GNUSSR

I made a new board for libre and anti-capitalist software discussion. It's like Holla Forums or /g/, but with explicit rules against proprietary software shilling, and with a political component.
>>>/gnussr/
This thread is also meant as a cycled continuation of the Soviet Cybernetics thread, which got fucked up during the hack. It would be great if someone would please salvage stuff from that thread:

I am testing the waters for >>>/gnussr/. If any of my volunteers want to volunteer on it as well, please PM me. If anyone else is interested, please post ITT and I will evaluate and consider opening up applications. I think >>>/gnussr/ could be able to provide a home to a type of discussion that currently doesn't have a true home on the internet right now. If there is not enough interest for a standalone board, I will eventually edit this OP to serve solely as a libre software / Soviet cybernetics general.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/sorceryofthespectacle/
reddit.com/r/sorceryofthespectacle/comments/64bfte/a_roadmap_to_exodus_and_glory/
ceptr.org/
metacurrency.org/
coalitionofinvisiblecolleges.org/
coalitionofinvisiblecolleges.org/colleges/
coalitionofinvisiblecolleges.org/guilds/
metamute.org/editorial/articles/wandering-abstraction
coalitionofinvisiblecolleges.org/guilds/hackers/
coalitionofinvisiblecolleges.org/guilds/librarians/
libcom.org/tags/invisible-committee
au.af.mil/au/afri/aspj/airchronicles/aureview/1967/mar-apr/sleeper.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Cybersyn
stallman.org/articles/extreme.html
software.opensuse.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Void Linux

video related

We need to have some guides to get comrades using Linux. It is a major problem for leftism that our vanguards and cadres are basically snitching on themselves to the CIA by using Windows.

Would you recommend a beginner distro?

Debian is fairly easy to install and isn't bad for learning how to use GNU/Linux (although if you want something truly secure (I assume so, given that you're posting here), I'd recommend Qubes (medium-hard to set up) or Hardened Gentoo (hard)). Download ImgBurn, download the image from their website (just look up "Debian", you'll find it), use the program to burn the image once you've put in a CD. Then go to the boot options and select "boot from CD ROM" (I think that's what it said); you'll find it in Windows 10 under Settings > System Restore (I think it's that one, it's whichever has arrows in a circle) > Advanced Restart.
Once you boot from the CD with the image on it, it'll start giving you instructions.

OP of Soviet Cybernetics thread here. Thanks for taking attention to this - I appreciate it. I'm not sure that we have the population to sustain this, though. I'm working on a general action plan on what to "do next" (starting off by dividing the general tasks outlined in the megathread into smaller ones which necessitate real-time discussion via chat channels). I've never been to Holla Forums or /g/, but I don't see why we need our own tech board and couldn't use those for our purposes unless they're infested with Holla Forumsyps already.

Ubuntu is stupidly easy to use and install. Solus or Suse should be easy too. Fedora is very easy too, but you have to add proprietary repos in the command line. It's a single command, but it could be scary or confusing if you're a real noob. Oh, and Fedora has GNOME3 by default, which is a little bit unfamiliar to Windows or Mac users.

Thanks, I'll look into these.

none of those are noob friendly.

If we get a core of users, then we can try and shill it a bit on other boards and sites.

They're both full of Holla Forumstards, and /g/ is also infested with consumerist shitposting.

Debian's significantly more intuitive than the other two IMO. It took me ~2 days to get everything sorted out - most complicated part was fixing the drivers so I could select the right screen resolution (that was a pain; they need to fix that for Jessie).

Xubuntu. Minimal setup, minimal hassle, regularly updated.

Made a post! Looks promising. I have another post planned for some real discussion. I'll post it tomorrow when I wake up.

Try TempleOS

I'm interested in learning about computers. Reading about Bitcoin really opened my eyes to the ability of software to challenge the systems of power. I'd really like to know everything I can about hardware/software, how it's made, raw materials, physics, problems that need to be solved etc. I'd like to be able to get some robust hardware that will last for several decades and learn to create software that can solve real-world problems, like pollution mitigation.

bitcoin is an environmental disaster and 95% of its value is from drugs, ransoms, and CP.

