Roguelike thread?

pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

pastebin.com/CTJ0hpLe

New gigantic DDA mod release that lets you win DDA!
github.com/tyrael93/Ascension/releases
This post explains some shit I guess
discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/ascension-mod-or-winning-dda-the-mod/14799

IVAN 0.51 released
github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v051

Sil-q updated
github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/releases

ADOM r88 released for free, includes new secret boss and dinosaurs, get it here:
adom.de/home/downloads.html

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

roguenex.us/ (CDDA, angband, PCB)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
hardfought.org/ (Nethack and variants, including slex)

I am so mad right now. Lost an amazing character to stupidity.
pastebin.com/uYNwR0DN

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/MwFgLSnC
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(video_game)
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation
github.com/tmhedberg/dcss-ehe
te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2018/02/news/announcing-tales-majeyal-next-expansion-forbidden-cults
milieumusic.bandcamp.com/album/gunkajima-expanded-remastered
mega.nz/#!OZ0RAALS!i_gBNDDL6creXHpETP5MntEMq5_KpLK2Ia9XkJoBZZo
pastebin.com/6kNP5V1e
bitbucket.org/rmtew/incursion-roguelike/
github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/releases
crawl.chaosforge.org/Category:Crawl_Versions
github.com/crawl
github.com/tmhedberg/dcss-ehe/blob/master/crawl-ref/INSTALL.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah the sound packs out there suck pretty bad right now. Hoping a good one gets made soon but I doubt that will ever happen.

Damn, OP, I just noticed that character you posted. I'm jealous. I lost my best character ever tonight - I got punked by some floating weapons in the Elven Halls. I was blowing through them earlier and all of a sudden a halberd just started ruining my shit. It's weird, this was only my third Merfolk character and I tore shit up.
pastebin.com/MwFgLSnC

I saw some forum posts about people who wanted to make ambient music for every dungeon branch and have custom-made sound effects for most actions that could be taken. Dead since 2013.

Yes, there is one. Your OP is better though.

I'd like to know about the history of the term Roguelike.
Was there a game named rogue?
What has to occur for a game to be classified as a roguelike?
What is the most famous examples of a roguelike?
What is or are another term(s) for roguelike.

Thanks in advance, old man who never bothered to ask before.

Yes, there was. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(video_game)
This: roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
Angband
ADOM
Tales of Maj'Eyal
Roguelike :^)
You're welcome user.

For shame, OP. You have no dungeon crawling music.

What if everyone just stopped posting in that one?

Yes
There are some lists of criteria but ultimately you're in for an unbelievable whirlwind of autism once they're dragged out and anyone attempts to get specific.
A good contemporary example would be Dwarf Fortress, I can't speak to what's famous.
Turn-based rpg :^)

The meaning of "rougelike" is tough to nail down. Some people will call anything with procedurally generated content and permadeath a rougelike. Purists prefer the Berlin Interpretation.
In addition to what's been mentioned already there's nethack.
For things that are almost but not quite rougelikes people have used the term roguelite, roguelike-like, action roguelike, and procedural death labyrinths.
For pure rogelikes we're pretty much stuck with the name "rougelike".

Is there any indication as to whether Brogue is still in development? Last update was over 3 years ago. Additionally has anyone compiled the damn thing on Linux before? I was wanting to grab the UI upgrades and Lightning in water effect from Brogue+, as well as tweak it to show actual current/total HP on lifebars, but it's a pain in the ass to compile it, the included makefile seems to be intended for Windows.

unrealworld.fi
dev just shitposts about upcoming features and fixes but doesnt release any

What mods fix this game?

wew those stupid suckers on Steam who bought it for $10

game is free but if you want to support a developer NEVER GIVE MONEY TO GABE EVER THAT FUCKING GREEDY COMMUNIST

current run going kinda well I'm cautiously optimistic for this.

reminder to play dungeon crawl: stone soup version 0.18 because every version after that has liberal race and gender identity propaganda and censorship

I got amulet of yendor. let's see if I can make it

I got my near-invulnerable minotaur trapped in a fucking sea of snakes and lizards and all that shit once. Whenever I cut one down, another one took it's place.

Are there any good graphics/sprite mods for it? I got kinda tired of vanilla back when I was playing it on my phone

Are there any roguelike games that aren't like rogue, but more like Skyrim?

gah, I died. managed to get to level 20 before dying to compination of warden and explosive dar warrior

Anyone play Haque? I'm not sure if I liked it, as I found is a bit more annoying than interesting. Not sure it's even a serious RL because it only took me two real attempts to complete. It has a kind of corruption gimmick to it later on. I mainly enjoyed the necromancy, although it could get rare corpses would show up. You have the option to consume them for HP/MP or turn them if you have classed yourself for it. There's also embalming fluid to up the chance but I didn't see a lot of difference. It has an interesting thing where different floors enemies have different traits like, "the monsters here are tough as rock." Seems a lot of people hated the art style but at least it was consistent and most of the annoying shit seems it could be turned off.

I found it annoying because it reminded me of stuff that tries too hard to push its story along, so I just maxed through it because I didn't really have the patience to potentially go through a bunch of story dialogues again. I haven't gone back to it after fully finishing it, there's a sort of epilogue run after the main one that's a cakewalk, maybe it turns into a normal RL after that which you could just coffee break through. Would have been much better if it were much more subtle and difficult.

ACTIVELY MAINTAINED CUMULATIVE FEATURE RESTORATION FORK WHEN
github.com/tmhedberg/dcss-ehe

Why haven't they merged all weapons into "melee" and "ranged" yet? It's begging to be done.

Todd posting was funny only the first 5000 times

You dumb lazy nigger, all you needed to do was perform an internet search and you would find the answer, this is why we need to gas all boomerniggers

what the fuck is with those wand changes. So every character just carries around all the wands with a billion charges now

Speaking of DCSS v0.21, how the fuck do I make a Necromancer work? I've tried all sorts of species, but I've never made it to the bottom of the dungeon with one. I try to make my skeletons do most of the fighting, but they're all terrible and Pain fucks me up when I cast it, making me even squishier than your average caster.

So ToME has a new expansion/DLC coming out.
te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2018/02/news/announcing-tales-majeyal-next-expansion-forbidden-cults

So does ToME actually get games made for its engine like it did before it became a Steam Workshop® game?

at least the cities look and work better than compared to version 6921 where roads in cities were shit to navigate, dead ends everywhere, retarded turns etc. Also, are the wandering hordes more common in static spawns? I barely avoided this one group if it wasn't for wolves dealing with the horde.

there are no wandering hordes in static unless you count those led by a zombie master, and those are very rare

Any good, simple and fun roguelikes like DoomRL? I fell in love with the thing, but I want to try something else in the same style since I've seen most of the content by now.

