Space Thread: Infinite Cosmos Edition

Welcome back to another space thread Captains, Admirals and Emperors.

Other urls found in this thread:

aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=5663.0
kickstarter.com/projects/joshparnell/limit-theory-an-infinite-procedural-space-game/posts/2101143
robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen
starcitizentracker.github.io/
arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10838844-victory-is-life-our-fourth-expansion,-coming-june-2018!
sinsofasolarempire.wikia.com/wiki/Vasari
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also this episode was one of my favorites

TRASH
R
A
S
H

It seems to be in sync with me user

All that dignity for practically slaves with no say in their fate.

Empire at War II thankfully neverever.

It's worse when Petroglyph aka Westwood came crawling back and asked EA to make it.

Fugging hell

General threads should be banned on Holla Forums

Is it good? I've never played any SW game aside from the old battlefronts.

There is republic at war, a mod for EaW. It wasn't great though. Maybe you'll enjoy it.

It's a solid game. I feel that people hype it up too much, but it's worth a playthrough.

It's pretty good, the final level is a rush job though.
The game was a teaser for episode 3 after all.

Is stellaris worth it now?

Nah

Fuck, is the game they copied most things from worth it then?

It was pretty good for it's time, might not hold up now though.

It hurts user, but they would have probably made "him" a rebel anyway

I played that when it was first released. I enjoyed it though.

For what it is, it's pretty good. I've played through it a couple of times. It's very linear, but it's the closest you'll get to feeling like a clone commando. I really would like a Star Wars game of the likes of Dragon Rising, but I'll take what I get.

lmao

So do they get a choice to not be soldiers or what?

The same way they can choose to not be a genetic test-tub defect.

It's never an issue because they are bred to be both physically and mentally soldiers only iirc. It's all they want to do

bred grown

No choice given but some desert, if we're taking the Clone Wars Animation as canon.

The clone troopers are just plain clones, but the clone commandos are specially bred with their own experiences and personality to create a perfect black ops unit.

This really shows how alpha Palpatine was This is spoilers if you are watching the maul arc

Is this fanfiction?

It is now
.t Disney

Even in the old cannon it was said that even though Palpatine didn't like lightsabers much he used them just to mock his opponents as seen where he didn't even need to use it and just use the force to overpower them. And the reason he lost to mace windu was specifically because he used the vaapaad style that was a hard counter to the dark side

Do you guys still remember?

Are there any games that let me seek out new life and strange new civilizations. to boldly go and spank waifus that have never been spanked before?

Has that game shut down yet? I remember it having promise but being plagued with problem after problem

Depends, How human like do you want them to be user?

I will spank slurp swallow anything for the sake of humanity.

Anyone tried Drox Operative?

kek need some help there buddy?

You didn't get it from me

>>>/hgg/167809

You finks didn't see nothing

I learned that linking to other boards don't work under spoilers

So just take this >>>/hgg/167809

To shut me up is going to cost you!

Just take the link above you and go before the inquisition gets here and starts to give you and me a hot collar with a promethium shower

I fear not the Inquisition for I shall give them all a grand good dickings! though cheers buddy

Well good luck with that No problem user and enjoy yourself but not too much

Attached: Star Strike Rave - YouTube-1.mp4 (854x480, 9.6M)

You know funny enough I think there is a Freespace Mod for your webm.

Any new space games where you get to explore strange new worlds and encounter new life?

Attached: 1 0009.jpg (1203x1600, 437.62K)

No Man’s Sky.

Attached: aaaaaaaaaaaaafilthyfrank.webm (500x280, 254.18K)

Other than NMS and Spore, has there been anything like that released in the last TWENTY YEARS? I doubt it.

I actually really enjoyed it after a few patches but I was looking for a more narrative driven game with more handcrafted content. NMS really captures the feel of those old science fiction book covers but I was wondering if there was something that aimed more for the content of those books.

Attached: 2.jpg (1600x699, 868.94K)

The plot of star wars is best summed up in tourneyfag language… how the mighty have fallen

I guess it's more of a strategy/tactics game, but what's up with Battlefleet Gothic: Armada. Are there scripted you are meant to lose missions? Because the AI is clearly not playing by the same rules and you frequently lose missions for no clear reason.

>instantly lose
>enemy warps away immediately

Attached: keisari.jpg (228x237, 17.04K)

Honestly? No. Because the AI are playing by vanilla rules while you are forced to play with cucked up "B-but m-muh multiplayer balance" rules which makes campaign a massive chore.

No, instead it's on steam now.

What this guy said.
Also, the AI in general is retarded and tries to get into close combat as soon as possible, every time.
Which for orks works wonders but the space elves on the other hand…

Attached: Skilled warriors.jpg (823x514, 185.35K)

Is Stellaris worth a shit or should I just pass it up? I like EU4 and CK2.

Attached: space.webm (480x480, 3.04M)

I've not really played it all that much but from what I've seen I'd say it isn't worth playing.

Attached: StarFlight.ilbm.png (640x400, 22.63K)

I dont know are you a weak willed bitch that cant decide if a game is good or not without consulting the hivemind first?

The general consensus is "its worth a couple of playthroughs but thats it".

As someone was has bought it, It's fun and easy to customize for a neat setup of whatever scifi elements you hunger for, but nothing stops the swedes from making the gameplay a complete clusterfuck at some point in the game.

Attached: 34130294_p0.jpg (6000x4500, 2.09M)

Paint that green and make it a female, you'd have a top tier uggo gobbo waifu.

Post favourite vidya aliens.
space aliens only

Attached: x-com-muton.jpg (1201x1091 45.89 KB, 1.53M)

Attached: Aurora Tutorial2.jpg (1400x8825 5.91 MB, 7.66M)

Attached: Tau21.png (800x1018 366.55 KB, 105.54K)

And that is why you only let good drunks pilot your space ships.

That change in AI is likely because during the earliest open beta builds, chaos fags liked hovering just outside of your sensor range and pelting you. Which was good, because that was what chaos was designed to do, but I can imagine a bunch of people whining to the developers about it. There were counters in the game that you were supposed to use, like taunt or using the probes/increasing sensor radius.