Use libgen and get the relevant textbooks. Look at some college curricula for ideas.

Bump

So is a board about software that doesn't work

bump

Why not just use Holla Forums?

KEK

I approve of your initiative.

I second Xubuntu.

Holla Forums BTFO Holla Forumstards on a regular basis, it's one of the very few apolitical boards on this site that does it. They have a much lower tolerance level for their bullshit than other boards. Do you really want to push them to another board and kill the resistance on Holla Forums?

Flag creation thread: >>>/gnussr/41

Xubuntu is the best newbie distro

Also KDE a shit

KDE is pretty much perfect as a Windows 7 replacement. It's not so good at some other features, like overview mode.

I found it clunky as shit and for whatever reason it didn't like my GPU; Xfce runs perfect out of the box and I find it quite similar to Win7 functionality (although I did completely alter my windows GUI with rainmeter).

Guix is the Vanguard distribution, with it's pure, Guile scheme-based package manager, as it upholds the Immortal Science of McCarthy-Sussmanism with Ablesonian tendencies

It's a shame that thread was allowed to die. I've been reading about P2P web-hosting recently (freenet, zeronet, etc) and wondered if it was relevant to the kind of "cyber-communization" ideas being bounced around in that thread.

Check out this shit Gomrades

>reddit.com/r/sorceryofthespectacle/

and

>reddit.com/r/sorceryofthespectacle/comments/64bfte/a_roadmap_to_exodus_and_glory/

Plus a list of links from the above road map

>ceptr.org/

>metacurrency.org/

>coalitionofinvisiblecolleges.org/

>coalitionofinvisiblecolleges.org/

Problem is: Windows 7 a shit. If you need a replacement for a shit you should consider not using a shit in the first place.

With particular attention too:

coalitionofinvisiblecolleges.org/colleges/

and

coalitionofinvisiblecolleges.org/guilds/

let me guess, Nvidia?

The Win7 GUI is fine. XFCE, MATE, and LXDE are hardly any different.

What is it?

Yes, from a usability standpoint, the Win7 UI was fine. It was proprietary and slapped together doubtless, and missing some features (virtual desktops), but was perfectly usable. I'm too used to Linux DE features and customization to go back for regular use, but there's nothing wildly confusing about it.

What the fuck? Ceptr looks vaguely interesting at first glance, but wtf is the rest of that shit? Is it a joke?

Accelerationism, Process Philosophy and Cybernetics; Their IS a reading list in the reddit link fam.

metamute.org/editorial/articles/wandering-abstraction

Is an intro aimed at leftcoms but should hopefully be understandable more broadly too leftists.

Also

coalitionofinvisiblecolleges.org/guilds/hackers/

coalitionofinvisiblecolleges.org/guilds/librarians/

And read some shit by the invisible committee and the Tiqqun people fam

libcom.org/tags/invisible-committee

Oh good, hopefully that clears things up.