Angel of Carnage best fucking challenge

Might as well share this story. This is the story I tell people when they ask me why I play retro games. If you're a dedicated ADOM player this may not be as funny, because the punchline only works if you aren't aware this can happen:

So why do I play old games? Because they're fucking funny.

No, when when you pick up a copy of a wand it is not a extra item. l2read

Other poster's implication was probably that if you can't have spares of the same want (especially low-charge ones like healing), it will free up inventory slots allowing you to carry more types of wands simultaneously.

I was kinda hoping that there would be random traveling hordes, I did happen to see one running in wilderness, didn't see if they chased deer or something. The current one which spawns them just randomly all over feels bullshit, I just want some horde to come from somewhere and they either just loiter or pass by.

It's been ages when I last played ADOM, but I had one frightening moment where I apparently got eaten by grue while I had to pass through dark area.

Huh, I've never had that happen. Admittedly I've only ever once managed to proceed to the next… uh, I guess story mission, but I've hung out in dark areas before and I thought the grue message was just a reference.

I think the chance is minimal and you either had to be cursed or doomed in order to happen.

IIRC you can adjust horde frequency and density somehow
hordes enabled is hardo modo because the game periodically randomly spawns them outside your sight range so you cant just hunker down somewhere and be mostly safe after clearing a town, you have to set up barricades and defenses and all that shit for when the fuccbois come rolling

you need to be doomed for that to happen. Altho' sometimes wghen moving through dark areas, it does say something like "you're likely to be eaten by grue". But unless you're doomed, no need to worry.

DCSS devs are from bizarro world. Instead of developing new content for an incomplete game, they spend all their time developing new ways to remove content from their already more complete game. Honestly how do they still have content to remove?

You play an old version that still has death knights or deep dwarves that weren't ass.

(fuckin' checked)
digit checking however will be satisfying for all time

They can still go further. Much further.

Back to Cata
I remember they weren't THAT tough to deal with or that I had better character. Now with new character, similar stats
I need godly amount of luck to survive this one.

normally I would agree but cataDDA takes a week of play to reach the endgame
its not DCSS where you can finish a playthrough in a single sitting

adom takes long time to beat too, and I've beaten it without savescumming.

That was one kind of an ending. At least new start provided me with winter boots and gloves, and some tights to keep my legs warm, shouldn't suffer from cold at least.

Considering that I survived four days in first and two days in second attempt, I wouldn't do that. If you can't least survive for ten days without being in shitty condition, like infection or no food or water, I wouldn't consider savescumming. After that, it's just matter of preference.

Dungeon crawling music you say?
>milieumusic.bandcamp.com/album/gunkajima-expanded-remastered
Couldn't find it on youtube, sorry

adom isnt cata

try surviving 4 years without savescumming

well, true, but my point was mainly that even in long roguelikes, you shouldn't need to use save-scumming

Starting is always the hardest point of the game, depending on where you spawn, what you get from shelter etc. Right now I've managed to get myself decent clothes so I'm not suffering from cold, and I got about 60 or so shotgun shells and double-barreled to deal with tougher zombies, so I am doing good for now.

I've found building that has metallic doors which can't be pried or pick lock, are there any other options to get through them? I don't have torch, and there is reinforced glass and I haven't found sledgehammer.

They prefer to remove items, spells and abilities over reworking their player inventory/spelllist system into handling more than 26*2 slots.

and I would agree with you in general, but not in case of cata
its a sandbox in the scope of elona and Im not losing a 42 hours savegame because autopickup kicked in at the worst of times

if it cant be pried or lockpicked that means its either connected to a lever or a console.
What you can to is find a jackhammer and blow your way through the wall.

COGMIND BETA 5
Literally all the other versions you can find online are over an year old(beta 3), so enjoy this shit niggers.
mega.nz/#!OZ0RAALS!i_gBNDDL6creXHpETP5MntEMq5_KpLK2Ia9XkJoBZZo

I'm having a really good time with Caves of Qud. Plays sort of like Dwarf Fortress Adventure mode, though currently there aren't many civilized places, which should hopefully change in coming patches.

Thanks user.

Call me shallow, but stone soup is the only real roguelike I can get into. My most successful run ever was a gargoyle fighter that got to vaults 2. Is 0.18 the definitive version like says?

No, the rape started clear back in 0.10, it's all up to how many new features you can't live without, versus how many old features you refuse to let go of. At least until somebody makes a cumulative restoration fork and keeps it up to date.

Currently doing adom run. so far I have done the portal quest(and other thrundarr's quests) and gotten the ring of high kings in the main quest department and various other stuff. Currently doing ice-queen's quests

forgot to add, this is my current character

He's right about it always being a matter of one step forward two steps back. For me, the definitive version is probably somewhere between 0.14 and 0.16.

0.14 removed a bunch of levels from the dungeon, which was actually needed (D:16-27 were replaced with the Depths:1-5, which were far more interesting), and added a bunch of new spells and items, along with the best god. However, it renamed double and tripleswords to bastard swords and claymores - a change no one asked for, that was quickly reverted on 0.16. I've got a soft spot for this version because I placed pretty highly in the .14 tournament.

0.15 got rid of inventory weight and item destruction, which despite seeming like filthy casualization at the time wasn't actually a bad change in retrospect. They also cut a few more levels from some of the other branches. On the other hand, .15 didn't have Ru (or Jewag), and removed inexplicably removed player clinging, which was a cool if rarely-used feature.

.16 introduced two more gods and reworked artefact generation, but removed a bunch of items that were pretty cool (Iron Rod, anyone?) along with the Felid leap attack. Because Felids were totally OP, right? It also fucked up traps badly, making it so you can no longer fly over them and also introducing Shadow traps.

Beyond that they just removed more and more stuff and got increasingly shitty. There were a few cool additions, like juggernauts, but mostly it was faggy changes like making Ignite Poison no longer useful in Spider Nest. And from what I hear about later versions - aside from the removals - it's all stupid shit like renaming the Sword of Jihad and turning all the NPCs into transgenders.

Reminder that if you're okay with v0.14, there's an old fork of it restoring pretty much everything stripped out back to v0.10 that I linked earlier, Extra Hearty Edition. Note that there are no binaries, so you'll have to build it yourself (I used msysGit on XP, because I like true VGA textmode).

Ive been playing CDDA for like 4 days non stop now and i cant stop
Why this game is so great?

its a sandbox where you can do anything™ and a mans ultimate power fantasy of cobbling together a tank from kitchen appliances while defending his right to bear arms and moonshining

Im playing it for the first time and still learning but i already have set up a comfy cabin in the woods with plenty of canned foods looted from nearby mansion, also i have a knife spear with is excellent when it comes to fighting because it got reach attack

three-pronged spear is a better option

Which is the best god and why is it Xom?

