There's something that bothers me, everyone tries to make the biggest most detailed game ever, with 4k models and shit...

there's something that bothers me, everyone tries to make the biggest most detailed game ever, with 4k models and shit, but don't humans have imagination?, like, can't we read a fucking novel and imagine more shit than the most detailed game?

What happened to filling the gaps in our imagination?

Wasn't the first silent hill more scary even today than modern games simply because is so low resolution?
Wouldn't it make more sense to stop the graphics whore arms race and focus on story, AI, music, quality content?
I was playing some older text games and they're like the oposite end of modern AAA garbage and they felt more detailed somehow.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamspy.com/app/413150
archive.is/8dTwG
zuggsoft.com/page.php?file=zmud/zmudinfo.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Play tomato and let your imagination run wild.

Humans also have greed and desire to exploit the market to sell more GPUs, "PRO" version of consoles and new 4x monitors.

That's not necessarily true, OP. How many games have come out in the last few years which have been disgusting pixel indie shit?
In any case, I do see what you mean when it comes to AAA games. I can't even count on both hands how many friends say they don't want to play older games because the graphics are "outdated". It's really pathetic, but that's what the console game industry has birthed. They wanted to make it seem like buying the next generation console is a good idea by upping the graphics and calling that "progress" whether or not the gameplay has actually progressed in depth/enjoyability/etc.
If the console industry hadn't been infected in 2007, then it's most likely that the PC'd be getting the best games ever. Remember that PC games stopped being great around the mid 2000's. That said, there are some diamonds in the rough, but you'll be hard pressed to find them.

I've been wondering something similar for a while too OP.
With how long it takes to make a game nowadays due to the increased complexity in assets, why can't a developer make something deliberately stunted in that department and on a cut budget just to cram as much shit as they possibly can into it? Fuck it, just think of the possiblities:

That shit isn't gonna make any fucking money, goyim.

literally sold better than your AAA trash.

What bothers me is cuckchan refugees shittin up the catalogue with their retarded (1) & done template threads with Wojak OPs

They kinda did that with Nioh and some people complained that it takes too long to finish the story and it outstays its welcome.
And it has just as much content outside of story if not more, it's one of the hugest game in the past decade, if not all time.

Nah my dude, shit's not comparable

It’s a great game for requiring imagination because you have to imagine the entire thing.

Are you one of the retards who try to play it on toaster that is below requirements?
Buy console.

Not even close. The game is just broken and they’re not going to patch it. Plenty of people say it’s a shit port.
Are you retarded?

They made it in a year or something using some chinks who work for food. Most of the budget went into advertising. As always.

Post your specs and OS then? Because I bet it's either some AMD trash or Win8/10 or both.
Either way you can't into computers so buy console.

minecraft has outsold most videogames ever made.

Most of the consumer base only cares about pretty shiny colors on the screen, the rest are the generic avant-garde game wanting hipsters that buy into pixelshit.
Then, the remaining less than 5% of games players are catered to by small, niche studios that disregard mainstream standards, until they inevitably grow, sell out, and cuck themselves to death.

same thing is still happening with the movie industry. More computer generated graphics, more special effects!
It's a lot easier to dazzle a person with fancy 'next-gen' visuals than laying down extra time to refine some other part of the film making process that would probably go unnoticed by the viewer. I think things have been getting a little too expensive to shoot for quality over quantity.

I notice you’re still telling people to buy a console. Do you think this is reddit or something?

BUY THE FUCKING CONSOLE GOYIM

Minecraft is unique, genre-forming game, so yeah it did.
My point stands - you can't compare AAA sales with regular indie game sales.

Because people who are too brain dead to make game run on PC are THE target demographic for consoles.
What is your os? Why didn't you mention you have win7? Because you don't? Or maybe you don't know what are drivers and how to update them?
You are fucking monkey.

steamspy.com/app/413150

stardew valley has outsold a lot of AAA games.

I really like how you think you’ve solved my problem without knowing a goddamn thing about what it is. Particularly after reading (read: you didn’t read) the post where I said “no matter what I do or what patches or fixes I use.” Become literate in English and then go back to reddit.

