[Tech] Uber tracked your phone even app was deleted

Uber’s C.E.O. Plays With Fire
nytimes.com/2017/04/23/technology/travis-kalanick-pushes-uber-and-himself-to-the-precipice.html

For months, Mr. Kalanick had pulled a fast one on Apple by directing his employees to help camouflage the ride-hailing app from Apple’s engineers. The reason? So Apple would not find out that Uber had been secretly identifying and tagging iPhones even after its app had been deleted and the devices erased — a fraud detection maneuver that violated Apple’s privacy guidelines.

But Apple was on to the deception, and when Mr. Kalanick arrived at the midafternoon meeting sporting his favorite pair of bright red sneakers and hot-pink socks, Mr. Cook was prepared. “So, I’ve heard you’ve been breaking some of our rules,” Mr. Cook said in his calm, Southern tone. Stop the trickery, Mr. Cook then demanded, or Uber’s app would be kicked out of Apple’s App Store.

(…)

To halt the activity, Uber engineers assigned a persistent identity to iPhones with a small piece of code, a practice called “fingerprinting.” Uber could then identify an iPhone and prevent itself from being fooled even after the device was erased of its contents.

There was one problem: Fingerprinting iPhones broke Apple’s rules. Mr. Cook believed that wiping an iPhone should ensure that no trace of the owner’s identity remained on the device. So Mr. Kalanick told his engineers to “geofence” Apple’s headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., a way to digitally identify people reviewing Uber’s software in a specific location. Uber would then obfuscate its code for people within that geofenced area, essentially drawing a digital lasso around those it wanted to keep in the dark. Apple employees at its headquarters were unable to see Uber’s fingerprinting.

(Also, Uber bought data on Lyft users' ride receipts to conduct competitive intelligence on its rival.)

Uber devoted teams to so-called competitive intelligence, purchasing data from an analytics service called Slice Intelligence. Using an email digest service it owns named Unroll.me, Slice collected its customers’ emailed Lyft receipts from their inboxes and sold the anonymized data to Uber. Uber used the data as a proxy for the health of Lyft’s business. (Lyft, too, operates a competitive intelligence team.)

Slice confirmed that it sells anonymized data (meaning that customers’ names are not attached) based on ride receipts from Uber and Lyft, but declined to disclose who buys the information.

Other urls found in this thread:

nakedcapitalism.com/2016/11/can-uber-ever-deliver-part-one-understanding-ubers-bleak-operating-economics.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The shitty part is that Apple gave them a second chance after pulling all that underhanded shit when other apps get permanently banned for much less.

Cook didn't blow the whistle and let Uber stay shady

Just what is the damn point of even tracking people who uninstalled? Uber is already losing money, so this "genius" decides to enter the personal data market? Illegally? As if Uber needs more PR disasters.

This Orwellian bullshit could be seen as the deep state extending its control on the population through these companies. Free markets, in Uber's case, is nothing more than a code word for the worst kind of despotism imaginable.

The "deep state" is heavily involved in the American tech industry. In fact it is probably the only reason it exists in its current form. Were they not so politically useful most of those companies would have been hit with massive antitrust suits long ago.

A while back I posted a few articles explaining why Uber cannot be profitable. Uber apparently is losing billions each quarter due to a fundamentally dysfunctional business model. Which leads us to ask "Who the fuck is subsidizing these tools?" Is Uber playing the same game as the juicer maker, ie stuffing your life with useless shit that spies on you, or are Silicon valley VCs that dumb?

Obviously, we lean towards the former, which would seem to indicate that the government itself might be funneling money into these businesses. Think about it

Hmm, so lets say the gov starts buying Slice's data, and takes a little slice of that Pentagon black budget to pay for it. The money is then funneled by Slice to various tech companies like Uber in exchange for both the data and freedom from law enforcement. Because of this, not only can the gov spread its eyes and ears without growing too large, but it also benefits from entire generations of mindless software engineers who whoreheartedly believe in the free market nonsense. A new meaning for the private public partnerships.

As expected of technology.
We can choose between slavery and freedom, but I guess all you kids will happily vote for slavery if it lets you keep your flashy gizmos and polluting engines.

Cyberpunk is coming boys, each new wave of silicon valley startups is more obsessed with data collection than the last and they'll happily hack each other to do it.

Technology isn't evil idiot, it's capitalism we need to destroy. If you want mankind to starve in the woods why don't you go first?

Jokes on them, I don't have a phone!

because the drivers were using iphones to send fake uber requests, it says in the article.

Kindly expand on that, user.

Also
Very appropriate typo, lol.

Yes, and the solution to this was to spy on their previous employees? You know, the reason we allow these business owners to have the power they do is because they provide reasonable solutions, not because we are all on board with totalitarian corporate fascism.

nakedcapitalism.com/2016/11/can-uber-ever-deliver-part-one-understanding-ubers-bleak-operating-economics.html

Just part one of a 7 part series.

:D

I remember posting a while ago a short article about how Uber was purposely made to ruin the cab industry but now I don't remember the details. Damn ADHD.

chill user, he asked a question and i replied.

Thanks for providing the link btw.

That's literally malware.

I wish Holla Forums would stop having better Holla Forums threads than Holla Forums.

I find it difficult to believe that Uber is unprofitable when they're so much more exploitative than traditional taxi companies.

he looks like a more punchable French Stewart
I hope he shares the Crapple IPs

This, half of the posts on any given thread there are about how [insert bad thing] is because of jews and refugees or some shit. /leftytech/ when?

I don't want a /leftytech/, I want a better Holla Forums.

Basically lainchan is the closest to that.

Lainchan is:
- Filled with Holla Forumstards.
- Near dead.