Tips on reading Capital

So I'm finally attempting to read Capital, and i'll be honest I'm a little daunted.

Anything I should keep in mind while reading, like general ideas or something of that ilk?

Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/readingcapital
kapitalism101.wordpress.com/law-of-value-the-series/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Piketty's cool, but I think Shaikh is a shade better.

This might help:
youtube.com/user/readingcapital
He helps break down the ideas in Capital as you read it.

Thanks, i'll check it out

Its a horrible slog no matter how you want to read it. Good luck

Don't bother with shitty guides/lectures, take notes instead and discuss it with friends us .

I recommend David Harvey

I planned on it, hopefully I'll get lucky and people will try and discuss it

kapitalism101.wordpress.com/law-of-value-the-series/

I'm in the same boat but i have 0 economical notions can i still read it ?

no

What should i read then ?

I'd start with Adam Smith. Even though he's cited by free market people a lot no one can deny that he's basically the father of economics. He's much less technical than Marx. Reading Wealth Of Nations will get you thinking in terms of macroeconomics.

Start with "wage labour and capital". It's pretty short. And no, you don't need to read "Wealth of Nations" to understand Capital.

David Harvey is shit anons. We should have a fuckin' sticky with this pdf

this is the best advice

Capital is long and requires multiple readthroughs to fully comprehend but it's doable! It's not really all that difficult once you understand the basics.

From what I've gathered, Harvey's error regarding Marx's value concept was only in the lecture, and not in the companion book. In the book he states that exchange-value is separate from price.

Start a reading capital thread. We can read like a chapter or 2 a week and discuss. God knows a lot of people here also need to read it myself included

I hope you've read Hegel, user. This quote is from Lenin.

Wage labor and capital has stuff that is abandoned and refuted in Capital. Not a good thing to read for theory.

dialectics

I read Wage Labour a few days, ago, I believe the text over at marxists.org is slightly revised to be in line with Marx's later works.

This is the one.

Yes

Chapter 1 is not that difficult to understand. Sure, you have to re-read every passage at least once, but I think that Lenin is over-selling how much Hegel helps.

Lenin's point is about how the whole methodology doesn't make sense without being aware of why he's exposing the material in that way.

Maybe if you are a brainlet like Lenin was