Wasn't there someone who had a problem with the game because of an uneven amount of ram before?

Which ones?
What AAA games in recent years sold under 3.6 mills?

You are so fucking retarded it's funny. How do you manage to turn computer on?

Sick get. And a good post, no less. Image ain't bad either.

The problem, as I see it, is that there are two extremes and little room for a comfy middleground. Either your game looks like complete indie pixelshit because that is a selling point, in a way. It makes it appear as if it were made by a smaller team of more passionate devs who saw their project through, even though they don't have the resources of a big publisher, so it appears to have value, even if the devs were literally just lazy hipster faggots who couldn't be bothered to do better because they were making their game look like shit on purpose. Big publishers might even scoop up these games specifically because they know they can sell it on the quirk factor.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, shit needs to be as flashy as possible, to the point that they are now making games that need upgraded consoles to run at their best, because investors are dumb, tech-illiterate faggots who are impressed purely by big numbers, shiny graphics, and the promise of huge sales. If a game can't impress some dumb motherfucker who doesn't know anything about games in the first place, then they can't get the budget they need to blow 100 mil on marketing and advertising, which they need to hype the game hard enough that the day 1 sales recoup enough of their investment until they can roll out the DLC and lootboxes. Making a game that is reasonably stylized, that runs smoothly and never stutters or drops below 60fps won't impress these dumb fucks. That doesn't mean anything to them, but a game that's just a hair more realistic and detailed than the game they showed last year, with all kinds of shiny metals and bloom lighting, will make them think that it looks good, so it must be good, which means it will make money.

I don't think being a small studio means the game has to look like shit.

Even a single guy can make an appealing game, like cave story or Touhou or kontak earlier games.

How many consoles do you own? Do you buy a new one every time it tells you to do a software update?

Yeah, I’ve tried taking it back down to 6, 8, 16, and 24. Nothing works.

I hate developers

No?
It was scary because of its sound design and good atmosphere, monster design and level design. SH3 managed to be scarier than 1 and it really good graphics that look good even today.

there's something that bothers me, newfags tries to make the biggest most shittiest threads ever, with template threads and shit, but don't newfags have common sense?, like, can't they fucking lurk for thousands of years and make more good threads than the most newfag?

You don't quite understand what AAA game is.
Fighting is a niche genre, its budgets even for high profile games as those you mentioned are nowhere near shit like battlefront or nutumb raider.
Well maybe MVCI, but those are mostly licenses, that still don;t have wolverine or xmen in it.
And cuckie bee's game was kickstarted so it's in another category entirely.

Zero.
Because I can into computers.

I can only recommend you reading some literature and installing real os on your piece of shit. Because you're obviously running some botnet instead of pristine pirated w7 with only a handful manual updates.
And maybe better processor, that thing is kinda weak for that gpu.
Or buy console if you're too dumb for the above solution.

Okay, run along now. Do I have to talk about Tibet to get you to fuck off, shitposter?

Epic projecting monkey.
Keep not being able to play video games then.

evolve

Most of those games found their niche long, long before the indie boom that made people think "pixel art = indie" and none of them ever found the kind of shelf-space or presence in the public eye that many over-produced, quasi-realistic graphics games get.

Cave Story, for instance, is every bit a better game, with better story, lore, characters, and plot than something like The Order 1886, even though one was made decades before the other. However, if Cave Story were made today, it still wouldn't get a fraction of the budget that The Order got, because it doesn't have the graphics that executives and shareholders demand.

except cave story only nees to sell a lot less to make a shit ton of money for the guy or studio who makes it.

being a niche hit can make a single guy literally rich.

6 mills user.
Almost twice a much as starjew valley.

It still doesn't matter, big wigs are suddenly going to stop pumping their grool because that's all they've ever known. They don't know that some random hipsters work is going to be a success, all you've done is picked out a few exceptions in a sea of shit.

you're trying to bother me, aren't you.
To answer your question
Lo fidelity doesn't sell well
and NVIDIA and AMD will give you tons of money to put a bunch of suboptimal shit to try and sell their gpus to people.
Kind of like how seagate pays some studios to not compress their games so they can sell SSDs.