Attached: Aurora Tutorial6.jpg (2300x5792 1.42 MB, 5.75M)

Endless Space 1 only, not those "lel science explosions xd" fuckheads from the second game.

Attached: Sophon_life.jpg (1920x2076 309.5 KB, 3.79M)

I miss TCW.

The unfallen and the space vampires are the only races I particularly like in ES2. The horatio are entertaining, but much like the empire, I think they were done better in ES1. The Mezari just sting, especially in the context of them replacing the Broken Lords with that new faction which has the same base premise but without the doubt.

I was planning on making more of these, but then I realized it is pretty much finished. I don't know what I tutorial I wanted to do now.

Attached: Aurora Tutorial10.jpg (1100x6264 1.31 MB, 3.24M)

I assumed ES2 was better than ES1 as sequels in this genre are typically just straight upgraded versions of the previous title. What are the pros and cons of both of them?

Attached: eh.png (651x611, 314.71K)

Yeah, I think all of the races that were in both 1 and 2 were better done in 1

ES2 is a better game, but ES1 does better on the fiction, and factions.

That's exactly what happened, specifically the Imperialfags were the biggest whiners

I think I should maybe just stick to Sword of the Stars for now.

Attached: b520b1f2edbb7ccfec78e2e1f73217a172b2c0beb92b0b50a4664cbc7df65956.gif (720x720, 36.13K)

aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=5663.0
Use the installer here. Don't give up.

Attached: logh64.jpg (640x480, 43.68K)

The Empire got fucking ruined.

Basically what and said. Lore got fucked, and for all the spit and polish on the gameplay it just feels a lot lazier and has way worse writing.

This, the gigglesqee is off the fucking charts in Endless Space 2. Even the damn tutorial for the Vodyani is written in that tone.

It feels like they are trying to be something like Star Wars now. In ES1 the heroes were basically super powered junkies, while in ES2 they have an academy and generally the feeling is more like Jedi/sith expies. You have more humanoid aliens now, and a lot of the pretty neat factions from 1 got downgraded to minor factions, if they are there at all.

So play ES2, but read up on the ES1 lore then?

Attached: 1465047585839-1.png (481x511, 105.98K)

Yeah, ES2 has the shiny graphics and more engaging gameplay, but the writing just isn't as good as ES1's pretty sparse writing

I miss the Pilgrims.

Attached: Endless_Legend_2_Unfalllen.png (591x293, 107.08K)

I am excited for the new spy faction on the way from Amplitude, but I wish the old factions were back.

i recognize that bridge

Attached: d426a0815ed7748025e13fb90f8fbe68.jpg (1965x1002, 505.61K)

There isn't nearly enough comfy spaceship bridges in games.

Attached: 3334ffr.jpg (500x373, 46.87K)

It's not like everyone else wasn't whining as well though.
Or did you forget the nerfs to the nova cannons already?

Damn right.

Attached: 1484192414949.jpg (1600x1050, 921.82K)

yes, and try to get your hands on the artbook since it fleshes everyone out

There's a mod for X Rebirth that add bridges to capital ships
Also, in the vanilla game, it's pretty comfy to just stay on board a mining ship and look at your mining drone going and coming back with their haul

Attached: index.jpg (300x168 244.36 KB, 10.14K)

Has Braven managed to at least improve the qol in Elite by now? Any relevant for non-Horizon people?

Christ I can't type today.

Clearly you didn't ctrl+f

What is the goal of the Shivans, if they even have things like goals? Why don't they use their full strength against us? Why do they destroy stars? Did Volition even think that far ahead?

And more importantly, who your Freespace shipfu user? Doesn't need to be something you can pilot.

Attached: LOVtgnk.jpg (1920x1080, 833.11K)

There is only one correct answer to that. The mother fucking GTA Galatea!

Attached: The mother fucking Galatea.jpg (1280x535, 467.01K)

Daily reminder Hard-Light wiki is still broken

NTF Iceni.

What did they find and see in the Nebula?

Attached: ntf_iceni.jpg (700x325, 31.67K)

Gachimuchi

I love the Fenris cruisers, they're better than the uninspired cruisers that replaced them in 2

No, not really. ED is still barely a game.

Speaking of Freespace, is it normal to not be able to fucking hit anything? If I'm not within 150m then my shots miss completely when firing in the target assist reticle. I don't have this problem in any other space game, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if fighting up very close is simply how the game is played. Any tips?

Attached: accuracy.jpg (500x395, 56.82K)

I remember using missile at range and waiting to be closer to fire lasers. I had trouble too back in the days.

Sounds about right. What's the matter user, don't you like shooting spaceships at point-blank range? That said, you should be able to still hit things occasionally at 500m, like finishing off damaged ships. Especially if they're not maneuvering.

Attached: Silence All Voices.webm (960x540, 7.78M)

Two words: Gun banks. Even if your reticle is where it is supposed to be, you can't be fully accurate if your gun banks are mile apart.

Speaking of Star Wars, found the CD version of X-Wing, but never seen TIE around. It is pretty good, even for game in early 90's. The problem? I need a fucking joystick to play it properly, playing it with mouse is complete horseshit.

Thanks. It's quite embarrassing to go from wiping out entire fleets in other games to looking at the results screen in Freespace and realizing I only killed like 2 or 3 ships throughout the whole mission.

I am completely unfamiliar with Gun banks. Is this something they added in Freespace 2?

