Daily News Thread 6/12

Puerto Rico votes in referendum to ask to become US state

The US territory of Puerto Rico has voted to ask Congress to make it America's 51st state.
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40222376

Russia protests: 'Hundreds detained' at opposition rallies

Hundreds of people have been detained at anti-corruption rallies in Moscow and St Petersburg, an NGO says.
bbc.com/news/world-europe-40245152

Delta, Bank of America pull support for theater following Trump-like ‘Julius Caesar’

A Julius Caesar with blond hair and a suit was enough to scare Delta and Bank of America away from the theater. The organizations withdrew their sponsorship of The Public Theater in New York following allegations the group was taking aim at Donald Trump.
rt.com/viral/391926-delta-boa-trump-theatre/

Melania Trump, Son Barron Move Into the White House

After nearly five months of living apart, President Donald Trump's wife, Melania, announced Sunday that she and the couple's young son have finally moved into the presidential mansion at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-06-12/melania-trump-son-barron-move-into-the-white-house

IT company accused of threatening redundancy for staff who voted Labour

An IT company in Watford has been accused of threatening to make all staff who voted Labour in the recent general election redundant if Jeremy Corbyn's party had won.
ibtimes.co.uk/it-company-accused-threatening-redundancy-staff-who-voted-labour-1625924

Will Tory-DUP deal reignite N. Ireland’s Catholic-Protestant tensions?

Northern Ireland’s Protestant Orange Order has urged the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) to use its newfound political influence over Tory Prime Minister Theresa May to get a ban on its controversial annual march lifted.
rt.com/uk/391968-dup-orange-tory-deal/

France election: Macron party set for big parliamentary win

The centrist party of French President Emmanuel Macron looks on course to win a landslide victory following the first round of parliamentary elections.
bbc.com/news/world-europe-40242531

Norway to ban full-face veil in nurseries, schools and universities

Norway is proposing a ban on the Muslim full face veil and other face-covering clothing because it says it hinders communication between pupils and teachers.
bbc.com/news/world-europe-40251760

Israel approves largest West Bank settlement construction in 25 years

Israel has greenlighted plans for over 8,000 new homes in the West Bank, with over a third for “immediate” construction, the defense minister revealed on Sunday, making it the largest expansion of Jewish settlements in the area in 25 years.
rt.com/news/391895-israel-approved-largest-settlements/

Supreme Court speeds copycat biologic drugs to market

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday cut the time it will take for copycat versions of biologic drugs to get to the market in a pivotal ruling about an expensive class of medicines that can yield billions of dollars in sales for drug companies.
reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-biologics-idUSKBN1931OF

Mexico leftist party says will not join other parties in presidential run

Mexico's leftist National Regeneration Movement (MORENA) party chief Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador ruled out on Sunday aligning with other traditional political parties in the run-up to the 2018 presidential elections. "Those who associate themselves and deal with the mafia of power are nothing more than opportunist mercenaries and politicians … as such we can't move forward with those parties," Lopez Obrador said in a speech to MORENA party members and supporters in Mexico City.
reuters.com/article/us-mexico-election-idUSKBN192174?il=0

Other urls found in this thread:

truthdig.com/report/item/corbyn_teaches_to_embrace_change_we_need_20170611/
nakedcapitalism.com/2017/06/whats-cost-keeping-pharma-stooge-senators-like-patty-murray-office.html
rt.com/op-edge/391958-aylan-omran-child-victims-syria-propaganda/
reuters.com/news/picture/anti-sharia-rallies-set-off-duelling-pro?articleId=USRTS16Q5O
boards.4chan.org/p/thread/3089786
youtube.com/watch?v=HVkMX4p1kpI
youtube.com/watch?v=NTm4IwnfNH0
channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-eva-bartletts-claims-about-syrian-children
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OP/ED

What the U.S. Can Learn from the U.K. Election and Jeremy Corbyn

The Labour Party leader teaches that we should embrace the radical change needed to inspire people to take action and shift the realm of the possible.
truthdig.com/report/item/corbyn_teaches_to_embrace_change_we_need_20170611/

What’s the Cost of Keeping Corrupt Pharma-Stooge Senators Like Patty Murray in Office?

Why Democratic voters need to turf out Senators who put the profits of drug companies above their constituents' needs.
nakedcapitalism.com/2017/06/whats-cost-keeping-pharma-stooge-senators-like-patty-murray-office.html

Meet Aylan & Omran: Child victims used for Syrian war propaganda

In September 2015, a young boy was found washed up on a beach in Turkey. Photos of Aylan Kurdi's lifeless body were quickly splashed across mass media, much the same way that Omran Daqneesh's photo inside an ambulance would also be disseminated.
rt.com/op-edge/391958-aylan-omran-child-victims-syria-propaganda/

ty newsanon>>1763031
I'm sure this will have no negative consequences whatsoever

TYBNewsAnon2.0

Tbh I'm actually for people not covering up their faces in public institutions.

