Sony just copyrighted a new 'Playstation backwards compatibility' patent

>gametransfers.com/sony-registers-backward-compatibility/

So whats your bets, PS4 games on PS5 or PS3 games running on PS4? They have been rumours of playstation now going away recently and just yesterday they tried to brute force it by adding it to every PS4's dashboard.

My guess is its taken years but they can finally -like ps1 discs on ps3- emulate the ps3 so the ps4 can run games off disc relatively bug free. I think it will be their next "and heres how WE treat preowned games" middle finger to microsoft with a "and now ALL of our last gen games work, not just some like OTHER consoles".

Also interesting Square Enix did an interview talking about Yoko Taro's next game and when talking about nier said "something special is happening around the 10th anniversary we can make use of" and for reference nier on ps3 has no digital version but SE reprinted the disc version last year to many scalper tears.

Either way its nice to see the 'leave your old discs behind' meme might be dying as it fucking should either way.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/tSuJD
archive.is/Wmmd9
freepatentsonline.com/9892024.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

OP, you can't copyright a patent.

Whatever it is, we can safely say that it's not PS3 no games on PS4.

What is this shitty blog?
What kind of source is this and why sould I believe you when Sony has made it clear you'll either have to pay for your PS2 games or stream your PS3 ones?

If it's proper BC, toss the disc in, play the game and maybe download a thing at the very worst, I'll be happy.

I would like it to be but theres no PS3 game market. That gen was too many games over too many years in too large printing runs. It would only be at cost and right now they are on top so why bother?

Of course contrary to that PS Now is apparently doing very badly like all game streaming services and they stopped putting digital ps2 and ps3 games up on there and psn. It might not sell games but backwards compatability can sell hardware and be the only big snub left for xbox since the last xbox diehard fanboys say thats its big saving grace.

That meme doesn’t really apply anymore, seeing as how the PS3 ended up having great games while the Xbox 360 and Wii ended up being shovelware machines.

don't take it from him, it's all he has.

AC and Demon Souls
That's it

Folklore, Valkyria Chronicles NIer and MGS4 shouldn't die on it.

Granted VC got out of ps3 hell but still.

how to identify a shitter in just one post

PS4 has even less games than the PS3

What if they're making a new handheld?

What's next?
White Knight Chronicles
Christ

Lost Planet is far superior

Resonance of Fate and Ukiyo No Shishi and everything said.

This too, EX Troopers was amazing.

new Ratchets were great.

They're not. They killed off their handheld division, remember?

twisted metal ps3 had a shit story but the gameplay was top tier

They just restructured their entire playstation division to operate better since its covering the catastrophic trash fire of sony pictures.

There's no way there isn't a evil catch to this.
The PS4/PRO is no where near good enough to accurately emulate the PS3.
And I REALLY fucking doubt now despite the fact the PS4 does have the capacity to read and recognize PS1/2 games I doubt they're going to waste time patching it in.

tokyo jungle, twisted metal, el shaddai, noby noby boy, there's so many great games.

sony should become a technology and games company tbh, their film and music divs are absolute disasters.

are you basing your knowledge off of RPCS3 or something

No I'm basing it off the fact that they "allegedly" threw out their documentation.

where did you hear that?

It was around that time that sony exec made a complete ass out of himself at the WipeOUT meetup.

I really, REALLY don't want it to be Playstation 5.
E3 on which Playstation 5 will be announced will be the worst E3.

They could just make the PS5's gimmick "its plays everything". Remember all modern ip's stop numbering at 4. I would not be surprised to see the PS4's replacement be a box that plays all 4 previous formats and is just called 'the playstation'. Without another huge graphic upgrade and some other gimmick what else do they sell it on when 'more power' only shifted like 10% ps4 pros comapred to base ps4s.

Uh, I doubt it.

PC games on PC or PC? Holy fuck I am excited!

I'm not going to lie, as shitty of a move as that would be for Sony and everyone who owns a PS4 already, I would buy that. Playstation altogether has an amazing lineup.