Attached: setsuchan.jpg (636x424, 61.03K)

I mean positioning of the guns you have in ship

Attached: herc.jpg (480x340 31.13 KB, 36.05K)

I've got a few questions regarding the latest Stellaris DLC Don't worry, I pirated it
But how the fuck am I expected to win wars? All I want to do is Vassalize these faggots who have pathetic everything in comparison to me. I'm wiping the fucking floor with them and I don't know why this glitchy ass game has them listed as winning battles cause believe you me they didn't do anything of the sort. I'm occupying nearly every fucking planet they own and every system ( though for some fucking reason I can't go to certain systems in their territory DESPITE the hyperlanes being connected to them and also DESPITE the fact that I am in a FUCKING WAR WITH THEM)
How glad am I that I didn't pay good money for this steaming pile of fucking dog shit cause this game is seriously one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever seen in my life. They've been working on it for God knows how long and it's still a piece of crap as you can see.
Please tell me I am doing something wrong cause I'd rather not believe I just wasted my time downloading 8GBs of raw sewage and played this far into a game before getting stuck and being unable to complete any of the objectives.
This really triggers the fuck out of me because the last time I played this, around when the leviathan DLC came out, I also hated the game and especially how wars are done. For some fucking reason, you can't just dominate an entire country/territory/whatever in one war - no, you have to split it up into several wars spanning thousands of years because of the stupid fucking peace treaties in between coupled with how limiting the war demands are. It's fucking WAR. Why the fuck are there rules for WAR?

This fucking war in particular should have been over before it started considering how much stronger I am compared to this weak little joke of a fucking army. But nooo~ for some reason they didn't want to be vassalized even though they stood actually 0% chance of winning this. Fuck this stupid ass game. Can someone help me? Advice? Tips? Tricks?

Attached: shittyassgame2.png (1054x640 532.52 KB, 957.71K)

Here's the thing I was talking about. I can't go to this system for whatever reason - the game doesn't tell me - despite the fact there's a hyperlane leading straight to it and that I am, in fact, in war with these fags.
Please tell me it's a bug.

Attached: shittyassgame3.png (523x412, 236.25K)

Not supposed to dogfight in an Ursa
Nothing wrong, cannon placement is very similar to Descent's Pyro
Rotate herc 30* and attack from target's broadside

Conclusion:
git gud

Attached: Such BSG.webm (480x270 370.37 KB, 1.23M)

The way they made wars work makes vassalization impossible most of the time. I usually give the game a go when a new expansion comes out but right now the war exhaustion system is straight broken.

the magnet icon is a warp inhibitor enabled space station

Open question to anyone. I have an old torrent of stellaris, do I play it or grab the version with all the updates?

doesnt matter really
you had somewhat dysfunctional game before and you still have a somewhat dysfunctional game just in other ways

user learn to use youtube-dl or at least keepvid or Video DownloadHelper

learning ffmpeg would not hurt either

#!/bin/bash./ffmpeg -y -i "Star Strike Rave-VlqvOCMRgNg.mkv" -c:v libvpx-vp9 -b:v 499k -pix_fmt yuva420p -pass 1 -c:a:0 libopus -b:a 128k -speed 0 -f webm /dev/null && \./ffmpeg -y -i "Star Strike Rave-VlqvOCMRgNg.mkv" -c:v libvpx-vp9 -b:v 499k -pix_fmt yuva420p -pass 2 -c:a:0 libopus -b:a 128k -speed 0 -metadata title="Star Strike Rave" -metadata comments="Source: youtube.com/watch?v=VlqvOCMRgNg" -f webm "Star Strike Rave.webm"
this isn't even top quality conversion, I could probably shave a MB off this if I tried harder but that would take hours of time I would rather spend on vidia

Combat is ass, do not buy

Attached: Star Strike Rave.webm (854x480, 6.08M)

Thanks mate, I'm glad it's not just me. I ended up starting a new game as a gestalt consciousness. At least that way I won't have to worry about war exhaustion.

The game isn't the worst thing ever these days. It's still bad but there are some decent moments.

Did something change in Elite Dangerous in the past months?

I came back to it after not playing for a while and I literally cannot fight anymore. I get absolutely destroyed in minutes, I can barely get a shot on the enemy ships at all.
It's not like I was amazing before, but christ at least I could claim a few bounties

Attached: 6b12c196843998c669e4e2925b9ad31e39a12ac466d15ad5ee8f8fd6808f8f17.jpg (902x960, 158.72K)

war exhaustion is universal
theres a mod that changes the system so that instead of forcing a status quo the war exhaustion slowly applies penalties to your production essentially allowing to to wage a war indefinitely if you can stomach it, however it has its own drawbacks, like potential endless wars because the AI does not recognize war exhaustion mali as related to war exhaustion

IIRC some gestalt consciousness in my last game was capable of conquering whatever system it was able to plow through. Am I wrong?

Does it have content yet

Odd thing that happens when you have conquered planets and go for "settle forstatus quo".
You take over the planets you have taken over and get the systems you took over.

So when are anons finally going to play Freespace together?

When we figure out how to make a persistent campaign with permadeath

That must be a bug.

The main Space Station or the Planet has a warp inhibitor, just as the other user said. If the Space station has it then just take it from them. If the planet then bombard the living shit out of them! If you want the planet intact try to bombard their fortress (on the planet).

It's a fucking annoying mechanic and the AI likes to spam fortresses (since they cheat with the economy it won't hurt them).My main strategy is to blow every single planet they have with the planet-cracker. Fuck their inhibitors! Fuck every xeno scum! Fuck the shitholes which spawned them!

Check the "Achive Goals" with hovering your mouse above the button. it will give you some hint like: they still have forces to feel confident, not enough planets were subdued by your military (space battles worth jackshit), you don't have enough system in your hand, etc.
I don't know whch version you play (i only played the fitgirl release), and as far as i know the war is ultra bugged! You can wipe out whole races but if your goals not meet when you reach max exhaustion then the AI will force a white peace on you! BULL FUCKING SHIT!

How would that even work?

Cant be, it has occured on multiple wars now.
Likewise, if you settle for status quo while enemies hold your systems they get those.

Dont tell anyone thoguh, EA would be all over this shit if they realized they could sell a game over and over again to people and just say "hey, itäs perma death, just like you asked".

I meant the persistent campaign part. Are we just constantly taking new missions?

