Have you ever been to a LAN party? You never see these nowadays...

Have you ever been to a LAN party? You never see these nowadays, but perhaps that's just because of how multiplayer games being made recently have been built in a way where LAN parties either aren't needed or are obsolete. Also important to note how messaging/voice/chatroom programs have progressed significantly so it's almost as if you're in the same room.

Not even my university's "gaming" club seems to have LAN parties; rather, they decide a day they want to get together on disagreement and play any of the typical generic popular multiplayer games right now such as Overwatch or PUBG.
So what could it be that is responsible for the fall of LAN parties?

Far from it. There's nothing like hearing someone scream "who the fuck is anon666" after you kill the same guy a few times in a row.

Consoles.

ASSFAGGOTS

Internet got cheaper and cheaper. It's not coming back. It's dead. Move on to the stage of acceptance.

You are on some serious drugs if you believe the voices you are hearing are… like… people inside your room.

But a LAN party requires good LAN games, and that's a big reason why we don't have LAN parties anymore. Devs have been getting their panties in a twist about piracy and refused to support LAN multiplayer because it provides a means of DRM-free online multiplayer. Now the devs who do this shit generally don't produce games that are any good anyway, but all the same there's a lack of quality LAN games these days.

Gaming centers are making a slow comeback, though

LAN parties are basically to PC gaming what arcades were to consoles. Back in the day they served a legitimate need, however now that technology has advanced so much that need has ceased to be and all it has left is the novelty of it. Probably fairs a bit better than arcades because at least LAN's don't depend on a company being able to manage a sustainable business model out of it.

But among who and why? Normalfags, and for this stupid idea called "socialization".

that's redundant!

Starcraft II

we've had this thread only 10000 times before

That's pretty much it. They form local gaming communities. Only the games being played are different. There's still something different about playing locally than on the internet, even though the latter is more convenient.

I see you were in the gaming trends thread.

My friends and I have hosted LAN parties for years, we just had one this week. It's a mixture of the streamlining of multiplayer to be about matchmaking and revolving door servers that features essential to gaming like system link don't exist anymore outside of PC gaming. You can sit on a mic talking shit to a guy in game but it's a whole new level when the guy you're shit talking is in the same room.

Even consoles could have LAN parties via system linking.

Went to one a couple of years ago arranged by uni. club. It was pretty great, although the games has changed from local to online it's still something else to sit in the same room and play together, look at someone else playing etc etc.
Most people were in 90-94 range though so it might've something to do with it.
Best events:

And that's why it's shit. LAN parties weren't about being with friends, they started because internet wasn't cheap. Now that it is relatively cheap, there's no reason to have them. So, the closest thing you get is a bunch of normalfags and half-normalfags gathering around, forming another gay fucking social club for people whose minds are eternally stuck in high school.

I've never been to a big proper LAN party.

I did organise LAN parties with my friends every Saturday for 2 years though. That kind of went down the drain though after one guy joined the army, one guy fell asleep every week (and refused to wake up even when he tells us to), one guy got depression and moved back to his hometown and a LAN party isn't a LAN party with 2 people. Not to mention everybody fell out with each other. We mostly just played RTS games - made the most interesting stories at the end of the day.

Actually LANing is much more fun than playing online. I miss those days. We're all too lazy for me to convince everybody to move their PCs anywhere. The closest I've gotten since those days is when I tell a guy I'll play games with him and then surprise him by turning up at his door with my PC.

i've been to a few big 200+ person lan parties. it was a bunch of faggots playing DOTA and a few playing CS:S

I had a few buddies that I did WarCraft III LAN matches with back in the early 2000s. It was definitely fun as fuck. Games lose a lot when your opponent is a stranger thousands of miles away in Hueland or Russia instead of a friend a few feet away.

LAN parties was so much more than just playing some games though. I learned so much about hardware and programming from oldfags in such settings. Eating together, shittalking, going on walks together between games, experiencing shit, I have so many fond memories from the LAN parties of my youth. You kids are missing out I tells ya. THINGS WERE BETTER WHEN I WAS YOUNG!

ive been to several, after the sweaty man pile incident i kinda stopped going to them. also there was that one time someone almost got stabbed cause someone went cabin crazy, that was neato. we mostly played dota all stars, halo, and CS 1.6 and source.

this the main draw of lan parties is the actual human contact you get, its so much more fun when your mates are right there with you. even just setting up a party to play dota 2 all together is great even though its not really lan.