OH GOD
I would laugh so fucking hard as phil spencer just seethes.

Yeah, but they can't do that - otherwise we'll never get the Playstation 9.

No they bring back the numbering later for nostalgia. First we need Playstation: Annihilation, Playstation: Retribution and Playstation: Apocalypse first.

They'll announce yet another revision of the PS4 and every single person on this thread will buy it.

Joke's on you, I'm a poorfag. I won't even be able to afford the PS4.725!

Sony also bans people for having logins that Sony deems (((offensive))): archive.is/tSuJD
Never give money to Sony.

Naming might as well be something like:
Playstation Plus
Playstation Omega
Playstation Universe
Playstation Z
Playstation Multi
Playstation Ultimate
Playstation Mega
Playstation XL
Playstation Galaxy

Oh, I get it. Kind of like how Intel went from the relatively simple 286, 386, 486 designation to the Pentium brand… I II III - then off the rails with Celeron and Xeon and Itanium and shit before bringing it back with a seemingly simple i3, i5, i7, i9 designation - but which were actually even more confusing to the average consumer because they kept getting updated with new architectures like Sandy bridge, Ivy Bridge, Broadwell, Skylake.

Makes perfect sense. Why doesn't every company market their products so intelligently?

Playstation: Gaiden

PlayStation Warden

Not gonna lie, that's actually a neat idea. Still, each of the consoles had different chipsets and implementations which means that this console is going to be expensive as fuck if they actually plan on including all of these in one system on top of the new chipset for the lastest games.

Nice

Playstation FULL
Get the FULL experience

I had forgotten how horrible it was when Sony confirmed that they didn't include backwards compatibility. "An often requested but rarely used feature".

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there was an overwhelming amount of disappointment when they took it out of the PS3. It's like Sony hates money.

Didn't that guy get fired after saying that?

Maybe that was the case because Xbox had shit for games (after a while they even patched that shit out), and not everybody held onto their ps1 games around the PS3 era. You don't fucking know how often people played ps1 games on ps2. Playstation owners fucking love the PS2 era, as evidenced by the sales figures for the re-releases of classic ps2 games.

I know he doesn't work there anymore, but it was never said if he was fired or 'convinced' to leave the company.

It was a lot of Sony's upper management that were coming out and shitting all over the idea of BC, mocking older games for having "bad graphics" and "primitive gameplay". Basically acting like high-school bitches, "Ew, gross - old games! As if!".

But, that was also at a time when they thought they could still make PSNow work. Shortly afterwards (or was it shortly before?) they started removing the service from TVs, the Vita, and other devices in order to focus exclusively on the PC and PS4 application. Then I literally never heard another word on the PC version of the app - so I can only assume it bombed even worse than the TV app.

How do you copyright a fucking patent you sperg?

Nobody wants to buy older games goy
Be sure to buy all the Remasters/Remakes and to pay for those PS2 and PS3 games via digital downloads and streaming.
archive.is/Wmmd9

Kikery of the second highest echelon. The constant "remastering" is the highest peak. It's amazing how abysmal those ports are btw. I tried the Now service and was immensely disappointed. Between the constant interruptions and audio distortions, the games lack DLC compatibility. For any Bethshit game, this completely defeats the purpose of playing them.

So they ARE fast!

How else can they follow their rainbow?

But the N. Sane Trilogy was garbage though. They completely fucked up the collision boxes so that you would literally stick a landing, and then get pulled off to the side because the collision box is a fucking pillshape despite the character having flat planar feet.

Yeah, you can practice and adjust to the new system - git gud - but you'll never get away from cheap deaths due to shit design, and at least for me that kills any motivation to even bother. Especially when I have perfectly functional originals sitting on my bookshelf.

Literally the only thing that the N. Sane Trilogy added was a graphical upgrade. Everything else is either the same, or a downgrade (like being able to infinitely repeat bonus stages until you beat them).