When Hard-Light decides to fix the FS netcode.

i've vassalized a few now, you pretty much have to conquer all of their planets (not the system, land troops on the planet) before your war exhaustion hits 100. at that point they will surrender and give you the war goal, which is vassalization if that's what you picked.

if the empire is too big and your never going to do it before your war exhaustion hits 100, then it's going to take 2 wars. war 1 go for claims, claim half of their space, even if you have to go status quo you'll get your claims (if you took over those systems). cut their empire size in half. war 2, go for vassalization.

alternatively don't try to vassalize them at all, conquer all of their systems, which is easier, then vassalize one of their planets separately (you can vassalize your own planets). With this new 1 system 1 planet vassal, trade them the rest of the systems, whatever you want to give them. They won't start out hating you this way.

you only get their systems during status quo if you have the conquer/claim systems war goal, same for the AI if they own your systems, have that war goal, and you settle status quo.

What the fuck are Frontier even doing all this time? Sit around and let the shekels roll in?

Post good sci-fi space books.

The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolf

I'm reading dune right now. It's pretty decent so far.

Blindsight
Raft
Ninefox Gambit
Rendezvous with Rama
Red Mars

That's an old video, using some outdated models (like the Space Station).

For soft sci fi, I'd recommend The Culture series from you only get their systems during status quo if you Iain M Banks. Its a good work that takes a longer look on the higher end of tech than most Sci Fi dares show off.

For harder Sci Fi, the Honor Harrington series from David Webber. It has a lot of tech but nearly all of it is based on one handwavium tech used in different ways. The tactics are interesting, world building is decent and the tech is cool.
The major flaw of the series is the characters, main character is a woman who is unusually strong, a tactical genius, unusually pretty, has a sentient pet cat that is regularly allowed to murder people, can outdraw a trained duelist with pistols with a few weeks of practice, outfight trained swordsmen with katana's, after a few weeks of practice, is given aristocratic titles in two different countries, the list goes on. Suffice to say, before the story is over, you will want to strangle her. Weber also injects a lot of lolbertarian politics into the world.

If you want to get into 40k lore, I'd recomend the CIAPHAS CAIN! HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!
An (almost entirely not) fearless commissar who leads a regiment of ¨¨cannon fodder¨¨ brave imperial guards through a variety of conflicts with enough humor along the way to avoid being a painful slog like so much of the usual fanfiction style faire you get with licensed books.

Alternatetly, consider reading up on some of the classics. You can find most of the older stuff as audiobooks on jewtube and in written form around the web. I've been listening to a lot of H.P. Lovecraft lately myself. His eldergods stuff is more sci fi than horror, much to my surprise.

The Mote in God's Eye
A Fire Upon the Deep
Hyperion

Gene Wolfe is my favorite living author, good taste.

Dune is pretty great but I'd advice anyone who picks up the series to stop at book four.

Red Mars is both amazing and awful at the same time. I've only managed to read it at a glacial pace and in small doses but even though I find so much about it objectionable it sticks with you.

Attached: frank_frazetta_space104attack.jpg (1300x1202, 389.63K)

I agree with you on Red Mars, the dialogue is clunky, the character development is shit and you wish half of them would just hurry up and fucking die. But in terms of autisticly portraying the colonization and terraforming of a planet it's hard to beat.

For harder sci fi, you recommend Horatio Hornblower in space?

Attached: 4275298cce98c0347d5c4cfefb7e7bf235b42147d1437f2c751fe2538fd4c1f4.png (525x507, 1.02M)

I was going to just read this book and stop. I believe it has dune and its sequel. Maybe just dune.

Just whatever you do avoid anything touched by Brian Herbert or Anderson. Pure aids.

Just like Star Wars is WWII in space, yes.

The same thing now happens in the 2.02 Beta patch, remaining at full war exhaustion will grind your economy into dust.

God Emperor of Dune is the best one though.

Seeing how that is the fourth, I might just end up doing what the user recommended. Thanks for the tips.

here's a question: Where is the sequel to SoaSE: Rebellion? Instead they released that abomination of a tech-demo Ahes of the Singularity.

It's not only hard to beat but it's the only series of books that really attempts what it does. I think the autism that cripples the characters and to some extent the overall writing is necessary to make it shine so very brightly when it comes to Mars itself and the colonisation of it.

Attached: green-mars-cover-painting-don-dixon.jpg (706x900, 115.61K)

You might get shit on for recommending Culture novels because to first time reader they might seems like 'SJW in spaaaaace'. They are nice novels though, Excession, Player of Games and Look to Windward are pretty good read, especially with the ending of Look to Windward which is basically Don't fuck with the Culture: The Novel.

I recommend Forever War, Red Mars (and subsequent books even though the colonization phase with the first 100 is pretty comfy), Starship Troopers, Dune (but don't read those by the son, they suck) and Foundation Cycle (The Mule did nothing wrong).

Attached: alia.jpg (320x258, 60.83K)

Excession is a ton of fun. The Affronters are comedy gold.
I also like the twist in Use of Weapons and the way the entire story is told, with half of it in reverse order like Memento.
I also love the use of things like shell worlds or the Sleeper Service and all such kinds of tech.

Freespace Open let's you play the campaign in co-op. It's not impossible to technically lose all your ships in it.

I read 2312 by the same author, and after that I basically decided never to read another of his books. By you guys' reviews, I think I made the right choice.

2312 is an awful book. My impressions of it are that the author had a bunch of crazy sci-fi ideas (a city on tracks on Mercury that always stays in twilight! hollowed-out asteroids turned into biospheres! terraforming Venus! rogue AIs! people can just randomly change genders!), but rather than use them to embellish a strong plot, they're used in place of a plot. The whole thing is more or less the main character fucking around the Solar System while more important shit happens elsewhere, and by the end of the novel everything is just quietly resolved off-screen, and you're left wondering why the fuck you wasted your time. Shit you not, there's a single chapter that's a hundred pages long, and it's nothing but two characters in a tunnel on Mercury, monotonously describing their slow journey towards rescue. Frankly I don't know how I made it through that book, but I won't be fooled twice.

