Load up the Shadow of the Colossus remake

What music tracks can actually affect you instead of just being background noise you find catchy?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!LAQESBzC!bGRrR0bN2w88eZWdzoTIdcc1dOgxKIPFrM820deMuFw
psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List
hooktube.com/watch?v=M4uR_fEmy1c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Kill yourself

Okay nameless stranger whos upset on the internet. I will care what you think. Because you were nice about it.

Shill post

I don't know. The remake actually updates the graphics, unlike the HD remaster they released last time. It also runs better so I think it's safe to say this is the definitive version now.

So why the fuck should we care what you have to say, obvious shill?

Is SotC better on PS2, PS3, or PS4?

counterpost to this poster.

The remake was an excellent idea. I've never played Shadow of the Colossus and instead of having to suffer through those bad graphics I get to enjoy this classic game remastered. It was made well, it rated highly, and as a result it's going to sell well. It's good business, and Sony is headed in the right direction with moves like this.

FUCK YOU FOR YOUR SHITTY TASTES YOU DUMB STUPID PIECE OF SHIT, NOW ENJOY THE MOST COMFY PICTURE CURRENTLY ON THIS FUCKING BOARD

If you can play it on PS2, then I imagine original hardware will always trump remakes. However, if you have no PS2 and only PC you can try emulating but I don't think it emulates well at all. That leaves PS3 or 4. 3 has the HD remaster which is just the base game with some texture upscaling and a stable framerate. Not sure what the new PS4 version does exactly.

Did you play Shadow of the Colossus on a PS2?

PS3 is the worst because it is actually bugged and the PS4 version fixes it. They took a PAL build and reverse engineered it but altered both stamina and physics reactions to brute force them in a way that involved 30fps animations from the pal version on 25fps NTSC versions. If you have ever seen an american show on a uk tv show and seems 'off' like everything is in fast forward but still in real time it led to a similar effect in the background.
Basically if you stood up on a stable, flat part of a colossi you world instantly start tumbling like the boss did a barrel roll and your stamina depleted much faster. This then of course when translated from this format again lead to it being fucked up.

So you have the PS2 version and the PS4 version that actually behave the way as intended and the ps3 rushed out HD 'remaster' that like most games with the 'remaster' label are shittier versions with upressed textures.

Monkey Colossi never ever.

You're just as garbage as this remake.

Is the OST remastered? Does the remake add any new content?

go for the PS2, they changed the atmosphere/art on PS4 so its shit.

OST is remastered but they don't add anything. It is the same game with updated graphics and none of the PS3 versions jank.
Though there is a nod to the autism of Nomad_Colossus at the behest of the original team.

The 'atmosphere' was fake HDR using texture warping on light sources to try and run bloom on emotion hardware. It looked nice but like silent hills fog it was a technical limitation leading to a look. They never intended it to look like that.

Enough with the goddamn shilling, not buying your shitty remake like swallowed up

how to get cucked by companies 101

Sadly not. PS3 only.

Its bad but it might show there is demand for more like SotC.

Thats not how the board works friend. Any mention of a console exclusive in its month of release is always going to be 50% "fuck off shill" posts. Its the way its always been and always will be.

Reminder that the reason why this game got made was because they're trying to hype the dead-on-arrival movie.

That's disappointing.

The acoustic guitar that kicked up in Undertale just before Asgore got me like a bitch. I was crying. Also the fight with Asgore himself

Yes, it was. They had the opportunity to make the game according to the original plan that was too big for PS2 (just like ICO was too big for PS1). Too bad they totally squandered it and just rereleased the same game. I hope the "this game is ART" crowd is happy for what they wrought.

Why is Sony pictures still alive.

Textbook shill
Here's the music that affects me, now go suck a massive dick OP.

there is no use in dwelling on the past if there is all this tech and talent to produce something new and original

Why did they bother remaking a bad game?

Motherfucker if you are going to post b8 at least play the games and know which versions are which. Fucking shameful tactics there m80

The sound track for SMT:SJ overtime became okay to absolutely god damn hypnotically good. The first time you hear these songs it sounds good, but over the course of hours and hours of playing this game it grows on you and whenever I started to hear it then I would thing, OH FUCK, SHITS GOING DOWN. I especially felt that way too with the chaos boss's theme, although you only hear it once, luckily I took the time to savor it.
That game was wonderful and perfect the way it was, fuck Strange Journey Redux.

