What is it about Mario that has made him the most popular and influential video game character of all time...

What is it about Mario that has made him the most popular and influential video game character of all time? I'm not talking about the actual games, I'm talking about Mario himself.

From an outsider's perspective, Mario is a short, slightly out of shape man who sounds like he is in his mid 30's and speaks broken English with a thick Italian accent.

Why do kids love him so much?

Would anyone who grew up with Mario back in the NES/SNES days share their initial thoughts on Mario when they first started playing the games as a small kid?

I always thought the shape of the M on his hat was really cool. His red shirt and blue overalls always seemed really captivating. Really bold colors. With Luigi's trademark green, they always seemed to represent two sides of the same force of good, always in balance as long as both bros exist.

Other urls found in this thread:

jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=1974
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

good games

I don't get how he is so popular. He has like, no ass.

Christ.
I think he's an average character design who got popular because his games were good and Ninty knew how to sell and market

Also, it helped that they had a monopoly on the market since the crash.

Mario is the ur-video game character.

Everyone loves him because he's cute, his games are really fun, and he's just a well-designed character.

Simplicity.
and this

He doesn't get in the way and the games are good. A better character with a shit game wouldn't have succeeded. Also don't forget Mario first appeared on DK.

Was he average at conception or was he such a trend setter that he has become average?

average at conception, only thing special about him was that he was simple and fairly recognizable
What? How many characters do you see that were clearly inspired by Mario? He's unique, despite being average ironically enough

The only problem I have with him is how safe Nintendo is with how he's represented. He used to appear in all sorts of games either as a cameo or as the player's character doing weird jobs, but now he's mostly relegated to the same few spinoffs

There really is no definitive answer besides his games were really fucking good, user. He is the main character of a single game the defined multiple genres.

Platforming
Kart Racing
Several RPGs
Many solid sports games.
Party games up until the release of Mario Party were typically adult normie fare.

The guy is just the face of SOLID FUN VIDEO GAMES.

His appeal in my opinion comes from the fact that if you see that mustache you know almost by instinct that you're in for a good time at this point.

Mario is the face of fun in video games. If a stranger who's never played games before asks you "What are some fun games to play?" You're gonna tell him Mario games.

Cause the piece of shit plastic known as a console was shoved into every fucking home putting it on par with cable/radio/and vhs players so now inbred faggots who played them when they were kids who are 40 now and still buying the garbage console companies produce.

Sick of this shit.

Are you in the right place?

I know exactly where I am you fucking normal fag.

Less is more

Mario is a relatively simple character that is instantly recognizable. And this is reflected upon in his games. The games are simple and easy to pick up. So young children get accustomed to being able to immediately recognize Mario from a young age

mario is like atari, Everyone has heard of him.
people sometimes use Atari as a name for video games as general. same with mario.

4am threads need to return so we can contain faggots like you

Ahem

newfag you're not on cuckchan

I can 100% confirm this poster is European.
They are the only people who think 80’s gaming computers are good platforms.

Because Donkey Kong is still one of the best games around decades later.

Wimsey, simplicity, color theory, and good games.

It really is as simple as he is a character whose games redefined many things in the industry. The NES and Mario Bros saved vidya from the crash, and Mario 64 redefined platformers. His design is simple and iconic, ask almost anyone and they could name Mario and probably draw a decent picture of him, even if they dont play videogames

/thread
Mario is not really popular, it is just that the company shoves him in every place possible

Because the games were fun and easy. So even young kids along with their parents and grandparents could pick up and play the games.

Who are these posers and why are they so retarded?

It's all about the games. NES with Super Mario Bros was a stunning upgrade from Atari.

