So I've just beaten Thief in my second playthrough (on Expert...

So I've just beaten Thief in my second playthrough (on Expert, trying to Ghost with minimal usage of equipment as possible) after being inspired by Plutonia's "Let's Play" (that guy is fucking pro at this game).

Post your mission rankings. Here are mine:

- Assassins
- The Sword
- Song of the Caverns

- Bafford's Manor
- Cragscleft Prison
- Bonehoard
- The Lost City

- The Haunted Cathedral
- The Mage Towers
- Undercover
- Return to the Cathedral
- Escape!

- Thieves Guild (I really want to like it, but it's just so labyrinthine and frustratingly long)
- Strange Bedfellows
- Into the Maw of Chaos

Attached: Thief.jpg (800x696, 91.33K)

Stealth is a meme genre.

Great Tier: first three missions
Made me dump game tier: fourth mission

Attached: 1456808139949-0.jpg (1277x871 1.29 MB, 1.01M)

Great tier

Good tier

Bafford's Manor
The Sword
Mage's Tower

OK tier

Cragscleft Prison
Down in the Bonehoard
Return to the Cathedral
Into the Maws of Chaos

Not Good Tier

Undercover
Strange Bedfellows

Bad Tier

Haunted Cathedral
Escape!

Terrible Tier
Thieve's Guild

Thief 2 is the better game, but Thief 1 has better story and atmosphere.

The parts with actual thieving are good. The parts with zombies, floating fireballs, and giant lizards are shit.

That's what everyone thinks on their first time, but you'll start to appreciate the fantasy stuff and it'll grow on you. Those levels offers some nice change of gameplay that regular burglary missions don't have:

No, it isn't. Some levels in Thief 1 might be bad (Escape!, Mage's Tower and Thieves' Guild) but there are also some great levels (Down in the Bonehoard, Cragscleft Prison, Lost City, Return to the Cathedral). On the contrary, the only level which stands out in Thief 2 is Life of the Party, the rest is just average or outright bad (Kidnap, Blood Trail, Trace the Courier).

but my instant gratification though

I used to lurk the TTLG forums way back when, but even then I couldn't really say what percentage of people preferred Dark Project/Gold to T2. I chose to play Thief2 first and subjectively I think it has the superior level design and gameplay to suit the actual thieving/sneaking opposed to the first game's more supernatural adventuring. But when playing it after the second game, it doesn't feel as fresh at all.

Yeah I sure do love having to kill a bunch of haunts with scarce materials in a small area along with a bunch of other undead.
I don't dislike assassination style missions, but Return to the Cathedral was garbage as one. A good assassination mission is something like Ulysses: Genesis in TDM.

T1 has a good story, but T2 is more consistently good as a game with only one really bad level being Kidnap.

You mean just like every genre that's actually any good?

Attached: smug superman.gif (260x195, 1.13M)

Nah, I loved it all right from the start. Guess I'm an outlier.

I'd say to rank the missions you have to say if it's a first playthrough or a second one, on a first playthrough I'd rank Return to the Cathedral as Great but on a replay Average.

Don't forget this one unless the user working on it has updated it again.

I used to prefer 2 for its greater emphasis on actual thievery but over time I've come to prefer 1's weird/spooky missions. I guess it's really just a matter of personal preference. Also the horror influence really works well with a stealth game since it tries to keep you on edge the OST deserves a lot more credit for the game's atmosphere and also for attempting to fuck with you when you're listening for guards.

Try playing 2 if you haven't, you'll like it.

Use flash bombs and backstabs and they're no trouble at all.

Attached: the_dark_mod.png (848x1541, 702.21K)

I know it's bait, but Thief is the only stealth game where you spend minimal (10%) time jerking off in shadows, and most of the time running around in a giant maze being lost and accidentally bumping into guards. I mean fuck, you can even sprint right past guards in most scenarios (normal floor or carpet)

Yeah it's definitely a grower. I think it's because when you fire up Thief 1 for the first time, you go in assuming it'll be pure stealth (Thief 2), but it is way more complex and experimental than that. I still can't stomach The Haunted Cathedral though

Best game, still playing fan missions. I'm such a fucking pussy though, I started playing deaths cold embrace fan mission and there's some real fucked up shit in the first level I had to quit and uninstall it.

The only thing to learn is the overhead power attack and to bait and backstep enemy attacks (assuming they aren't a mage or magic-user). Combat is not a big thing in Thief, and is only really focused on outside of the missions with monsters when you severely fuck up.

Is that the one with the insane, mutilated, machine-human maid or am I thinking of something else?

There's only so many flash bombs.

Yeah, really fucked me up. I stopped playing, am afraid to encounter more fucked up shit along the way.

Return to the Cathedral is still the only time i've ever been afraid of playing a game. Those fucking haunts when they set after you, fuck, had to look up speed-runners doing the level, i just couldn't take it.

When did little girls start to post on Holla Forums? The spooky atmosphere is top-notch but it isn't something that should cause you that much fear.

That's the soy generation for you.

Add Volta to the list.
I'm the one who recommended you Step Too far.

If you can add a "shit tier list" add anything made by "Sir taffsalot", he was a nice guy but his maps sucked, I found out in hindsight.
The Creep is a great "atmospheric" level.

I haven't been on the dark mod community a bunch, but I remember that dude was super active. There really should be a tier list or something separating the good from the bad. TBH I can't really play the dark mod. It's too fractured across the board in terms of quality, and this comes from a dude who prefers T1 over T2. That and all the assets in the game remind me of HD weapon skin mods you use to see on gamebanana where they're super high resolution but also so badly done that it's headache inducing.

If you haven't checked out the FM 'A Servant's Life' yet, be sure to do so.

I'm not the user making it.

Good headphones make all the difference.