I meant AREN'T

And by low fidelity doesn't sell well, I mean it doesn't sell well to normalfags.

What you don't want good ol 4k models in your video games? How about those small 720 ones then?

Pretty much, you can catch lightning in a bottle, but sometimes that can be due to exposure by e-celebs and other external influences instead of having a genuinely good game.
If you hype it just right, it will sell.

What's the problem?
A high res model with 4k textures, happy autist?

No I am not.
That's horribly unoptimal

The problem is that there's so much detail put into every scene that everything feels cluttered. Older games had less processing power to work with, so when detail is used, it's used meaningfully. There are also a plethora of bad post processing techniques used these days: chromatic abberation, film grain, overuse of bloom, and aggressive color grading to name a handful. One of the worst I've found is "temporal reconstruction". This renders the game at a lower resolution than requested, then takes the last few frames rendered and samples them to make a high res image. It's an impressive technology and does improve performance, but the end result is so blurry that it's not worth using.

Lol it's this faggot again

Good goy!

I don't understand why this is used so much. I'd get it in a dream sequence or after you get hit in the head or something, but it's used in fucking everything now and I don't get why. Life is Strange uses it constantly for god knows what reason.
You know what's the most infuriating thing? All those hi-def models, 4k textures, bloom, post-processing, DOF and aaaall that shit is fucking useless. Why? Because devs nowadays don't even understand the importance of lighting. Every modern game I've seen has shit lighting that induces zero atmosphere. You know why Silent Hill 2 is as atmospheric and creepy as it is? Because when it's dark, you see jack shit. You need a flashlight. Compare that to, say, Dark Souls 3 and you don't even use that game's torch for lighting the way. I don't have it, but I'm sure most of you have already seen the gif comparing FEAR's lighting with Bioshock Infinite's. Everything so well lit, so bland. It's like devs are afraid that someone will miss one square millimeter of misguided polish.
I've been playing Doom 3 and Quake 4 with sikkmod lately and frankly, a little more contrast in the colors works wonders and adds tons of atmosphere to the games. It honestly made me miss the days of ever more powerful game engines where entire games were designed to showcase the technology. Who would've guessed it? At least that implied some work. Nowadays game engines are made solely to sell you graphics cards that add a bunch of meaningless bullshit.

>You need a flashlight
Can I say, this is one of literally the most disappointing things about breath of the wild. You have a whole lighting system to work with the fact you can ignite weapons made out of wood and it is quite literally only used for
1. One of the divine beasts and almost immediately after getting in you open it up and turn on the lights
2. One challenge shrine that ends in a Hinox fight with enough room you literally can just put out your light and fight the hinox with literally 0 sacrifice as a result of putting your light away because the hinox has a gentle glow and the eye is fullbrighted in the dark
The entire system is wasted

TIBET WORKED! Eat shit, chink. You were proven wrong.

THESE QUADS DON'T LIE OP

wew lad

Hear hear. I was fucking disappointed when I realized the engine had the power to plunge me into full darkness and it STILL MAKES NIGHTTIME JUST A BLUE-TINTED DAY. Every fucking video game does this. I want my torch or lantern or flashlight to be the only thing beating back the darkness as I move between settlements. I want to see tiny orange lights in the distance as beacons of safety.

And I want to play a fucking hitman game where I can shoot out all the goddamn lights and have ACTUAL DARKNESS rather than BAKED-IN LIGHTING EFFECTS STILL SHOW UP when the room has no windows or no reflective surfaces to keep bouncing light down to it.

at the very least they could have made bloodmoon nights be fucking dark.

People stop hiring artists and designers because they were interesting and started hiring them because they make marketable shit.

Project harder you fucking cuck shill

You have clearly not seen the majority of indie pixelshit out there, typical characteristics of pixel indieshit is that they are very low detail "sprites" that looks like someone slapped together in MS Paint. You usually won't see or ever hear of those games unless you delve into early access and kikestarters but that is the majority of indie pixelshit. Meanwhile when sprite comics were a fad thanks to bob and George it quickly became common to look down on and scorn such things, and shitty recolors.

lol

>>>/reddit/ is that way

This phenomenon has actually been studied by groups trying to use video games for veterans with shell shock. The general results is that you either go low graphics or go high graphics but with the caveat that you need to go full autism on the detail.

