Daily News Thread 5/19

FCC votes to overturn net neutrality rules

The US Federal Communications Commission has voted to overturn rules that force ISPs to treat all data traffic as equal.
bbc.com/news/technology-39973787

Swedish prosecutor drops case against Julian Assange

WikiLeaks co-founder Julian Assange says he will not "forgive or forget," despite a Swedish prosecutor dropping the case into rape accusations against him. His attorney hailed the move as a "victory," but said there is still a threat the US will apply to extradite him from the UK.
rt.com/news/388904-assange-rape-investigation-drop/

Ecuador asks UK PM Theresa May to give Assange safe passage

Ecuador’s government has asked Britain to give WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange safe passage to the South American country to allow him asylum there.
rt.com/uk/388921-julian-assange-wikileaks-extradite/

Syria’s White Helmets suspend members caught on camera during rebel execution

Syria’s White Helmets have suspended several members of their rescue team after stomach-churning footage emerged showing rebel militants conducting a summary execution of a man in the town of Jasim, with the White Helmets helping get rid of the body.
rt.com/news/388960-white-helmets-execution-footage/

Ex-Congressman Weiner to plead guilty after sexting probe

Former U.S. Congressman Anthony Weiner was expected to plead guilty in federal court in New York on Friday, months after U.S. prosecutors opened an investigation into his alleged "sexting" with a 15-year-old girl that eventually played a role in the U.S. presidential election.
reuters.com/article/us-people-weiner-idUSKCN18F1K1

Chinese jets intercept U.S. radiation-sniffing plane, U.S. says

Two Chinese SU-30 aircraft carried out what the U.S. military described as an "unprofessional" intercept of a U.S. aircraft designed to detect radiation while it was flying in international airspace over the East China Sea.
reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-intercept-idUSKCN18F040

Duterte says China's Xi threatened war if Philippines drills for oil

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Friday Chinese counterpart China Xi Jinping had warned him there would be war if Manila tried to enforce an arbitration ruling and drill for oil in a disputed part of the South China Sea.
reuters.com/article/us-southchinasea-philippines-china-idUSKCN18F1DJ

TPP trade deal members seek to move ahead without U.S.

Remaining members of the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade agreement are working on a statement to reaffirm their commitment to it, despite the withdrawal of the United States, sources close to the discussions said.
reuters.com/article/us-apec-vietnam-idUSKCN18F0MR?il=0

Iran election: Voters go to the polls to pick president

Iranians are voting an a presidential election, in which Hassan Rouhani is seeking a second term.
bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-39936577

Turkey targets opposition newspaper over suspected coup links

Turkish authorities have issued arrest warrants for the owner and three employees of an opposition newspaper, a police source and the paper said on Friday, part of a continuing media crackdown that has alarmed rights groups and Turkey's Western allies.
reuters.com/article/us-turkey-security-newspaper-idUSKCN18F182?il=0

Instagram, Snapchat worst for youngsters’ mental health & well-being – study

Young people experience increased rates of anxiety, depression, low self-esteem and poor sleep because of popular social media platforms, according to a new UK study. Instagram and Snapchat can be particularly damaging, the study says.
rt.com/news/388949-social-media-damage-youngsters/

Americans Are Paying $38 to Collect $1 of Student Debt

Student loan defaults are a bonanza for the debt collection industry.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-19/americans-are-paying-38-to-collect-1-of-student-debt

Other urls found in this thread:

nakedcapitalism.com/2017/05/notes-from-an-emergency.html
rt.com/op-edge/388973-julian-assange-us-uk/
boingboing.net/2017/05/18/erdogan-watched-guards-attack.html
nier.wikia.com/wiki/YoRHa_No.2_Type_B#Trivia
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OP/ED

Notes From an Emergency: Tech Feudalism

A wide-ranging, lively, sobering talk about tech feudalism and the implications for all of us.
nakedcapitalism.com/2017/05/notes-from-an-emergency.html

Assange case proves 'UK an American vassal state' that can't stop extraditions

There has possibly been some back room deal between the UK and the US for the extradition of Julian Assange. Otherwise, Sweden would not be encouraged to drop the case, said former MI5 officer Annie Machon.
rt.com/op-edge/388973-julian-assange-us-uk/

Video shows Turkey's Erdogan watched from limo as his guards bashed protesters in Washington, D.C.