Developers don't make games that support LAN anymore so you're stuck trying to convince people to play 10+ year old titles in a room together.

Back in high school I realised you could run games like Quake 3 and UT from a burned CD, so me and some friends started taking over the comptuer labs at lunch and played deathmatch over the LAN. Eventually word got around and we'd have every computer in both computer labs full of kids every lunch, every break time, etc.

The school tried to ban us once we got caught jibbing off lessons to carry on matches that were close when the bell rang to finish lunch. But by that point there were that many burned copies of the games floating round the school that they couldn't stem the tide. Pretty much everyone had their own copy of all the LAN games we played (I charged a quid for anyone who wanted their own copy, once people realised they were only guaranteed a game if they had their own disc everyone started paying).

No, because I want to avoid any of the following things :

Oof, no. Not even once, prefer to stay comfy at home or just go to a friend where I know they will spare me this ordeal because they are my friend.

I don't think that word means what you think it does.

imagine being this retarded

Tell us about the chip on your shoulder.

birth years between late 1990's and early 2000's to be precise.

Just realised this faggot was larping as a tranny.

you can't avoid me breaking into your house at 3am to shit on your chest faggot

Fuck off tranny

This motherfucker thinks there's a new generation every 10 years!

>When the place was dead, spent my time downloading ROMs to play on zsnes at home
Those were fucking great days
kids these days will never experience such fun, it makes me sad

they have KIK, Minecraft and disagreement and Doom 2016.

Nothing new or popular has LAN options

>CS 1.6, HL:DM, UT2004, Halo CE, C&C, Eve Online
I feel old now.

I still boot up Halo 2 and walk around the maps alone just for the feels

They phased out naturally which is understandable, but the shift from community-hosted servers to the reliance on matchmaking servers has killed any sense of community or diversity in people and player-created content so LAN parties with modern games would be completely pointless, if not outright impossible since I believe many games these days don't even have a LAN function. It's really weird seeing people try to get together so they can all sit in the same room and play league of legends online.

The only genre that still has this is fighting games. While not the same as FPS and other PC games, at least they've managed to keep their niche. There's plenty of places out there where lots of really dedicated and knowledgeable people hosting scenes where players of varying skills show up. They're not popular here like they are in Japan, but I've even seen a few actual arcades where they have all sorts of cabinets, consoles and emulators hosting events every weekend.

I haven't been able to experience LAN parties very much, but the few times I've been able to get a few friends together in the school library to play UT or whatever were a blast and I wish I could've experienced them on a larger scale, with friends and strangers alike.

Me and my brother used to drag our computers down the street to LAN with a girl we knew. Her and her older brothers played a lot of games too so we'd play a lot of Unreal Tournament or whatever was the thing at the time.

Istarted playing gaylo again just to relive the feeling of the old days

I'm having a great time but it's not the same

This explains so much about why everyone currently college age or younger is a colossal faggot.

Is that not what Holla Forums does?

It's true though.
Every 10 years children are teenagers and teenagers are adults.

Please cease to exist.

How come people don't do fun things anymore?

They do. Just not around you.

Related, but not quite the reason I stopped (back in '08). Nothing new or popular is any good, regardless of whether it has options or not. When I thought about going to another LAN I asked myself "what would I play?" and I couldn't answer.

I dunno I left 4cuck when jewt killed /new/. You tell us, is that what halfchan Holla Forums does?

Faggots like these is what ruined LAN and generally any multiplayer game, cunts that want to play some game thats supposed to be played with more than 2 friends and alienate both themselves and anyone who wants to get in, now cafes with pcs are either extint or have really rundown computers because of kikery like the latest crypto currency fad ramping up prices to retarded levels

define "fun"

A lot of great memories of all of us getting our puters together and LAN hacking in CS 1.6 back in the day. Drinking huge amounts of cough syrup or eating acid and disappearing into video games for an entire night. Getting so fucked up that you spend probably about an hour straight just trying to get out of a corner on a map. Good times.

My college offered LAN parties twice a year. I always avoided them due to A. Being a cheap motherfucker, B. Not being interested in the games they highlighted, and C. Not having any friends up there to begin with.

Still do them. Even playing overwatch with each other together is more fun than over voice chat. I wonder if the next generation will carry the tradition? Not sure how long our group will last.