The thing I'm wondering is - why? Just feels like a populist as fuck move. I've only seen a full face veil one time (here in Norway) and I can't imagine there being that many in the public institutions.

Can't say I'm against it, but I don't see the point of it.

There is no point other than to appeal to the far-right. It's like when Trump promised the wall only more realistic.

That applies to protests too, you know.

In before Lares spergs out about the referendum

Pictures: Anti-Sharia rallies set off duelling protests

Just some cool pics from the latest LARPcon.
reuters.com/news/picture/anti-sharia-rallies-set-off-duelling-pro?articleId=USRTS16Q5O

more: boards.4chan.org/p/thread/3089786
just ignore the screeching

I always feel bad for Americans on Holla Forums.

It's a populist move to make sure they deal with a problem that is made out to be way worse than it actually is.

Waiting for it to become a problem sounds like a terrible idea

I hope this get implemented here too now.
This way, you avoid all the bad PR because there aren't many (if any) people working in that condition.
If you waited and were to leave a hundred people on the street, it would be a mess.

also
this meme needs to die

Now you're assuming it's going become a problem and I don't know of anything that's pointing towards it. With your reasoning there's a ton of different things you could ban because "there might be trouble" even though nothing is pointing towards it.

Something appeals to a group of right-wing people that isn't really even a concern or prevalent in society it sure sounds like populism. I even stated I have no problem with it but I dont see the point of at it all besides appealing to right-wingers and antimuslim sentiment.

Hope something comes of this just for those poor people over there.

I'm honestly surprised this isn't getting much discussion. This is potentially a really big deal.

LOL. Lauren looks seriously uncomfortable there. Though there's anyone that deserves to have disgusting sperglets fawning over them it's her.

look at it.
it ain't right.

Who cares, it'll burn just as well with fifty one stars as fifty

Not really, it has to go through congress and they shoot it down every time

she's not uncomfortable stop projecting, those guys have acceptable facial geometry and are both "cute" they could approach a girl of her caliber in a bar and get a light rejection at worst if not at least a short conversation and a few drinks. Stop with this nonsense sex/gene warfare shit. Leftists and rightists are composed of all types and all types will be seen among them.

youtube.com/watch?v=HVkMX4p1kpI

Maybe we can formalise the UK joining the USA to even it out.

t. disgusting sperglet

There's literally nothing wrong with prohibiting veils in the name of universalism and humanist secularism. It also takes way ammunition for the right. Stop apologizing for islam.

Is there any hope for the internet? Reddit is already overrun with bots and shills. Is the only way forward to disconnect and commit to the immortal science of dialectical materialism?

I literally wrote "I'm actually for people not covering up their faces in public institutions", how am I apologizing for Islam? But has a point. It's a tricky area.

Probably not in the current form. Any even nominally free interaction will have to be conducted on a parallel networks of sites, portals, channels and IM-services that are parasitic on the state/corporate net.

Guy on the right looks a bit like Frank 'The Viper' Higgins

Just combine the Dakotas or something

banning the veil does nothing to stop islamic terror. It's a useless gesture.

uhhh im drunk idk if I quote everyone properly
sorry

who says its only about islamic terror?
long live laicite!

Wait, so I heard that Reality Star chick actually leaked stuff about Russia hacking the US election. I haven't kept up with this Russia nonsense, did I miss anything lately?

It sends a message that fundamentalist islam is not wanted.
To be honest there are some really backwards communities popping up, and they can go fuck themselves. A teacher I know recently had a norwegian girl from a somalian-background throw a temper tantrum in his class, because he had refereed to boko haram as terrorists, they where in her eyes "freedom fighters that did noting wrong and treat women with respect". Retards like that will make life very difficult for all immigrants, and Europe cant afford more religious tensions.

Reality Winner? She "leaked" some NSA document that's literally nothing to The Intercept. All that it says is, according to an "anonymous source" actors of Russian origin, via gmail, tried to phish account information from election officials in American Samoa and a couple other places in the continental US (iirc). No names, no evidence, no nothing. Considering that we now know that the Alphabet Agencies have the ability to spoof that sort of information and can appear as literally anyone, it makes it less than worthless.

TBH it makes me suspicious as to why she'd risk jail over a document so completely devoid of value.

The leaked NSA stuff I read basically said some likely Russian hackers attempted to compromise a company involved with the voting machines or some shit. Even the report itself said that there was no evidence it got close to having any actual impact on the votes.

