Giant robots punching the shit out of each other and destroying everything

What are the best mech(a)/giant robot games out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=MR7xA2JbNCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pkxyyCLpOGI&index=21&list=PLwJOkVkZqMqoDAlxtCS27j0-TSfGEiX4w
hooktube.com/watch?v=AqT-2i2jymk
hooktube.com/watch?v=gDvQgkExpKM
hooktube.com/watch?v=5rtTZh7F9m0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Front Mission.

R.A.D., of course. Unfortunately, all I've got of gameplay are old, tiny gifs.

Anyone rembers a robot fighting game for PC mid 90s? iirc robots were quite tall and lanky. At least the one you were fighting with.

I wish there were more games like Slave Zero, just a third-person shooter where you don't have to think and just blow the shit out of everything. The only thing that REALLY sucks about it is that the more you upgrade your weapons, the more ammo they use and there's so little ammo placed throughout the levels that it's tough to just all-out shoot the shit out of everything. Also Shogo is a game everyone should experience at least once.

Also excuse my ignorance but what's that Dreamcast game in the second picture?

is that the one were you can destroy your gf house/school?

It's called Tech Romancer.

the katakana reads as Kikaio
it was localized as Tech Romancer

Can I hold hands with my robot waifu?

With a title like this it's practically cockteasing you if it doesn't include mech romance.

No

I remember one on PS1 where they attempted to make an half-assed killer instinct with around 20 robots instead of a mix of fantasy and futuristic designs. It wasn't all that great. I can't remember the name though, last time I played it was in 2000.

Cyberbots?

Nope, it was rendered in 2.5D and sold in one of those long cases. Can't remember it for shit since it was mediocre at best.

That's rad as fuck.

I remember this game being pretty fun. It's basically Gundam VS, but for Zoids, and just about every Zoid that existed at the time is playable.

It's your childhood friend, and her workplace, but yeah. You can also destroy the businesses owned by the rival for your other love interest.

Forgot image.

I don't think any video game on the planet includes mech romance.

The Goemon series has some really fucking great boss fights that you do from the perspective of a super robot cockpit. You can do it in co-op in one of the SNES titles.

Dash Dash Dash

What are the most Super Robot games? You know stuff that actually makes me feel as if I were a part of a hotblooded mecha action shounen.

Rise of the Robots?

Megatudo 2096?

Ichiro Mizuki is the king of super robot songs.
Being the performer of the first super robot song from anime:
hooktube.com/watch?v=MR7xA2JbNCQ

You may also hear him in the japanese super hero (tokusatsu) series Spielvan (partly adapted as VR Troopers in the west) singing the super robot theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=pkxyyCLpOGI&index=21&list=PLwJOkVkZqMqoDAlxtCS27j0-TSfGEiX4w

Mizuka is great, so is Kageyama, and they're the best when together.

Great game. Too bad the the sequel, Battlegrounds, was such shit.

*Blocks your path*

Asura's Wrath probably isn't exactly what you had in mind, but the characterrs are all robot, a few oof them turn giant, and it has some of the best "beating the shit out of each other" in vidya period.

It's really more of an interactive anime then a game though, but holy fuck it's a good ass interactive anime. Actually does interesting stuff with QTE's towards the end of the game and in the DLC too

being QTE heavy itself is reason enough to not bother with it.

*clears the path*

No. It was made in the west I guess and was played like a 2d fighter yet had horrible 3d-esque graphics. It was so obscure and mediocre that I can't even find it on the net easily.

Ah, the days when Epic's games were truly mega, and Cliffy B. was just some faggot who came up with a gun-toting green rabbit.

Pretty sure you're thinking of One Must Fall 2097, in case you missed it.

Not even. I'm starting to feel like I was the only one who tried it. I don't even know where the fuck I put the thing last time I moved. It might be all the way back of a closet or even up a shelf where I can't reach without using a stepladder. I sure as hell ain't gonna search for it tonight though.

Man, this game isn't great, but I love the soundtrack.

Anything wrong with Iron Brigade.

If you don't mind a bit of tanks with your mechs, Brigador's a sure thing.

Sorry, user, dragons took giant robots' place for decades and haven't budged since.

Now where are our fucking dragon fighting and sandbox games?

