Untitled

万年巫女
Ten thousand year Maiden
or
Fountain Pen Witch

So.. Im making a game. The main character is going to be a shrine maiden. She needs to defend her temple against monsters. She wields a giant fountain pen and squirts ink everywhere.I already made a custom game engine for this, so just need to get the art assets done and design levels.
What if I told you she loses her robes when she gets hit like in ghosts/goblins?

Thoughts? Would you play this game?

If it looks fun sure. I still have no idea what kind of game this is, is it a ghosts and goblins clone or something?

You need to copy that ink aesthetics japan uses.

Study japanese calligraphy and implement references from it into your game. If you won't it's gonna be shit.

There is going to be gratuitous ink ascetics.

Not a clone of GnG, but its going to be difficult as fuck.

Ive studied calligraphy a lot already, so yeah this is going to happen.

Im mostly a programmer and not much of an artist, therefore im planning to rotoscope a lot of the character animations. Is rotoscoping acceptable in games these days?
The controls in my game engine will be tight. There will be no mushy controls like lester the unlikely, prince of persia (1989), or dragon's lair (snes).

Sounds like a fun concept, but that's all, you haven't said shit about it.
how's the game itself?
How does it play like?
Is it 2D, 2.5D or 3D?
Are you planing on

Also, something like last pic would look nice IMO.
A two color game with the simplistic nip art aesthetics. I think Ookami might've done something similar, but the game won't fucking run on my PC so I don't know for sure.

Are you planing on selling it on steam or something or will it be a free only game.

Okami tried into ink stylistics. But op probably makes a 2d game.

2d platformer with sprite art. The character moves like megaman, but will attack at mostly melee range using a giant pen. Ink splashes out of the pen to give attacks a slightly longer range. If you run out of ink you will just be limited to just melee range. The boss fights are going to be like ghost n goblins.

At the moment I'm just planning to finish a working demo of a boss fight within a month or so and seeing if there is interest.

Honestly, the ink aesthetic would work better in 2D, easier to make sprites and all that. Plus 2 color, if OP decides to go for that, wouldn't work as well in 3D games. That one 3D game that tried to go black and white looked like shit.
Honestly, if it's free, rotoscoping is fine, though having everything rotoscoped would probably affect a paid game.
Some games do use some kind of rotoscoping for animations, though it's just having a base move and then drawing the character accordingly.
You do, however, need to have some kind of knowledge of drawing to make the aesthetic work out well.

Also, how are the levels? Is it a simple one plataform sidescroller like most sidescroller eroges, those multi-plataform ones like mario or like megaman with the full range of mobility?

If the main character is a woman, yo are obliged to make her beautiful and to make her nude at some point.
If you won't do it, then put a Man as the main character.

Sounds pretty good. Make the artstyle very airy and whimsical, maybe emulate the scriptures of Japanese culture, like okami, but actually hand drawn. Shit would be beast.

This is a barebones animation that I just finished rotoscoping. I will be using it as a base for building the actual sprite on so that I get the proportions correct. Not going to make the actual sprite until tomorrow. I need to buy that stylus pen for my ipad because using a desktop/mouse is terrible for drawing.
Probably not going to do strictly 2 colors, but the color palette will be very minimal. The main character is a shrine maiden and they traditionally wear white, and red. We are already up to 4 colors if we match it with a peach toned skin color and black hair.
Exactly like megaman. Multi level platforms, difficult jumps, swaming enemies, limited Y-axis camera movement, free scrolling X-axis camera. "Zones" that you switch between by using a ladder or door (think metroid/megaman).

Yes I want to make her beautiful, and there will likely be an onsen scene.

Instead of using a computer, should I draw the sprites by hand using inks and a calligraphy brush? Theoretically I could overlay my rotoscoped animations using a small projector onto paper, then paint the sprites and scan the result.

This is the source video for the rotoscoping. Fukushima Chisato is a babe.

I'd drop my Fat Man on her if you know what I mean

That'd be pretty cool.

Do it. That would be fucking great! The workload for that might be a bit too much but it doesn't hurt making just one sample

I know you want people to give you ideas, but its actually really easy to give up by paying attention to what public thinks about your project at early stage. Especially constantly updating Holla Forums while you're supposed to work on your project.

I once shown my animation of self made 3d model of vivian on Holla Forums, somebody called it shit and advised me to drop my useless meme project and i deleted everything

Not really. I took a single life drawing class last year and used a calligraphy brush to do all the paintings. Im no expert, but it can be quite aesthetic when done well.

Oh no worries. Ive already made the game engine from scratch and it took me about a month to do that. I was using placeholder sprites while I made the engine and now its time to figure out a general direction and art style for the final game demo. I reckon it will take another month or so to get the aesthetics tuned up and a boss fight designed.

Move along folks. Nothing to see here.

$ wc -l * 266 Collision.hs 110 Common.hs 75 Constants.hs 110 Intent.hs 34 Loop.hs 41 Main.hs 104 Objects.hs 461 Physics.hs 40 Render.hs 73 Sprite.hs 38 Step.hs 212 Types.hs 1564 total

Ive already written 1564 lines of really densely packed code and built a working game engine. Ive also got the basic skills to implement the art that I want. This isn't just an idea thread. At minimum a boss fight is going to be released and all you faggots can play it.

Is she going to get raped when you lose? If not then what's the point?