Reality Winner?
Is it bad that I'm highly suspicious of this just because of her dumbass name?

So you admit it's just about spiting people you don't like?

The entire point of this policy is to avoid dealing with these realities.

It was a government ploy to dissaude other leakers. She was one of the numerous blank canvas bodies the powers that be have to do their bidding whenever necessary. They let AI choose the name this time around. It generated Reality Winner.

Just let him keep virtue signaling. No skin off my back and keeps them from shitting up legitimate rl organizing

I believe she actually goes by Sarah. Probably doesn't like her real name very much.

Footage from the pro-independence protest in San Juan taking place same day of the referendum.

Literally the opposite of what they should be doing. They should vote for independence and tell the Yankee colonial governors to go home.

But Reality Winner is what she changed her name to

Wait, she changed her name to that? Damn I thought it was the opposite. Weird girl.

Oh I'd love to see RTs pathetic spin on that one

The point is crime fucking prevention. It could easily be anybody in one of those get ups, a terrorist pretending to be a woman etc. You can't walk down the street wearing a Ski Mask for the same reason
It's only politicized by IdPol fagtards

Pls no. Having a very poor state in America would just make shit worse here. America shouldn’t have 51 states. Just give it independence already.

When they do cover domestic Russian protests they usually gloss over it and state those arrested were troublemakers. Usually they completely ignore them. Pretty much what I'd expect for any state run media. Been hilarious watching telesur's coverage of the protests in Venezuela.

Thats a very fair point.

How does anyone even see Gaius Julius Caesar in Trump? Shakespeare's Caesar is a sympathetic figure who is wrongfully betrayed in the name of preserving the republic. If the play follows Shakespeare faithfully it makes his killers out to be the bad guys or at least dupes.

But then who would Greater Dakota accuse of fucking sheep? Montana?

The usa already has plenty of poor states in the south, the debt of puerto rico really isn't all that much of a burden on the country and it definitely will get fixed over time

They can't afford independence, the island's closest trading partner is the usa and they would have to get by on farming to get anything done at all. The increase in tourism after the become a state would help them out massively in the economic department.

Puerto Rico is probably richer than Mississippi or Alabama.

Puerto Rico would be a fun place to go. The beaches are not the best in the Caribbean, but San Juan has some cool colonial-era stuff. I bet the rum is cary cheap as well.

crazy

President Trump Leads a Cabinet Meeting

youtube.com/watch?v=NTm4IwnfNH0

Probably one of the more bizarre things I've seen. It gets good about 12 minutes in when all the cabinet members take turns sucking Trump's dick.

Yeah, that's what they ought to do, but that would get them Haiti'd faster than you could say "andele!"

At least as a state they'll have access to instruments to let them restructure their debt and/or declare bankruptcy, which I'm entirely sure is why it won't happen. Better an island of slaves than an island of forgiven debts.

I don't know about Alabama. We have a lot of military and NASA contractors around Huntsville and a growing tech sector among other things in Birmingham.

I'm sure this will inspire confidence in the American people.

He's a transitory figure much like Caesar was. Julius Caesar marked the end of the Republic and the beginning of the Empire. Trump marks the end of the old political order, the separation of the bourgeois and political castes, and their integration directly into governmental mechanisms. Caesar's innovation was the unprecedented, unlimited concentration of state power into a single individual. Trump's innovation is that the bourgeois have dispensed with the old political class, who are now no longer necessary, and, thanks to the past century of partisan politics, have effectively constructed a government impossible to change. The old political class are now vassals of the bourgeois, to whom they're completely beholden, and who can be easily circumvented by someone like Trump.

That's really what's scary about him, what comes after. Trump has no constituency, no policies to defend, no career to jeopardize, and he sits in a seat of unlimited power. He just wants it to make money, which he's spectacularly positioned to do, since as president he'll basically have carte blanche to pick the winners and losers of the next crash, which is likely to happen some time during his presidency. We are in uncharted historical territory of terrible and treacherous character.

The old rules of civil government no longer apply. In fact, Trump and those like him have no desire and really no need for effective, functioning government, which if it existed would only be a hindrance to them. Everything that once protected workers will be either dismantled or left to rot. Profits, and human suffering, will be more plentiful than ever before. And that's just the beginning.

I would have given Pompey that distinction. Dat grain supply. The empire was inevitable when that became a thing.

Trumptards really are the new sjws.

Kennedy was fabulously wealthy when he took office, and his family was bourgeois royalty. They did not call his administration "Camelot" for nothing.

Oh hell no. The office of the presidency is not a fraction as powerful as people think it is. If anything he lost power when he took the office. Every time he has attempted to buck the neoliberal establishment he has fallen flat on his face.