Basic design stuff makes him generic, yet being the "first" makes it iconic.
He follows basic design principles for being easily and instantly identifiable.
All of that makes something that, were you to see that blob of primary colours in rough approximation, you would instantly know "Mario"
Now, that's why he's easily recognisable, but the reason he's iconic is that because his games define genres. They are accessible to newbies (getting through the level is easy enough) while offering challenges to better gamers (collecting the hidden bonus items and unlocking alternative exits).
Mario was created to be a generic everyman character and appear in all different kinds of games, and it works. Combine that with a large secondary cast (that are actually all actors changing roles as needed) and a simple plot that revolves around the oldest story in the world (slay the dragon, save the girl), and you've got a franchise that can go pretty much everywhere.

i always preferred luigi

He's a funny negrito

few things helped, design, marketing, and how the nintendo was sold. When you plaster your icon across television, have him on your product, on your games, your games are bundled with the console, and the console sells over half a million units, it's gonna be a pretty each mascot to cultivate.

Whenever someone posts a neo-grecoroman statue, you can be sure they are gay.

because jewtendo managed to sell brand to a lot of impressionable young kids and keep up with the demand. It's kinda like pokemon, except pokemon weren't successful at keeping the audience they raked in.

mostly because his games are good, he's good character design wise, but not perfect

Has nothing to do with graphics, you faggot. He's popular simply because the game mechanics is considered good by most people. Mario himself is basically just a brand image.

Marketing and a sweet spot in exposure of him, unlike mickey who had weird exposure where he goes either over exposed or under exposed.

Mario is a Mary Sue like Batman.

I dont like your favorite kiddie character. Can you deal with it?

Italians are one of the few ways being white is okay.

But Italians are black.

He's popular because of Nintendo's post-crash dominance in Japan and North American and the fact that he's in a lot of their games, that's all. Throw in bright colours and a complete lack of personality to offend people and there you go.
He's actually never been that popular in Europe/The UK with fags who actually play games, only with the new psuedo-'geeks' who emulate what they've seen on Big Bang Theory (an American show).

Oh I don't give a shit. Was just calling out your retardedness.

Also that his games are good, but then that would inconvenience your passive agressive 'akshool gamrs' faggotry.

Decades of name recognition.

They get acquainted with him early on generally, his games tend to be high quality, he covers a wide variety of genres, and Charles Martinet's voice acting is charming as hell (as is the story of how he got cast as Mario). He's perfectly inoffensive without being totally boring.

Eh, he's generic and bland enough to fit him anywhere. I honestly don't give 2 shits about Faggio.

Here's a fun game to play: Name 5 non-Nintendo characters which are actually colorful.

Off the top of my head: Crash Bandicoot, Earthworm Jim, Sonic, Parappa the Rappa, Jazz Jackrabbit.

Hard mode: From the past decade

Mario 1 came with the NES

Almost Everything Indie.

Actually not really. Everything that comes to mind is very desaturated or just plain dirty and ugly (like the steamworld dig dude)

Rayman
Meat Boy
Pac-Man
Megaman
Leisure Suit Larry

And what does come to mind for you? Because most Indie games I've seen are rather colorful, face it, you've lost the game.

The only characters I can think of that fit the bill are Shantae, the owl fag from Owlboy and Shovel Knight. Everything else has either a so-deep desaturated palette or is just plan ugly.

by acting like a butthurt nintentoddler with no counter arguments? got that

He's a simple character, but not too simple and he has good games.

counter fucking arguments haha
to what?

to what was pointed in posts before they got deleted for what ever the fucking reason

Yo i'd watch starfire get creampied by tentacles,just saying.

Maybe because it was retarded? There is no "counter argument" to retardation. Only bullying.

holy shit this place suck more day by day

Just how big of a sad sack of shit does one have to be to "criticize"(bitch and moan) an inoffensive platform mascot?

Woah calm down there Nintendrone, if someone doesn't like Mario, it's their choice to badmouth him, if he's just a mascot, why get so riled up if someone dares insult them?

Jesus christ it's not about my "beloved character mascot getting badmouthed :(((". its about people being retards and making shitbrained fucking posts like the ones deleted.

How are they shitbrained? Care to explain to us?

