How do I get into economics and philosophy? I've been trying to read them but I barely understand any of it

How do I get into economics and philosophy? I've been trying to read them but I barely understand any of it.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/edit?pli=1#
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are you just going straight in head first?

Try reading an overview of what you're trying to get into, or watch some videos on youtube. Having a general idea for what's being said in the books helps a lot to understand when it gets into detail.

you dont, you just shitpost on facebook and imageboards about shit you know nothing about

but its okay because the amount of people who can actually ever call you out is minuscule compared to the number of people who will think youre actually intelligent

Watch all the videos of lectures of Rick Rodderick on youtube (two playlists of a half dozen lectures), he's great and engaging and quite drunk.

you must seek the blessing of the philosophy god

I don't care about that. I care about learning

Basically this and starting with the Greeks docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/edit?pli=1#

How much time and interest do you have? Starting with a general overlook of philosophy – I recommend A new history of Western philosophy by Anthony Kenny – and then working yourself up from the Greeks (doesn't have to be in-depth, most of it is unnecessary) is the best thing you can do.

This is a shit guide by the way. The creator is pretty pretentious and lists a lot of authors that are unnecessary to read for a general understanding of philosophy. There's really no reason at all to spend so much time on Medieval Philosophy for example, unless you want to specifically study it out of historical interest, in which case the guide of course actually doesn't list enough literature at all.

As far as economics goes, what you need to remember is that it's political philosophy first and foremost and secondly, that most economics is state philosophy designed to support and justify economic actions of that time and place in which it was written

I'm not talking about those kinds of economics. What I mean is that I barely understand Das Kapital and the Accumulation of Capital and shit like that

Read this first, it will explain everything.

What does it talk about and how long does it take

It's about studying on your own, equality and things like that. Easy to read, less than 200 pages, it shouldn't take longer than a week to read.

How long a day should I read?

So I looked for information about it online, and it seems interesting, but I don't see how it could apply to my problem with economics and philosophy, other than self-teaching

25-50 pages or more, depending on your mood.

Keep reading posts here until you know the relevant buzzwords for each tendency. Use your newfound knowledge to write smug, condescending posts under various flags so as to bait people into stupid arguments about nothing. Works particularly well with the LeftCom and tankie flags.

That feel when I have little difficulty understanding dense or abstract text and I think OP is just a brainlet.

It's mainly that I'm probably starting in bad places and have little philosophical and economic knowledge to begin with.

How old are you by chance? A lot of it has to do with the bulk range of concepts you're familiar with, and I think teens and real young adults can't really approach philosophy with much more than a superficial interest or comprehension. Our education system is structured entirely around rote learning and reasoning by correlation, while philosophy and literature take a more deductive or composition-orientated perspective. It takes a lot of work to break free from that toxic mode of thinking you're used to approaching "schoolwork" with.

What really helped me is a sense of personal emotional investment. I got really engrossed in Allan Bloom's translation of Plato's Republic, among other things. Try looking into something like theology, or existentialism, maybe some speculative areas in science, or whatever else might particularly resonate with you and that can serve as an inspiring starting point to get into reading

I'm currently 18. Existentialism/Nihilism/Absurdism and shit is something I'm interested in but I don't really know how to get into it. I read the Myth of Sisyphus and understood some of it but I also didn't understand a lot of it

read Stirner and Adam Smith and don't read anything written by Marxists
start pondering first principles, establish your axioms of logic, learn deductive logic, learn the basics of symbolic logic, learn abductive and inductive logic, learn rhetoric and grammar so you can distinguish arguments from statements and nonsense from sense. read Hume, Hegel, Neitzsche, Kant, Descartes, Aristotle, Socrates/Plato, Solon/Thales, Chuangzi, Nagarjuna's Mulamadhyamakarika, Adi Shankara, Aquinas, Russell, Whitehead, Bakunin and then the rest is up to you

besides how that just made vomit in my mouth, if you are interested in that stuff, read Kierkegaard, Heidegger, Neitzsche, Schelling and Shopenhauer. You'll he bust for quite a while