Well, I got Nier for the 360 so that doesn't help me…

On the other hand, I can play all my old ps3 games without having to worry about killing my fat.

hyperbole for a minor issue like that is pretty funny. it's a downgrade, and a minor annoyance that makes some parts of the game more frustrating then it should be, but it's far from the end of the world.

How in the fuck is this even patentable?

Nobody sued them/Patent office likes them

This is Siege general redditor tier

They've held a patent on PS2 game emulation on the PS3 for a very long time. Doesn't garantee they will do anything with it. The closest we got was the ability to buy "PS2 Classics" to play. I don't want to buy another copy of War of the Monsters, I just want to put it in and play. So I got a first gen BC PS3 off eBay.

Best post. Sony is evil and I hope they die, but I would buy one of these on day one

I don't get why anons are shitting their pants over this idea. It already exists, under the name "Playstation 2".

What if it’s backward compatibility to vita and PSP games but not PS3?

You can't play monkey hero on a ps2 though

Any special reason the backwards compatibility doesn't work for it?

No idea, I just happen to know it completely breaks if you try and play it on a ps2.
Sound effects don't work
Music doesn't start
Hitboxes don't load
Items that are supposed to be in the game just don't exist.
In addition IIRC you can only play it on an original playstation, all emulators have the same issues with it, and even the psOne remodel doesn't play it right apparently.

does CELL cpu architecture ring any bells? without either a.) dedicated hardware or b.) instruction set emulator magic + beefy hardware, it ain't happening.

I don't know about Monkey Hero, but certain functions of the PS1 were stripped out of the PS2 to save on costs, and the games become glitchy as a result. For an example, 8 minutes in vid related shows off a game that won't work on a normal PS2 because it utilizes a high rez mode that sony removed from the PS2.

cell isn't some magical anomaly, it's well documented and sony being on the creation team has complete knowledge of how it works. If PCs can emulate through RPCS3, however poorly, it can be handled excellently on the PS4.

RPCS3 can already emulate quite a few games at playable speeds. The PS4 obviously isn't up to the task, but by the time the PS5 comes out it'll certainly be feasible.

They could cheat like MS does, and just recompile the binaries.

that dude has the widest mouth I've seen outside of niggers

He's a big guy 'n shieeeeeeeet

That's bizarre. I do recall hearing and encountering a few small issues with BC, like in Spyro 2's final boss, the opera singer's voice doesn't play in the music, but nothing to the level of this. That's unfortunate. emulators win again.

Here's my stupid fucking theory. PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4 as well as having enough horsepower to emulate PS3 and earlier. Which should be fairly easy. The power gap between PS3 and 4 is huge(EG: 1GB Ram vs 8GB) and I'm sure the difference between PS3 and 5 will be astronomical. If they create emulation with a new and powerful machine to back it up I could see that being good and successful.

They'll call it Playstation V and release it with the true, 100% completed MGSV as a launch title

Actually emulators still lose. Monkey hero doesn't emulate properly on anything, also, your spyro 2 disk might be messed up, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a separately compressed track from the rest of the music.

I'd have been less convinced before, but the big performance boost of the most recent gen of graphics cards gives it a bit of hope. Now, if only cryptocucks would stop inflating the market prices…

even with stable emulation though, there will probably still be a ton of errors with texture drawing, shaders, audio, and hopefully not scripting.

would this allow you to execute comparable instructions on physically different hardware?

after all, processors are essentially just huge collections of logic gates, correctly route the signal from the expected register and you should be good to go.

Why no forward compatblily

I'm guessing Trying to imitate current gen nonstandard hardware is fucking hard to do with last generation hardware for 200, Alex.
Though I guess it could stand to criticism why there's no basic Stream your new games to your old system in case you have multiple rooms and a decent home network feature in most systems.

My guess is that is a disc less machine that plays all games from the sony library via download. Basically sony's steam. It will be great for those who don't want a physical copy of Bloodborne or don't want a machine that reads old ps1 and ps2 discs when they can just download new copies for 30 bucks or so.

Report the shills.
It is never good to pay for re-releases of games.

