Drug crisis pushes up mortality rate for Americans in their prime

wsws.org/en/articles/2017/06/10/mort-j10.html

By Shelley Connor
10 June 2017

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/debraborchardt/2017/02/22/marijuana-industry-projected-to-create-more-jobs-than-manufacturing-by-2020/#2696f7da3fa9
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

wow holy shit im glad we had a peer reviewed study to figure this out.

Oh yes its gookposter.

depressing

Just don't inject heroin.

Am I the only one who has a boner after reading this?

probably yeah

Pro-drug leftists have a lot to answer for tbqh

Yeah, she would be really hot if she had a dick, but she's kinda gay without.

Black tar heroin™: now with even more eugenics

damn now i want some dope

agreed

The biggest reason why people overdose on opioids is the lack of a reliable supply of pure drugs. When the dose isn't consistent it's really easy to overdo it, especially when the street markets have been flooded with fentanyl and other really powerful opioids.

These people who overdose aren't bad people. They're generally just people who got prescribed opioids, got addicted, and then when their doctor stopped prescribing them they had to go to street to fuel their addiction. The people who caused this aren't the street dealers you fucking mongoloid.

the doctors might as well be street dealers. slimy fucks will give you 60 oxys after a minor routine just to keep you from coming back. they need to be dealt with first in my opinion

Opioids are addictive, there's no way around that, but the issue isn't that people are getting addicted, it's the coercive arrangement that selling drugs in a capitalist economy necessarily puts people in. If you've ever been addicted to drugs you'd know that most of the harm associated with addiction comes from poor quality drugs and poverty, not the actual drugs themselves.

I never said they were bad people honestly these people are the victims of both big pharma, the cartels and the lumpen. You guys who keep pushing for further drug liberalization are helping to kill them–its killing off a generation of young workers and things have gotten to the point that you can't even deny it anymore. You just make excuses and apologies and meanwhile perfectly healthy working class kids who'll never make it to 30 are dropping left and right.

And don't give me that muh alcohol and muh tobacco whataboutism because I'm straight edge.

They absolutely are responsible although not nearly as culpable as the cartel and street gang bosses who work with the CIA and the crooked cops.

Marx said that the ideologues of the lumpenproletariat were the enemies of the working class movement and history keeps proving him right.

i am currently addicted to drugs and have been for half my life and to act like they are safe in and of themselves is to be totally ignorant of reality. there's always chronic conditions associated with using this shit for too long like any other medicine - to deny that and pretend it's a purity issue is retarded

So am I, and I never said that they're safe in and of themselves. My claim was that a majority of the harm associated with opioid addiction isn't caused by the drug itself. I'm not advocating for the status quo. Nice try though.
Recreational use of hard drugs isn't as inherently bad as you're trying to make it out to be. Obviously it's not great for you, but the focus shouldn't be on cracking down on sellers of drugs, it should be on helping addicts.

You're a moron if you think that cracking down on drug sales will make the drug problem. The only humane way to deal with high rates of drug addiction is promoting harm reduction and rehabilitation to addicts. People will do drugs regardless of whether it's allowed or not.
Lmaooooooo you're a moralizing retard and your opinion literally doesn't matter. You're not special because you don't do drugs.

She is literally perfect.

How is drug liberalization in any way related to this epidemic? If people had access to the relatively much safer, cheaper, and plentiful marijuana they generally wouldn't need to be prescribed opioids in the first place. Opioids are prescribed because they're profitable while marijuana is illegal because it isn't.

Oh, gross.

How much worse will things get before they get better, I wonder?

Better make sure you get your 2 scoops

Shit, I might have to get 3 before America turns into ancap paradise and I'll get shot for leaving my house.

I've been taking Tramadol for 15 years. Back then it was branded as a non-addictive pain medication.
It is ruining my life and I just can't seem to quit. I wish I would have been warned about the real drug peddlers. Doctors.

I realize I hold most of the responsibility. I was young and trusted my doctor too much. It is insanely easy to fall into this trap.

Lol @ all this

For a second I thought I'd time-traveled back in time to 2007

Does being straight edge mean you can't make arguments either or

Wew, two things that I literally didn't say. Nice arguments there fam.
Government sponsored harm reduction and rehabilitation are literally the only things that can be done to fight the drug trade under capitalism. Going after addicts and small-time dealers only hurts the people who are the most negatively effected by drugs, and going after cartels is a useless waste of time. As long as it continues to be profitable drugs will continue to be sold.

Desperate times call for desperate actions

Were talking about opioids,not weed. Big difference

Go to your familes house and have them lock you in for a few weeks and have it so you can’t go out to get drugs. Kinda like a huge rest, and then wait for the addiction to stop.

Are you 12 thats not how addiction works

The main reason that Opioid users can't stop is that they're trying to avoid the withdrawal. If you can get someone to look after you for a week or so you'll be able to get over that. Addiction is hard to get over, but it's hardly unbeatable given a little willpower and good friends/family.

Where to start? The unproved assumption that people will stop using opiates and other hard drugs just because they can smoke weed legally? Or the factually wrong assertion that weed isn't legal everywhere in the US because the multi-bilion dollar legal wee do infustry isn't profitable?
forbes.com/sites/debraborchardt/2017/02/22/marijuana-industry-projected-to-create-more-jobs-than-manufacturing-by-2020/#2696f7da3fa9