The biggest problem is finding new games for everyone to play. especially since most all of them are mostly normalfag at heart. so pirating is rarely an option for everybody

fug

Not really. I lived way out in the country, and it was a pain getting everything moved and set up. My old dial-up ISP used to have Warcraft II lan parties, but I was never able to attend. Played a few Halo Lan parties, but nothing really beyond that.

I have far more memories of local co-op and DOOM/RoTT over 28.8.

That's gay dude. Next thing I know you're going to tell me you've never sucked a dick. What a faggot.

i like to meet up with friends and play 4 player games with them on one PC. they tend to only do shit games on these LAN things. i went once cause i got invited into a dota team to play on the tourney. there wasn't much competition and we won easily but the only other games there were overwatch, counter strike, league of legends and call of duty. i wasn't even really interested in dota and i don't care for those other ones at all.

No. Also why are koreans so obsessed with pandas?

Most people on Holla Forums don't have friends user, at least friends who play video games.

Yeah, but the gist is that we used the school's computer back in the 2000s since computers at where i live was expensive as shit. So, once the school was out my lads go to the computer lab every thursdays (the teacher was nice but he only lets us in every once in a week, else the electric bill will shoot-up) and play CS until evening comes. This doesn't last long however, since after that the internet cafe was booming and my lads no longer go to the pc lab to game. My parents bought me a PC for being a good boi and i rarely play with my lads after that.
It was nice and reeks of BO.
All in all, not bad. I've had fonder memories of couch co-op tbh

Could have been amazing if they just invested some staff into organizing and controlling the damned place. What a fucking waste of such a huge, impressive set up.

Yes, I go to private ones every other week. The reason you don't hear about them anymore is because you don't want Sweaty Autizomos or the ASSFAGGOT children knocking at your door.

That's the biggest problem. Even in my adult years, you still have autists you met at school years ago wanting to come the second it's made public knowledge that you're having a LAN party. The same goes for actual kids who think you're hosting a play pen. I was actually called up by a mom half a year ago, angry at me because I told her little shit he couldn't come. Apparently, the second people know there's a LAN party held, no matter how big or small, or if it's just a collection of friends doing it over the weekend. Disgusting single moms think it's a free night away from their badly raised kid. And neckbeard autists you'd only think to find at a furry convention think they're welcome because they like video games too. Us Gam3rzzzz right? xDxD

TL:DR For some reason people get it into their heads that LAN parties are public domain. If you want to get into LAN parties, you need to know someone.

basically you need to be vetted to avoid basement dwellers and other things described in from happening.

Yeah but without the faggotry reeking from his post.

That all sounds pretty nice, user.
I'll never understand why some people insist on using their real names online. Besides obvious privacy issues, shit like this is hilarious.

That's because you're not the same person.

You can't go home again.

Fucking this.
And the moment onfe of the ASSFAGGOT well, faggots, infiltrates their way in all they want to do is force people to play LoL.
Years back I brought in Dynasty Warriors 4 on my laptop and we were doing Unreal Tournament as well, LoL just came onto the map and this one faggot was criticizing how we were playing old games when LoL was new and popular. You couldn't leave your PC alone without this faggot sneaking in and installing LoL without any consent.
I don't remember how we got rid of him exactly, but I remember it involved a steal folding chair.

Because they are delicious.

Better internet and easier access to quality hardware killed LAN parties.
Back when you only had 56k internet, LAN houses were the only place where you could have a decent gaming session without monstrous lag. Also, poorfags that didn't have the money to either have an internet connection or a high-end gaming PC at the time also could enjoy games at a low price thanks to LAN houses.
Other anons said other relevant issues as well, but I think both of these were the most important ones.
Also lazyness, since most games can be played without any kind of problems through the web.

But there's still one kind of game genre that needs to be played offline for the authentic experience thanks to frame-perfect inputs and the need for absolutely no lag: fighting games. If you want something that still feels a little bit like the LAN experience, just go on fighting game tournaments or meetups.

You have to be a very sad man to shit on LAN.

Just because you don't have any friends, doesn't mean anyone else doesn't. I had a LAN party back in October and it was fucking awesome, played BattleFront 2 (old) most of the time.

No

Just the Tobacco jew
I usually close everything and open a window when I leave the room.
With this cold I'm not going outside for a smoke

I went to one when I was about 12 with an older friend of mine, we played some games that I wasn't used to and felt like shit. They kept joking around and I didn't laugh even once and one of them was looking up pictures of topless women. This was back in 2004 or so.