I will repeat myself then,
mario is not "popular" he is just recognizable, well known brand
he is not cute
he is not smart design
he is not really original (a fucking plumber with a mustache)
I have never seen kids looking up to him or saying "wow I wanna be like mario when I grow up"
the only reason he is popular is because they keep shoving him in their games over and over again (pic related)

t. Mark

See

I see nothing wrong with that post, it makes sense when you think about it. Plus it's mostly his opinion.

I've hardly posted in this thread, stop trying.

Yeah, I agree. Was never about his "character". He's not someone you attach yourself to.

Not really. That user just comes across as butthurt.

Says the one with (10) posts in this thread, as well as you being the one calling others names.

(you)

Ah right. Because calling a retard "retard" means I'm in the wrong and buttmad.

He's not being retarded, you're just lashing out because you don't like his opinion.

leditor there

That's a decent point if you put it up against Sonic, maybe Mario just doesn't attract the autistic as much.

Opinions can be retarded.

Also what's the deal with the basketball american out of nowhere?

He needed to have some popularity in the first place to become a mascot, don't you think
you don't think

I looked it up, what the fuck am I looking at?

it is something of a snowball effect

They also did that with an SSX game

A cameo? They happen sometimes.

Do these games take place in the Metro Kingdom retroactively?

For what it's worth, NBA Street 1 and 2 were pretty fucking fun games

alleyway had mario in it?!

No since they're real world locations. The only retroactive Metro Kingdom areas are DK Arcade, DK 94, and DK Land

Excellent milestone games that changed video games for generations to come.

that's what you said last time and then you spammed the thread with that shit. No one outside of your goon squad cares, now fuck off.

he is not fucking popular, he is "recognizable" and the only reason why is because nintendo pushes him into every second game made
he doesnt have original design (a fucking fat plumber with a moustache)
he is not cute
I have never seen a kid look up to him or say "I wanna be like mario when I grow up"
pic related

Nothing really, he's simple. That's being said Mario games do have unique and vibrant designs, just Mario himself isn't that special and there's nothing wrong with that. He became popular because his games were fun. In contrast Sonic was conceived in a test tube to be way past cool for children - and as someone who grew up way past those console wars of the early 90s I'm gonna say he was never THAT special, his classic 2D games were good but not great and it's no wonder Sega has endlessly been trying to recapture those golden days failing until they hired a bunch of fans - because the "golden days" never really existed outside of the memories of those who grew up back then.

I bet that there is at least one person playing each one of these games somewhere right now.

Then you must be underage or out of touch.

Well I'm thinking of playing Wario World right now.

His gameplay is a jack of all trades. He can shoot fire, his gameplay allows variety with his power ups, you can run in a speedy manner while platforming and basically almost everything you'd see in other platform games. Being a jack of all trades allows massive variety in gameplay which is a very good game design that's essential if you want to make it fun in the long run. While other platformers built off of one thing (shooting or speedy platforming) that will have a gamer latch onto as a favorite, Mario would at least have something for a gamer. As for kids, I'm not really sure. I'm guessing it's because they're more likely to follow games media which are all over Mario for some reason.

yeah because kids run around and pretend to be plumbers all the time. Granted, you have few autistic retards even at a young age but they are minority.
Fact is, nintendo is stuck with their cringy mascot until he will stop making money, because people know him and associate him with the company, so whenever they want to make a new game they have to slap mario as a main character on it, otherwise it would be huge advertisement risk for them.

Sega wanted a game mechanic that would rival or at least make a name on its own without Nintendo. The speedy platforming game mechanic was a priority and they wanted to find the design that would compliment it. Sonic was almost Theodore Roosevelt, a rabbit and an armadillo, respectively becoming Eggman, Ristar and Mighty eventually) The edgy 90's attitude was just from the American branch's marketing. And honestly Sonic did the 90's attitude thing much better than other video game characters. Because his base character design was supposed to be not only American in attitude but as a homage to early inkblot American cartoons like Felix the Cat. When Sonic does attitude it's not trying to catch onto the latest 90's fad, it was to show off the classic American can-do confident attitude. Hence why in the game he rarely does anything dated and his attitude mostly came from impatience and confidence from the animation in the opening screen instead of just making smug "I'm cooler than you" faces like other Sonic clones.