Playing PosChengband lately as a Ring - my bearer is a Temporal Champion, after the Hell Knight I lovingly raised up from a simple Anti-Paladin cast me off one too many times and became permanently uncharmable. I'm up to the 'farm the Arena till Clvl50' segment of the game. Dimension Door is amazing, as ever, but I'm starting to get a bit bored with doing the same thing over and over. That's just *bands, I guess. At least I have a good selection of abilities, though it sucks finding great gear and not being able to equip any of it.

Dith, because it turns stealth into something reliable enough to build your game around, rather than a cute little sidegame that increasingly gets relegated in favour of casting or more defences.

Plus, if shit hits the fan, you can load up a triple crossbow of piercing and get your shadow to fire bolts half the time when you do. Still getting pasted? Activate shadow form to gain invisibility, immunity to poison, draining, torment, and hostile enchantments, and 50% damage reduction, without any drop in your ranged damage.

Dith is legit OP, and no one has realised for the last 6 versions or so. Chei is also a lot better than most people acknowledge.

now I have defeated the Ancient Chaos Wyrm. yay. I think this is third time I'm this far in the game

Downloaded this on a whim without knowing a thing about it. Thoroughly impressed. Though maybe not $20 worth of impressed.

Chei isn't popular? +15 to all stats is crazy good.

well damn, I wanted to do ghost librarians quest, but seems like some monster killed him while I was clearing the library.

Well, I learned the wish spell from spell book. Never been able to read spell book of wish before. Also, wish seems to have pretty insane pp cost

Christ, Biskup really is an absolute faggot.

Maybe Chei is popular here. All I'm judging by is the stupid shit I've seen constantly regurgitated on the DCSS forums ('Waah, no Haste, Chei is worse than no god!') whenever I can work up the stomach to check that shithole out and see what they're planning to cut next. Food and the ID system are both hanging on by a thread as it is.

But yeah, Chei's stats are great. And spamming Slouch can get you out of most any trouble you're likely to find yourself in.

What? How is that even supposed to work without a clock mechanism?

well great, I fucked myself over. I defeated the snake from beyond and, forgetting that I had no means of removing corruptuions, ate it. And I had very bad luck with corruption. one of the corruptions is mana battery, which means I can't use wands and the other is tentacle face, which means I can't cast spells. I'm currently desperately trying to find a way to remove corruptions. I'm so fucked.

And Biskup doesn't even give the source code.

Even Nethack is almost entirely developed by a shadowy devteam, pretty much the only benefit of open source form most roguelikes is crossplatform ports and compatibility updates.

How are there still things to remove?

I like the sound of those wand changes. Yes, they are more casualized, but I feel like I could actually use wands more than once in a blue moon under the new system.

How do I open the secondary windows that display information in Sil? I grabbed the version from the AUR and it only opens a primary window, but a video introduction to the game I skimmed has a bunch of windows with information on them.

m8, Nethack is infamous for not having any fucking work being done on it in something like the last twelve years. They finally released an update last year and they might as well have not bothered for all it actually changed. My RSI has probably developed more from just typing this post than Nethack will in the next twelve months.

And let's be brutally honest; Nethack's shit anyway. It was the first roguelike I ever completed, and I'm sure the others all owe it a debt in one way or another but it does not stand the test of time. 'XD LOL I ate the trident and it was like Trident gum! So random!'. 'Confuse yourself then read scrolls of enchant armour to safeguard your clothing, so obvious, 10/10 GOTY.' For its time, no doubt, Nethack was great, but now if you want something a bit fun and wacky then just play Elona+ and marry your pet bear or something.

And the prime benefit of open source is variants. Slash'Em, PosChengband - hell, ToME4 wouldn't exist if not for its predecessors being open source. Sure, most variants suck, but the cream rises to the top. Plus open source puts pressure on the devs to keep developing. Because if they stop, someone else will jump in and potentially make the project their own - look at what happened to Whales and Cataclysm/DDA.

Window tab (at the top of the screen) > Visibility > click on the various shit there like Equipment, Combat Rolls, etc. Find your own combination that suits you. Personally I leave the last three closed.

well, haven't found means of removing corruptions yet, but I've reached the casino level. And I was reminded that the unicorn quest is a thing. I guess I could do that when I reach level 30. Because I can get rid of corruptions that way as a reward.

>There were a few cool additions, like juggernauts, but mostly it was faggy changes like making Ignite Poison no longer useful in Spider Nest. And from what I hear about later versions - aside from the removals - it's all stupid shit like renaming the Sword of Jihad and turning all the NPCs into transgenders.
Wait what? And Why? I mean I'll say this about later ToME and the loss of the Orc Genocide plot, at least they made up for that with more quests and an entire expansion where you got to play as the bad guys getting their revenge on the world. I mean I get the fear of Kebab showing up on your doorstep and murdering your low T body as a developer but man slapping fucking tranny shit into everybody post 2010, it's as obnoxious as weebs dumping shitty trap characters with no fucking personality on the boards.

Actually my screen seems to small for the defaults and I can't be bothered fiddling with the config file, I don't mind having to press I and E for inventory and equipment but is there any way to open Combat Rolls in the main game window?

So far I'm not missing anything crucial, but I can't seem to find gunsmith kit anywhere. Where those are usually located, aside from gunsmith's shop? And how one does open those fuel tanks in gas stations with cash card system?

Blackmail, basically. Either they let Team Weimar have their way, or they make headlines for committing illegal hate crimes and everyone whose real name can be dug up gets fired and is never able to get a job again.
It's win/win for the kikes; either way, some whites who would've been able to reproduce give up on the idea (either from all-encompassing tranny propaganda or from unemployment) and another bit of white culture is gone.

unicorn quest done, corruptions gone. can finally continue deeper to the CoC

currently in mana temple, we'll see if I can beat this

I did it! I beat the game for second time. Here's pastebin if someone is interested: pastebin.com/6kNP5V1e

The mana temple really killed my respect for ADoM.

because of the traps and pp draining enemies? yea I can see how they could be annoying

Holy fuck,the first post

I remember reading that somebody picked up Incursion again, does anyone have a link? I dont remember if it was just bugfixes but thats still cool

also what build of DDA should I play? If I recall correctly in recent ones they added vitamin intake of all fucking things and I cant be arsed

I've become pretty adept at DCSS but recently the game just seems to want to fuck with me. I found a bunch of wights on D FUCKING TWO.

The nutrition thing is turned off by default so don't worry.