Some mission types were paying to well and FDev removed them. So it actually has less content.

Attached: star_trek_clips_but_out_of_context_-_YouTube_-_2018-02-11_02.33.35.png (347x419, 224.8K)

Classic Braben

FDev are too busy buffing grind, and removing all payouts worth a fuck.

I bougth some short stories from isaac asimov a few years ago, they were fun. I liked the one were all the houses had doors that were connected to other doors. so all humans never needed to go outside.

Truth is I'm pretty sure now they can't fix it anymore. It's obvious they don't know what they are doing. Also I'm convinced the BGS is an excel sheet an intern mess around with each night.

Attached: 1447607612023.webm (176x144, 7.44M)

I just want a damn open space game to play with friends that isn't a disaster and is actually released in the last five years.

Tough luck bruh. Maybe Evochron?

I really am a non believer regarding one men projects, a creative unit has to be pressure by people on higher positions to deliver a project or we will have delays on the best case scenario and complete breakdown on the worst. He could at least hire some cheap labor to help with things.

Attached: Alex.jpg (400x400, 38.61K)

I was just in this very thread on the Starsector forums and you post this. We got a connection man. Well there is the occasional blog post and there's around a year between each release so yeah, I'll take what we get.

I've tried it, but it doesn't scratch that old itch you know?
I hate it to say it but I really miss back when Holla Forums had a Freelancer server. But that's like 10 years ago.

Those were the days, I miss Freelancer too, it;s the only thing I wanted out of Star Citizen, an updated FL. Instead Chris Roberts got a taste of how successful and easy it was to sell jpegs to normalfags.

Honestly I've played the game. The issue is less that and more that it's just so fucking boring. Everything is slow and everything has to take too long to do. Every action has stupidly long animations, every ship travels slow. The best way to kill any interest in the game is to actually play it.
I'm hoping X4 will be good but my favorite part of Freelancer ended up being having deep space adventures with friends.

i need to bring my only destroyer and see if i can do it this time

Attached: 784514563.gif (384x384, 1.57M)

Pulsar kind of like that mixed with Artemis. There's a decent "space adventure" aspect to it at least.
for unreleased stuff the guy that ran the Holla Forums is making one. There was also limit theory, but I've heard that's just a disaster.

I'm surprised they could actually reach you with how big their systems are.

the thing is, once i blow up the station, i need to protect the transport until it reaches a station, the damn thing needs to enter a gate were all the hostiles terrans are entering the sector.

I tried Puslar but there's too many outstanding issues there. Plus

I'm not too interested in unreleased games though.

That's why you set up platforms outside the gates.

I added a jumpdrive on the fucker and jumped him to neptune so he doesnt get intercepted by any ships that escaped my destroyer.

Red Mars is not as bad as 2312 in that regard, it puts you in the centre of things and has some neat stuff happening occasionally. The characters still kind of suck though and the plot isn't half as interesting as the ideas explored.

I remember that even on Mars muslims would fuck shit up as always.

Being a space game fans nowadays is suffering. I think I'll just play Freespace 2 again.

Limit Theory's back in development and making at least some progress, but that hiatus really did drag on a long time.

I just finished 'Revenger' by Alastair Reynolds and it kicked ass. People tell me the rest of his books are really great, but I haven't gotten into them yet.

Got a link? The last time I saw it was three years ago.

Latest development update is here:
kickstarter.com/projects/joshparnell/limit-theory-an-infinite-procedural-space-game/posts/2101143
Sounds like the dev hired some folks and is making progress, but that whole mental health breakdown he had and his recovery basically added a year to the dev cycle. Pretty good lesson on taking development burnout seriously, there.

Muh normalfags don't sink hundreds of dollars into .jpg spaceships and the privilege to alphatest a loose collection of CryEngine mods or form a People's Temple-esque cult around a sphees game.
That's pure, unadulterated autism.

Attached: u havin a giggle m8.jpg (600x653, 36.51K)

gacha games would beg to differ.

we got at least two gacha threads here and one on hgg and there's always the risk of another one popping up. Its like if you took lootboxes out of games and made a game around lootboxes.

JUST LAND ALREADY

Galimulator>Stellaris

Argonians are the retard kings of the X universe

I doubt Brabo has any saying in what goes down at FDev anymore. Seems like the faggot Sandro Sandnegro is fucking up most of the design choices, with the forum mods and PR soyboys destroying valuable feedback. Doesn't help that the community has a 2-digit average IQ

Endless Space 2 is on sale right now for $20. Is it worth it?

Attached: questionanimugrill.jpg (370x341, 33K)

That Sandro nigger should have been fired a long time ago. He is still there so he probably has some dirt on Braben or something.

And I now have a new desktop background. Thanks

repulsor lifts in the saber

clone wars is still considered nuCanon

Why does everyone respond with ">paying for"?
Fucking torrent it. Find out if you like it. Are the summerfags early this year?

Yeah, I think so. It's fun and you'll probably think about your games long after you stop playing

The bugs did nothing wrong.

Attached: vlcsnap-2017-02-01-21h38m05s813.png (1920x1058, 2.73M)

FUCK YOU!
I just want to finish this damn missions and start the HQ one, so I can jump into X3 AP and maybe be on time for x4

Attached: purehate.png (1920x1080, 1.86M)

How does it feel to be complete shit?

I bet you dont even 100kk CPH

not if you want satisfying combat

so, any Starmade fags still kicking?
lost interest in the game completely a few months before the power update came out. how is it nowdays? from what i saw in the videos they released way back when, it looked kinda shit

Attached: d32551ff2d34234c1a3ce0a946a8ed6e9cbe22811226c3ff2d7b07e0c00a1f87.png (640x480, 389.71K)

Yeah, if you like 4X is bretty gud

Here's my positive contribution for the month.

Attached: How to Webm 8chan.webm (1066x600, 4.01M)

Where the ayylien women at?