Richard Stallman stepped out into the room. We all screamed and giggled. I yelled "Richard! Richard! I love you Richard!" as I pushed my way to the front of the crowd. I held out my signed Gentoo liveCD and a felt tipped pen and begged Stallman to sign it. He looked at me with a twinkle in his eye. "What's your name?" he asked me. I choked. I couldn't say anything, I was so nervous! I opened my mouth to try to say something but I suddenly projectile vomited all over rms, covering him in half-digested white castle chicken rings. "I'm so sorry Mr. Stallman!" I said, on the verge of tears. "Don't worry about it, why don't you come back to my dressing room and help me get cleaned up?" It was a dream come true. "Of course I will, Mr. Stallman " I said. He led me back to his room and shut the door behind us. "So you didn't tell me your name yet," said rms. "Oh! I forgot! My name is Madeline!" I stammered. "Madeline, that's a very pretty name," said rms. I blushed bright red. "Would you like to help me change out of these clothes Madeline?" I dropped my Gentoo CD on the floor. I must have been dreaming, I thought. "Of course…"
I began to take off his stunning white leisure suit. I took off his coat jacket, then the floral collared shirt underneath it. I was face to face with Stallman's chiseled abs. He was covered in a thick black hair, the kind that you would find on a feral cat. He smelled distinctly of bear urine. "Have you ever been with an older man before?" he whispered softly.
I shook my head no. "Lick me," he said. I complied. I stuck my tongue out and began to lick his sweaty chest. It tasted like if you wiped your ass with a piece of salmon and then covered it in burnt hair. I was in heaven. I licked my way up to his left nipple, then his right nipple, then another nipple that was a few inches left of his right nipple. "Don't mind that," he whispered softly, "that's just my third nipple." By now he had a furious erection that stood out from his pants. "Let's go over to the couch," he said. "Okay…"
This was the moment I had been waiting for. Stallman lay prone on the couch, shivering softly. I began to unbutton his button fly. I slid his erection out from his underwear. It was immaculate. It looked like a burnt hot dog, all shriveled and blackened. His balls hung languidly bellow it, the scrotum covered in some sort of genital fungus. I noticed his peehole was located on the side of his penis, about two inches from the head. "Don't mind that, it's just my hypospadia." I began to suck. I don't know how long I sucked for, a minute, thirty seconds, ten seconds, seven seconds. It felt like a lifetime. It was pure bliss. Suddenly, he came in my mouth. I was surprised by it, and began choking. I fell backwards, splashing his golden yellow semen into my eyes. I was blinded and choking on the floor. I couldn't breathe.
Stallman began to hit me in the stomach with a bowling pin, hoping to dislodge the semen from my throat. He missed though and struck me in the back of the skull, dislodging my spinal cord and sending me into a coma. Stallman did the only honorable thing to do and stuffed me inside of a garbage bag and, thinking I was dead, throw me off of a bridge into the river. I eventually became entangled in a lobster pot and was brought ashore by a kindly fisherman. I'm a quadriplegic now and I no longer have any feeling from the neck down. But while my ability to function as a normal human being may be gone, the memories of that magical night will last for ever.

fucking lost @multiple parts

Cybernetics in the service of communism:

au.af.mil/au/afri/aspj/airchronicles/aureview/1967/mar-apr/sleeper.html

Fedora, Antergos, Manjaro (Deepin or Budgie), and anything with Waylandalready coming, avoid Ubuntu as they do spy and it's ran and managed by a capitalist company, I run an advanced distro Void Linux but for most beginners I would reccomend Manjaro Deepin

An early use of the ideas of Big Data for effective central planning of truck routes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Cybersyn

Can I still play vidya if I use Linux? Will I have to reboot my computer and shit?

Depends on the vidya.
ubuntu with nonfree drivers will play most things available on linux easily, then theres wine for the rest.
otherwise you still can install steam most anywhere else, and wine will still work, it just might take more tweaking
some games require the nonfree drivers though

What the other guy said. Also, if you have an Nvidia GPU, it will make using Linux a real pain in the ass.

Apt-get me up, Scotty!

>>>Holla Forums754334

Got deleted pretty fast, lol.

Debian is noob-friendly. Get the stable branch (Jessie) and use the graphic installer without making any custom settings during the installation process. It is really easy. I used Debian Wheezy for one year without making any updates or significant changes to the system whatsoever. The only downside is that you will have outdated software.
Ubuntu is less noob-friendly because it is less stable than Debian. You will eventually run into quite a few problems that are hard to fix for a noob.

Honestly, just do a dual-boot with Windows. It will save you much time and frustration. Having to reboot whenever you want to play is better than struggling with software like wine, especially for someone who is not very experienced with Linux.

Kek

For historiography:
(recollection from memory)
Subject: (META)
Body: So Leftypol's BO made a separate Holla Forums-like board, called >>>GNUSSR/

Why do commies feel the need to separate from us? Why do they shill that GNU is communism?

or sg like that

I'm actually surprised they took it down so fast, mein gott

And btw, this totally justifies BO's creation for >>>/gnussr/ .

Comrades, plz popularize the board, since it hurts the porkers.

I thought Nvidia have better drivers on Linux than AMD?

