Who was the most left wing of the american "founding fathers" ?

who was the most left wing of the american "founding fathers" ?

Does thomas paine count?

If no, probably Jefferson

Thomas Paine was /ourguy/. He was one of the sharpest liberal revolutionaries to ever exist. He condemned slavery, disparaged organized religion, pioneered the concept of basic income and argued that private property of land was not natural.

Also he looked like a pretty chill guy tbh

The revolutionary spirit must be maintained

It's funny how often people forget that they were revolutionary in their time, that's why they came to establish what is now considered 'conservative'.

See pic related. Ofcourse their ideas aren't considered revolutionary anymore as the country has already been built on them. Is Robespierre a conservative now?

What retards like the author of this book mean is 'my politics are outdated by 200 years'. If you'd ask me, we have to reclaim the founding fathers.

Says a guy who never shed a drop of blood in battle. Jefferson was still a porky slave owner.

Jesus

Jefferson was all about the plantation owner class.

Paine was based but he was no leftist and neither were any of the Masonic landowning, merchant banker elite Founders

Agrarian Justice, Paine basically beat Georgism to Georgism.

as in collective ownership of the agricultural lands and self governance by councils of autonomous farmers who trade necessities and live off of their own self sustaining production? If its not vaguely something like that, then its probably not Leftism. Its just something you associate with Leftism like Nazbols or maybe Social Democracy. something like that, which people think is Left but is just something that people who wanted to Leftist ended up being when they realized Leftism wasn't for them. Kind of like a Satanist Leftist if you think about it

None of them tbh. Paine was the closest, and towards the end of his life, after being exiled from the US and living in France he was basically a Jacobin who was skeptical of private property and leaned towards collectivism and something like UBI. Aside from that, the idea that Jefferson was based is a Liberal meme.

Lincoln

I like this idea, but I'm also afraid of downplaying their relationship to slavery. We should absolutely point out that they were the revolutionaries of their time but I also think we need to move past political idols in general, that's how we get cults of personality like the American obsession with Washington and Jefferson.

Nobody claims Paine was a "leftist". As I stated earlier he was a liberal revolutionary and therefore a step in the right direction at the time.

No. The American Revolution was a historical necessity as a bourgeois revolution but there is hardly anything to "reclaim" in there.

Here's something I've always wanted a leftist angle on: Why did the American founding fathers end the revolution with democratic elections, followed by peaceful transition of power, instead of the usual perpetual dictatorships, petty purges, and coups every other violent revolution devolved into? Sure, some spats like the Whiskey Rebellion, party politics, and some bad blood between former friends happened, but everything mostly worked out the way it was supposed to for decades before the first (and only) meaningful civil war.

What did they do so right, that practically everyone else (particularly the closely associated French Revolution) has repeatedly done so wrong?

American founders did not face nearly as much opposition compared to the French revolutionaries.
It's not about the Americans doing anything right, the European powers just didn't care about them breaking off and establishing their own country. The French Revolution happened on European soil and was explicitly against the feudalist power structure, so other kings felt like they had to crush the revolution. George Washington never killed any kings.

The same people in charge of the colonies were the ones in charge of the states after the war, there was no change of hands, just a removal of one factor (loyalty to GB)

You can make any of them sound at least a bit leftist if you pick the right quotes

"The balance of power in a society, accompanies the balance of property in land. The only possible way, then, of preserving the balance of power on the side of equal liberty and public virtue, is to make the acquisition of land easy to every member of society; to make a division of land into small quantities, so that the multitude may he possessed of landed estates. If the multitude is possessed of the balance of real estate, the multitude will take care of the liberty, virtue, and interest of the multitude, in all acts of government."
John Adams, Letter to James Sullivan, 1776

Most of them were pretty left by the standards of their time, but they also largely believed blacks were not fully human and thus fit for slavery.

Most early abolitionist impulse among the Founders was less about humanitarianism but more about fear of insurrection.

They're all scum.

I'd argue right away that the American revolution was fundamentally "leftist" inasmuch as that term can be applied at the time. The first political "left" was anti-monarchy, and the American revolution was a huge thing that kind of set off this chain reaction of successful uprisings which eventually led into the communist revolutions of the 20th century.

A shame the whole citizen-soldier-farmer thing was doomed by industrialization

They didn't. To call the early American elections "democratic" is even less true than calling modern American elections "democratic." It was an early model for the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie.

The key was continuity. The Patriots, for lack of a better term, were the exact same people who were in charge of the states before the war. In spite of the thirteen colonies being subject to the British crown, most government officials were locals, and the British military was an uncommon sight until Massechusetts started getting unruly. Cutting out the Brits changed very little.

Another factor was George Washington himself. It would have been easy for him to put on a crown or call himself "Lord Protector" the way that Cromwell had, but he may have realized that a crown, especially during a time of transition, would make for a target that ambitious men like James Madison or Thomas Jefferson might be keen to try for. Maybe he just did not want to be king. He did have a life of leisure ahead of him, and he did claim to be weary after having fought in two huge wars.

Holy fuck that chart. Do I see fucking 6 axis of information?