Literally designed by committee.

It helps when said committee isn't run by retarded suits.

Sonic was solely designed by Naoto Oshima. If how the American branch chose to market him counts as "designed by committee", then Mario is also designed by committee in how Nintendo at large marketed him.

Mario is a meme, because Sega was irrelevant outside of S. America and Europe, so he was the face of video games for an entire console generation right when the market shifted heavily towards marketing to kids. So a whole generation of assholes grew up with Mario as the face of videogames.

It just snowballed from there, helped by the fact that Nintendo hasn't completely gone down the shitter the way Sega or Atari did - so they keep pushing him with what are, on average, at least decent games.

that's your problem. Mario is great because of the games. If anything his art design as an Italian plumber is more symbolic of Nintendo's general game-design philosophy over the years that focused on gameplay over superficial aesthetics. If anything the image has just become synonymous. Modern dev's who whore for graphics can't optimize a game so now they typical AAA is 50 GB+. Whereas Nintendo's latest games are still under 6 GB in total and way more fun.

And a majority of those games are fun

Nigger everything's designed by committee. It's why games have art teams and not just a sole artist. Even if it's just a sole artist they have to answer to project leads, studio presidents, outside investors(god forbid). Nothing you like in vidya was created in a vacuum.

There are one-man game devs, you know.

Well op, I bought Odissey for me to play because i always liked Mario. I finished the game and went on with my life… Could you imagine my surprise when months later I see my 3yo kid discovered my switch, that i left recharging because i forgot, the switch updated itself and i see my kid playing on assist mode all happy and all, it's been two months and he still playing it… I showed him other games, gaming on my Master PC, but he prefers to play Mario Odissey! So I really don't know, why Mario is so captivating but it IS, pretty sure he never saw any sort off advertisement since he mostly watches netflix, and i never actually showed him the game…This is pretty interesting

Batman had the inheritance and vengeful autism to train himself and study to the pinnacle of human perfection just to scare the out of degenerates or beat it out. He can't even live life like a normal human being anymore and his own businessman identity has become a facade that keeps him afloat.

Mario felt like the average joe six-pack that just pulled up his shorts and saved the day because it had to be done, having only the ability to run and jump. His special powers came from magic items that anyone could use. As a kid, it made me feel like I was capable of being a hero if I just tried hard and never gave up.

That's probably why I love Wario so much as an adult, he's what Mario would be if the world he lived in wasn't magical and cute. He comes from a greedy, dirty world with no princess to save, just like the real world. He's takes what he wants because he can and holds onto it because no one can take it from him.

but Wario comes form the same world. Wario is Jewish.

Most of them are fucking losers.

Name 3 games made by a solo dev worth playing. Pro Tip: You can't

If he's from the same world, then he definitely lives in the greediest, dirtiest part.
Nah, jews tend to make their money by swindling others out of theirs. At worst, he's a thief.

Cave Story, Touhou, Spelunky

implying thievery is not swindling others out of their money. I guess you might be right jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=1974

Elona, La Mulana, Audiosurf
Devil Daggers, Siralim 1&2, Cash_Out

Remember in Mario Lore that gateway to the Mario world is somewhere in the Brooklyn sewers

But that is what makes Mario so popular and influential.
He is the guy who
And probably a million other things.
While the design helps, the primary reason for Mario's status as gaming icon is because of the historical shit he had a hand in.

From the waist down (;

Well, you can't ruin his character because he has no character to ruin. He's not a person, he's whatever the game he's in needs him to be.

While lazy as fuck it helped.

Fat plumber fetish.

If you are braindead soyboy riding high on nostalgia

nah

Yeah actually, you have to have a minset of or be a child to enjoy them

nah

Oh sorry I thought I was talking to a human being instead of a fucking nintendrone

nintendrone, says the fuckwit.

