At which point does personal property end, and private property begin?

At which point does personal property end, and private property begin?

at the point where the property is made productive and used to create surplus value from the mental and material labor of the workers

Absentee ownership and extraction of surplus value

if you are able to create tools by yourself, then that's personal property.
if you need someone to create/use them, that's private property.

When I take your toothbrush.

this is wrong and oversimplified, ignore it

no it's not

Personal property would not be used for labour purposes.

So how do you determine which property belongs to a person? Like a bunch of workers can't just show up at my door and demand to work with my *insert means of production here* even though it's MY personal property and I'm not using it to extract surplus value

I can't use my own tools to build something?

Sorry if I'm pestering you with my dumb questions, I'm quite new to leftism in general

Would you be making capital off of what you were building?

What do you imagine these laborers want with your property? What means of production are you talking about? If it's a hammer or a computer that you use then nobody is going to want it when they already have access to hammers and computers.

No. Building something involves labor regardless of whether or not a profit is being made.

Say, it's a highly efficient 3D printer or a kind of item that is highly valuable in terms of production

And is of course rare

I think of private property as property taken for rent and personal property as everything else.
Generally my test for private property is to see if it is a form of property that necessitates a state to defend it. If it can be owned in nature without a state, then it's personal property.

Well I'm not sure what you need with your own personal printer but presumably you don't have the only 3D printer in existence so I'm not sure why people will show up at your door to demand it from you.
Like what? What is so rare in reality that only you have? But playing along with your hypothetical the community would probably expropriate it from you if it's that essential and uncommon. What gives you the right to deny essential resources from the community that you directly benefit from?..

I mean only labour power that could be exploited for profit.

Jerking off could be seen a labour if we are going by your logic.

So just say personal property can't be used to extract surplus value. Saying it can't be used for labor is terribly vague.

Then the relevant industries would have one long before it becomes available to private individuals, just as it is now.

My bad.

It's private property if and only if person A works it to produce value, person B receives that value, and then person B decides what to do with that value (may include giving some of the value to person A).

Anyone has a quote from Marx or Engels on this distinction?

It's a sliding scale. Personally, I don't bother with these distinctions. "Property" is bullshit anyway it's more useful simply to refer to "usage" or "possession".