Even Redditors would be embarrassed by your tech ineptitude.

I think that’s what I got tired of and went back to playing old school Japanese horror novels for the PlayStation.

Run the game, Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Shift+Esc to stat Task Manager, Find the running process in Task Manager. Right-Click and choose Set Affinity. Change the CPU affinity to cores only. Go back to the game and it should run without crashing. Yes, you must do this every time you run it.

For example, if you open Process Affinity for the process and it says:
CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2, CPU 3, CPU 4, CPU 5, CPU 6, CPU 7
then only use
CPU 0, CPU 2, CPU 4,CPU 6

I see your point though.

What would vidya be like if devs were to approach modern gaymen hard&software with a pre-2005 mindset?

Do you have any kind of proof for that?
I want to see it.

there are more concerning things than that, like seagate's drives having abysmal survival rates

Literally 2007, just compare the PC releases on that year and the years after it.
You got some good releases like Vicky 2, Arma 2 and Mount&Blade, but they we're niche as all hell and hard to come by.
At least it's gotten way better than those dark years.

That's why I wish for a game that would have graphics only slightly more advanced than late PS2 era in exchange for a shitton of content.

I'm surprised you can post with those parts

Is it that bad?

lol, dipshit

Yep, did it. Doesn’t fix it.

I refuse to buy a seagate drive ever again after what they did back in the days of the first terabyte drives. There was a huge scandal because they refused to recall or refund anyone.

Nice retarded hyperbole. What good does it do you?

Doesn't work that way
You can have the shittiest looking game ever and still modern consoles wouldn't be able to handle the processing power to, for example, have a GTA game where you can enter every single building out there or have a shitton of NPCs.
Their stifled CPUs can't even handle something like that, it's why the PS4 Pro is so shit and can't most things at 60 FPS because the shitty CPU only has a slight overclock.

In a word, better
I'd argue against it being a straight upgrade, however. Activision and EA were doing the same slimy things a decade ago, just less efficiently.

I don't blame you.
That annual failure rate was fucking insane.
archive.is/8dTwG - Archive related

the gaming industry is just like hollywood and theatres, it needs to die

Of course you can, there's no technical hurdles for those things. Being able to enter every building is a design problem of not having them all look the same or just being templates, which would be boring. There were PS2 games with tens of thousands of NPCs on screen using billboard sprites because non-visual information on an NPC is typically trivial.

Modern CPUs are really fucking fast. Most modern games perform like shit because they're made with bad practices in mind for faster turn around time or are just heaped on top of third party catch-all engines.

On that note, games made in Unity can't be fast unless they completely ignore unity's built in component system. It completely annihilates the cache. they're trying to fix this, though

No, but there's a lot to be said for the abstraction layer that lower quality graphics offers. The more realistic a game's graphics are, the more realistic you expect the animations, physics, collision, and other aspects of graphical design to be, and this doesn't always mesh well with game mechanics. It's like hitting the uncanny valley, and the more games try to ape realistic graphics - the more they have to shackle themselves to the expectations set by reality.

Low quality graphics allow for a much greater breadth of gameplay mechanics because you don't have that effect and can accept what you see on the screen as an abstract representation of the actions being performed. Because it's an abstract, you can layer whatever mechanics you want underneith and it still works.

Somewhere along the lines games stopped being primarily a collection of rules with a graphical interpretation, and more a simulation of reality with gameplay rules stuck in wherever they could manage without breaking the scene depicted.

THERE ISN'T A SINGLE FUCKING VIDEO GAME WITH GOOD GRAPHICS YOU MASSIVE AUTISTS!!! IT IS ALL FUCKING TRASH WITH ABSOLUTELY FUCKING ATROCIOUS 20-METER DRAW DISTANCE AND DISGUSTING MUDDY TEXTURES!! GRASS STOPS RENDERING LIKE 15 FEET IN FRONT OF YOU AND HAIR LOOKS LIKE FUCKING NOODLES! CHARACTERS ARE MADE OF CLAY OR PLASTIC AND ALL THEIR EMOTIONS ARE EXAGGERATED! VEGETATION LOOKS LIKE GARBAGE, TEXTURES LOOK LIKE PLASTIC AND IT'S AN OVERALL SHITSTAIN
WE NEVER HAD GOOD GRAPHICS AND NEVER WILL BECAUSE FUCKING CONSOLES

jesus christ you'[re an embarrassment

user pls, pixelshit don't real pixel art.
There's no way this sort of graphics treadmill can keep up forever. The industry has fucked itself in the long run.