Fuck off same Fag

Most of you guys may not give a shit but this song hit me real good when I reached it in the game.

1/10

That's precisely what I do nigger and I wouldn't trade that sleeved box for anything.
I'm just making you aware that you're shitting on the PS3 version and yet are shilling for this remake.

This came out already, well shoot. Between the, the Last Guardian, and Bloodborne I think I'm about ready to get a PS4. The Yakuaza games are a nice bonus. Should I go for a pro or just track down a cheap, used original?

Hot damn, it's like you're retarded or something.

I fucking hope.

The PS3 version doesnt fucking work right dumbass. Thats why its the worst version. It is fundamentally broken.

Ha ha
Yeah, w-worth the weight…

wut? I have it and it seems to work alright. Was there something they fucked up during the port?

It looks okay and the fact they didn't take the cheap route of killing the cute dog griffin at the end makes me more inclined to purchase it.

see

u gay

ahhh, I didn't even notice. Well shit, I guess at least I have HD Ico. Looking on the facebook market now for a ps4 so I can play this.

the nigga did this in a trial version of fl and it still means more to me then any symphony

I can't sexualize the colossi man, it's just not right.

HD Ico is fine. In fact its a much better version. Of all the HD remasters of the period the only standouts were Shadow for Being technically broken, MGS3 having parts of the story and entire cutscenes removed because Konami 'wanted the game to be faster for modern gamers' and Silent Hill HD collection.

We don't talk about Silent Hill HD collection.

You should wait until it's completely hacked and pay 200 for a Pro second hand because mid gen upgrades are extreme kikery

And the PS4 version looks like absolute shit which is just a big of an issue as your your fucking nitpick.

Anyone who's thinking of getting the remake shouldnt. The remake ruins the entire atmosphere of the original rather than some areas feeling desolate and vibrant they come off as generic and boring. Some sound effects and visual effects were cut from the game and replaced with more cinematic sounds. Why did they remove the fucking static on the screen when you paused? The physics dont feel like they originally did so you cant do the fun tricks you could do on the ps2 version by understanding how the games gravity works. Just emulate or buy a ps2 and the game faggots.

vs

I haven't heard this before.

Bet you can't even fall in the lake of the 2nd Colossi just right and survive.

Yes, the remake is perfect in every way user and you're totally not a shill.

You guys are killing the industry

The remake is better in every way, the input lag is fixed, the stable framerate and optional 60fps is fantastic, and the physics are tweaked to make flings and tricks much more accessible and enjoyable. The biggest problem is they botched one of the most important parts of the story, Wanders physical corruption is much less apparent, the only obvious visual changes are his outfit and hair getting dirtier. His actual emoting during colossus battles is also minimized and I think it's a shame that he comes off as so straight faced now. In the PS2/PS3 versions he'd look back at the colossi on his tail, express panic in his face.

I also find the corrupting tentacles to be less impactful in the remake. Otherwise it's the best playing version but the failure to integrate these elements into the game effectively is a huge mistake. It's worth getting because its cheap and it's such a great game, but I wish I could say it's the end all be all version as well. Maybe if enough fuss is made they'll address it.

Gas all Graphicfags

No matter how far you fall you dont take damage from dropping in water you idiot. Well maybe you do on the ps3 or ps4 but I only ever played and beat it on ps2

its better to play the original, just like god intended.

you don't take damage falling into water in any version unless you land in one of the death zones in some bodies of water that you aren't meant to be swimming in any way. The optional collectible coins in the remake are pretty great too. I found myself exploring many places I'd be interested in but otherwise had no reason to investigate in the ps2/ps3 versions.

What I find interesting about the remake is how the engine still feels exactly like the PS2 engine, so much so that I'm not certain if it's a true remake but rather a significant overhaul over the engine. Sort of like how the source engine is technically just an overhaul of the goldsrc engine.

nah, play whatever you want to. They're both good. PS2 has its share of problems that the PS4 version is far better with.