Lemme see it

We have /agdg/ threads for a reason you faggot.

Its not going to be an X-rated game, but perhaps it could be implied. Lets see.

That could be fun. I'd play it.

She's the bomb.
Tomboy chicks with small breasts are fucking hot.

You need to make animations extra smooth. Otherwise it'll suck dicks.

Agreed.

Yep. This is just a skeleton base for the real sprite work to come.

Okay, so heres an update.
I have hired a professional artist to make my sprites and I will just focus on making the game engine and good level design. It seems the character is going to be switched to using a giant calligraphy brush as a weapon instead of the original idea of a fountain pen.
Im working on painting the background layers now. The levels are going to be X-axis scrollable, and Y-axis will be simulated by climbing ladders or ropes. The first bits of concept art should be done sometime today, ill post the art here when the artist gets back to me. The concept art should be a good representation of how the game will look.

Well, then for sure you have to sell it to return the loss of money.

Not necessarily, I have a day job that can subsidize game development a bit. My goal now is just to make a badass boss fight and release it for free to see if there is any interest.

Have anyone done a stop motion/flipbook animation where the illustrator fucks his sketchbook waifu via pen?

Okami with Bushido Bitches? I like it.

Rotoscoping is a good technique to use, but if you use the rottoscope'd animation in game they will look stiff and unappealing. You might want to exaggerate the gesture of an action at certain keyframes to really convey the motion and force you want. You could also fake this a bit by using screen shakes or some post-processing effects on the sprite, but they are cheap solutions.

I'd pirate it and then not play it.

I can hear Take on Me inside my head now.

Kill yourself.

OK finally got something tangible back from the artist. This is a wire mockup of the idle pose for the main character. Artist is working on developing the character and the basic idle animation and should send it to me sometime today. I think hes making the lewd version with the character in her underwear first. Cant wait to see the result.

Ive already scratched the rotoscoping idea. Im working with two artists now and bouncing ideas off of them. One is famous around here, and the other isnt.
I spent the day mocking some parallaxed backgrounds using simulated watercolor. Need to finished drawing up some basic assets too like snow falling, trees, fences, and a temple. Hopefully some good concept art from the artists are returned soon so I can upload them here.

Inspecting both digits and work

That's rather an unnatural pose, isnt it?

A bit unnatural, but there is nothing natural about wielding a giant calligraphy brush in a battle against satan's spawn.
This is a mockup of the character's idle position. Cant wait to import the character into my game engine and run around killing demons.

I plan to retouch this character to my liking after all the animation frames are done.

The concept isn't bad, but it's just a concept. Without any actual gameplay examples/demos/videos I have no way to know if it's worth playing.

is her jaw dislocated?

They're about as interchangeable as black and white.

Gameplay when?

Ah
Another Dark Souls

I noticed that too. Just consider this an initial mockup. I will go through and touch up the pixel art to make her a lot more cute.

Ive got some gameplay of my engine running on some borrowed sprites, but I shouldn't upload it because I don't want to infringe.

I just sent this pixel art mockup to my other famous artist friend and she will be fixing it up a bit. She wasn't impressed with this concept.

And by concept, I meant "execution of the concept".

Yes but the issue is the pose doesn't look like one someone would conceivably stand in. Particularly for long periods. Wielding giant weapons may not be "realistic" but people respond better to people at least holding them as they might expect them to be held.

It's obviously not a huge issue, but it's the sort of thing people notice.

Yes thats an issue I will take to mind as more art gets developed and the concept fleshed out. Those giant calligraphy brushes don't seem to be very heavy or this old man would never be able to hold it at an angle like pic related.

Ok so I forwarded the pixel art from to the famous artist I know. The famous artist polished it up and improved the concept a lot. The character looks a lot less like a sheboon and is actually beautiful now.

yes, indeed, I would.
Especially if your pens were Maki-E, the prettiest aesthetic for a pen.

oh
guess I'll have to do something like that myself.

V E R Y N I C E

The brush is the starter weapon. Fountain pen is not out of the picture.

Using the brush as a naginata is a no brainer, you should take that in consideration.

Also i can't say if i would play your game without knowing how the game plays.

Dammit op. This kind of design is going to make you million bucks.

Looks so great and a bit spoopy

OP… what do you want from us? Do you want us to fawn over your vaporware, or do you just desperately need positive reinforcement because you're running into some kind of creative issue?

Either way, this is kind of the wrong place.

The motherfucker is trying to create vidya. Ask him some fucking questions at the very least, you little cunt.

Does he think he's too good for /AGDG/ or something? And why are you defending him, (1)?

I have an idea for a sick fucking game mechanic, it's where OP goes to an agdg threads like the rest of us, and doesn't act like an attention whore. You make the guy who made deadbolt and risk of rain look bad.

New waifu right here. Are you still going to go with pixel art? The style in the second pic combined with the world looking like would be really cool

For all we know it's too new to realize it exists, but at least he's trying to make something.
???

I'd like to interject for a moment
>>>/gamergatehq/
Thank you

So is this like shovel-knight for chicks?

People like you are the reason why ISIS exists.

>What if I told you she loses her robes when she gets hit like in ghosts/goblins?
Does she become a skeleton when she dies like in Ghosts n Goblins? If not, no buy.

A character wielding that kind of weapon would probably look better if