Ow, goddamnit, I think I broke my hip again.

>inb4 todd

Again, just think of it as an iinteractive anime rather then an actual game, since that's what the devs clearly wanted. The missions are outright called episodes, tthere's mid mission commerciial bumper breaks, and "next time on" previews at tthe end of each one.

Normally i'm not a fan of QTE focused games eitther but it works out because the devs weren't under any pretense about trying to make it out like it' an actual game like walking simulators and just actually executed well on the idea of it being an interactive anime, and also because instead of trying to make it """"cinematic"""" or do MUH FEELS, they just go balls to the walls with how over the top everything is and use the QTE'sand cutscenes to do insane bullshit you couldn't do during gameplay feasibly anyways Even if you don'tt wanna spend money on it, even just watching it on youtube or whatever is well worth the time assuming you like dumb hype over the top bullshit, since this is some of the best dumb hyper over the top bullshit around.

If G Gundam, Gurren Lagann, other super robo shows, Wonderful 101, platnmum's stuff in general, etc is stuff you like, you really owe it to yourself to give it a shot. The DLC for it is pretty much W101's ending, but on a massively increased scale and with the planet sized laser being the start of the final mission rather then just the climax of it.

True.
It is a shame that JAM Project traded Mizuki for the communist huelander. He dragged down the whole team's quality.
Soul Taker, even not being super robot, felt like it just for the song itself:
hooktube.com/watch?v=AqT-2i2jymk

Great concept, visuals and soundtrack. All ruined by it being a non-game and by Crapcom's greed.
They just had to copy Devil May Cry and that would be good enough.

The soundtrack is nice.

Still sounds like Rise of The Robots:
hooktube.com/watch?v=gDvQgkExpKM

Another nice one.
Thanks for that.

You might be thinking about Rise 2: Resurrection .

If you aren't already familiar with him, Hyakutaro Tsukumo does great stuff. He did the music for a number of the Thunder Force games.

I have great appreciation for the Thunder Force 3 soundtrack. Did not know the composer. Thanks again.

Why am I the one who has to mention AC?

Virtual On, and not that new weeb crossover game

Gllang is best boy.

I guess War of the Monsters has to get a mention.

No, sorry, not what I meant.

FUCK YES
That's the game!!! Immediately recognized the music when I looked it up. Have to find and play it again. Thanks user!!!

Punching with them is extremely impractical though. You can do it, but it will take forever and wont be fun in the slightest.

who is kiya?

What a sad life,this is depressing

I just wanna have sex with a giant robo,is that so much to ask?

There really is a conspicuous lack of fun giant robot games. Most of the so-called "good" ones are actually mediocre underneath the giant robot cool factor. I'd say pic related is the best because it would still be genuinely great even if it wasn't about mecha.

Hey, I didn't know that someone made bootleg punch-out toys.

Did anyone else like the rock'em sock'em robots action figures as a kid? I thought they were pretty cool, especially the interchangeable parts. There was a playstation game for them, but I don't know if it was any good.

Again, I really don't think it being a non-game is an issue: It obviously is if you *want* a mechanically satisfying game, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it trying to be an interactive anime when the end result is still very entertainiing.

I actually played the ps1 game based off these, I doubt it was good because i only kinda rememebr it

It IS wrong when they sold it as a game without it being one.
If they wanted a CGI anime, just release it as one.
It was a deceiving move to call it a game.

I posted that hoping somebody would correct me.
Unfortunately, it seems I turned out to be the one who was correct.

Metal Warriors was another great game.

hooktube.com/watch?v=5rtTZh7F9m0

Cybernator, also.

I wish shogo was just the mech segments, the human segments were just painful.

I fucking love RAD. One of the coolest parts is that you're not inside the robot, you're controlling it by remote and must position yourself out of the field of combat but still with a decent view - if you're not careful, you can totally launch an enemy into yourself and die like a bitch.

Noone ever talks about mad stalker full metal force
highly recomend this game its a sidescrolling 2d beatem up with fighting game motions, techs, air recovery and combos

Holy shit that's the first time I realized that cat is crying.

I don't want to know what Holla Forums's /m/ is like if this is the state of our mecha threads.

It's slow but it's alright.