I don't understand user

It has mod system where you can balance the game, it automatically has nutrition system off, and you can remove the filthy clothing system if you want to use clothes immediately dropped by zombies.

in the occasional prepper basement
you dont, you just drive up to one of the gas columns or whatever theyre called in burger, and then just use it with a cash card in your pocket, if you have enough moneys on you can empty the gas station completely

just grab the latest one from the launcher
keep in mund that while some shit is off by default, some isnt
if you want to build mad max style vehicles you have to enable the "huge vehicles" mod for example

I kinda wish I could steal gas from them since I got two stations in town. Then again, there's nothing else to use those cash cards on unless you don't want those damn eyebots flying around. And they're pretty good target practice.
And another thing that's getting my nerves is a lack of science labs, and the neighboring town has a fucking tank drone, thank goodness night came in so I didn't get my ass blown to bits.

wew, I havent seen those in a while now since I always take the really bad day delayed start so theres no bolis bots or security systems

bitbucket.org/rmtew/incursion-roguelike/
As near as I can tell, you'd have to compile it yourself to get a version newer than the last release by the original dev.

welcome to having won the game

Looks like after the original author cleaned up the code and licensing for handoff three years ago, there've pretty much just been minor bugfixes, no attempt at new features. But yeah, no binaries have been built since then, and I don't have MSVS.

pardon my ignorance on the subject but why wouldnt they release a compiled version? seems like a drag

Too silly to configure a buildbot server? Especially since it's Windows-exclusive, so there's only two targets (Win32 & Win64).

This actually made me want to try out playing as a Ring. I got up to CL14/down to DL7, but then my Novice Paladin got melted by a giant slug. I'm currently being worn by Robin Hood.

remember kids, when you get an item with "fireball" in it, consider that it might the DnD kind of fireball that started as fantasy replacement for fucking tabletop artillery

I just blew myself up in IVAN trying to clear out a cluster of carnivore plants, I made sure to scoot up a couple of tiles but it clearly wasnt enough

so there wasn't a clearly signed range of explosion? that sounds kind of bad design.altho' considering I like adom, I'm probablu in no position to talk

No, it's just that fireballs in IVAN are way more powerful things named "fireball" in most roguelikes and other CRPGs, where they're precisely 3x3. Sort of like how Marathon's rocket launcher is unlike most period FPSs' "knock down a squad" and more like "clear an entire room". Another quirk of fire in IVAN is its tendency to ignite monsters, items, and your bodyparts for extended periods of time.

Just aggro'd an army of zombie schoolchildren and ran them into the office-tower-turned beehive across the street. The bees are winning.

Im sure it was real in your head

Didn't you fucking see it?

No

are you blind, retarded or both?

I actually did, the 1st pic related was the point I made sure to save But I did forgot to do that yesterday. And I lost five days worth of action. Currently, outside the mall all the zombies have been slain which included few brutes, normal hulk, shocker hulk and a zombie master, currently heading inside.

Wouldnt using a polearm like pipe spear be a better choice?
This is what i did and i managed to clean over 300 zombies over the span of 1-2 seasons and cleaned up a whole city by just kitting zombies with my spear, basically stab, run away one tittle, stab repeat till there are no zombies visible

Question for C:DDA anons
Anybody has some good tips how to set up power system running in my wooden cabin?
I looted some updated solar panels from broken solar car, i also got UPS charging station, should i just make a vehicle "skeleton" outside of the cabin or is there a way to manually place solar panels on the ground and hook them up to still intact cabin furnitures like oven?

I would've done nodachi or zweihander but decided to go with the katana I found. Besides, the armor I have is more than enough to withstand against normal zombies, while I have Mossberg slung to back to deal with worse enemies. That damage I got was from the aforementioned hulk and shocker hulk.

just make frame skeleton, I've never managed to power furniture so you need to find or do a RV kitchen unit if you're worried about cooking.

I guess this is what im gonna do, when it comes to cooking thats not a problem since i have a cooking stove in the cabin that i use for cooking
I was mostly worrying about replenishable power source since i want to get a forge up and running and all that crafting takes a lot of wielder charges

the katana is one of the faster swords, its incredibly useful even as a holdout, especially if you run around in heavy armor

nodachi is a straight upgrade if you ask me

you can either do a pseudo-vehicle outside and one inside and then just swap round storage batteries, or just clear out the cabin and build the entire thing inside with roof and all

Thanks for the tip, i guess this is what im gonna do
But first i gotta do a raid to a 2nd nearby city to lot its library since i need books to farm my fabrication and electronic

Is there another sister-gernre to roguelikes, besides roguelites?

"Roguelite" is a completely meaningless word that exists solely to trick people into buying bad games.

But I prefer Roguelites to Roguelike.

Labels do not affect reality; only the perception of the feeble-minded.

Then why do you give me shit for it and not him?

I assure you, a8e09e, my statements are applied to all of your personalities.

was cdda 0.D release date announced? i heard it's almost finished

Literally just noticed and wanted to delete it.
But to not make you seem insane, I am going to leave it now. I meant him of course.

Fuck, user. I just woke up and had a coffee. Don't bust my balls.

was becoming the author of this thread's demise part of your master plan?
you're the only one dragging this shit in here faggot

"roguelites" is not a sister genre to roguelikes, its a sophistry to increase video game sales by invoking likeness where there is none

then this is not the thread for you

None is a bit much, don't you think? There's at least some similarities.

You're allowing yourself to be controlled by marketing, totally-not-a8e09e. Reject your conditioning and view the world around you objectively.

give me a gf and I do whatever you want

I don't know that your claim that the term "roguelite" has grown from marketing schemes only is altogether true. As people make games with some elements they appreciate of the roguelike genre they have to call it something, and I don't see why the term is particularly bad. It conveys both that it has some elements, but also is a light version, not the real thing. I would think even someone suffering from roguelike purity autism would appreciate that.

What would you call them then, to avoid being "controlled by marketing?"

Why are these hypothetical games labeled solely based on of a few elements they contain that were ostensibly borrowed from a completely different game, instead of what sorts of games they actually are? Do you think a platformer is somehow not a platformer if the player character has an HP bar?

Let me help you with that! What genre would you call the following games, in as few words as possible. Feel free to use a combination of genres if that helps, but keep it simple enough that the average person can understand. No, user, "Shit Game" is not a genre

But why does it trigger you so much? People make all sorts of labels that doesn't ultimately make sense. I mean, RPG games doesn't have any roleplaying elements, but people know what you talk about when you use it.

platformer
undefined strategy
twin stick shooter
now fuck off

I haven't heard of half of those, and I could care less about the other half, so I'm mostly unable to humor you. But I'm quite familiar with Rogue Legacy; it's the game that started the entire "roguelite" shitshow.
I actually played the demo back in the day, so I can say without hesitation that Rogue Legacy is a cheap Castlevania knockoff with absolutely no features borrowed from Rogue whatsoever. At most, you could claim that it copied the meta-progress system common to the Mystery Dungeon family of roguelikes, but that's stretching a point, and the name "Rogue Legacy" was still 100% marketing.

