Within a decade...

It makes me fucking sick, guys. I hate what chan culture has become, honestly. Obviously, there are very few places outside of Holla Forums to discuss this meaningfully, so I want to talk about it here. Do you think that the current state of things can be reversed, or does this simply reflect the state of the internet itself? Because I feel that as a whole, the entire internet has become pretty vindictive and serious, nothing like ever before.

Other urls found in this thread:

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/pony-nationalism-and-the-furred-reich-inside-the-alt-furrys-online-zoo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It only gets worse.

Honestly that's more the result of Stormfront using Holla Forums as their internet armed wing, and of the degenerates in halfchan Holla Forums doxxing people out of sadistic desire. I haven't seen that behavior in any other board

Nobody really believed in the not your personal army shit. they still raided and fucked with people on a constant basis. that just something they used to say when they made their brains work and noticed they were being used, which is like 30% of the time.

But yes, back then doxxing and other stuff wasn't popular. That's because back then it was actually thought as stupid to willfully have your personal info on the net. Now literally everyone has their name, cellphone and address conveniently posted on a single page: of course people are gonna find it.

I remember a time when fucking webpages told you NOT to use your real name. Youtube had a giant warning on the register page telling you not to do it. Now they do the exact opposite, they try to force you to do it. And there's way more people on the internet, so of course they're gonna find your shit and use it because they're shitheads. It was just harder back then.

also inb4 someone spergs because i used the incorrect amount of x's in "doxxed".

I've been posting on 4chan since it was only an anime board, and for the past 5~ years have felt pretty alienated. Holla Forums spreads it's IdPol garbage all over every board. You can't even talk about anything without it being a Jewish conspiracy. Nothing is done to control them, they've completely taken over 4chan.

It's just not the same community it was, I still visit but it's more out of habit than actual enjoyment.

This. People always harassed anyone the circlejerk didn't approve of and said NYPA when it was someone they liked. Even at the beginning, there were political actors directing internet communities to punish those who deviate from the status quo.

I agree but I am more concern with the Internet becoming a bunch of walled gardens. The Internet is slowly transforming to what AOL, Prodigy and CompuServe were, as context is manicured for mass consumption.

i only went there for /o/ to shitpost about cars since about 2008
it's basically a fascist website now, that's applies to almost every board.
it's incredible that fascism is so strong on the internet in general

I wouldn't even mind them being the majority if they were actually open to discussion. They aren't though, any actual attempt to engage will just be met with memes. They can't argue because they don't even have a real position.

The bourgeoisie is reverting to fascism because liberalism has failed. They have the money to hire enough shills and deploy enough bots to create a false consensus in favor of fascism. They're not nearly as strong as they try to make you think.

I agree OP, now who do you want us to attack so we can make things right?

But in all seriousness, I think it's a symptom of another condition, people are looking more for a purpose, to feel useful, and a monster to fight.

Fasicsm really isn't all that strong. The snakes are loud, but the majority doesn't buy into it.

Then give them a purpose.
Make them feel useful.
And give them a monster to fight.

Same. I watched other boards go to shit, but /a/ was okay for a while. Came to Holla Forums so I would see less Holla Forums posting only for them to takeover not much later. Now the only board I can tolerate is Holla Forums, but it fucking sucks too. I wish I could go back to /a/, but it's just awful. Even without Holla Forums the quality of discourse has dropped too far.

doxing

I take it someone doesn't remember Project Chanology. Face it, chan culture has always been about activism

Project Chanology was dumb as hell and everybody hated it. Also "activism" is not a real thing.

Pretty sure that's always been the modus operandi of bored assholes on the internet.

Yeah I feel you OP. Sad thing is there's basically nowhere I can complain about this on a chan because it'd instantly get jumped on and called a moralfag by newfags.

I know this has nothing to do with leftism, but damn do I hate our eternal september

Project Chanology is precisely where it started.