Attached: mpv-shot0034.jpg (1920x1080 204.76 KB, 127.82K)

That's a funny way of spelling crash

Yes it is.
The developers Amplitude actually make pretty satisfying, comfy strategy games. If you like 4X tile based games Endless Legend is also pretty great. I'd skip Endless Space 1 though, considering that was their breakout, it's rough around the edges in a number of ways and ES2 does everything better.
also be sure to read the manpower guide, that shit isn't explained anywhere

fug

Attached: 1442374547533.jpg (1920x1080, 90.2K)

you want to produce the cheapest missiles and guns in large quantities, flails and hammers are their own category so they sell like hotcakes

It never really recovered from the community dying back in 2014 or so during the big development drought back then. That shit always happens to Early Access multiplayer games that stay in development for years and run into rough periods. It's happening to Space Engineers right now–the constant development hiccups and broken updates have chased off something like 90% of the community and everybody's playing Empyrion now instead.

is Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion any good? It's on sale at the moment for 20 bucks and I'm thinking about getting it.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (600x331, 381.63K)

Yes, go for it.

Yes. It's a wonderful game.

The Sins of the Prophets mod is the best Halo game.

Attached: NEVER EVER.png (578x667, 242.76K)

i played it 1 year ago for about 2 weeks, multiplayer is retarded unbalanced

Why can't anyone make something like Dunkirk but in space? All I could think about when in the theatre was how much cooler if would be if instead of hearing the whir of the german planes on the beach, it was the crackles of a warp storm from a ship warping into the atmosphere like pic.
sorry for posting about endless space 2 so much

Fuck forgot pic

Attached: img.png (1134x480, 788.57K)

Is there any cure for me fellas? Or should I finally try something easy like stelaris.

Attached: Sleeping is nice.jpg (719x686, 110.79K)

Problem is that its hard to base a story about the spess merehns in any half way sensible setting, since any conflict they are in will be so massive as to defy portrayal in any meaningful way.
Its hard to make a story about a group of dudes in power armor seem relevant when it has to part of an invasion of hundreds of millions of dudes in power armor being thrown at hundreds of millions of other dudes.
This is further undermined by the utter irrelevance of anything those power armored dudes could ever hope to do on the planet, compared to the fight in space in the first place. Those hundreds of millions of dudes in power armor will need fleets of tens of thousands of ships, just to transport them, and tens of thousands more dedicated warships to keep the enemy from blowing up said transports.
And then there's the problem of "the battle on the ground is pointless since the fate of the planet is determined in the battle in space". Either the attacking fleet wins and can thus bomb any ground defenders with impunity, or the defenders win and the attackers ground forces won't be able to land. There's very little middle ground, since landing hundreds of millions of dudes on the planet will require a lot of access to the planets orbit, while this access also allows the attackers to bomb any part of the planet. So the battle will be over before the dudes in power armor get to use all their toys.
The tendency of the battle in orbit deciding everything gets even worse once you start considering supply lines. Supplying those hundreds of millions of dudes with power armor, guns, food and such will require near unobstructed access to the planet in space.
Then the attackers can deploy however heavy hitting bombardments up to and including making the planet uninhabitable, with the defenders having limited ability to retaliate from the surface. This kind of shit is what relativistic kill vehicles are for.
Why the fuck would they? Its easier to just build habitats if they want living room and they don't need the planet to be inhabitable to mine it.
You see, the defenders are stuck in the unpleasant paradox of, if you fight too hard to keep the planet, the attackers might just glass the planet instead of dealing with you.

TL:DR, That's not how war in space would work.

I really do not remember those ships seeming that big. Then again, I haven't played since before they added fighters and bombers.

Even 40k runs into this problem, iirc. Chaos won some series of matches that were supposed to determine the fate of some campaign. These were the ground matches, but the space forces lost, or they just had author fiat kill the Chaos fleet in orbit, and so the imperial forces bombed the victorious chaos army to oblivion. Which was why Relic had the battles in orbit be undecided during the campaign, or there be some relic/important thing on the planet worth keeping around. The Empire Strikes Back also included a reasonable explanation for why they would use ground forces to invade Hoth; the problem with that particular scenario was why the Empire didn't starve them out. However, supplies in SW are seldom considered.

The Orks would fit most because they have similar accents

Attached: mpv-shot0065.jpg (1920x1080 185 KB, 234.63K)

t. Isaac Arthur

>>>/cuckchan/

are you literally retarded?

are you?
that t. shit is all over cuckchan and then started popping up here like a fucking disease

and so is coonspeak, I dont see you sperging out about that, guess why?
that ship is sailed, thats why

t.user

smh tbh fam

Attached: 4cec2a9ea7cb843cb5d886f9102c0fe2f40f62d10df1eb1b8a42a5d2b9e059cb.jpg (400x395, 73.9K)

There are some really good mods for it. $20 is a really good price for it.

Attached: tfw you send your entire fleet to the enemy's homeworld.gif (480x360, 6.11M)

Attached: you will not go to space today.webm (854x480, 7.84M)

Gay. Get impregnated.

see

Reminder that the loyalist merchants are best faction.

Attached: 1451755177756.png (640x480, 534.69K)

Attached: 2d76bbd919e6d268b9a9d0b6ca….png (960x720, 495.12K)

Attached: 1438881962698.jpg (633x480, 36.38K)

Empire or go home, fag.

Attached: 1462144601023.png (633x480, 448.35K)

Thats not Visari loyalists you pleb

Attached: succ.png (400x400, 136.6K)

In all seriousness though, I believe TEC rebels are the best faction because of space shotgun.
Why must rebel scum have the most excellent unit the game?
Also, all factions are pretty fun to play. Visari have a special mention because they can build those arcs.

Visari is also the one faction that has an excuse to use basic corvettes into the lategame due to their regen ability

I admit that the Visari with the fortress that can move from planet to planet are pretty good but I forgot witch ones they are.

I prefer late game Loyalist fortress spam. Also Advent culture spread can be pretty fun.

Come to think of it anyone want to actually play Sins?

Attached: 1420255100290.png (1680x1050, 714.4K)

I do want to play it but i'm terrible at RTS games.