So they're just like Mario than :)
That's cheating and you know it
That's definitely applicable, but there's more to the games than that. In fact they all share a few common themes. If only we had a genre term for games with those themes, such as meta progression, and one shot runs!

I.E. you can't answer the question and/or are to afraid to defend your position, good to know
Ya, in the same way that any FPS is a Doom knockoff, am I right?
Do you honestly believe that even 10% of the people who bought the game had any idea what Rouge is? Your delusional if you think the average person has ever even heard of Rouge or would be sold by the comparison to it.

kek

I've never heard of Rouge before. When did it come out?

What is the best 7DRL and why is it TraumaRL

I don't even know what you are talking about.

What part of "now fuck off" are you too stupid to understand?

Don't be upset, friend, you might need to step away from the computer for a bit! :)

Why are people so angry and call each other faggots all the time here?
It's weird how hostile some anons are. You guys having a bad day? It wasn't always like this.

Because they want you to kill yourself.

If you're new to the whole community surrounding the roguelike genre, allow me to explain. The nature of these (admittedly great) games is such that it attracts the most autismal of autists. These people REEEE like a tendie-deprived robot at the thought of normalfags enjoying their sekrit club. Sort of like if you tell a weeb that anime is "cartoons."

Let me guess. They are also super salty, that their PC can't handle Skyrim and they are forced to play games with literally ASCII characters as graphics.

No. Neetbux buy the best computers, you faggot.

Oh no, user. It got you too.

Now you're just being a faggot, dude.

FTL is for faggots, though.

But I've beaten it multiple times. I think it's time for you to stop posting before you make a fool of yourself.

I knew I was right. Holy shit, user. You just made a fool of yourself.

Wew, look at this master of undefined strategy.

You're a bit late with that warning, user.

And you just made a faggot of yourself. Faggot.

You're right, my strategies cannot be defined. No one is better at FTL than me, I am King Faggot. Still can't beat a real roguelike, though. Closest I've gotten is DoomRL.

More of a fool, true.

You seem to be obsessed with faggots. No matter where you look, you see a faggot.
You know what that means, right?

This website's full of faggots?

Is that any fun? I play cataclysm these days. That's great fun at least.

That you're a faggot? Perhaps the reason why I see faggots everywhere is because there's faggots everywhere?

user … come on.

Fun enough. It's a different kind of roguelike, since the focus is almost entirely on ranged combat and cover, but shotguns are blatantly the best weapon in the game because they're consistently useful the entire time, whereas other weapons take several levels to come into their own. Just expect to be doing more running and gunning than carefully exploring what your inventory does.

Sorry, I'll stop being a faggot my heterosexual friend.

user, no one likes a fag in denial.

play TraumaRL

really makes you think

How's your Ring, user? no homo

Haven't gone back to Posch myself - I feel like the game gets less fun the longer a character lasts. I've been playing a romhack of Final Fantasy V that implements a timed Lufia 2 style Ancient Cave where you find jobs and spells in chests as you progress. Managed to beat the F100 boss fight on my fifth run, but it still took half a fucking age to get there. Thank fuck ASCII roguelikes don't have battle animations.

I got blinded by a trap I was trying to disarm, and Robin Hood seized the opportunity to betray me and steal my staff of illumination. I recruited a random bandit, tracked Robin Hood down, and firebolted him to death. Got my staff back, at least.
Afterward, I tried looking around the wilderness for a better ringbearer, but I ended up barely escaping from Grishnakh's orc warband. I eventually ended up with Dailai Dongzhu, Captain of Southerings. He's worked out pretty well so far. I'd rather not use a unique (they're much more willful than random mooks, as I understand it), but I don't really see any alternative at the moment.

Whoever thought Shady zombies were a good idea should be shot into the sun. Single biggest nuisance they've ever added to DDA.

Are there any other good "barebones" roguelikes people recommend? Some examples of the kind of thing I'm looking for are Brogue, Infra Arcana and Sil, I already know about Cogmind since it kind of fits.

Yeah, I'd avoid uniques personally. Maybe just go to Camelot and glitter a few times till a Knight Archer or a Paladin show up. Then you can upgrade that by fighting in the Orc Caves. Careful though, Camelot tempts you with sexy uniques like Mordred or Morganna La Fey. I think I lost at least two earlier games to those fuckers casting me off and mana bolting me.

Got any cool powers yet? Keep an eye open for Magic Arrow activations on Black Market jewellery, that spell will carry you through the early-mid game. Breathe Acid is probably going to be your other go-to power, if you can get it.

They're the ones that can see at night, right? Personally I don't mind them, they go down pretty easily.

Dogs are my current nemeses - I've been trying RBD/Tweaker, and even fucking seeing a rottweiler or skeletal dog is pretty much a gameover. Though I'm still dying even without the dogs. Mostly I have just about enough time to raid a couple of houses and put on some warm clothes before withdrawal hits and I turn into some sort of constantly-vomiting geriatric who can't walk two steps without falling over and breaking a hip. Just gotta hope a working car spawns right outside my burning house, I guess.

Earthquake and Breathe Poison are all I've gotten so far, and it'll be a while before I can use them. Thanks for the tips; I'll make a note to watch for a Magic Arrow item, and I'll check out Camelot right away since I actually need a new ringbearer again: I ran into an undead horde, which normally wouldn't have been a problem, but when I tried to heal Dailai my wand of heal monster blew up in my face, and when his health dropped below ~1/3 he threw me off and read a scroll of teleport level.
I'm not sure why the wand exploded. I understand that cursed devices can explode when used, and I got hit with "it points at you and curses" multiple times before it happened, and I've had to uncurse myself several times now so I know those curses can affect equipment, but can they also affect unequippable inventory items (which, as near as I can tell, can't be uncursed)? Also, is there any way to become immune to item cursing, or do PosChengband players just keep a stack of remove curse scrolls handy at all times?

Certain wands (and rods? Not sure) are cursed when generated, but you only find that out by *ID*ing them. They have a 1/6 chance to blow up each time they're used. I don't think the 'points at you and curses' kind can affect your wands.

As for the becoming immune - no, but it's resisted by your saving throw. So as your level and Wisdom rise, you shouldn't have to worry about it too much. But early game it's not a bad idea to carry a couple of remove curse scrolls around. Generally though, the stuff throwing curses around in the early game is pretty fragile, so y'know, blast it before it blasts you. And by the time you're high level you'll have found the Remove Curse active power anyway.

