Rare genres of games

ITT: Unconventional gameplay genres which don't rely on video game genres cliches. "Oh it's a sandbox, oh it's a RTS, an RPG, a collect-a-thon, a detective puzzle game, oh it's a flying game, etc."

Games which don't translate your idea into garbage. Games which don't take your idea of a great breathing world and turn it into a shallow platformer with power-ups or a shallow rpg with leveling up and item collecting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wLxJmBBg9C0
youtube.com/watch?v=-tFeQrPKUck
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_freedom
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

By definition, a genre has to include more than one item, in addition to a defining example of said genre.

A thread like this can either produce some pretty interesting vidya or reek of pretentiousness. If we can agree right off the bat that genres don't make a game bad or that a lot of these more unusual games aren't necessarily all that unique then I think we are good to go.

Was this really the only game which let you mine every single block of terrain in the game and made building and terra-forming intuitive from your first person perspective? There has to be another one with the same exact execution, unless there isn't.

Oh hey, it's colobot. Black and white.

Stronghold and Space Colony.

It's a first-person and third-person point, click, and torture adventure platformer.
I'm sure someone will present at least 3 similar games within an hour of posting this

Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2
-
Dungeons 3
War for the Overworld
Dwelvers
youtube.com/watch?v=wLxJmBBg9C0

X-com reversed or any top-down tactical combat game, but in space and with aliens!
youtube.com/watch?v=-tFeQrPKUck

sandbox, not rare

strategy, not rare

platformer, not rare

strategies, not rare

Pac-Man 2 isn't a platformer.

let me help you with your next answers:

videogame, not rare

Well there was the game it completely ripped the whole idea off from.

You just said it was in your description of it.

Name some other sandbox games with the level of terrain destruction/manipulation that MC has. No shit there a lot of clones, but do any come close to the same experience?

And Pac-Man 2 isn't a platformer you fucking retard it's a point and click.

I said that to bait retards into trying to claim it isn't original. For some reason, dipshits who never even played it still classify it as one on places like gamefaqs and I wanted to flush them out.

Oh wow a programming game never….
YAWN
seen that before

autism, not rare

6DoF games like Descent, Forsaken and Aquanox. Really wish this genre was more popular. Hope that Overload ends up great, as most other modern takes on the genre have just been watered down, braindead, roguelike trash.

yeah there were so many of them in 2001

Homeworld too, Submarine Titans to a lesser degree. And a fair share of space games.

I was under the impression that this was an RTS game? Space fighter games come close but unfortunately many of them don't allow you to ascend and descend as well as move side to side and work more like jets but in space. I do still love them though, Freespace 2 is next on my list to play after Aquanox 2.

Homeworld is an RTS where you can go up and down as well as move on the 2D plane. Unless I misunderstood what 6DoF means, it fits.

It's first-person and you shoot things, but it's not an FPS
You farm things as a central mechanic, but it's not at all like Harvest Moon or Minecraft
It involves watching and heading off enemy movements, but it's not an RTS
Buncha waifus, but it's not a dating sim

The Void

The Patapon series are rhythm games with mechanics lifted from many genres (leveling up troops, grinding gear and crafting items, among many others). I love the fuck out of it and everyone should give the games a try (they're easy as fuck to play on PPSSPP or a modded PSP/PSVita)

6DoF generally refers to shooter or piloting
You wouldn't use it for a strategy game

Descent is possibly the original 6DoF game: a shooter where you can twist and roll and move freely, and there is no obligatory up and down.

Fucking Crime-Sims.
Why are there so few, why!?

Minecraft is a clone to begin with. And a shitty one, at that.

Genre: Algorithmic Action
But what game is it

Dwarf Fortress.

wurm

Descent had up and down (slide up and slide down). If you lack the ability to go up and down similar to a helicopter then it is not a 6DoF, that would only be 5 degrees of freedom.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_freedom

Halo

ty for this

Pro-axis WWII games that aren't strategy
Pro-empire Star Wars games
Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades

i put it on my modded psp and i still havent played it

Vehicular combat. Pic related is a sequel so you know there's more than one.

