What is Holla Forums's opinion on copyrights and intellectual property...

What is Holla Forums's opinion on copyrights and intellectual property? Is it a similar opinion as yours on private property?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes. Plagerism is bad, but I think it's a uniquely capitalistic problem in how it is utilized. Also lazy students is a lousy excuse for the stifling of art and abusing too many content creators of every form out there.

Plagiarism should only be an academic disgrace. Nothing more. Ideas are not private.

ALL BELONGS TO ALL

what would be the stance for an ongoing story? For example a popular fictional book series is written and another person releases their own version. Would the second person have as much say in the canon of the story written by the first person as the first person?

youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4

I think actually my skepticism in intellectual property, led me to doubt the legitimacy of property in general.

Unlikely. Who would, realistically, take a book written by the non-canon author seriously?

don't know, maybe if they do not like the way the story is going compared to the second author

If you didn't like the author of the first book why would you get the second one?

I meant the way the story is going, as in you liked the story but it's taking a turn you do not like, where as the second author is doing the story made by the first person but it's taking a turn you do like.

Why does it matter if someone prefers some fanfic over the original?

In capitalist society there needs to be smart copyright law (all of it is dumb right now). In communist society the idea of copyright is nonsensical.

well, I mean since nobody owns the story since it's really just an idea then does that mean the second person has as much say in what could happen as the original author?

Like said, this is already happening right now with fanfics, the only thing that needs to be done is make it transparent who's writing what, everything else is up for the fanbase and the writer to decide.

I don't see why that is, doesn't crowdfunding already fix any matters of incentive without invading people's privacy to copy data they already have?

I download communism every god damn day.

so the writer starts a story that other authors and the fanbase then have an overall say in what happens? Or the original author has a say in what happens of the other author's ideas and fanbases opinions and what they want to be canon?

Not necessarily, I mean, even though GRR Martin sold GOT to HBO and they fucked the whole story up he's still writing according to his own canon and ignoring the TV show completely.
The fanbase gets a say if the writer wants them to, and the fanbase can build their various canons on the work of whatever official or fanfic authors they want to.
It's completely arbitrary.

The fanbase gets a say in the original source and the main canon if the writer wants them to*

oh alright

This already happens. People who take fanfics as canon generally get laughed at.

There's actually an enormously popular kockoff Harry Potter book in China, which shows what fanfic can do in the absence of enforced copyright.

Copyrights are useful in that they actually allow for functional anticapitalist conditions (that is, you can publish under a genuine copyleft license and permanently grant de facto control to the public).