Honestly I explored out of curiosity and because the world was so peacfull and serene. Also, you dont need coins. Your collectables are fruits from trees and white tail lizzards. If you find everything you can even make it to the top of the main tower, (or so ive heard)

Bridge on the right of the exit, in the canyon where the 2nd Colossus is, there's a pond there, I'd usually jump from the bridge to it so I wouldn't take a shitton of time to go down the ramp.
Insta death if you fell too far in, insta death or a shitton of lost health if you landed too far out, but there was a sweet spot where you didn't get neither.

PS2 version

What are your favorite Colossus tracks? I've found A Messenger From Behind to be a little underrated. I wonder if the Jaws theme was an inspiration for it, but it nails that "you're being chased by something much, much bigger than you." feeling with the first notes. I love the fight too, how it involves Agro, and it being one of those fights that has Wander yelling for Agro in a terrified tone.

They were additional incentive added under request by Ueda. I think they're a nice addition and they gave me a bit of extra push beyond just "take in the scenery" or "hope there's a lizard." Also you don't need a maxed stamina bar to climb the temple, it just helps if you aren't great at climbing. To me it was one of those things that when I played back in 2006 I wanted to explore, but the desire to play new games was more interesting than seeing that far off cliffside and checking the scenery by the beach and watching the tumbling waves.

You dont hope there is a lizzard. There always is one next to the saving statues and sometimes they have a white tail. The white tail increases your stamina so its actually very important if you want to be able to hold a collosus for a long time.

Good taste.

Not all lizards are at shrines, some are at points of interest in the world, some aren't. I don't think you understand, I 100% completed the game on normal, normal+, hard, and hard+. SotC is literally one of my all time favorite games and I consider it an absolute masterpiece in design, pacing, direction, mechanics, and its system. It is unparalleled in many ways.

Whats your favorite colossus encounter?

Its up there for me too. What compounds the feeling is the game intersected with a part of my life where I was more emotionally involved with the world around me and less burnt out. I don't think I could enjoy it the same way I used too.

Sure smells like kikery alright

Also, I'm uploading the SotC soundtrack if you don't have it. Feel free to download it here:
mega.nz/#!LAQESBzC!bGRrR0bN2w88eZWdzoTIdcc1dOgxKIPFrM820deMuFw

I played it just as I was getting into game design around 2007, I took a great interest in everything Team ICO then, and lucky me a lot of stuff was already being discovered in the games actively at the time. I was there when the Team ICO site had a mossy stone hole with a chain in it, there fore the last guardian reveal, and I too think it was crucial for me at that time in my life.

I'm happy I still look up to it today with as much fondness as I do. Unlike a lot of other games I grew up with at the time, I haven't really found many flaws in SotC.

Avion and Celosia. There's something about going upside down in a video game, right? When I first played ratchet and clank 2 the gravity shifting boots/floors were really cool, and having the game world rotate around you was a very interesting feeling, as with the moon levels in that game. It always seemed incredible to me in 3D games how for the most part you were still locked to the floor, and it made them feel more realistic in that way. So when you're fighting Avion and wander is locked on in the camera upright, but the bird and the world is rotating around you, it gives you this remarkable feeling that so few games even attempt to do. And they mostly attempt it with static game worlds, not with incredibly detailed and complex models clinging to each other.

oy vey

Do people actually think this? Am I just old and used to old graphics?

It depend on the graphics honestly. SotC, Deus Ex, most source games, and a lot more have aged rather well, but some shit just gives me the eye cancer.

Some source games. There's been a lot of downgrades on the games assets since 2008 for some reason. Valve stopped using the specular maps, normals, etc. They nerfed the orangebox games, mostly tf2, but since 2008 they've all looked really bland. I think CSGO looks dramatically worse than CSS and it all comes down to how plain the texture work is. Before then however, hl2, ep1, css, dods, all held up really well and ep2 looks amazing.

The mega just keeps loading the page infinitely, wat do?

I don't know, I just tried it with two different browsers and they both worked. Consider using their extension.

It unfucked itself somehow, I guess my internet just borked.