Needs more games.

This looks like the type of shit MatthewMatosis would make a video on.

Why aren't there more?

Where the hell did all the good God games go? Why the fuck is no one able to make a good God game anymore?

Fuck, I wanted to put this as the second picture, I fucked up.

too little demand too broad of a topic for dev teams to dive into now. as much as id like more games of this type its a dead genre.

fishing rpgs like pic related. hear me out. when you catch your first fish, you gain 1 level, which will increase your strength and technique rating. after that, you catch 2 more fish and level up again, then 3, then 4, and so on and so on. in a game like super black bass where you can't get any new equipment this mechanic is critical and encourages you to continue fishing long after you've caught the weight you think you need to win; the later fish in the game are so fucking huge and strong that if you're a low level you'll need to be a master to land them without them slipping or snapping your line

to this day i lament that the super famicom legend of the river king never got translated, because all i want is more fishing RPGs that aren't pretentious x-games wannabe shit where they try to make fishing look glamorous or mmo cashgrab bullshit

I came here to post this

And this as well. You'd think that a single indie developer with evolved autism would have made a ridiculously detailed simulation of futuristic hacking by now since music can be off-sourced and the visuals only need to depict a visual theme for an OS. I guess there's still Onlink.

Games nowadays cost too much for one person to make, while a team needs to be paid and those niche games may or may not sell.

Have you considered playing any JRPG post-2000?

That's not what he was saying. There's no gravity in Descent so there's no absolute up/down, only relative to your current orientation.

SEA ROGUE
Good luck finding another game about deep sea treasure hunting and sea pirate shootan. It's an amalgamation of so much shit, reminds me of MECC edutainment stuff, a number of simulators and Pirates!, of course.

Hory shet, someone posted Colobot.

7 Days to Die is full sandbox as well

found this game while looking for programmable robot games, the only problem is that the "programming" is not a scripted system but is more like blueprint with that drag and drop thingy

(forgot to put this image in my post)

Bump

Didn't the PS2 have Everblue and the sequel? They don't have fighting, but they're about underwater treasure hunting.

I could go for some more sidescrolling shmups with twin-stick-style controls.

Isn't it still basically just a top down twinstick shooter though? The perspective seems like an irrelevant visual thing that doesn't change the gameplay of the top down shooter.

Essentially, it is. It's not a shmup since the stages aren't auto-scrolling, and it's not a run 'n gun/platformer since there is no gravity or momentum in place. It's more of a side-scrolling twin-stick shooter than anything. Wikipedia just refers to it as a multi-directional shooter.

ARPGCCGs. In the early 00s, there was a brief flash of games that tried to capitalize on the success of Pokemon's catch-em-all formula using other existing IPs as a basis, but weren't like Pokemon.
They were often cash grabs that were rough around the edges, but I think that there was potential there that was never fully explored.

That's like saying Gradius and Dodonpachi play the same, controls-wise.

Actually, you get sucked to the ground if you leave the mech floating in the air.

Interesting thread.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R and E.Y.E

This was a bizarre amalgamation of real time grid based strategy and bullet hell, you deploy units to set places on the map at the start of a stage and charge/direct attacks by pressing on them with a ball of light directed with the stylus. Meanwhile, your foes would shit out bullets that would hit you if they touched the ball of light you controlled or if they made contact with one of your guys while charging their attack.

We got The World Ends With You out of it if nothing else.

MMBN games had some of the coolest gameplay. What a shame it didn't become its own genre.

Does anyone else know any about any primarily 1v1 turned based rpgs.
The only one I can think of ispokémon

S.T.A.L.K.E.R is loot hoarding like the beth games. Not special anymore.

1/10

He's right though.