It has if you don't mind using the proprietary drivers.

Debian stable has old-as-shit repos and it's not as easy to get proprietary drivers and codecs as some other distros.

The correct way to shill gnussr is either to tell GPL advocates to "fuck off to >>>/gnussr/ with your commie license," in appropriate contexts, or to make a thread like that when mods are asleep.

The proprietary Nvidia drivers have better game performance, but they are really unstable for normal desktop computing (screentearing, crashes). The free Nvidia drivers are dogshit. Utter dogshit, and cards that were released in the past year still don't even have full support.

I hope you realize that Stallman is a Liberal and the GNU philosophy is a Liberalist philosophy with Left-Liberterian tendencies

Barely, if at all. He wants to marry Luxemburg ffs.

It's a stretch to call the GPL "left-libertarian" since it requires and uses the power of the state to enforce its viral forced sharing terms and conditions through the court system.

Stallman is a confused communist. If he wasn't so autistic, he'd drop the liberal pretenses.

I thought he wanted to fuck dolphins and corpses:
stallman.org/articles/extreme.html

shilly bump

in FALC, all neets will get a state-issued dolphin gf

Try Mint
- Intuitive UI similar to that of Win 10
- Comes with pre-installed firefox, office software, CD burner, etc
- Has a built-in software "store"
- Easy to customise, with lots of options

I prefer corpses, tbh.

It's how most people who use Linux install it. You could try using Rufus with Wine to write an ISO to a USB and boot from that, I guess.

This nigga be trolling.

I'm pretty new to this, but I look on the websites for various distros and they all have ISO downloads. AFAIK, you burn the ISO to a device (usually a CD or USB), restart your computer, and boot from it to install the distro. Where is this wrong?

Most laptops aren't even produced with CD/DVD-readers anymore. USB is by far the preferred installation method.

wut r our rebbit ally subs?
>>>/gnussr/225

sum hard packin goin on in this thread:

UK fags will defend their Microsoft-cuckoldry

bump

manjaro is pretty good

Thinking about changing back to gentoo or move on to manjaro from xubuntu.

OpenSuse got a pretty cool new download page.
software.opensuse.org/

It's one of the best distros for KDE. A very easy DE for Windows users.

Such a beautiful man.

Wouldn't Linux Mint be better for newbies, since it resembles Windows more?

bump

Linux Mint relies a weird and bloated upgrade system and I broke my install last time I tried to use it.
I use Debian Testing now, but I would recommend Ubuntu MATE for first-timers. I've never used it but Xubuntu was my introduction to Linux, it has always been very user-friendly and MATE is the best DE IMHO.

I hope you don't say "forgot to take off my shitposting flag", because that sure is one hell of a stinker.

I never heard of that distro before.
It looks nice, but I started using Linux during the GNOME 2 days and I'm satisfied with Debian Testing + MATE. I don't really care about the new shiny stuff.
Stop sperging so hard.

What is the appeal of MATE?

Honestly this whole thread reeks of scientism.
STEMlords will be put against the wall too.

OH SHIT GUYS. ART MAJORS GOING TO STAB US TO DEATH WITH A PAINTBRUSH. WHAT SHALL WE EVER DO!?!??!?!?!?!

nice shitposting, how does this relate to scientism at all

Gee, I wonder where the scientism might be…

Algorithms will help tremendously with central planning though. You don't have to be a "nerd" to understand this.

Algorithms cannot even demonstrate that central planning exists. Look at how many times your precious "science" has been wrong. You expect me to trust my children to it?

Scientism is when you declare that the scientific methods give answers to philosophical questions (e.g what you "should" be doing"). The people ITT have already decided on a goal based on ideology and are using STEM solutions to work towards those goals.

Those two positions are nowhere near the same.

They absolutely are the same people though.
It's like how you know that someone believes in scientism as soon as they start with their "akshually I'm an enlightened atheist" speel.
Almost everyone who uses shit like linux or GNU is a closet scientist.

Also, everything is a philosophical question. Science can't even prove that anything outside of my head exists, let alone show its own validity.