Shame about your wand of heal monster. But I'm surprised you didn't have more wands in that earlier screenshot you posted - you are keeping wands of light (for orc packs/caves), and checking the Black Market for half-decent offensive wands, right? Because otherwise with the crappy offenses of a Ring early game, you're going to be making slow progress. A popular, if slightly cheesy tactic, is to save up a bit of cash, buy a wand of lightning bolt or something similar (Water Bolt is great for this if you can get it), and then use potions of Resist Heat/Cold to take out a young dragon in the wilderness tiles on the edge of the mountains SE of Outpost. You get a nice bump of XP and a bit of loot, and you can quickly work your way up to killing the mature ones as well.

Anyway, I'll quit handing out unsolicited advice, but good luck and let us know how you get on with your new bearer.

They do but it feels like there's a pack of them around every corner and in every house I try to loot. My usual early-game night raids are feeling pretty pointless because they always see me go into every building and start smashing the windows while I'm trying to get starting gear together.
I came back to the game after not playing it for a couple years and these faggots are the single thing killing my desire to continue.

Shady zombies are pretty fucking annoying, especially when you've just started the game and have no points in dodging or melee skills, and you don't know if they're still following you or how many there are. Sometimes it's just one, or worst cases, a pack of them. On good note, they're blind in daylight so you can pass them easily.

On another note, cleaned up the mall but it was a pretty disappointing trip. Lost one of my crew to acid zombies and there was simply nothing important, no new books or clothing. Now going for scouting trip to west, found a national guard camp. There was some guy guarding it, with SCAR-H. Now I really need some big guns to deal with them.

Camelot ended up being pretty dangerous. Even just reaching the entrance was difficult. I was barely able to escape from a band of forest trolls, and when I recalled out of there a wyvern came with me, but I was able to kill it, and after another couple of attempts I eventually made it inside Camelot proper.
I recruited the Variant Maintainer, but his armies of software bugs were more trouble than they were worth. Then I picked up a priest, but he got squished by an auto-roller. Finally, I found a paladin, grabbed him, and got out of there pronto.
Afterward, I took him on a trial run through the Stronghold dungeon (steamrolling Dailai when he showed up), and then I decided to travel to Morivant. Halfway there, I got ambushed by an army of orcs led by Golfimbul, the Hill Orc Chief. I had a big running battle with them and managed to kill them all.
Between the ring of protection Golfimbul dropped and the amulet of the magi I bought in Morivant, I now have Free Action, See Invisible, and the Summon Dragon spell (which I won't be able to cast anytime soon). Also, I *ID*ed my replacement wand of heal monster, and if this thing blows up I don't know what the heck, because I don't see anything there about it being cursed.

Several important lessons have been learned. Future games will go more smoothly.

Unlucky. Yeah, as a Ring, you'll be teleporting a lot. I guess that's why what you mentioned about having trouble escaping from wilderness encounters seemed strange to me; when you're toting around 30 Teleport scrolls AND a staff of it, you generally feel fairly safe above ground.

Anyway, nice to see other people playing as the more interesting races. I might dive my guy down to the bottom of Angband soon - though to be honest, getting the Countess at D50 for random quest was difficult enough. Even through the magic resistance buff, a dozen Elder Vampires spamming Darkness Ball at me hit pretty hard (though ironically one of them dropped a nice ring and I now have Darkness Storm myself as my most damaging spell).

Which version are you playing? In 6.0.0 the quests were redone, and the Inn quest now rewards like 6 pieces of jewellery, which is great for a Ring. But in 7.0.0 chris fucked up how FA and SI work (FA no longer makes you immune to paralysis), so I'm sticking with the previous version.

7.0.1. Downloaded it ages ago on a whim but didn't mess with it much until now. I had no idea it had problems like that; glad I didn't have to find out the hard way. I'll switch to an older version, or to one of the forks. pseudoelliposchengband looks alright.

CastlevaniaRL.

AliensRL.

Someone made a troll account on their forums claiming to be a mudslime who wanted to play the game but they were offended by the sword of jihad. Devs immediately changed the name to the zealot's sword to avoid angry goatfuckers knocking down their door. The troll account then posted that their imam told them they can't play the game anyway and they never posted again. Criticism of the decision led to forum accounts being banned.

No, they changed it because they're fucking soyboys. Acting as if they were motivated by fear (or at least, fear of anything other than Tumblr outrage) is giving them too much credit. The troll poster was just a convenient excuse. They do it for the same reason SJWs do anything; to try to control what people think.

Not like the Stone Soup devs are the only ones, either. Seems to be sadly endemic - look at CDDA for example. The main dev is cucked to all hell. He threw a shitfit because someone used the term 'pussy' on his forums, banned some guys, and then left the thread open because he said he was using it as a lightning rod to find and ban wrongthinkers.

It's some weird thing where he wants to make it remain a threat all game, so it reduces the chances of paralysis happening or something and it can stack on itself; but as far as I'm aware immunity is not possible.

daily reminder that CDDA has an isometric mode

This is prime example why i don't play video games recommended on 8/v/

Since DCSS is constantly removing things with each new release, what would be the best build to play right now? 0.10/0.11

Also which version allowed you to constrict with nagas from level 1? I remember taking chei and steamrolling everything up to pandemonium until I got b& to abyss and dogpiled by a bunch of mutation and drain spamming faggots

This is prime example why post-birth abortion should be legalized.

Is the game any good though ? Is there an ending or is it just a survival gheymu.

True story

o-okay I'll just play vine st-

not
4 different words are not as accessible goy, we gotta make it more accessible

Extra Hearty Edition, as I linked earlier, it's a custom build of 0.14 with most of the stuff cut in intervening versions added back. Note there are no binaries, so you'll have to compile it yourself.
0.10, 'sez so on the wiki. Coincidentally, that version was when the cuts started.

Go into monsters.json and edit their vision range to half of what it is right now. I may have also edited their health to be 20% less because screw them
I swear kevin is slowly fucking up things while also playing the victim. Drove away 2 of the biggest contributors so far….

I would recommend playing the Coolthulhu's Bright Nights edition, it's back from last Nov with some bugs still present but at least it's not as shit as the latest experimental

Welcome, Sigmund.
Will you prevail where others failed? Will you find the Orb of Sigmund?

Sigmund isn't even that tough anymore, though. I've only lost maybe 5 guys to him out of a couple hundred.

I'd be a lot more down to play it if I didn't have to go and hunt down the libraries it requires to compile myself, because the git that hosts the original libs is dead.

Pick your poison out of one of those then.

Isn't that a mod? I'm playing an experimental from a couple of weeks ago and it pops up as one of the Core Content Packs. From what you say I assume it's no longer being worked on.

So, has Kevin finally driven off Coolthulhu then? HIs autism is slowly strangling the life out of that fucking game. No wonder his wife's an alcoholic.

DCSS code looks fairly well organized and easy to modify. Who'd be up for an Extra \v\hearty Edition?