I used to send in those customer feedback cards in old ps1 era games complaining about the graphics. Somewhere around the ps3 era, graphics became good enough where I no longer care about graphics and the ps4 didn't seem such a leap.

There's been a lot of games on the PS4 that have really impressed me with their visuals.

I want "muhgraphic" fags to get out of here.

stop taking the bait you retards

Shame. The people who made it did a great job on the Uncharted collection.

It does run at 60fps, unfortunately you need a ps4 pro for it. Playing it in 60fps was a great experience. I'd have been happy for a 720p60 option on base hardware even, just so more people can play the game so smoothly.

This thread is absolute cancer

Ok so they did it on purpose.

I don't know the specifics of it. I imagine the stock system wouldn't have been able to hit 1080p60, and I believe 1080p is a requirement for all PS4 games as a minimum resolution, so maybe they couldn't target it on base hardware.

This. Hardcore, makes me feel every time.
Some tracks that always get to me are the ones from OneShot and Undertale, but I won't stir that pot here. Morrowind tracks also sometimes give me the chills, but I know that's more just nostalgia than the tracks being emotional. They're good, but they're not particularly timed to anything other than fight/not fight.

Literally puts me to sleep. Fuck off fag.

Rereleases get fobbed off to inferior and/or chinese studios 99% of the time

Soyboys itt btfo.

I can't believe how shit modern music is.

Hey look, more music that doesn't suck shit.

funkiest vidya song of all time? maybe. that fucking slap bass

Obvious shill is obvious, hope you get paid for this.

I like the atmosphere of the remake. It's not like they put SweetFX or ENB mods over it.

Models aren't really "content".
There were no proper finished animations/coding/map spaces to just add them back in.

The best soundtrack I've ever heard. Honorary mentions to SotC and P3.

the new sotc is definitely beautiful. but i feel like they made it too easy. between the map and the docile colossi, i feel like they decided to let the player breeze thru them rather than risk someone feeling frustrated. That and all the freaking "talking" they added. Which is really a shame, because that sense of triumph over each one is what endeared me to this title - well that, plus the music and the silent story telling, these are the things that made this game so special.

It looks real bad. The colossi used to look real, proper rock and grass. Now it's giant furries.

The urge to suck dicks isn't an emotion, OP. Also you sound like a tremendous fruit.

Keep imagining bro, because when you see the actual 10 fps you get in-game, all that 'perfect gaym' memes you got from reddit will evaporate. Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 deserved all the criticism it got.

What criticism did it got? bro

I bet you think Silent Hill 2/3 look bad, too.

SNORE

I mean, if the PS3 version is that bad, can't you just emulate PS2 version on CFW PS3?
From the report here, it's playable psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List

Which means that you paid for a re-release of an old game. It makes you an idiot.

It is better when you don't pay to have it. "Get for free without giving money to Sony" is the best version.

Not when we can subvert the marketing and make normalfags stop buying, impotent soyboy.

This game has an amazing and underrated soundtrack. All songs are great.

or
No matter how shit it is, I will always dragon install when given the opportunity because of Ride the Fire.

PS2 version also run like ass, so theres that

hooktube.com/watch?v=M4uR_fEmy1c

this motivates me

Not only have you got the decade wrong but the piece of music in question isn't something that could be done with that era of hardware anyway.

If SotC is a prequel to ICO, does that mean Last Guardian is a prequel to SotC with the village elder being the boy from that game?

I don't understand Holla Forums's hatred towards remakes.

The people that buy them and want them get to enjoy a existing good game made even better by better visuals and/or extra features. If you don't think it's worth spending money just on those upgrades, then don't buy it.

Was just about to post it.
The soundtracks in both Nier games are stellar and really add up to the atmosphere.

Automata has some special moments such as the Opera boss Simone Beauvoir whose attacks are in sync with the music and then there's the way how the hacking minigame affects the music with instant, seamless transitions. Similar warp music effects are also obtained when using the random performance changer drug, which tends to alter the visual and auditory outputs by applying weird distortions to the music and gameboy/virtualboy/monochrome style palette distortions.

Are you really pulling this shit user? Seriously this on the same level as "well I like to see you do better!"