I try sincere and fun posting on 4chan from time to time, most of the time it falls flat on its face. I think it depends on the time you post.

Holla Forums seems to think that the stormfront invasion is over but that they are still battling sjws. I don't think that's right.

I feel the same and I'd bet you there's a lot more people who feel similarly.

I think it's probably a reaction to political bullshit and NORPs shitting up the internet.
It's either take everything way too fucking seriously to keep those groups out, or let the fucking vermin in.
It's tiring, especially when the reason you came to places like this was because you just wanted to kick back and enjoy yourself.
And not politcal bullshit as in "discussing politics", but in a "everything is always politics and there's no escaping from it" that SJWs and fascists always fucking bring into everything.

I fantasize about building an image board that had strong moderation or strong culture to keep toxicity out.

I think leftypol has a chance at this, but we don't have enough users to divide the base. This is the only board I can post on where the people are generally chill. Possibly the last fun board.

>used to post on /kind/ because it seemed like one of these places then got banned for calling a Holla Forumsack unkind

I honestly posted on /mlp/ when chans started to die for the sole purpose of it being one of the few fun boards left, I didn't even like any of the content. The only fun board on halfchan I can even find is /m/ now

The newfaggotry and cancerfaggotry has been spiraling out of control since Chanology. Imageboards have turned from a unique place with a largely "I don't give a damn" attitude to a place of extreme butthurt with a massive overlap of other mainstream sites (not that such hasn't been happening since 2006).

4chan becoming commercialized is only going to make things worse tbh.

Two things. One, chan-culture is a function of the forces working within it, namely what the mods tolerate, and the general velocity and popularity. As something becomes more popular, it'll trend in a certain direction qua content (that is, away from long-form screeds and dialogue, and towards gets, generals, and memes). What it takes to convince someone all the Holla Forumsyp garbage is just that, a one-on-one convo, is simply no longer possible in that setting without getting inundated with memes before the bump limit is reached.

Holla Forums is saved from this in part because it is still small-ish, thanks to the judicious work of the moderators, but also because of the users who foster a fairly high level of discourse, allowed to them because of the above reasons.

Two, the internet itself is undergoing a rapid and vast transformation. More people enter it, and the ways which we use it are changing also. Unfortunately, this change is entirely directed from above by capitalist entities, as explained by ; the big internet companies want you to only use their products, and lock you in by linking services and accounts. You are always being asked to automatically log in, remember passwords, link an account on one site to one on another. This way your only internet experience will be one mediated by the big companies, which they demand you put full of personal data they can mine and sell.

So more normies and a move in the direction of a unified internet identity means a lot of people enter the internet as themselves, making them easier prey, but also more eager to defend themselves or isolate themselves in insular communities, safe-spaces.

Leftists can't meme, they have little symbolic imagination.

Meme-ing is shit. Go post some more dumb frogs to get doubles on your home board, and fill entire threads with attempts to do so.

This. I basically left /sp/ after the Euro 2016. Every second thread was about muh black players in european teams

Leftist cant into childish humor.

Ah yes, the glorious, imaginative and symbolic memes of Holla Forums.

Bait-taking sage

Thank you for pointing out /kind/ for me, I've never seen this board. It's lame though that they banned you. It seems obvious and agreeable that Holla Forums is very unkind.

Maybe in the future sincere posting will take hold :)

if you keep repeating bullshit as if it were fact for long enough people end up believing it.
the right wing have done just that.

I wish I could back in time to when I was in high school harassing Tom Green and annoying Game Stop with requests for Battletoads. Things were simpler and the Internet was still fun.

It's almost like the period after 2008-2010's economic collapse created a turbulence in the socio-political sphere, and polarized the population and accentuated class struggle. Weird.

Newfag revisionist. Go suck Benji and Weev's cock a bit more.

This updates my journal.
I never stopped to think about the political repercussions of 2008's crisis.

I wasn't implying otherwise, but ok?