That's retarded considering most ps1/ps2 games aren't 30 bucks, and the ones that are are most likely NOT to be on the service.

Sony should just sell of those divisions and become a full fledged gaming company. They should invest in development of games.

I don't understand it as well, I mean they already sell their own movies on their console and people pay for them
Why would they want another movie division that's mediocre and pay theaters is beyond my comprehension.
I mean, just how how much the Last of Us and Uncharted 4 sold.

Those movies sold better than their own box office.

El Shaddai was a multiplat. In fact, it might have been on Xbox first.

they do, but they should do it more. 20 times more.

that's OK.

I would buy it just to fucking save space.

Aren't games and displays some of the only things they manage to actually sell well? I believe at a time they also had Music players that sold decently but that's mostly died what with android becoming so ubiquitous.

phones too probably, I think their phones are very successful domestically. Pretty much all their professional equipment is still among the best you can get. Sony still has some insane R&D teams.

Not really the PS3 is close to having negative games at this rate.

My god I hope that's bait.

The PS3 was an absolute shitpile, and that's someone who should be biased in favour of it.

This has to be bait.

c'mon fam, do your own research.

Gonna have to call bullshit on that a little. While the combat system is unique, the story was dog shit. Also, it gameplay just gets broken at higher levels and becomes repetitive. Using the tetris hex grid style of making a path to get to areas was tedious. Enjoyed it for what it was but hardly at the level of must have or masterpeice.

The PS4 likely would not be able to emulate the PS3 properly, at least not all games. I could however see a PS5 with a Ryzen/Vega APU having enough cores/threads/clock speed to emulate the PS3 and PS4.

Nice try user
The PS3 was the perfect console totally not stifled by 360 parity, it had no shovelware and it totally didn't just end up having a handful of mediocre exclusive titles that can't even begin to rival the ones on the PS2, Xbox or even the Dreamcast in both quality and quantity.

It also totally won the gen despite having a shitton of inferior multiplats due to low quality Xbox 360 ports

Motherfucker,

I work for Sony Corporate Australia and I can tell you that the PS3 was an absolute marketing, engineering and development shitshow… Now I'm speaking exclusively about the Australian market and you may be right on a global one- my division hasn't got those in-house figures but from our end we got absolutely assfucked by the 360, to the point where our higher ups and PR execs bought them and openly praised them- I bought one too. We got absolutely massacred by Microsoft here.

I should be like any other Sonigger and shout down any decent, but believe me when I say that's not how shit went down here.

See:

And no- fuck you. You don't know better than me.

I'm agreeing with you you dumb fucking aussie.

You know sarcasm through text doesn't work the same in your head as when someone else reads it on a screen, right?

yeah, I won't trust a Chinese when talking about Japanese products.

It does when you use blatant exaggeration and back it up with a series of obviously-false statements.

I spent 4 years working on the PS3 PR shit here, and out of all of the multitudes of suggestions, art concepts and abuse from fuckwits who never even picked up a game before the ONLY one of my ideas for marketing that absolute shitheap was this.

4 years. And the only one of my concepts that got accepted was a shitty idea I had while drunk at a mate's BBQ.

Fuck my fucking life.

Or maybe you're just that dumb

Every Sony product is made in China.

What am I looking at user?
I'm honestly intrigued.
was the BBQ nice?

It was supposed to be the Cross, Circle, Square and Triangle in the womb- "symbolising" the birth of a new generation of HD entertainment. It was a half-hearted attempt while I was drinking Johnnie Walker at a mate's place (Who used to be in PR too, but got the fuck out before the heads started to roll) where I made a joke about this being SCA's new money baby, and then I started getting "philosophical drunk" and made analogies to this being a literal baby brought into the world for everyone to fawn over etc… Not even close to my proudest moments but earned me a decent bit of coin. It's more frustration over all my other actually "good" idea being pissed over.

If you fags want, I can have a dig through my older portfolio and find some of my "good" pitches I worked on and scan them in so you can call me a faggot over them or maybe you might even like them.

