Daily News Thread 3/18

Attacker killed at Paris Orly airport

The airport is closed after a man on a watch list tries to grab a soldier's gun and is shot dead.
bbc.com/news/world-europe-39314250

Buffett Opposes Proposal to Disclose Political Donations

Berkshire Hathaway Inc. investors will have a chance to vote on three shareholder resolutions opposed by Chairman Warren Buffett and his board, including a call for the firm to disclose any political contributions.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-17/buffett-opposes-investor-request-to-disclose-political-donations

'Anonymous' Joins Hacker Army Targeting Central Banks for Cash

The group last year attacked at least eight monetary authorities, including the Dutch Central Bank, the Bank of Greece, and the Bank of Mexico/
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-17/-anonymous-joins-hacker-army-targeting-central-banks-for-cash

China urges 'cool heads' on North Korea

China's foreign minister urges his US counterpart to be "cool-headed" over North Korea tensions.
bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-39313654

Record numbers of EU nurses quit NHS

Staffing crisis worsens as workers fear being unwelcome after Brexit.
theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/18/nhs-eu-nurses-quit-record-numbers

‘He was asking for help’: Police shoot, kill man on Facebook Live, family responds

A shocking livestream video shows the final moments of a man who was fatally shot by police in Tennessee. His relatives claim he was mentally ill and asking for help.
rt.com/usa/381208-hess-facebook-live-killed/

China accused by Taiwan of stepping up spy operations

China is accused of increasing its secret operations in Taiwan, after the island elected the independence-leaning Tsai Ing-wen as president last year.
bbc.com/news/world-asia-39307866

Don't forget us, says Chibok schoolgirl as third year of captivity approaches

A Chibok schoolgirl who escaped from Boko Haram militants in Nigeria has called on the international community not to forget those still in captivity.
bbc.com/news/education-39285042

Canadian border authorities detaining record number of Mexicans

Canada's border authorities detained more Mexicans in the first 67 days of 2017 than they did annually in any of the three previous years, according to statistics obtained by Reuters.
reuters.com/article/us-canada-immigration-mexicans-exclusive-idUSKBN16O2W3

'Healthiest hearts in the world' found

The healthiest hearts in the world have been found in the Tsimane people in the forests of Bolivia, say researchers.
bbc.com/news/health-39292389

Man who 'sent flashing tweet to epileptic writer' arrested in Maryland

A man accused of sending a flashing image to a writer in order to trigger an epileptic seizure has been arrested, the US justice department says.
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39315393

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/17/startup-boom-fizzle-san-francisco-housing-investment
vice.com/en_us/article/this-fbi-snitch-loved-selling-out-her-communist-friends
gizmodo.com/will-humans-have-to-upgrade-their-bodies-to-survive-on-1793236286
theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/03/dutch-election-wilders-populism/519813/?utm_source=feed
shadowproof.com/2017/03/13/perpetual-war-afghanistan-no-end-sight/
theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/17/everyone-loves-bernie-sanders-except-democratic-party
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-14/your-tax-dollars-subsidize-amazon-are-the-jobs-worth-it
youtube.com/watch?v=-ZBJDkpj3fw
msn.com/en-us/news/world/israel-only-country-to-escape-proposed-state-department-budget-cuts/ar-BBydDCt
washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/17/donna-brazile-admits-leaking-debate-questions-to-c/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP/ED

Has the tech bubble peaked? Signs that the startup boom may be fizzling

Startups are beginning to run out of money and investors are becoming more discerning. How does this compare to the time leading up to the dotcom crash?
theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/17/startup-boom-fizzle-san-francisco-housing-investment

This FBI Snitch Loved Selling Out Her Communist Friends

Lisa E. Davis's fascinating new book, Undercover Girl: The Lesbian Informant Who Helped the FBI Bring Down the Communist Party, recovers one of the mostly forgotten stories of the Red Scare, America's Communist witch hunt of the 1940s and 1950s.
vice.com/en_us/article/this-fbi-snitch-loved-selling-out-her-communist-friends

Will Humans Have to Upgrade Their Bodies to Survive on Mars?

Living and boning in space—particularly on Mars—has fascinated our degenerate species for decades.
gizmodo.com/will-humans-have-to-upgrade-their-bodies-to-survive-on-1793236286

What If the 'Populist Wave' Is Just Political Fragmentation?