I would pay for a (good) MoonMan roguelike

It's a mod, but then it also became a fork that Coolthulhu made once kevin introduced new requirements for installing bionics. Coolthulhu disappeared back in December, only to post recently (a week or so ago) that he's retiring for a while due to work. Honestly, fighting with kevin is a job in its own, I understand his desire to take a break

github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/releases

0.8.5 is the latest C:BN

What exactly did you have in mind?

the only times my characters can end up dying to siggy is if he casts invis before i see him in los

Bringing back the old content first of all, though I'd need a comprehensive list of all that was removed preferably

You're just gonna bring back everything that was ever cut?

Life is unfair

That's the idea

crawl.chaosforge.org/Category:Crawl_Versions

Sounds solid my dude. I've been attempting to compile .14 version recently and been thinking about continuing the fork of extra hearty edition, but the compiler keeps throwing errors at me, for some reason. Once I manage to fix those, I'll upload the source and the compiled extra hearty edition here, I think.

That'd be good. I thought extra hearty was missing a shitton of defunct libraries now though?

I found them. They moved from gitorious to github, you just gotta search for them then manually edit the .gitmodules when getting the lib requests. You can find them on this page: github.com/crawl

I've been playing tangledeep. Its pretty fun.

I vaguely remember when I compiled it a few years ago using msysGit, there was some sort of character substitution issue (carriage returns, tabs, or something), and I had to search/replace all of the source files before it worked.

remove the new shitskin sprites for the generic human enemy, making him only white again.
and make all the named enemies that were turned into trannies male again.
otherwise i wont play your sjw mod either

Found the brainlet

the second part still affects graphicless version.
so does the changing the item names and descriptions that were "racist" like shaolin ring.

also that image you posted is very reddit, good way to make people not want to play DF. reminds me of how i'll never ever watch jojo because of the fanbase doing shit like that

If the fanbase/author/culture/whatever can get in the way of your impression of the thing itself, you're acting like a hipster. Kill the hipster inside you.

Honestly, the descriptions in DCSS (especially the dry, pretentious quotes) have always felt bland and soulless, even aside from the nibbles SJW bikeshedders took out. If Nethack or ADOM's prose were H2G2 & Pratchett, DCSS's are post 2012-TV Tropes.

You're probably right - my compiler keeps throwing up errors for the most retarded reasons. Missing semi colons where semi colons should very obviously not be and things like that.

We should add our own, ironically pretentious quotes.

If you want maximum triggering potential, use random Mein Kampf quotes.

Attached: bread_ration.jpg (767x209, 82.87K)

To be honest i dont know what to do anymore in the game, can anybody throw some interesting ideas?
I wanted to go to the nearest refugee camp but it was revealed so far away that it would take me year in game to reach it

Attached: The Cdda experience.png (308x1000, 84.29K)

Find a power armor helmet, armor, and rig
explore labs to find mutabooks, rare bionics
Make a diamond weapon
Build a house with multiple floors working lights a bed working fridge and crafting room
go do the main quest and finish the farm questline.

This might be a good idea although im going around with Ornate Gothic Armour as of now
Gotta do that, i will also raid a shipwreck with a plutonium generator and disassemble it soon

What is the main quest? Sorry im pretty new to CDDA and thats my first successful run
I was also thinking about getting a laser rifle but i cant find a turret to dissemble anywhere

In the survival shelter you start in you can use the computer and it will give you a waypoint on the map to go to. This will have static NPCs that will give you missions.
DONT DO THE QUESTS FOR THE GOVERNMENT AGENT. Those are bugged and can have someone with a uzi spawn right in front of you and splat you in two turns.

Oh, i know about this, i tried it but each time game spawned/revealed this place a good year if not more away from my place, even in my car
Its virtually impossible to get there so i gave up
I wonder if there is some way to spawn it manually on the map?

Not sure, but you did ask for something to do. Go on a roadtrip.

I could pump out a few reasons for why it's a terrible game but I'm tired right now. Just take my word for it unless you wanna hear autism

Hi I'm retarded how do I do that

github.com/tmhedberg/dcss-ehe/blob/master/crawl-ref/INSTALL.txt

I think I beat C:DDA
Once you get a full power armor of any kind (I found the Mk. II. Light version) and have plenty of bionic power and/or a method to generate power on the fly, you're invincible. I beat up hulks bare-handed using Zui Quan and heal the odd points of damage with repair nanobots.
At this point I can raid any lab any time, laugh in the face of drone tanks, the only reason I haven't done the Necropolis is because I haven't found one yet.

Is this it? I could impose rules like not using the power armor, but my character is still rather invincible without it

Afraid so user. The game's stagnated for the past four years or so; rather than any endgame content they're just adding stupid shit like the vitamin system and more cooking recipes to add onto the six hundred they already have (of which most people will craft perhaps a dozen at most throughout all their games).

Try a mod if you want to extend the life of it a bit.

Well fuck me. I might have to make a fork of the game and start working on it myself.
Noticed that. Comparing to the latest stable 0.C, the experimental is just a bloated piece of shit with dozens of different items in every group that all do microscopically different damage/hunger/thirst/whatever. Prime example are weapons: I spent an hour sorting through all the guns I've looted because all had different ammunition and all had microscopically different spread and damage. And I still can't settle with one weapon so I have a 250L cargo full of that shit

Attached: isee.png (1089x667, 278.16K)

That's just it, dead babies and porn mags are the deepest lore. Now go make youtube videos about it and make 100k a year doing it.

It was interesting at first, but once you get to infinite summon spamming enemies it's just too much bullshit to want to deal with.

fuck. you're right.

Attached: 47d2f10c9cf4eb8a21ec95b8949521ce63bd645acf3d23adb38036f57747c6ae.png (800x720, 10.42K)

The OP lists Ascention mod my dude.
Its a total conversion of sorts that gives you an endgoal. Its also unreasonably hard because it introduces doom monsters and a bunch of magical shit into the mainline game.

PosChengband? Honestly, the whole Angband line is flawed in that way. The best iterations have been the ones that have changed the most drastically, like Sil and ToME4.

Currently playing with just PRM, and I've reached that point where I craft a deathmobile, clear out a couple of nearby towns, and then get all demotivated to continue. No Doom shit appears to have spawned anywhere near me, and I'm mostly immune to regular zombies with a light survivor suit + platemail combo (the low encumbrance only gives me -1 Dodge, too), but electric shit still fucks me up.

Is there any point to actually going and seeking out Doom shit? I'd probably die doing it, but honestly I'm spending more time carrying bleach and canned food from my car to my hideout than I am fighting shit, so that'd be fine.

