What is Holla Forums's favorite mission in Thief?

What is Holla Forums's favorite mission in Thief?

A lot of people seem to hate the underground Guild level, but I love it.

Other urls found in this thread:

ttlg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134733
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131106
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Thief:_The_Dark_Project#EAX_support
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I enjoyed the bonehoard and the sword. One of the missions I think had some aesthetic potential but fell kinda short was the Mage Towers.

I like the Assassin mission and breaking into the prison.

The Mage Towers is probably my favorite of the gold missions, with the lost city being a close second.

TMA > TDP > Gold

Explain to me why the thieve's guild is so hated?

If it's the one with the two faction you need to infiltrate in order to steal stuff, actually role-played a bit in it. I purposely knocked off all the guards in one of the factions, and left alone all the others, to appear as if the faction with the unaffected guards initiated the theft/attack, so the blame falls on them, and not on me Garret.

Uninstall.exe

I liked The Lost City. It was fun to run around and get lost at first and then eventually learn the place like the back of my hand. It's a shame the mission that takes place in the same area in the second game is also my least favorite.

It's linear and has a lot of backtracking.

Off the top of my head.

Bonehoard > Cragcleft > Everything Else > Casing the joint > Return to the Haunted Cathedral>>>> The Haunted Cathedral

Bonehoard gold or bonehord classic? Because Thief Gold edited the map to make it a lot easier.

The layout is samey and I guess people just dislike sewers.

Mage Towers is also my favorite, at least on repeat playthroughs. It offers so much and is visually fantastic.

I only played the tutorial so far, the control scheme is weird.

Its an old game, what did you expect?

Fucking remap them

If you ever played it on master without a guide you may have remembered having to find a secret just to beat the level.

You mean to reach the required loot amount or? I don't remember off the bat and looking at the objectives list doesn't ring any bells about secrets.

In my first playthrough I'd say probably Return to the Cathedral. On a replay though it'd be either The Sword (Gold version) or The Lost City (either Gold or TDP is fine).

Yeh the towers themselves just seemed half-baked which was a shame.

Song of the Caverns is easily my favourite of the Gold additions.

Backtracking through a mass of samey tunnels and it breaks the pacing/build up of the missions badly for first time players.

Just remap them then faggot.

What's the best Thief game to start with?
I have them sitting on steam as a result of a drunk bundle purchase.

First one, then the second one, then some fan missions, then Dark Mod. Thief 3 if you're really in love with the universe and want to know what happened to Garrett.

Assassins, Mages Tower and Lost City are all great.

For painless first time play do this:
1. Play Thief Gold note that this is The Dark Project with some new content. Expert difficulty is recommended but Hard also acceptable, note that the objectives change with difficulty setting and so do some items and occasionally even routes in the map. If you hate Thieve's Guild use the skip level cheat instead of slogging through it (make a save at the start of it if you're a completionist so you can easily come back and finish it after the story). Use this fanpatch: ttlg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134733
2. Then play Thief 2 (same note on difficulty) using this fanpatch: ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131106
3. After that 3 (aka Deadly Shadows), it's consolised but tolerable. Use this as, among other things, it stitches the tiny console levels into big missions: ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607
4. Play fan missions for 1 and 2 and maybe try out The Dark Mod which is a standalone Thief-inspired thing. See picsrelated speaking of which as I just said in the chart thread if the user who's editing The Dark Mod chart is around please consider sticking 'last edited on' dates to help with version control.
5. Don't touch Thief 4.

Additional note: these games are very sound-based so use good headphones if at all possible. I think there was also an additional tweak you could do to 1 to emulate the old sound card specific features but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I never got what's so weird about Thief's control scheme to people. You have your WASD for movement, a crouch hold/toggle, leaning, jumping, attacking, interacting and inventory cycling. That's about everything you need to play, and if you can't wrap your head around that you might have brain damage.

Thieves' Guild*
Also that first link should be ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733 (forums, not forum). Don't worry about installing the fanpatches by the way, it's painless and automated (point exe at folder and go) and you'll only want the default settings for a first time playthrough. The forum posts look long and complicated but it's really simple and for most people exactly what you want. Worst case if you fuck it up you can ask here for a hand, I know for a fact they work with the (((Steam))) versions though.

One additional thing you might want to consider is grabbing OpenAL, just do what pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Thief:_The_Dark_Project#EAX_support says but remember that you're already doing step 1 so don't do it again. Then when you get around to Thief 2 OpenAL is already installed so you just pick it in options and enable EAX there too same as in Gold. This lets you get the full experience out of the top-tier sound design/tech of the first two games on a modern system.

I still love that Garrett and Karras have the same voice actor. Russel's delivery is fantastic.

I like missions with a long exfil, Cragscleft and Life of the Party come to mind. Bonehoard used to be up their too until I found the second exit. Least favorite is probably Escape.

The gimmick mission in thief gold drag it down I think. I like the tomb raiding, I love the burglaries, stalking, dealing with traps and things of that sort, but when it became a matter of evade this bug doing a chafed thigh walk it was a lot less fun.

Probably the fact there's both a slow walk and a fast walk button with somewhat atypical default keys by modern standards. Worth noting for anyone new to the games that the manual said to try tapping the forward key to move slower if even the slowest movement speed is too loud for you.

Yeh the damage done to his character in Thief 4 was unforgivable, stealth protagonists seem extra susceptible to being fucked over by sequels.

My memory is hazy but is that the one up high as a sort of little door to an enclosed grassy area? I seem to remember that being a thing but I thought it didn't work on Expert mode for some reason unless either my memory is wrong (likely) or it's a TDP/Gold difference.

Not up high, I believe it's through a crack in the wall at the bottom of one of the pillar rooms, but it does lead to a grassy area and it's definitely there on expert.

A crack in the wall sounds right to me, for some reason I was remembering it up high though. I guess my memory just associates it with high because you climb down into the tomb in the first place so you'd expect it to be up there.

Escape is fucking rancid. Thief 1 has the better story, lore, atmosphere, but Thief 2 absolutely destroys it in regards to good and fun levels.

Dumped the game at the first mission with the teleporters. Fucking annoying. But liked the previous missions very much.

Theres a hidden key you need to find.