I'm working on getting Zelda4Swords working with Dolphin and VBA-M over a network for a couple friends who like Zelda. Getting it set up hasn't worked out like I hoped but this could be fun if I get it working. (It'd be easier if they just bought new GBAs because we have a softmodded Wii and the GBA cables but they'd rather not bother.)

Pirating is an option if you set up the crack for them, or give them an easy pirated game to install. Luckily my friends have no moral objections to piracy.

Now I'm crying. Thanks.

Leftypol is bringing trannies here every day.

The darkest timeline.

Then:

Now:

I never got to experience this. Was never good at talking with people and never really wanted to. Sometimes like now though I wish I had gone out more and made friends and go to LAN parties. I'm homesick for a place I never belonged to. I'm homesick for a place I'm not even sure exists.

I'll do you one better. Imagine a LAN party without age restrictions and boi hungry pedofurfags. Seeing messages onscreen like:
>Degeneratefurfaggotx:

>most wonderful kill you made there kid

Nothing a bat can't fix. Why didn't you intervene?

I feel fortunate to have played Diablo, DooM, Heretic, and Hexen on the lan when those games were hot shit. It seems to me that people aren't good at anything anymore. Not everybody, of course, just the overwhelming majority. They have no specialties, no talents. They're just social networking drones that engage in debauchery to pass the time, bragging about how many dicks they've consumed.

I reckon most everybody remembers LAN parties, user. Half the night was spent trying to make the X-boxes talk to each other, and hopefully grab the right cords, so you all could finally play some Halo. The one thing I miss is being able to hear the screams of rage from my targets, now I just have to imagine them online. Never technical difficulties, though, it's a good trade-off.

Just grab some Ethernet cables and plug it into a router. Even a nigger could do it

Hey tranny.

That's an extra large rabbit. What a hefty fellow.

Even when internet cafes and lan rooms were still a thing I only played singleplayer because I was too autistic to make friends. I didn't give half a shit when they closed down, only faggots and cunt kids went there. The only two remaining ones that have lan parties are a hardware store and a former big time gaming cafe now turned shitty smoker lounge/cheap billiard bar with one, small room with like 6 ancient pcs.

He doesn't fuck with haters; they smell like pussy-pee.

I always wanted to be in a lan party, none of my friends had computers so i had to buy a console.

melanesians are after 1995 not before.

mellenials

LAN parties would sometimes be ruined by the hosts and his minions. They would select the same maps they are comfortable with etc and then it devolved into "looks we win again guise". It was sometimes worth it if you got good under pressure and beat them on their own turf it would cause serious salt. A guy I knew always would setup LANS with decent number of people but it was simply to pander to his ego by rigging the cards in his favour eventually no one went to his house after he started kicking everyone out who beat him for petty reasons. I hate LANS now coming to think of it.

Goddamnit I feel old now. Fuck.

LAN parties are dying out for a number of reasons, many of which have already been listed in this thread: no LAN play on most modern games; lack of local or homegrown gaming groups; the rise of online-focused gaming communities through services like disagreement/Twitch/YouTube Let's-Players. However, I think the most damaging thing for LAN play has been the simultaneous rise of "competitive" gaming, and online-only play/ranking systems.
I watched this happen firsthand. The LAN club at my university was relatively large (over 100 active members with averages of ~50 people showing up to an event, and a core group of ~20 that would show up to every LAN). For years we hosted quality events and played a large variety of different games. As the older generation graduated and moved on and the slightly younger generation came in, things started to change. There was an increasing focus on online-only "competitive" games - the worst offenders were ASSFAGGOTS like League of Legends. The new kids would show up late to events, stay for a few hours to play ASSFAGGOTS or participate in SC2 tournaments, and then leave early. They wouldn't help set up or tear down, and they never participated in any other games. Sometimes they showed up just to watch Twitch instead of play. Gaming was not about having fun for them; it was about winning. Slowly the club died out. Some guys from the core group kept hosting private LANs of about 8-12 people off-campus afterwards, which were high-quality but much smaller in scale.
The best LANs I've been to are ones in which we've played old games that actually lent themselves to LAN environments, like the older Unreal games or Jedi Knight 2. I can only imagine how much worse things are now with games like PUBG and Overwatch being popular.

I've never seen a successful game center outside of Europe or Asia. In the US they are consistently failures.

That's fucking horrible

I'd join one with her in it.

I once went to a lan party where we played Halo on two separate Xboxes and TVs over Lan. It was cool, they ordered pizza and we had team battles and everything.