Top lel

Act retarded, get called retarded, retard.

Soy comes in more than one flavor, faggot. Take your console wars faggotry back to cuckchan.

Yeah he is a pure nintendrone

Fuck off

You're sure showing me. Tell me more about how people who like videogames are gay please.

Marketing

Sure you got soyboys in every fandom, it is just that it's most obvious with nintendo as their company is primarily focused on children

Nice projecting

sure. im the one projecting.

Where the fuck is the Peach porn

This place is fucking dead. Thanks Mark.

One occasion he did.

Apparently everyone deleted it to make room for brainlet wojacks and pictures of faggots chimping out over the switch.

The point was that open mouth dipshits aren't exclusive to any system and that they aren't proof of anything other than being soyboys who chimp out at literally anything.

What a fucking retard

So salty and buttmad.

Yes you are

The same fucking Shrek ported into Valve's SDK?

He drinks wine and eats hotdogs, myth debunked, gygaboo

Wario Land: Shake it?

Wario Land 4.

Also Wario eats bacon, so he's pretty much alienated any Jewish or Islamic following.

He sure taught him a lesson, jailbaits for everyone.

I literally explained the fucking point he was making, you fucking mongoloid. What are you asshurt about?

Can dish it out but can't take it back? Bitch.

Last time this sort of thing happened, the thread was purge of everyone except for the one fag whining about soyjack.

If that happens I'll just buy a VPN just to cuck the mod who dishes out the bans. I've wanted one for some time and it will be the final excuse I need.

I can't believe they let Mario Party go on for so long.

1. He's been around for decades as the title mascot of Nintendo.
2. Nintendo always took care to make Mario games fun, polished and accessible to a wide range of players so his appearance is synonymous with quality and fun.
3. His design originated out of technical limitations but was very well thought-out regardless.
4. Red, white and blue like his shirt, gloves and overalls are strong colors ideal for a hero the kids would want to play as. It also stands out against most backgrounds.
5. Overalls signify youth and playing around as well as his hat. Gloves signify cartoonish shenanigans. Big boots signify you can stomp on things. Big head and small body make it easy to see him at any resolution. M helps kids remember his name.
6. His voice is silly and high-pitched, like a friendly cartoon character.
7. His attitude of unwavering optimism and selfless bravery is fun to witness and emphasizes that the games are about fun.
8. He doesn't talk much which makes it easier to identify as him during gameplay. This combined with his appearance makes him cute. Sonic Team could learn a thing or two from this.
9. His vague Italian mannerisms are cute and funny because it's an innocent impression we've all seen or done at one time or another. If Mario was just Raymond or Nick it wouldn't be as cute or memorable.
10. He doesn't have much of a personality or complex inner life in the games but that means whatever happens in the game is for YOU to react to, not him.
11. His characterization of a virtuous if occasionally foolish and stubborn hero in the cartoons is an equally-appealing one; his creativity and heroism is still fun to watch. He shines when interacting to other characters.
12. Mario, simple and anyone can say it in almost any language.

13. For all his freaky flea-like jumping ability, he's portrayed as a normal guy who just wants to save the day and depends on kind strangers to help him. A much more heartwarming tale than if he was always powerful.

HEY YOU! GET OFFA MY CLOUD!

That’s like bringing up the CD-I games and the Saturday morning cartoons as an arguement for Link speaking.
Captain Lou would have been a better example.

I bet Mark drinks wine and eats hotdogs

fun

How do you explain the people pronouncing his name such as: Merio or Mayro?

He does talk on interviews or Game Gallery

Does he also gets out of his house and exercise?

how do you explain you know exactly what they're talking about regardless of how they say it?

opportunism, like every single icon in corporate history
whoever does it first sets the flag, from then on it is just investment which penetrates thanks to recognition/exposure momentum.

Are you retarded?

Tell me what the fuck did I miss?

Is like they want to be a guy with a dead end job.

Attached: Not Movieblob.jpg (1280x720, 105.8K)