What's your opinion on the Russian nihilist movement?

What's your opinion on the Russian nihilist movement?

Other urls found in this thread:

marxists.org/subject/anarchism/nechayev/catechism.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nechayev was 100% right and did literally nothing wrong

FLAG

underrated and we need to bring it back

marxists.org/subject/anarchism/nechayev/catechism.htm

Read dis

Loved their first album, hope to see them on tour

this dude was part of the nihilist movement

How is nihilism even a political movement?

It opposes the morality imposed by society. Read up on it, these guys got the Tsar at the time killed

The nihilist movement wasn't actually that nihilist.

It would have suited the United States a lot better, and gained more traction

edgy lifestylists
but still bretty cool

it's not lifestylism tho. they were extremely dedicated to their cause. read

It actually did.
By killing Alexander II, he couldn't implement his version of Bismarckian reforms, which would've put a dent in the Russian revolutionary movement, like it did in Germany.
His successor was a reactionary aut who reintroduced serfdom, so of course accelerationism was in full force here.

It was like killing Obama and getting Cruz as replacement.

Hippies can be very dedicated to their cause. It's still lifestylism. I'm not sure that politically-active nihilists fall under the category the same way a philosophical one (aka that edgy kid in highschool who thought he knew tons of deep and meaningful philosophy) because they do have the goal of wider societal change.

You guys seem more like egoists (therefore similar to existentialists?) than pure "fuck the whole wide world" nihilists.

I never understood how you could seriously believe in nihilism and not commit suicide immediately. The way I've always seen it, people create the meaning in their lives through interactions with other people. It's all contrived and it's spooky to pretend it isn't, but it can be meaningless nevertheless. As far as the experienced effects of the world go, the material pleasures and pains, it's real and measurable in terms of effect. Just looking around myself, I see a huge gap between what nihilists posit and reality, instead seeing pragmatism verified.

For argument's sake, let's say I'm a true nihilist. I don't believe in anything, world a shit. Why should I do all the hard work of overthrowing a state when everything means nothing? I don't know if the world around me is real in any appreciable sense of the word - I do know that I feel pain and pleasure, though, and that I want one more than the other. It's all lacking in context, but that doesn't matter if there is no central context. Why should I go with pain and suffering in sacrificing myself wholeheartedly and singlemindedly to this cause? I don't see how it squares with nihilism, unless it's as I suspect and Russian nihilists are very different from the typical Western conception of one.

From reading

They definitely weren't existentialists. They weren't passionate except for revolution, they didn't care for themselves or others as people except for their role as people, they didn't care about the outcomes, just a revolution. It's weird

Nihilism is a spook.

LARPers before LARPing. If he wasn't trying to seem scary to naive authority figures he was a complete fag.

get out

Apparently this guy was also an anarchst friend of Bakunin's. He's also the guy that Marx called a proponent of barracks communism for writing this:
"The ending of the existing social order and the renewal of life with the aid of the new principles can be accomplished only by concentrating all the means of social existence in the hands of our committee, and the proclamation of compulsory physical labour for everyone.

The committee, as soon as the present institutions have been overthrown, proclaims that everything is common property, orders the setting up of workers' societies (artels) and at the same time publishes statistical tables compiled by experts and pointing out what branches of labour are most needed in a certain locality and what branches may run into difficulties there.

For a certain number of days assigned for the revolutionary upheaval and the disorders that are bound to follow, each person must join one or another of these artels according to his own choice… All those who remain isolated and unattached to workers' groups without sufficient reason will have no right of access either to the communal eating places or to the communal dormitories, or to any other buildings assigned to meet the various needs of the brother-workers or that contain the goods and materials, the victuals or tools reserved for all members of the established workers' society; in a word, he who without sufficient reason has not joined an artel, will be left without means of subsistence. All the roads, all the means of communication will be closed to him; he will have no other alternative but work or death."

Definitely sounds a bit centralized for a so-called anarchist,

In terms of nihilism, he seems to be a bit of a radical version of Schopenhauer's passive nihilism. He believes in extreme asceticism for the sake of the revolution.

I definitely don't agree with him but I think he has interesting things to say

Oh, and he was kicked out of the Internationale

He also inspired Dostoevsky's the Devils. Damn this guy has a pretty big repertoire actually.

Tell me how to get into nihilism.

Read Schopenhauer

But I think existentialism is a far better philosophy

It's rare to see such an abysmal post.