So most, if not all, games can be easily played without audio. What games are there that can be played without video?

So most, if not all, games can be easily played without audio. What games are there that can be played without video?

Other urls found in this thread:

valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/
audiogames.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There were some pretentious indie projects that utilized audio mechanics for disabled people. But as far as i remember all authors are leftists.

None, they're called video games for a reason. Blind people need to work towards a cyborg future if they want to see.

Unfortunately video games are a very visual medium. It's kind of in the name: VIDEO games. That being said, I'm sure there's a rhythm game out there somewhere that you can play with just audio cues. Hell, you might even be able to play Rhythm Haven without visuals if someone else helped you with the tutorials. Also Kingdom of Loathing has made an effort to remain blind-people-friendly, since it's almost entirely text and a text-to-speech program can allow you to navigate it without visuals, albeit slowly.

Chess.

nethack has support for a braille screen.
if you can call nethack playable

Thats just niGGers.

Text adventures (with voice acting).

t. grommet

This is the most retarded thread ever created. Congratulations.

I think the comics are supposed to be a "so bad they're funny" kind of deal.

I always figured fighting games were a good candidate for this sort of thing. By far your biggest obstacle playing vidya blind is navigating the game worlds but you don't have to do that at all in fighters.

The one thing that would be a big factor is the sound design. If the developer does a good enough job at producing distinctive sounds for all the actions it might be possible to get good at playing by what sounds you hear the game make.

silly user, you can always play without a video as long as you don't care about progress

thanks for the eceleb plug, really appreciate it

Shadow of Mordor™ or any of the new Batman™ combat games. I'm not joking.

I can tell, they're trying

All walking sims.

I remember some guy played Zelda 64 while blindfolded. Things fell apart when he fell through a wall and i to some nether area.

Blindfold runs aren't the same, it's a speedrunning gimmick when you have the inputs memorized so much you don't need to look at the screen. You can't get that input memorization without being able to see in the first place.

There was a Japanese one for the Saturn and Dreamcast from the D guy

Aside from this, I think that rhythm-based games could work too. The blind person could listen to certain sound cues in the music and press the appropriate button in tandem. If they're mistime the press, the music starts sounding badly. If they hit the note just on target, the music keeps sounding good.

Some games like Rhythm Heaven or Bit Trip Runner touch on this concept, but don't go the extra mile to them playable for blind people. With a little tweaking, I sure that those two could make for some great audio games.

There was a game/demo-project that was showed on game expos, where you had to put a sort of gas-mask and had the crystal on the eyes covered so you couldn't see shit.

Game worked this way:
You are underwater, can't see shit, there's monsters that want to hunt you down.
You have a joystick so you can rotate to track where the monsters are due to the sound they make.
You only have a button, to shoot.
Shooting makes noise, thus attracting the monsters towards you.

BUT also the mask has a microphone near the mouth so it can track the noise you make when you breath.
So you have to also manage your breathing to make the less sound as possible.

Will try to find a vid

I remember there was an indie game for blind people called something like "Stab in the Dark," but I can't find it. It was a multiplayer FPS where the players were put in a pitch black room, so nobody could see anything, and the only way to orient yourself was the sound of a single leaky pipe somewhere in the room. Everyone had a knife, and the goal was to find and kill all of the other players, but the only way to find the other players was by listening for their footsteps. It sounded like it could be tense and fun, but not something with any real staying power.

This would be a case where "computer game" is not necessarily synonymous with "video game."

Ah fuck, the developer is one of the original SJW shits related to the five guys scandal.
Such a shame.

I remember reading about a blind kid who sent a letter to Nintendo thanking them for making Rhythm Heaven.

There was this japanese one that was made for blind people with music by the guy who composed for Earthbound.

there was a flash game i tried awhile ago called Blind Swordsman or some shit, where you had to listen for footsteps with 3d audio and block/strike in the direction you thought the enemy was

This one is going to trigger nu-Holla Forums but The Witcher franchise

Good sound design and positional audio help a lot. There's a blind guy who internally maps out each level in Abe's Oddysee by running into everything and seeing what noises they make, then plays through the levels relying entirely on audio cues in vid related.
From a tech perspective, HRTF helps a lot, as does good sound propagation. Something like Steam Audio ( valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/ )is ideal but it's proprietary and implementing something like that yourself is pretty difficult.

Man, I remember some Audio only maze game in the early 2000s, but I forgot the name.
There is also audiogames.net/ if you want to learn more.

You could try Rhythm Heaven, but you still need to be able to see the menus, and it might take some trial and error to figure out what the game wants.

But other than that, you may actually play better without the video.

That comic was just bad though, something can only be so bad it's funny if the original creator actually thinks he's making something of high quality like Sonichu or The Room. If it's made shit on purpose then it's cancer.