Why are so many leftists into continental gibberish?

Why are so many leftists into continental gibberish?

Seriously, there are people and working-class people who need to be able to understand your ideas and concepts clearly, but this European intellectual woo has obstructed the potential.

Its self-congraulatory ¨intellectual¨ masturbation.

mrbauld.com/chomsky1.html

cl.cam.ac.uk/~dq209/others/postmodernism.pdf

bump

Then they should read Philosophy for Non-Philosophers.

I know that.
In any case, post-modernism still goes under the continental tradition

Because they picked up leftism in philosophy class at the university.

Zizek is a conty and yet he manages to express some of his ideas in a very digestible way
maybe because they don't seem to profound, but still

Go away stefan molyneux.

if you can't explain something to a kid, chances are you don't understand it either.

Is explaining how ideologyinfluences us through kung fu panda and European toilets is good enough?

he also engages in pop-philosophy

very funny, pol

ironically, zizek is the one who dumbs down philosophy

what zizek does is say dumb shit and then retreat to pedantry about lacanian gibberish when confronted with it

read his exchanges with sam kriss

because philosophers don't write for proles but for other philosophers you dumbfuck

yes, it's pretty simple to explain how ideology influences us, just talk to them about their parents and friends influences, how fucking hard is it you clown?

get back in the locker, dweeb.

so there's nobody who understands advanced mathematics?

As expected from the mongoloids who browse imageboards.

back to the youtube comments with you

'no' you fucking retard, if you can't express an idea in a simple conceptual manner through analogy or not, you don't understand the idea fully. You don't have to sit there and explain it in its full detail in an abstract manner.
>>>/reddit/

Prove it.

Then they should read the literal fuckton of material available on these issues that was written to be understandable to first graders.

Would you complain to a physics professor that his physics manual is filled to the brim with physics jargon?

Read a goddamn book.

can you prove that obfuscating your ideas beyond normal language makes you understand them? Let's honestly see how well you would fucking pass your oral exam for your thesis if you can't explain what the fuck you're talking about lmao.

pic related seemed to have no difficulty explaining physics to brainlets.

What are you saying?

The reason that many leftists are continentals is that post modernist philosophy rejects large meta-narratives that explain the world, scientism, christianity and other ideology.

As leftists are anti-authoritarian by nature we strive towards explanations of the world that emminate from the people themselves, instead of from some rigid philosophical or religious theory.

The experiences of authoritarianism in ww2 led to intellectuals realizing the dangers when the humanity of the individual is forgotten, which leads to a more "continental" philosophy. Phenomenology, existentialism, report journalism and psycho-analysis become hot shit on the continent.

All this continental stuff is a great gift to humanity as a whole. It has helped us understand humanity and culture in so many different ways. Perhaps it is this humanistic focus that draws in leftists. What do you think is so wrong with it?

It's you who made the claim, so it is you who have to provide the evidence.

Perhaps both of you are equally retarded and off topic by now

Hahaha, fuck. This is what happens when anarkiddies go to university.

hahaha, did I say something dumb?

please respond, I'm desperate for validation

Bumpety bump, its an interesting topic

I'm of pretty average intelligence, but I have to say I find continental philosophy more engaging and understandable than analytic/anglo. I think the two styles of philosophy attract different types of people rather than economic classes or I.Q. If anything, you're the one implying that the working class is too stupid to understand continental philosophy.

Postmodernism is idealist liberal humanism repackaged in a million layers of obfuscation. If the academic left is ever going to actually do anything besides spook up their students from their armchairs we need a return to Marx.

Continental philosophers are actually concerned about how they write. Analytic stuff is always an unreadable borefest.

All I'm hearing is Continental = pomo = gay. Can we please go more in depth?

Funny you should say that since that's exactly what a post-structuralist philosopher claimed.

So to summarize, a lot of continental philosophy = good

post modern philosophy = bad

Who?

No, that's all you need to know.

I'm afraid you'll have to read a book, or some wiki articles

Continental philosophy is actually good, but dont trust my word

after all ===EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE===

Althusser.

I wouldn't even rule out 100% of it. There's certainly good stuff, it's just that academia made it into some sort of real life ironic shitposting.

Dude. No.

you certainly think quite highly of yourself

I'm not opposed to cont phil, tho

Who cares about cont phil lel

Only a small number of academic leftists who mostly write for one another care about this shit. It is of no concern whatsoever to the average person. They aren't supposed to understand it, being Difficult is a goal of philosophy.

The intellectuals from the continental tradition still indirectly influence society to a very high degree. And its not all Hegel, no philosophy has to be complicated, it just appears so when you dont know the industry lingo

As a relatively dumb / uneducated person I managed to struggle my way through Marx just fine. On the other hand, I found assholes like Deleuze and Guattari, Derrida, Fanon, and the postmodernists so intentionally obscure that I'm skeptical of anyone who claims to understand them.

Meant for

No they don't, at least, no one from relatively recent times, despite paranoia from the right. Only a tiny fraction of people even understand what they are saying, and they have no interest in distilling it to the general population, indicating that they could really care less if people understand them. Distilling their work for the general population would rob it of its mystique of Difficulty. Meanwhile even theoretical physicists or pure mathematicians will happy try their best to give you a "for retards" version of their work.

the kind of guy who shits on your argument because you used a word with a silly etymology

I'm confused, is your point that EVERYTHING leftists write or think about has to be fully accessible to the entire working class without proper background? There is a place both for people to expand and critique our knowledge of the political economy on a particular level, as well as for people to distill the ideas contained in thousands of pages of text to the masses as a whole.

Well this requirement, changes things a bit. Otherwise you could of course mention Hegel and Marx. People who at least are impact enough for us to be talking about them on this board

Almost every French teenager reads a bit of Camus.

I'm sure there are a myriads of other, more modern examples. However I still don't get the core of your argument. What is it about continental philosophy that you think is bad for leftism. There is complicated analytic philosophy too you know

I'm thinking more of the philosophers that are frequently demonized like the French poststructuralists.

I don't think it's bad for leftism, I think it's utterly irrelevant, and most of them aren't even leftists anyway so who cares? I don't think what OP identifies as "continental gibberish" accomplishes anything of value for us.

Maybe not for us, as in us leftists, but smart people wouldnt be pursuing those things if they didnt find them intellectually valuable. Its quite hard to assess the value of something without being embroiled in it

I should read more books