Is Uber a paradigm of labor exploitation in the 21st century?

Is Uber a paradigm of labor exploitation in the 21st century?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uCvGOKqhP8A
stallman.org/uber.html
web.archive.org/web/20141118192805/http://blog.uber.com/ridesofglory
gizmodo.com/why-uber-is-losing-money-faster-than-any-tech-company-e-1785736918
archive.is/ARWQa
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Uber's pretty interesting since they actually convinced people to work in a situation that makes no sense when you look at financial payoff vs wear and tear costs on vehicles and the insurance liability falling on the driver

decline in work conditions being sold under the guise of freedom

welcome to the 21st century

Uber is a scam, I can't wait until it finally collapses.

It's disgusting and absurd. And their CEO is a fucking cunt.

Just look at this fucking porky
youtube.com/watch?v=uCvGOKqhP8A

Yes very much so they're classified as contractors so Uber can pay them as they please and fuck with their benefits and whatnot. Its the definition of exploitative. The drivers also have to maintain their cars and pay for gas out of their earnings. Uber is worth over a billion and its owners are mega millionaires/billionaires. The average uber driver is making 35-50k a year

stallman.org/uber.html

Yes. Uber and other "sharing economy" businesses that turn personal property into private property for the immediate temporary purpose of market exchange are the future for a lot of the logistics sector. The whol things also perfectly falls perfectly in line with the dominant liberal ideology of treating the individual as atomized and completely "in charge" of their financial needs. UBI does the same by ridding the state of problems of delegation, bureaucracy and managing sub-organs and simply giving workers some cash they can figure everything out with themselves.

will it? right now investors are footing 60% of the bill for each ride. with rates like that, other services will soon be defunct, at which point uber will have a monopoly and gouge prices freely.

they're the present, there are countless logistics enterprises having people work with their own car/van. I'm positive the only reason trucks drivers aren't being forced to buy their own truck is that it's simply too expensive for them. Not so with a van.
It's been like this for years in my country, I'm actually amazed that uber gets media coverage at all.

In fact, talking to people who are looking for work (and being one of them myself) I can't keep count of the times I've heard employers ask the employee to bring their own tools.

own tools is standard for construction workers

is stallman /ourguy/?

how retarded do you have to be to think this is a good idea

In a way yes, because it's temporary. Uber, Apple, Google et al and peter thiel's shit company are all working on replacing this industry with automated cars. Uber and lyft drivers are temporary, probably. Depends how things go, especially considering that the danger is currently very real.

kek, uber even published article about it on it's blog web.archive.org/web/20141118192805/http://blog.uber.com/ridesofglory

Bunch of fucking limpdick amateurs.

Isn't Uber losing money? Like a lot of it? I don't understand how this business model can last.

gizmodo.com/why-uber-is-losing-money-faster-than-any-tech-company-e-1785736918
archive.is/ARWQa

tl;dr - they are operating at a loss, but it doesn't matter because in a couple years most of their cars will be automated and they won't need drivers.

They've bet everything on automated vehicles soon

b-b-but technological unemployment doesn't exist!

Even now it blows my mind that everyone is eager to use what's essentially the west equivalent of brazilian unlicensed taxis.

That's not true, I've heard of people making small fortunes through Uber. Of course not the majority, but some have made big money.

Lyft is still afloat and basically the same thing. >Taxis - unions

counter-arguments, the eternal bane of dumb anecdotal rhetoric

As is usual for capitalism, people focus on the exceptions to justify the rule.