New video hit the internet today showing the President of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, looking on as armed security guards from his entourage violently attacked protesters demonstrating outside the Turkish ambassador’s residence in Washington.
boingboing.net/2017/05/18/erdogan-watched-guards-attack.html

inb4 liberal feminist outrage machine
Maybe once he's free Assange will have time to read a book and understand politics.

i laffd

I want to fuck 2B so hard.

He understands politics, that's why he does what he does. He's always been anti-US and the actions he takes now are to secure its downfall.

Worth the risk

Why would the White Helmets suspend anyone from their organization for aiding the "moderate rebels" with executions? Obviously not the first time they helped clean up after the militants, just wondering why it would be unacceptable (perhaps another PR stunt?)

rednecks will chop their own cocks off if it gets them their wall

Yeah, Assange is a comrade.
Peoples say he's right wing because he's against the establishments but he always support the left.

he's a libertarian who puts way too much trust in aut-rightists.

What make you think that?

Conservatism is the new punk.

Well, he does act like an ancap and has said he thinks of himself as an """anarchist""".

Holla Forums will defend this right up intil it takes them an hour to merchantpost, then they'll claim it's dems/SJWs/us hacking us or some other utter and complete tinfoil bollocks
Quality, there goes the hentai probably. Also any sort of regulation on the production of the rice I eat every day.

t. langley

give me the rundown on the white helmets

they're like Al-Qaeda but with good publicity.

fug

I want to find a place where I can download that game. Got a link for a comrade?

Skidrow

Terrorist al-Nusra front funded by CIA and lauded by utterly misinformed Hollywood liberals.

I'm so glad for Assange, she's a real hero just like Manning.

So what do we do now that ISPs can throttle 8ch and lefty news sources?

Start killing people?

That's not a link though

First result on Google, I'm not going to spoofeed you.

Assange is a rare example of Carlton's favorite slur - ideologue. Although his belief in muh privacy and muh freedumb are circumstantially beneficial given his job, so whatever. He's unlikely to be a comrade ever in his opinions but he's useful in his actions.

Is it that untrue though? The ruling classes have realized that rebellion against the status quo is cool. So instead of making the apparent status quo the real structural power they have, they make it an invented Boogeyman with no power who threatens their real power. Then the impressionable youths will willingly fight their battles for them.

*Carlgon's favorite slur* fuck autocorrect (and booze)

Trusting Google to deliver good pirate links
What's wrong with you people?!

wow the day the Net Neutrality thing comes up there are a bunch of obvious b8 threads everywhere fancy that

Someone post the one where the guy is screaming BY THE WATCHERS WHAT THE FUCK

I knew that. I wanna know more.

There you go, comrade
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:f1bd99f861f75c1f981a371a0d4c2bed2971cb0f&dn=NieR%20-%20Automata%20%5bFitGirl%20Repack%5d

Look up Eva Bartlett.

thank you comrade.

that really was some Holla Forums-tier edgy shit

the sentiment is fine. i first saw it on twitter and i couldn't help but cringe at the wording. hard to take seriously after 15+ years on imageboards.

He understands Chekism, that's for sure.

– Assange

Actually designed to make Moscow the epicenter of global capitalism instead of Manhattan/D.C.

Lolbergs were against it from the start to be fair.

Also I don't see what trump has to do with it.

TFW Duterte might start WW3

Killing net neutrality was one of his campaign promises.

nier.wikia.com/wiki/YoRHa_No.2_Type_B#Trivia

That's only half of your mother's weight user and I handled her just fine

The point was that I'd still be willing to let that sit on my face

heheh

thank you for correcting the record