I think that since the election Trump has realized that they do indeed need the facade of representative rule. The whole "Russian hacking" non-story is an attempt to legitimize the electoral process. If the Russians stole the election, then they can pretend that the public cannot recognize that their votes do not matter for a little longer.

That happened thirty-some years ago.

Yeah, you're definitely not wrong. In reality things can't usually be divied up into perfectly separate parts. Sulla, Pompei, and Caesar were all part of a unique period in the process of Roman history, but I personally affix the prime role to Julius on account of him moving beyond the "traditional" dictatorial position inhabited by Pompeii and Sulla and setting the stage for Augustus and the 450 years of imperial Rome to follow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but JFK himself wasn't a businessman, was he? He served in WW2 and was a politician before becoming president, am I right? I think the distinction is that Trump transferred directly into the presidency without any previous political experience. He bypassed the whole political process that RFK, JFK, etc all went through, the cursus honorum so to speak.

But thank you for bringing that up. It's a point I hadn't really considered before.

I should have qualified it as unlimited executive power. The Presidency has always had vague, undefined powers, but until the Cold War and more recently the War on Terror, they have at least somewhat been kept in check by the other branches of government. Now you have the president behaving in flagrantly unconstitutional ways without any check or censure, and I believe that it's only going to continue.

In my opinion the whole investigation with Comey and so on is just political theater meant to obfuscate that. I think other billionaires, the Kochs, Gates, etc, also realize the novelty of Trump and what someone in their employ in that position would accomplish. Instead of having to keep a fleet of lobbyists on call, you just have to buy a president.

I'm not sure I entirely agree or disagree. To me it seems as though Trump is increasingly frustrated with keeping up the facade, but I do think there is a heavy element of upper class delusion in perpetrating the story. The FBI investigation theater might be a part of that as well.
Well, I think I'd say that it started then, but it's definitely ongoing now. Apparently the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the law that keeps creditors from harassing people, calling them at work, at 2 in the morning, etc, was semi-undone in a unanimous decision by the supreme court. They say that it only applies to the entities that take out the loan in the first place, not whoever they might sell it to. I think it's obvious it's only going to keep going, if not outright accelerate.

Thank you all for your responses. I hope my theories aren't too ridiculous.

Really Puerto Rico, you don't want that

Bullshit. Puerto Rico is probably much poorer.

It says in the article itself that it's poorer than any USA state.

lol triggered trumpcucks
why do they all have such faggot names? is this Porky rubbing our noses in it by making us lead by people named Lamer, Dick, Bush, Colon and now this shit? Fuck
fuck you in your fagot ass Norway gov't, this has nothing to do with communication and you know it you cowardly cucks. What was the falseflag excuse for this anyway, somebody with a butter knife killed 3 because you guys banned those like Bongistan did?
lol holy shit the IRA might actually start fighting for 2D loli and traps like that one user said
Holla Forums will defend this
naz/pol/ will defend this

yes, yes there is a whole lot wrong with that, like the dangerous precedent it sets, the fact that it de-facto bans not just muslims but smashies or other masked protesters, and the fact that, as other anons mentioned, it will only piss people off.

MORENA/Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador Bordigist confirmed?

It takes too much thinking to argue for independence. On a superficial level, it makes more sense to become a state.

Sorry but Eva Bartlett is a propagandist for the Assad regime.
channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-eva-bartletts-claims-about-syrian-children

Augustus did a pretty amazing job of setting the stage for himself. The way that he outmaneuvered everybody and took advantage of every opportunity and resource at his disposal was completely insane. I am no believer in the Great Man Theory, but if there is a poster child for it he is Augustus.

No, he was old money. Following his elder brother's death he was the scion of an incredibly rich and powerful family. His father got him a job at a newspaper just to keep him busy until his brother died at which point he inherited his father's plan to have a president for a son. The Kennedys were not unlike the Bushes.

Lincoln personally blew every limit on executive authority out of the water. Dude was the American Stalin.

Oh my god, yes.

Good lord, I can't imagine a place looking much worse than Mississippi.

ftfy

I didn't think the American flag could be made any uglier, but you somehow pulled it off.

honestly, I can't tell the difference.

Only 23% of registered voters voted though. Someone with money and power REALLY wants Peurto Rico to be a state, everytime this shit comes up there's huge statistical fudging to make it look more popular than it really is. The last poll 2 years ago did something similar where the options were confusing and conflated "become a state" with "change territorial status".

t. sperglord

The one on the left has lips that look like they've been stretched by dick and the one on the right looks like they have downs syndrome.

I see your cunning plan. They can't hate us for our freedom if we don't have any freedom.

Where do you think you are?

Why can't we just have state atheism?

you mean Syrian Government