It's been happening at least since the late 70s, 2008 is just the iceberg tip. Even knowing about all the shit, the fact that liberal consensus is still skyrocketing despite all the horrible crises (one of which almost worse than '29) still boggles my mind.

Nigga how.

I-i don't know. Maybe i'm retarded.

Anyone who calls it "chan culture" instead of "imageboard culture" needs to go back to reddit.

People from inside the culture have been referring to as chan culture for years, get a grip.

Fool, it's not an imageboard, it's a knitting forum.

2011-2012 was the funnest time in 4chan. Prove me wrong.

Newfriends are so cute.

Is this the new "reddit spacing" meme?

Funny how that meme was getting pushed hard on Holla Forums and Holla Forums at the same time, almost as if a third party was astroturfing

I really can't.

Imagine taking screenshots of modern day Holla Forums catalog, and taking it back in time, and sharing it with olden Holla Forums, and warning them what would become of their home. It's kind of fucking sad actually.

This is exactly what evolves out anarchism, literal lynch mobs.

If time travel were real that's exactly what I would do. Fuck saving the world. I just want to save 4chan.

No, its what evolves out of being an edgy teenager who's too stupid to realize that they're being played like a damn fiddle

chanology and occupy wallstreet killed us

Chanology was a mistake.

You're a newfag if you don't remember even the Habbo raids being banned by moot and the mods. Also how everyone on 4chan hates (hated?) Holla Forums.

Gen X, first wave of gen Y and second wave of gen Y, we will see how gen Z behaves.

4chan died in 2008 tho.

truth. 4chan stopped being fun between 2008-2010. last time i seriously posted on Holla Forums it was just steam begging, ponies and spiderman memes.

"Imageboard culture" is used to enforce the status quo of drowning in shitposting by newbie retards who think all of 4chan (and any IB, really) must be like Holla Forums. Oh right, I should say "like Holla Forums" now.

I'd say you must kill memes and imageboard culture for good and fun discourse to come back but it's impossible now, these are only symptoms of the Internet becoming so easy to access to pretty much everyone is online today. There is just no going back.

I miss when boards had their own culture. (Yeah I know hurr nationalism) but in this case all of them had their own memes, political inclination, etc. It was almost like an unique experience then Holla Forums hijacked the whole thing and everyone post pepes and racist shit 24/7.

IMO, 2008-2010 was when the cancer started to become terminal, but 4chan was at least still a unique website with a unique community at the time. cut4bieber and the tumblr raids that came shortly after seemed to attract wave after wave of newfags who absolutely slaughtered the communities of the site. Hotwheels exodus also seemed to change the site for the worst.

Nowadays, I see Reddit and Facebook memes spammed everywhere, and most of the boards are indistinguishable from other websites. Holla Forums is basically just normalfag central, for example.

Do we hate reddit as well? I wish any chan had the quality of r/geopolitics

4chan was a mistake, lowtax shouldn't have banned moot

guess I'll have to join in the Oldfags United Front because im an oldfag too.

jesus, you should see the synchtube i visit. it's literally called "the horse reich" and has faggots shitposting far-right propaganda videos some loser made in his basement

obligatory

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/pony-nationalism-and-the-furred-reich-inside-the-alt-furrys-online-zoo

cruise control for cooooooool and also not very insightful political commentary

We need to see these.

he's right tho

fuck off back to reddit

4chan used to literally have an invasion board were they would plan out how they were going to destroy other websites then blame it on ebaumsworld, the reddit of its day

The invasion board was never used to "plan out to destroy websites". It was a containment bunker for personal army fags, and it was removed as quick as it came. There's a reason why any meaningful raid is not associated with /i/

fuck off
imageboards always were shit, are shit, and will be shit
psychology of an average Holla Forumstard was a psychology of a retarded hyena, and still is

I just want my leftist safespace with lax rules to shitpost about Soviet Union and whatnot
quit shoving your identity shit into my face, you fucks