Also, can anyone list the best (top five or so) rifles? I've found a bunch in my travels, but much like , I don't have the autism required to check for minute dispersion differences with every fucking kind of ammo etc etc. I just want a ranged alternative to my OP steel spear where I'm not unknowingly gimping myself.

if youre looking for trouble just travel around until you find it, doom shit is 50% ranged energy weapons and 50% tank, youll need a full blown power armor set and some serious firepower to remove demon

most of the guns are fluff, the rifles I found were most useful were those you can craft yourself, pneumatic salt rifle for raw DPS, pneumatic bolt driver for damage per shot, and makeshift .50 for the fact that you saw it down from the browning M2

The pneumatic rifles outdamage regular ones? What the fuck? I thought their main attraction was that they were silent - which seemed retarded to me, as by the point that I can make a pneumatic bolt driver I don't exactly have to worry about sneaking anywhere.

I do have an M2 though, so that's a possibility.

no they're both worse than regular rifles generally due to slow manual reload
BUT
pneumatic salt rifle can magdump for insane instant DPS enough to down a hulk, making it a defacto 3 shot shotgun on full auto, and has essentially unlimited ammo supply
bolt driver has less DPS but with steel bolts it one shots most zambies and has piercing potential as opposed to the salt ruffle, and still has unlimited ammo supply

if you have access to unlimited gunpowder supply instead, just pick your raifu and stick with it

how'd i miss thiss

Got out of a lab start as a technician.
It's kind of weird how you can swipe a card on the same reader inside or out.

I never figured out how to get out of the prison, the turrets just fuck you up.

Attached: fuck my life.jpg (698x536, 139.57K)

Capeshit at its finest.

Find a piece of furniture and push it in front of you so the turrets can't see you

It's his past self that the red headed menace brainwashed with her psychic powers into being gay. But Marvel tried to play it off as "teehee she just forced him out of le closet" when we all know Jean fucking broke his brain.

Attached: Scott.jpg (603x393, 34.75K)

Any suggestions as to Roguelikes I should try? Of the ones I've tried I enjoy:
Brogue
Caves of Qud
Infra Arcana
Cogmind
Sil
I didn't enjoy:
ADOM
TOME

Can't articulate entirely why I didn't enjoy them, but TOME just felt terrible, I had to jump through hoops to get it down to ASCII and then I was just getting mobbed by enemies from the start. It feels more like a hack and slash with a roguelike skin, dropped it within 10 minutes. I wanted to like ADOM but it was just uninteresting. Generally I find exploring levels engaging but it just felt like a chore in ADOM and the level geometry is terrible.

Attached: 6cfc49202ba7662e2f5cd67fa3b488dbf6d6d9c1f31248a200d84bb494790737_12.jpg (1073x1198, 131.71K)

Dmanhad my best run in brogue so far. after grapping the amulet of yendor, made it to D20 before I was killed by dragon.funnily, score wise the run didn't make it to top 30

The Ground Gives Way?

apparently I can't type.

Really? I'm no fan of ADOM at all but I always thought the level generation was one of the better parts, for its time at least.

As for recommendations - presumably you've tried DCSS and Cataclysm:DDA? From what you've said, you sound like you prefer 'quirky' roguelikes, so maybe DRL (DoomRL)? Its focus on ranged combat is fairly unique. Or Unreal World, I guess, but it's not my thing.

As an adom fan, honestly the level generation in normal levels feels kinda boringalso, I dislike how many of the more interesting places out right ban teleportation, because reasons

LOL. Did he reject her smelly advances or something?

If you like quirky roguelikes, and don't mind mandatory tiles, you might like IVAN or Elona.

Are there any nice tilesets for DF? I don't necessarily want actual pictures, and as far as I've seen all of the non-ascii tilesets for DF suck. Something like an expanded ASCII tileset that was more readable would be nice though.

TGGW seems pretty cool, thanks.

Have those on my to-play list, was mainly looking for stuff that might not be as well known. I'm not really sure how to approach DCCS though as apparently every update removes stuff and everyone has their own favorite versions to play on.

Fuck, which do I do first?

Elona+

OH wait, did that too.
stuck on last floor of lesimas, send help
I want something fantasy but don't know which to choose.

anyone here still playing pixel dungeon?

Attached: image.png (1152x648, 494.49K)

PD is a puzzle game pretending to be a roguelike (not quite to the same extent as say, DRoD, though), in much the same way Massive Assault is a puzzle game pretending to be a strategy game. Still a decent game, pixelshit aside.

DF adventure mode
ToME
ADoM

Attached: dwarf_fortress_by_raul351-d4au7ub.jpg (365x609, 53.19K)

Also, speaking of ToME
Yall nibbas seen the new trailer?

Of everything I played I enjoy Brogue the most, it's fairly simple and has a great UI, it's very readable due to the low amount of monsters and items and has lovely ASCII lighting effects. But of course most importantly it's a great roguelike.

Has DF adventure mode gotten any important updates in the last year? Also, is there any trick to finding entrances to the caverns?

Can someone give a quick summary of how the fuck the aim speed/sights/dispersion shit works in Cataclysm? Maybe I'm retarded but it seems needlessly complicated. I've seen allusions on the forum implying that a lower aim speed is better (and that it would better be referred to as aim cost), but in that case why does my pistol aim slower than a huge fucking rifle with a sniper scope?

I just want to know what mods to put on my RM88 battle rifle. I've already got a scope - would a rail laser sight or offset iron sights improve things in any way?

Tried to add tuned mechanism, but the fucking immutable 45 dispersion minimum just went lolno at me. Because fuck me for wanting to actually shoot things from further away than the length of a house, right?

Going to give it a shot because you gave me a description. I'll let you know how I die first.

I have no idea. I just play the game like I am actually inserted in the gameworld and think about what I would do in any given situation.

Meh, I died in the end. Playing with PRM and walked into a room with a cyborg guard in it, who proceeded to one-shot me from full health through my armour with its fusion blaster.

Don't think I'll include PRM next time I play Cata, doesn't seem particularly well-balanced all things considered.

After many such deaths I learned the hard way that peeking is your friend

Sil

A Bastard Sword (Defender) (-2,3d3) [+2]
It cannot be harmed by the elements. It does extra damage when wielded with both hands.

What does this Defender thing do? Is it the thing that provides +2?

RTFM, round brackets are offense, square brackets are defense: (accuracy, damage) [evasion, damage reduction]. So in this case that weapon has a penalty of 2 to accuracy, deals 3d3 damage but provides an evasion bonus of 2.

I know that. The question is does why is the word Defender there and what does it add?

wew

Yeah, Defender is the thing (an 'ego' in Angband terminology) that provides [+2]. I forget whether it doubles the existing bonus or just adds +1, though I suppose it'd only be relevant on a Quarterstaff (Defender). Anyway, they're pretty nice to use if you've got Parry.