0/10

cool memes dude

Thanks

He's right technically, but it's still fucking retarded. Any game with loot in it could be called "loot hoarding like Bethesda games", people hoard shit on instinct and adding loot/inventory just enables that. It's like those fucking mouth-breathers that called Far Cry 3 "Skyrim with guns", except worse because that was at least those shared more than just one basic and universal mechanic in common.

I'm not saying Bethgames are worth shit on Stalker's heel, but the core elements that make up the entierty of the gameplay loop is the same.

Continue until the game is done.

They're similar in the same way Mario and Rayman is, in that the core gameplay mechanics is the exact same.

I guess Doom and Half Life now have the same mechanics.

Damnit user, you just reminded me how much I crave a modern SimEarth with deep simulation and mod support.
You could do so much with the SimEarth formula in modern hardware; bigger worlds, more accurate/granular simulation…
Someday I'll stop being a nodev and create a clone of SimEarth, I swear it.

also Ghost Trick

What about genres that aren't necessarily unconventional, but have very few games?

For example, Bethesda games. Full of common elements and cliches, yes, but how many other first-person, open-world, highly moddable fantasy action RPGs are there?

Another example is Neverwinter Nights. There are other RPGs like it, but none with a similar toolset that balances power and accessibility as well as NWN did.

Ace Combat is another one. Action-oriented jet fighter games are surprisingly rare. On consoles, Ace Combat is pretty much alone. On PC, it's all hardcore flight sims. I was really interested in Vector Thrust, because it promised to be Ace Combat, on PC, with full modding support right from the start. If you go back far enough, you can find a few Ace Combat-style games on older consoles, but nothing on PC with modding support. Unfortunately, Vector Thrust didn't work out so well. The basic gameplay was there, but there were too many bugs and not enough content. Project Wingman seems to be coming along nicely, though, and I think the developer plans to include mod support, so that's encouraging.

None of these examples are obscure. The Elder Scrolls, Neverwinter Nights, and Ace Combat are all very mainstream and well-known, and they all had a lot of mainstream success, so it's surprising (and disappointing) that there aren't more games like them.

Freespace 2 Open allows for 6DoF, but ships have to be specially flagged for it or the up, down, left, and right thrust buttons won't do anything. Otherwise, yeah, jets in space. The Diaspora mod has 6DoF for all fighters, I think.

Be sure to get the open-source version of FS2, if you weren't planning to already.

Please god give me a sequel to Majesty. It's been fucking years and nothing has even attempted to replicate it properly.

i just want to hear gnomes die instantly once they reach level 5 because they abandon repair work and try to become adventurers. I want it so badly. I want weak as shit wizards that turn into gods that teleport everywhere and nuke shit at level 8. I want barbarians that yaaaaargh into the night and solo a beholder only to be killed by a werewolf a minute later. I want rogues to fuck off and loot a castle while your town is sieged by frost dragons because they're greedy fucks again. I want paladins to be machines of slaughter than decimate the local graveyard. i want rangers to plant harvest the herbs that my priests plant out of boredom when they're not heal botting a warrior constantly defending the settlement from rock golems.

I want a proper sequel to this so god damn much.

Please fuck off back to cuckchan

What about Rez?
I mean yeah, it's a 3D rail shooter, but you can't deny it's not a conventional game

3D Maze Games. After Wolf3D, this genre disappeared into even greater obscurity, well before it could reach maturity. Classics include 3D Monster Maze and Tunnel Runner. Only modern ones I can think of is Tunnel Runner Redux for Windows PC and Skeleton(+) for the Atari 2600.

If the money is unavailable for "muh grafix" stylization us essential. Also a very direct and targeted marketing campain.

But you can switch to third if you want.

>weak puzzle solving
Still can't make heads or tails on this game, even after beating it three times.

Fantasy FPSes are pretty rare. I don't know of any besides Heretic and Hexen.

Yes, that's true, but the camera perspective isn't really the most important part, and third person didn't really become playable until Skyrim.