I haven't played Sins in years an I was never really good at it.

Armada 3 mod makes it worth the full price honestly.
WHERE THE FUCK ARE MY POSTS CODEMONKEY!?

Attached: 204880_20170804042317_1.png (1920x1200, 1.22M)

Same.

Damn straight.

Attached: Soase Rebellion Halo mod 5.jpg (1920x1080 281.17 KB, 403.96K)

Way that works for me is to build a capitol ship that can colonize, then fill up my initial fleet power with regular frigates, after that, take over nearest planets/entire system and start building up further my powerbase.

Also each time i take a planet i immediatetly max out its pop capacity in order to actually get tax revenue from them instead of losing money due to underdevelopement which leeches money.
After that i search the planet for anything valuable, like relics and such and then i build the mines and add a trade center and a single mining station on the orbit.
Those latter two on every planet assoon as i have enough research stations on my first few colonies to open up the entire research tree, as the trade stations can be replaced with starbases with trade facilities later.

Attached: Soase Rebellion Halo mod 7.jpg (1920x1080 331.71 KB, 331.82K)

Gacha and lootboxes work similar to gambling by hijacking the dopamine system and producing immediate stimulus. Meanwhile the average autistic goon who spends a few hundred bucks on flying_hospital_frigate.jpg has nothing pictures in his head and dreams of LARPing as a space abortion ship/ambulance driver.
For it's alleged 600.000 backers SC has not only a fraction of them playing but also has a horrible retention rate because people quit playing the current version after a few hours. Which is a complete inversion of the problem many EA games face on release, namely retaing interest and a player base (look at Subnautica for example).

I have semi-high hopes for the next update. Will bring some needed replayability to the base game.

Excellent choice

Attached: isaac_h_04.jpg (736x523 225.65 KB, 46.11K)

Attached: 1382474481215.png (1920x1200 66.99 KB, 1.53M)

What's the state of star citizen?

So the obvious thing is that it's been in development for at least 5 years now with no release date, $150 million spent, more loans taken out and single player portion Squadron 42 dropped to possibly never be played. Oh! And land claims. By ponying up $100, you get to stake a claim in the virtual world. But can't really do anything with it at this stage.

That's the basis. Awhile back they had a big "3.0" patch that added a few things to the game but they had to cut alot of stuff they wanted to add like bounty hunting.
According to this: robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen
They're planning on expanding that out over 4 patches every 3 months this year, then supposedly "4.0" after that.
But as it stands right now? You've got Arena Commander, which allows you to race and dogfight the ships in an enclosed space. Star Marine is their FPS portion but plays like UT or Destiny or something, again separate. Area 18 is basically a social place, where you get to hang out and buy stuff when it gets made like a good little fan boy. The Hanger which shows the thousands of dollars in ships you burned money for. And then there's PU or Persistent Universe, where the real MMO is. Not sure how big that is but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't that big.
Basic starter packs for SC start from about $45 US and you can use this reliable stat tracker to keep an eye on all the promises they've broken.
starcitizentracker.github.io/

Scratch that, 180 million as of a week ago.

I looked up some Tachyon gameplay, it just seems like a standard Space Fighter game, couldn't see anything that really made it stand out. What makes it worth mentioning alongside Freespace?

Attached: spaceghost1.jpg (320x240, 10.49K)

Attached: puzzledcage.jpeg (474x586, 40.89K)

It has me in it. What more could you need?

Attached: Bruce Campbell.jpg (666x1000, 49.28K)

Is Galactic Civilizations 3 worth buying or should I just stick with 2?

Attached: antigravitydog.gif (300x168, 308.43K)

Don't forget that they're currently mired in a lawsuit with Crytek that has plenty of potential to go bad for them.
Interestingly, the lawsuit also confirmed a bunch of things that put the development and crowdfunding of the game in a different light; those trailers you saw? All done by Crytek and all the assets made for them were scrapped.
In fact, development proper didn't start until for some after the Kickstarter campaign concluded, meaning Croberts lied about SC being in development "for a year" on his own dime before the campaign.

Don't buy Stardock games.

Probably not. I am shit at 4x games, but Gal Civ 3 seems like less than 2 unless you get certain expansions, but even then some of the changes seem odd and I think the AI isn't quite as impressive. The bonuses you get from adjacent buildings, and the new way ship building works is kind of nice, but neither are enough to justify the new game. Resources are also added, I think, which are used for some buildings and better modules for your ships. I don't particularly care for them as much. Dealt with enough of that in other 4x games. They also like to nickle and dime you with DLC, though only the ones that look like proper expansions seem like they are worth shit.

That is interesting. I wonder if the resulting autistic salt party is what will trigger some big shit going down.

The TORtanic is going to be peanuts compared to the salt mountain SC will produce, there will be actual suicides over this.
That said, I really hope a bunch of the discovery process will be public or at least get leaked. The rumors and accusations surrounding the game are pretty insane after all, like Roberts paying himself and his wife 500k USD salaries each.

Attached: implying working for chris roberts.png (516x1434, 472.19K)

Why?

Hoo boy, i still remember that one time…

Attached: Star Citizen who will survive.jpg (948x342, 84.14K)

Attached: laugh.webm (576x432, 1.18M)

Is there an archive of this? Just out of curiosity.

Yearly or monthly?

Elite is at this point hot garbage and taking up disk space.

Excluding the X franchise(albion prelude was shite, played X3TC to death..), are there any other comfy spess games WORTH the time and/or effort?

Attached: turbofaggots.jpg (467x143, 10.28K)

Elite: Dangerous is pretty good.

Not even worth a pity (you).

I'm playing it right now and I'm having fun.

t. forumdad chimp who unironically wants more grind and zero payouts

That's like saying Euro Truck is shit because you don't make enough cash.

People play eurotruck to play eurotruck. I want to play elite to play elite, not fucking spacetruck.

Yes.

Go away Pecisk/Eagleboy.

Starsector
Evochron
3030 Deathwar Redux
Escape Velocity: Nova, some of the stories are cringy though, looking at you Ori'Hara.

