How did old Arcade machines manage to get those silky smooth 60 FPS framerates so consistently? What magic went there?

How did old Arcade machines manage to get those silky smooth 60 FPS framerates so consistently? What magic went there?

they were actual computers

What he said. They're a computer built to do only 1 thing. Modern systems and home computers are usually crunching numbers behind the scene while you're playing your game.

Standards.

Overpriced and overpowered hardware. For example sega's NAOMI 2 had power of 2 dreamcasts built into it. Publishers never save money on quality of arcade cabinets.

Dedicated chipsets to handling sprites, graphics rendering etc and a fairly decent CPU. PC's at the time had to simulate this mostly off software on a single CPU core. Dedicated chips is what used to separate the gaming console from the PC.

Its a google search away, lookup MAME while your at it as they has a lot of relevant info attached to it.

They were built to the exact needs of the game. The reason why there's so much resolution and framerate disparity in modern console games is because the idea of a universal hardware set just doesn't work.

Most of them did not either on purpose or by reusing board designs well past their prime.

The whole 30 fps bullshit started with PS360, which killed console games for those who care about them.

To elaborate, "DEM GRAFFIX" was an attempt to appeal to the dumbest and widest part of the consumer base, who didn't care about whether a game played smoothly, or was, you know, fun. Then came the idiots who never had to squeeze the most they could out of hardware, into the arena of gigantic drives and multiple gigabytes of RAM, so FUCK OPTIMIZATION, right? Just buy two 1080s and 16GB of RAM!

Bullet hell shooters are notorious for having loads of shitty slowdown actually.

And then some of the more zealous, shit-swilling variety of fans have the nerve to deride a console port for getting rid of the disgusting slowdown because it isn't "arcade faithful".

Can you believe there are actually people out there who prefer Metal Slug 2 over Metal Slug X? I'm not kidding, these people exist. Like, they genuinely enjoy playing in molasses?

Your double dubs speak the absolute truth user.

I play it in FBA overclocked. I get no slowdown.

No magic. Devs targeted 60fps and stuck with it, muh grafix be damned.

I think that the last time I truly had fun playing a game was the first time I played the Neo Geo I bought from Japan, and played Metal Slug X. First time playing an actual Neo Geo AES.

Happy coincidence, for to rely too heavily on numerology courts becoming (((something else))).

You play like a bitch.

It was played with the AES stick. Neo Geo controllers don't have autofire. Do you have some kind of degenerative nerve disorder that prevents you from rapidly tapping arcade buttons?

My apologies, I guess I just presumed. I don't typically shoot that fast unless it's warranted.

People who autofire in Metal Slug need to come to terms with the fact that they're big fat cheaters though. Seriously undermines the whole point of power-ups.

I was excited. Tends to make you do unnecessary stuff in games. It was more "is this the level with the hidden gem at the start? No? Oh shit, I can shoot fast!"