You can run the game now?

This is why I've been playing the internet's oldest continuously running and developed MUD: The Revenge of the End of the Line.

telnet eotl.org 2010

Why even live when you're too dumb to know how your OS works?

zuggsoft.com/page.php?file=zmud/zmudinfo.htm

windows users

I think zmud is deprecated and cmud is the new one… not 100% sure (I use JMC "jaba mud client" by some russian dude).

(checked)
I don't use zmud/cmud but i'm not gonna lie i've used maps people made using it

I bought a game the other day and it has good graphics.

GTFO shill

If you have the technology, why not?

I'm still impressed with that webm

That's because they are afraid you'll miss it, it's pretty simple they spent time, money, and work on that fancy set piece and god damn it they want you to look at it. This is also a large problem with CGI studios they want you to look at it they don't want to hide and obscure all their work that they put into those effects. That is why it's awful.

If EDF had realistic graphics, I wouldn't mind letting my imagination run wild with how many ways I can save planet earth.

When I heard Minecraft was originally suppose to be top down it made no sense at all to me. Until I played dwarf fortress. Then useless garbage in MC like charcoal started to make sense.

Funny how you still have no argument.

Nope.

What IS an argument, really?

A miserable little pile of secrets.

contrary to popular belief old games still had art teams and still tried to push graphics to their limit, difference is they had shit like space limitations like how the fuck can i get all this on a snes cartridge. now its just lets put 512x512 textures upscaled to 4k uncompressed and who gives a fuck

I feel that the detailed games aren't realistic enough. There's always something missing that makes it look off. That's why art style is important.

Like in Rogue One when they couldn't help themselves but to hold the camera in extreme closeup of the CGI faces for seconds.

There should be some things that arent shown to you but implied toward to let your imagination do the rest, which is why Stalker spooks so many people, you hear all these noises in the dark wasteland but look around and see nothing
In the game version here of Shiela Ray the brave (at 27 seconds) all those noises in the woods yet you see nothing making those howls and caws frightened me greatly as a child, it's the fear of the unknown
That's why many movies now aren't scary like older films, they show everything for the audience rather than let us wonder
Take for example the Twilight Zone series too, many episodes purposefully had camera angles to obscure certain things which were crucial to the plots logic, which left the audience wondering and nervous about what they would see should it be shown.

Also 4:07

You should play Carnivores

Looks good, I might
How'd you know I like dinosaurs

I have this issue as well with my cousin. He has decently good taste, liking games like Legend of Dragoon, but refuses to play it because the graphics are outdated, even though he wishes they'd make a remake of the game because it was so good and he loved the combat system. Graphics culture is destroying vidya.

It can't be saved, user. What do you do when people find cheaper, mass produced garbage more appealing than hand-crafted art? There are people on this board who unironically think that the N64 aren't hideous.

Don't normalfags love pixelshit?

Humans have imagination. Normalfags don't. Normalfags are not human, they have replaced humans. Normalfags see a good anime and instantly go "WOULDNT THIS BE AMAZING AS A LIVE ACTION MOVIE?" They see an old stylized video game and shriek "HD REMAKE WHEN?" They don't read. They think all animation is for kids. They can't get the most out of a piece of entertainment unless it looks and sounds like real life. They want to spend as little time as possible thinking, so they fill their free minutes with useless idle chatter and smartphone apps, and all of the chatter and apps are also just gossip about real people who are immediately relevant to them.

this place gets more deluded every day.

Those people don't care about the depths of entertainment because they only consume it casually. Most of their time they're out in the real world hanging out with other average people. As much as I hate them for their mediocrity, part of me envies their existence.

Birch forests still remind me of that game.