[Tech] Echo Look: Amazon botnet inside your own bedroom

Highlight: "Amazon store images and videos taken by Echo Look indefinitely, the company told us. Audio recorded by the original Echo has already been sought out in a murder case; to its credit, Amazon fought a search warrant in that case. (…) Motherboard also asked if Echo Look photos, videos, and the data gleaned from them would be sold to third parties; the company did not address that question."

Amazon Wants to Put a Camera and Microphone in Your Bedroom
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/amazon-echo-look-bedroom-camera

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20170411192101/https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/04/intimate_adult_toy_fails_penetration_test/
youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I wonder how many people will be dumb enough to pay for this shit.

Anyone who buys this deserves to be spied.

what is the purpose of having a camera like this?

the echo was enticing but obviously sketchy as fuck.
this…this is just ballsy. echo data harvesting was so successful that they figured people would botnet themselves and not care.

Funny how wild people went over the Kinect doing this a couple years ago and now it's """""normal"""""

I remember this shitstorm. How quaint.

People do buy wifi-connected dildos with cameras that can be very easily hacked into.
web.archive.org/web/20170411192101/https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/04/intimate_adult_toy_fails_penetration_test/

Smells like pork spirit.

The left needs to stop coddling the stupid.

Right.

Put it in the fucking trash or order them to take it back.

What about echo was inciting in any way? It didn't do anything your spyphone couldn't already do but your phone can do a lot of stuff it can't.

I said the buyer deserves to be spied, not whoever wanders in their bedroom.

And I don't see how they don't deserve it. They're literally buying a spycam because they are too lazy to LOOK AT THEIR REFLECTION IN THE MIRROR.

Most people are stupid. Not a good strategy to ignore them, it's better to scare them shitless of such tech.

I don't know, I just kind of enjoyed the idea of a virtual PA and being able to control my (nonexistent) home via voice. That's if you ignore the fact it's connected to the internet 24/7 and listening constantly.

fair.

wtf I love the internet of things now

inb4 anonymous fucks my nonexistent girlfriend better than I do

This is the future liberals want.

The fact that some people do not see the GIGANTIC red flag that is to keep a mic and a camera always on and connected to the internet on your room baffles me.

Metadata is not enough anymore…

This is not classical totalitarianism from Orwell's cheesy fiction where power violently penetrates the privacy of individuals against their wishes. This is consumer tech that makes your banal life more convenient and comfy. Which of course is even worse.

Some people are already at the stage that they say "Yeah, I know they will spy on me and sell my data, so what? I have nothing to hide, and they will make good products for me!"
The point that cosumerism and false individualism destroys real individualism.

Ironically, this is the end result of the effect that people like Alex Jones have had on popular culture.

People have become inoculated to the idea of state tyranny and see it as inherently paranoid.

Honestly, I'd be much less concerned about the NSA being able to see inside my genitals than I would about them being able to see my internet history.

Reddit:
"Amazon is continuing to make me less and less relevant to my wife. My top 2 uses have already been replaced by our Echo, and now they are gunning for number 4 with this.

Uses:

1) Where are my keys? Resolved with Echo and Trakr skill

2) Is it going to be cold today? Resolved with Echo

3) Can you "fix" the toilet? Still mine.

4) Does this look good? Will now be handled by this."

Nice! A blackmail device! Now I can buy compromising information from anyone I dislike.

But they are right, the kind of people that buy these things really have nothing to hide, they are very well normalized and integrated, and they want to be looked at, they want to share their life with the world. The problem is not the spying but that these people don't want to resist the system anyway.

The point is people want to buy this shit. And I'd be more worried about tech corps like Google managing every aspect of our lives than NSA merely knowing how banal most of our lives are. youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs
I recommend using Tor Browser but that's only an individualized mitigation-tier solution.

I'd like to reiterate: this is for people who are too lazy to look at the mirror and maybe for people who don't want to type words when they need a google search.

You dont need to be revolutionary to care about privacy

it's all going as planned then…

I can't post images over TOR, thanks to the retarded idiots who run this place. Anyway, if I ever get arrested I can just commit suicide and cull those universes from being experienced.

Honestly I don't give a shit about privacy as long as the people invading it are unable or unwilling to harm me. If Google want to take over my life, they're welcome to it. I'll even give them my trash for free too.

I can't post images over TOR, thanks to the retarded idiots who run this place. Anyway, if I ever get arrested I can just commit suicide and cull those universes from being experienced.

Honestly I don't give a shit about privacy as long as the people invading it are unable or unwilling to harm me. If Google want to take over my life, they're welcome to it. I'll even give them my trash for free too.