And the problem is that remakes often don't have better visuals (making a game look good is a matter of talent, not hardware) and even less features than the original did.

It's not the same at all. If enough people refuse to buy something it will actually make a difference.

People hate them because most of the time they're lazy cash grabs with the added benefit of bugs that weren't in the original.

So what you're saying is that theyre pandering to speedrunners

Normally, I agree it's a BS excuse. However, with remakes, I thiink it's a valid point. Typically, people use it as a way to excuse a shit game being shit. But with a remake, the original game already exists and still exists. "Just don't buy it" only becomes bullshit when applied to remakes if people use it as an excuse to sweep away complaints about how poorly it was remade under the rug

I'd disagree. The majority of complaints I see about a remake's quality are about autistic bullshit no sane person would care about, like a minor texture change on a wall that has a slightly different pattern of brick or shit like that; or even when they are valid complaints, are still only 1 or two things done wrong when 99% of the remake is fine.

So? Again, just see what I wrote in my original post. That's litterally just being mad that a publisher is able to make money with less effort with no downsides to either them or consumers who don't want them, unless the remake happens to be shit. You can't even argue that it's taking development resources away from original games since 99% of time remakes are handled by studios who specialize in doing remakes or ports.

How does hiring an outside company to do something not take resources away from developing original games? Are you actually fucking retarded?

Nothing in automata comes even close to Deep Crimson Foe. It's just mood music.

This board should be called /soy/ tbh

I was under the impression that only the graphics were changed (and the only new thing added was the time attack mode)

I can think of a lot of music as good or better than deep crimson foe in the nier automata OST. Possessed by Disease is leaps and bounds beyond it.

time attack's been in there since the original game launched.

there's even less talking than in the original because you can disable dormin hints. I don't even know what you're talking about. The benefit of being able to start on hard mode is also very much appreciated.

Just stop browsing this board.

neir automata is reddit tier garbage

stop being a faggot and learn to back up your views hipster

Are you? If the studio doing the development doesn't work on original games then that's not time and effort being wasted.

And the amount of money that goes into making a remake is tiny, and is recouped many tims over. It wouldn't take away from funding other projects due to that and since remakes are almost always 'extra" projects to fill gaps.

Good one, but for me the "Nier theme" in general is Song of Ancients: Fate. It's the track that sold the soundtrack for me.

I don't really remember that game getting criticism for low fps at the time, mainly because shit looked amazing anyway and people didn't expect any better.

It emulates like ass too.

Aw man what a big leap in logic. All you're doing is positing that every remake costs nothing and will be recouped which is a fucking retarded stance to take.

You'd think after all this time, you faggots would have figured out that goyim is the plural form of goy, goddamn baka gentiles. Now, you were wondering about a house loan? Interests rates are about to go up, you know?

The horse is a bad goy as well.

And the normalfags will fund this shitty practice. No thanks.
We won't buy it AND we will ensure that it always fail to make profit.

"…a publisher is able to make money with less effort…"
And that must never be allowed.

This.
Along with ever giving money to Sony for any reason at all.

Which still is reseling a product that was already made before. Paying for it is retarded.
All remakes are shit for the sole reason of being re-releases of already existing products.
It creates the worst kind of laziness, when companies release incomplete games, and use that as an excuse to resell them as "remakes" with "problems fixed" later.
And, the golden rule still applies: never give money to Sony.

It's also not how these works. It's generally the publisher, not developer who pays for and organizes these things. See the recent faggotry with NiSA and Lacrimosa of Dana's ports.

you mean the 80% of 8ch who complains about the pixels in indie games?

I have a few issues with them. The positive thing is that people who never played it can play it now, however:

If it was backwards compatible people still could play these games.
It encourages just putting out remakes instead of orinigal ideas just like the movie industry.
Sometimes I assume not in this case, but I've not played it the developers will completely change how the game plays and eventually the franchise will be different to what the fans liked.
Sometimes how the game looked before was fine, and in some cases better than the remake see The Wind Waker HD.

my nigga.
Dispite being so short and simple, Panic/Collapse is a great contrast to the otherwise calm nature of the music.
It's a great example of how effective switching the mood of the music can be.