It might heal some old wounds.

I was about to ask and saw this post, sure.

Is this source even legitimate? A ps5 will most likely be released in 2020

Good old Ausland
I'd like that

Apparently it is if this patent site is legit.
freepatentsonline.com/9892024.html

Really?

I'm not going to lie, I'm actually surprised that there's actual enthusiasm…

It's 1641 in the arvo here, and when I'm finished and home it'll be about 1800 or so, so hopefully you'll find something to argue about until I can scan all my abandoned pitches.

I'll be asleep by then unfortunately

Why, user.

Those aren't dubs

but those certainly are

Nah, but guess who decided to stop by because he saw this post on the front page?

damn nice.

One could hope it's ps3 games on ps4. Would make it worthwhile to own those 4 games it had.

If they were smart they'd take PS4 backwards compatibility all the way back to the PS2. But knowing how life it, it's probably just a plan for the PS5 to play PS4 games out of the box or whatever they're gonna call the son of a bitch.

NEW TECH DEMO FEATURING FAKE GAMEPLAY NOT RENDERED IN REAL TIME!

*Vinyl
Nice image, though

I would hope that this would mean FULL backwards compatibility, hardware emulation going all the way back to the PSX.

I'd honestly nut over that because I'm a huge retrofag.

When will they make system that's backwards compatible with the Playstation 0?

Not going to happen. Not only would it be expensive as fuck, there is no way they are going to tool up to produce a buttload of chips from decades ago, and even if they did packing that much hardware into one box would be retarded. They could save space by going the FPGA route and coming up with "hardware simulation" instead maybe but again cost would be through the roof. The whole reason the PS4 succeeded this generation was because they undercut the Xbone by $100 while also having better hardware under the hood. Kinect should have been killed in the crib, not forced into the next generation, it will go down as their biggest mistake, even worse than RROD.

Software emulation is the only way to ensure future hardware can be backwards compatible without making the system cost $1000.

Why would it be expensive to produce long outdated chips?

Because the infrastructure to produce it is also all but gone.

It can't be that hard to get some chink factory to make them as long as they have the schematics.

Playstation L33t

They counterfeit by a combination of human hands and jury rigged equipment and it still wouldn't be saving you any money because you can have them produce newer hardware at roughly the same cost. That's assuming you even have the "schematics" anymore, chances are good you only have worthless bits and pieces leftover from what was thrown out and scrapped you're better off not even bothering.

Worst case
Best case
I guess it could mean something, but I doubt it's going to mean something that good.

add PC gaems (sold via PSN of course)

? there is easy as fuck cfw for ps3 since december

I hope you're still scanning those user.

I know. I just don't want to hack it yet, so I'll still have access to the multiplayer I never use.

You faggots know they're going to name it Play5tation

5GamesStation

Woah, woah, woah, hey.
It added time trials, too.

YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A PATENT, WOULD YOU?

user PLEASE

Enough Europa Universalis, show us the damn portfolio.

What if you could patent the act of copyrighting itself so copyrightfags couldn't ruin things anymore?

If they came out with a version of the PS4 that played PS3 games I would definitely buy one seeing as how my PS3 is dead. It's either that or just go pick up a slim.

I wish my PS3 never died so I could play that game again.

What if you could post a cuckchanner just by the images they post?
>>>/cuckchan/

The fact that people are putting so much focus on backward compatibility is getting sad now. Not because it's a bad thing on its own, but because they know they can't put out the same quality anymore.
Ho boy, I sure do want to play those old games I already played years ago again, but this time on a new fancy and expansive box that's supposed to be more powerful.
Same goes for "HD collections" or remakes. You remember those nice old games you used to have fun with, right? Now you can buy them again and play them on your new shitbox! Consoles fucking depress me.

What's even more ridiculous is that consumers enable this and would rather buy the same thing time and again over the course of the years instead of telling these companies to fuck off and make new games.

nah
they're not doing that because it would create competition for all the rereleases