American, yes. Which country or countries you can immigrate to just by paying a fee of a few thousand dollars? I havent come across anything like that before. Closest I saw was starting a business for a certain price that hires a certain number of locals.

Emigrated to America about 10 years ago, because sapience and the ability to think is considered treason back where I come from.

It's good to be free. I'd join the army if I could.

What country did you leave?

Since learning the language and culture is one of the requirements, most of the detailed information for most countries isn't in English, of course. So I'll be using the UK as a specific example, owing to my gobslobbering burger ignorance of foreign languages:

First, unless you can wrangle a job remotely, is a tourist-y visa, in this case the Standard Visitor Visa. You apply at least 3 months before you visit, it costs $113 for 6 months, or $430-$980 for 2-10 years of noncontiguous 6-month visas, and $1.2k-$2k if you want to extend any single continuous visit by another 6 months.
gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa

Next is some sort of work visa. As an example, I'll be using a 5-year Tier-2 General Visa (jobs with a >$38k/year income), that takes 1-3 months to process after getting a job offer before you can start work, and requires $1.1k-$1.9k in fees, plus a health surcharge of probably under $1k.
gov.uk/tier-2-general

Once you've lived in the UK for 5 years, you can apply for settlement, which requires a $2k-$3.7k fee.
gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y/you-have-a-work-visa/tier-2-general-visa

Finally, after another year, you can naturalize as a full citizen, requiring $1.7k in fees.
gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen

Note that various special conditions (M.Sc. or Ph.D. job, completing a course of higher education in the UK, low-labor-supply job, fucking a Brit) will reduce or totally eliminate many fees and delays.

All of the other European countries' requirements and procedures (not to mention the US itself, for foreigners) look basically the same from what material I can understand.

I mentioned this to my dad and he was all like "heh but I know (filthy rich) Canadians who have to wait in LINE for health care so they come here"

If I ever get out of the States and get reasonably settled wherever else I'm renouncing my US citizenship I'm pretty fucking done with burgerstan

Problem is to get a work visa it usually has to be a in demand job with a degree that they have a shortage of. The exception being job transfers from one company lcoation to another. Also they have a certain waiting period even for ordinary jobs to make sure a local wont take the job. In the case of a visitor visa I didnt know you could pay to stay longer but arent you not allowed to work while on that kind of visa?

Yeah, you can't work with a visitor visa, but you are allowed to look for work. In particular, if you already have an "in" with an employer, they can sponsor you for a couple thousand, allowing you to skip some steps. And you're right that just like the US, European countries generally require employers to make a good faith effort at hiring locals for a position before they can bring in a foreigner.

So you can just switch from visa to another without having to go back in between though? Like you can go visitor visa then get a work visa then apply for citizenship?

Hmm, apparently not from a visitor visa, you have to leave temporarily and apply from abroad for an employment visa, very silly. Although you can switch directly from some other visas:
gov.uk/tier-2-general/switch-to-this-visa

Well that is pretty stupid. Makes it harder to get a job that way. And their pay requirements rules out the ability to just do minimum wage jobs apparently unless they were raised from what I last saw it was. It's pretty ridiculous a person with English and Scottish ancestry from a Western country with a similar culture would have to jump through so much hoops to get in.

IMHO, the idea of anywhere accepting minimum wage immigrants feels kinda' wrong. But I guess it's no worse in principle than moving from one state to another in the US, since economically the various 1st-world countries are about on par (in fact, PPP median income is higher in the US than most of Europe) with each other.

That said, if you're a student (especially a younger one, they like 'em young), and you complete a higher education in the country you want to live in, it's pretty certain to swing that into a long-term visa. Similarly, if you work for a giant transnational corporate blob, and they have openings in the country you want to move to, that also seems pretty reliable, especially if you're on good terms with your boss.

The EU does it too. Anyone from a EU country can work where they want in the EU. Also i dont know about others but the point for me is not getting a job its getting with a girl to eventually marry and being involved in the culture as well as trying to influence the people to turn away from capitalism so I say it's well justified. I dont have the cash or focus ability to do uni even though i enjoy learning. I do poorly in formal education. Im jobless atm.

You do realize we're on a leftist board.
I don't give a rat's ass about nationality or any of that shit. Mexicans, Ecuadorians, Peruvians, whatever, come to America if you really want. It's a shithole I'm getting out of if I can.

If this is a specific girl who you're serious about, then (in the case of the UK, for instance, and somewhat similarly for other European countries, from what I can tell) if she's a citizen, you intend to marry her within 6 months, and she's earning >$24k, you can get a family visa that allows you to work/study for 6 months, at the end of which you can immediately apply for citizenship:
gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

Oh I know that but it's not that simple for my case since we arent together but I know she would date me but certainly not go to marriage that fast. Girls in european countries are easier to talk to than ones in the US anyway at least for me so its also in general so that isnt an option. I have other motives than that too of course though.

Canada seems like the best bet. My plan's to get a grad degree either there or in the UK, then hopefully I can become a professor at some comfy university. Seems like the life.

Ah, well, if you have enough savings to last, I guess you can loaf around overseas on a tourist visa for years, until you get something sustainable going.

Oh, and:
Except for a very lucky few, we work to live, not live to work. C'est la vieā€¦

anyone moved to China?

Why would anyone want to move to China if you're not a capeshit? It has the freest economy and the highest rates of cronyism in the whole world.

Yeah any basic job would do or alternative forms of income. Wait actually that makes me wonder if one can do freelance work on a visitor visa. I mean it doesnt take any job positions away from locals and you're your own boss. Assuming it's something that doesnt require a license.