Ever since the United Kingdom’s shocking vote to leave the European Union in 2016, nearly every political contest in the Western world has been characterized as a showdown between the moderate, establishment cosmopolitanism that has dominated Western politics for decades and the far-right populist nationalism that triumphed during the British referendum.
theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/03/dutch-election-wilders-populism/519813/?utm_source=feed

PERPETUAL WAR FOR PERPETUAL PEACE IN AFGHANISTAN

Given America is constantly expanding its military footprint around the world—most recently into Syria and the Central African Republic—one can be forgiven for forgetting about the longest war in the history of the United States: the war in Afghanistan.
shadowproof.com/2017/03/13/perpetual-war-afghanistan-no-end-sight/

Everyone loves Bernie Sanders. Except, it seems, the Democratic party

A new poll found he is the most popular politician in America. But instead of embracing his message, establishment Democrats continue to resist him
theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/17/everyone-loves-bernie-sanders-except-democratic-party

Your Tax Dollars Subsidize Amazon. Are the Jobs Worth It?

Warehouse jobs pay half what manufacturing jobs do, yet cities compete to offer the biggest tax breaks to the world's largest retailer.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-14/your-tax-dollars-subsidize-amazon-are-the-jobs-worth-it

my personal favorite of the day

inb4 anime makes everything irrelevant hentai post

Good riddance

Reminder that animu pics make anything 100% less relevant.

Newroz celebrations begin in Kurdistan:
youtube.com/watch?v=-ZBJDkpj3fw

Biji Serok Apo

that is the most liberal thing I've ever heard

You're a hero.

she became a fucking property owner after her failure to become a photographer, she then moved to Mexico where she died alone. Peak liberalism.

Shamelessly stolen from Leddit, but it's just too good.

Israel only country to escape proposed State Department budget cuts
msn.com/en-us/news/world/israel-only-country-to-escape-proposed-state-department-budget-cuts/ar-BBydDCt

trump_was_right.jpg

10 years in the slammer for sending a gif. What a brave new world.

If it happened nowadays, I'm sure we could add some clownhairs and pronouns.

Stop with the loli shit

Shit like this makes me so fucking mad, how can anyone stand for this shit and think it's remotely just?

It's ok bruh.
She is a 1000 year old witch.

4 years

I mean sending a flashing .gif to an epileptic person is a lot like sending anthrax or a bomb to a normal person.

Attacker killed at Paris Orly airport
The airport is closed after a man on a watch list tries to grab a soldier's gun and is shot dead.

*France

Donna Brazile admits leaking debate questions to Clinton camp: ‘A mistake I will forever regret’

washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/17/donna-brazile-admits-leaking-debate-questions-to-c/

Poor Donna!

So now the DNC emails were being monitored for months by Russians. They keep sliding into further into falsehoods. What's strange is that there is a segment of the deoncratic pundit class that doesn't think Russia is a big deal to democrats. Matthew Yglesias, for example.

It's extremely easy. Just act extremely self-righteous all the time. "My cousin has epilepsy, this asshole needs to be sent to jail for life, he intentionally did it, he's the worst person in the world, I hate him so much" and then scroll down to the next topic in /r/all, "my girlfriend made a legend of Zelda themed cake for my 30th birthday."

I have that same .gif

That's illegal, I'm calling the cops.

you deserve a federal criminal case for your posts

Call the cops nigga they can't fuck wit me

So what sources do you use for news, Holla Forums?

I like the Guardian, the Atlantic and the LA Times. Sometimes the WSJ whem I want porky perspective but most of the time they're cringeworthy with climate change denial and retarded fox news talking heads.

what if i get a federal court ORDER that ORDERS You to wear ADULT DIAPERS.

Court orders mean nothing to me

To be fair, seizure can kill people
I'm pretty sure that counts as attempted murder

is this what happens in the UK? There would've been a lead statue where that man was in the first couple seconds in the US. :7(

pretty sure it's a old meme that's made its way around the internet since 2003.

It's stupid. Everyone was yuking up at Kurt's almost certainty fake seizure after he made a fool of himself, and then when he gets his buddies at the FBI to go after the tweeter with insane levels of viciousness everyone pretends they were no laughing and it's oh so serious, not unlike sending anthrax in the mail "as a joke" you know.

I make a bit of an effort to stay away from news sources, frankly. I depend more on communities like ours to bring them to me.