When scientists say shit like "homeopathy doesn't work", they are making claims about philosophical matters which they have no proof of.

How to communise software in particular and technological resources in general? Free Software is fine but it exists within the confines of bourgeoisie copyright law. We need something that goes beyond free software, a practical program of communisation, the abolition of copyright by any means neccesary, the expropriation of tech conglomerates

Absolutely, which is why scientism and naive positivism is for hacks. None of the people I've seen ITT have professed that their ideology is derived from scientific consensus which is what you actually see with scientism.

Having a coherent ideology/philosophy and then using STEM knowledge as a tool to achieve your goals to that end is not scientism. Being a scientist is not scientism

Have you fags done literally anything useful in your life? I would say you are CIA psyops designed to keep the left stuck up its own ass, but this particular strain is too irrelevant to count.

So could you kindly shitpost on Holla Forums instead of here? Bamboozling our enemies may be the greatest accomplishment of your life!

STEM knowledge presupposes scientism. You can't trust the knowledge if you don't adhere to scientism. Any intellectual philosophers who look at the bullshit peddled by STEMlords can immediately see that it's a huge stack of lies built upon other lies. There is no basis for any of it - only the blind assumption that the universe obeys laws which allow the scientific method to divine absolute truth. There are countless other interpretations of the universe under which science simply doesn't work. Just look at any of the ancient cultures around the world. They have their own belief systems which have been around for a lot longer than your precious "science". Hell, the world might not even have existed when science claims to have been invented. Everything could have literally started when I woke up today. Explain that, scientific assholes.

Let me repeat: by assuming that science works, you are believing in scientism.

Scientism is the upholding of the scientific method (if there even can be said to be a set scientific method) as the best (or sole) way of making and evaluating truth claims. Nobody here is making truth claims contingent on the scientific method. Everything else you're saying is drivel completely divorced from the reality of what scientism is or means.

Anyway you're probably trolling so enjoy your last (you)

Thank you for your contribution Holla Forums

Stallman began to hit me in the stomach with a bowling pin, hoping to dislodge the semen from my throat. He missed though and struck me in the back of the skull, dislodging my spinal cord and sending me into a coma. Stallman did the only honorable thing to do and stuffed me inside of a garbage bag and, thinking I was dead, throw me off of a bridge into the river.

Now THIS is idpol. Positing two contrived identities as politically opposed to each other when they don't have any distinguishing material differences from one another? Check, check, check.
If I started the Soviet Cybernetics thread now, I can only imagine how furious you Redditors with inferiority complexes would be. Proof that you're counterrevolutionary and not just unproductive, but actively anti-productive!
MODS!

Then Marx believed in scientism by that logic. Remember, he made fun of idealists for believing that you wouldn't drown in water if you didn't think that water could drown you. Proudhon and Marx and Kropotkin all called their ideas "scientific socialism" and attacked others for not being materialist enough. Why are you here if you're not a socialist? If you're a socialist and not a materialist, where is your refutation of their points? It's clear that you're a PoMo liberal, in which case I have just the place for you:
>>>/reddit/
Have fun arguing about who's more oppressed in the grand muh privilege olympics because material relations don't real, sucker!
Any time that your logic starts making claims verifiable as false, you have to get a hold of yourself, turn around, and figure out where you went wrong. Looking for where DeLeuze's critiques of pragmatism and Quine's works (he was the only of the PoMo philosophers to engage with those, IIRC) goes astray is probably a good starting point.

You haven't dealt with these people before, have you? I remember arguing against them in comment sections on liberal websites years ago before I found the actual Left because I just couldn't stand to see this kind of utter bullshit be said without challenge. Before you ask, yes, I'm slightly autistic.
They do not know how to shut up and unironically embody "feels >>> reals". It's pathetic, but the same ones stubbornly show up time after time even when their arguments have been refuted on both material and ideal grounds in the past. They're so deep in PoMo critique that they cannot handle the concept of critique. I'm not making this shit up.

cmon guys

Fuck off. It's telling that it's always the tankies and other COINTELPRO "anti-imperialists" who sperg hardest against STEM. Idpol begets idpol.