You guys may enjoy Exosquad where in resources were sufficiently limited as to make every battle meaningful

fug I forgot my vid

There is also Templar: Battleforce. It's pretty good. And if you like it, there is Star Traders Frontiers set in the same universe.

would impregnate tbh

may be worth a play, would rather play a 2D platformer or FPS though

I like Rebels because of the pirate stuff and the mooks that spawn for you

I dont know man, multilayer RTS turns into a game of land grab and click per minute so they usually end within an hour or 2

you gotta prioritize and go FAST

once you have 8 frigs you should attack the next system immediately and then send whatever you have that can colonize, rinse, and repeat for at least the first 3 planets which should be scouted by the time you get there

christ

GalCiv3 runs like shit unlike the first 2, dont play it

I don't actually remember the fallout of the TORtanic because I never liked the idea and ignored it. I also didn't care for salt parties at the time; though, you are right that SC going tits up is going to end up with deaths.

I like Elite Dangerous. Space is comfy.

Eh. It can be fun but it's far from good. I reckon in 12 months it'll be in a state that's ready for release. Whatever you do, don't fuckin pay for it.

Will recommend Heinlein's Starship Troopers

Attached: desire_to_know_more.jpg (627x502, 940.08K)

Frontiers is comfy as fuck with just the right spice of autism

Attached: 20180226172420_1.jpg (1920x1080, 617.21K)

U.S.S. Failure

I applaud your autism, I should do that too.

Make sure to watch The Movie after you read the book to see the difference in how (((hollywood))) views Military Tradition and Meritocracy.

They all look like freaks! Hopefully they don't have a catastrophic accident in space.

I hope you're boat of niggers in on a voyage into the heart of the sun…

It looks like a decent game but I'm gonna wait for it to come out of early access.

Attached: 4X7IXq7GqySvYV2YwWNda1b70x-444x666.jpg (444x666, 28.22K)

Attached: culture.jpg (1024x576, 49.64K)

>not being a good friend

Attached: LotGH friends.jpg (450x338, 21.37K)

Attached: 17427da6492b0cb5077c594c3c62cfceb2803576f396794db5c6b6ca1dbc43a5.gif (255x143, 7.72K)

I just like how they blatantly steal ideas from other franchises and turn them into good games
They supposedly are making an entire autistic book/manual for the background of Templars and Traders for when Traders exits EA

Attached: 20160828202502_1.jpg (1600x900, 457.5K)

There are big 40K vibes out of their games, Star Traders reminds me of my Rogue Traders game night with my friends. Still, they are pretty good. Star Traders will maybe hold me until the next Starsector release.

Attached: 3181029295_b00c0a8f74.jpg (500x281, 46.79K)

I love it. There may yet be hope for vidya

lmao its a slave ship

Except for the hot space bitches, for any interesting anomalies, for any interesting anything.

Attached: seriously_bob.jpg (380x347, 19.56K)

At least Secondlife had "real" plots of land to sell and you could actually fly space ships

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10838844-victory-is-life-our-fourth-expansion,-coming-june-2018!

CRYPTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC!

Attached: KHAAAAAN.jpg (800x450, 29.42K)

Why? If anything the Gamma Quadrant should be cleansed.

Attached: dcbba7224c82c77ff40eb5150d4e272f396921d5b509bbcab308c8e377b64568.jpg (480x360, 6.94K)

It looks like a fucking PS2 game

Attached: 269514aca967dd421ac83a8d653c31ec935566bbd8ec5de912d75affac8e3ddd.png (680x400, 250.12K)

STO is old user.

Attached: sto.png (959x1073, 1.03M)

Seconding Evochron, Legacy is the latest one in the series. It blows my mind that a one man project has Elite Dangerous beat in every category aside from graphics and sound design.

figures

sinsofasolarempire.wikia.com/wiki/Vasari

Vasari OST is the best.

Attached: 1360508569278.jpg (800x800, 183.06K)

Attached: wait.jpg (200x150, 7.14K)

And graphics are the only thing that matters in this day and age.
Thank you for proving the publishers right.

Attached: Space suit Dave is being recognized.jpg (1920x1080, 264.62K)

look at your pic
now look at pic 1
now look at pic 2

they aren't even trying anymore.

Attached: kira.jpg (1000x431 64.48 KB, 72.9K)

and STO is also a shit game with zero end-game beyond running the same 2 PVE queue's for the 50,000th time. It's pay to win too but there's nothing to actually win at except those same 2 pve queue's because they destroyed PVP in favor of feeding whale's who will literally drop a thousand dollars at a time on lockbox's for their shitty ship of the week that's no better than any other ship in the game except for some meme special attack with special graphix.

early campaign stuff was good

it's worth consuming the single player content (for free) if your in dire need of mediocre star trek storyline. it's even fun in the beginning, until you hit max level, which happens quickly, and realize that loot drops are absolutely worthless, and anything of value is behind either a pay wall or a time wall that can be bypassed with money. even if you grind that, without spending money, finally get a decent T6 ship with decent equipment, etc, in the end you realize there is now nothing to do with this high quality shit, except re-grind the same thing you grinded to get there, except now for no reason.

it's also one of the few MMO's that somehow manage to remove the multiplayer. other players, even in your "fleet"/guild, are nothing but backdrop. there's no teamwork, because there are really no classes, there's DPS with blue/red/yellow colors.

this game exists for the sole purpose of extracting money from gullible star trek fans.

Very this, and that single player campaign is some good shit.

As for your first point Chris Foss, John Harris, John Berkey and so on didn't really do space babes. You're thinking of pulp, not classic science fiction. Secondly it's about aesthetics, due to the procedural nature of the game it must all be somewhat generic and not too specific. Outer Wilds in contrast does have interesting and unique things to find but it doesn't have the aesthetics.

Attached: TheMoonsOfJupiter.jpg (760x1093, 125.81K)

I honestly found no reason to grind by the time I hit LVL 50 and jsut played like 30 levels of campaign

NEW THREAD