Any other strategy games with mechs outside of Front Mission and that one MechWarrior game?

You mean, aside from SRW, as well? There's the Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars game on gba. There's also Metal Fatigue, shown here . If you count Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, there's those. My brother had a Zoids TBS game on gba, but I forget what it's called, and I'm not sure if it was any good.

You mean Assault Suits Valken

I think there's at least one medabots game on gba, if that counts. They are robots, they can punch each other, and it's actually surprisingly good.

That's not robots punching shit though, that's tanks with legs also known as the true patrician's mecha

You're tempting me to get into an autism war over the practicality of tanks with legs.

It's not about the practicality, it's about the aesthetics, and tanks are the most beautiful things on the battlefield.

Yes, when they work together.
SRX is the best SRW OG bot and no one can convince me otherwise.

slow.

I wanted to go with the robot more akin to the kinds of movies War of the Monsters is inspired by. Ultra V is great but doesn't fit the aesthetic quite as well.

Does EDF count with Balam? Because that was the tightest shit ever. I haven't played the new one yet but I hope its as good.

Of course EDF counts.

trash honestly. Watch Dougram instead

Hang yourself.

This. Shogo really could use some rebalancing. Sometimes you could have full health and an enemy would still one-shot-kill you.

It's the critical hit system. For some reason, Monolith decided adding in a random critical hit mechanic to a game with no rpg elements was a good idea. This is on top of enemies already having unreal reaction times and accuracy.

Holy shit, had no idea Robot Control Dandy was story heavy. Hope I'm not screwed not knowing moon.

I think I fucked up.

they werent THAT bad.

RAD is a Remote Control Dandy spinoff
Go play those games

I liked them myself, mainly because I liked most of the weapons and things were more humorous than the mech sections.

I heard that the Slave Zero artist didn't like the final product of the game stating "failed to convey the theme of becoming a monster to fight the monsters" due to design-by-committee.

The closest would probably be xenoblade 1 where the love interest gets turned into a half-mech.

What I want to know is why the fuck we're cursed to not have any solid MechWarrior games. The last good one (and the best) was MW3. Since then it's been retarded shit, if any shit happens at all. MW4 was an abomination, MWO was not worth anything, and anything MW related seems to get the GamesWorkshop treatment that WH40k fans know too well: license to work on IP for a franchise given to random devs that don't have a great track record and predictably they crank out something that's mediocre at best.

It is not fucking hard to make a good MW game. All someone, anyone, would need to goddamn do is copy MW3 mechanics, tie some levels together in a campaign with a solid story, and publish it.

Why didn't you like 4? I've somehow managed to skip over 3 but played everything else.

Valken is great.
But the way that the missions in Metal Warriors must be solved, and the freedom to change mechs at will in large environments, along with it's simple but good enough plot, made it a classic for me.
And there is still the versus mode, which is fun and practically another game in itself.

For lack of a better word, the gamefeel, with mechanics pulling in second place. Weapons felt liked they lacked punch and pizzazz, like you were firing party favors. Mechs were animated and moved like plastic toys. Controls were awful and the way they had them set up was pretty bad, I wish I could remember specifics about that but it wasn't a simple case of rebinding things, we're talking how the mechs handled with the control mechanics themselves. Everything about it almost felt like Mechwarrior: Plastic Legos edition, minus the Lego aesthetic. It wasn't gritty, nothing felt solid, controls sucked, weapons were lackluster…it basically looked and felt like someone made a game for children starring "cool walking vehicles with lasers."

Dog Ram is alright. VOTOMs and Patlabor best.

i'd like fun adventure game where you have a mech, but also can on foot. roam the comfy postapoc scavanging and doing odd jobs and hijinks.

I'm going to get on 3 at some point here, nice to see it's probably a lot more weighty and all that going by what you said, also interested to try MFBs.

Brigador is real fucking neat.

CRW Metal Jacket for the PC-98.
Has an English traslation and it isn't difficult to emulate.

Game is fully nip still, just with english text. All the characters are parodies of mecha in games/anime.

that was pretty fucking awesome.

I went out of my way to get an action replay so that I could add the boss zoids to the playable selection.

My main gripe is that the super attacks are strictly activated by being "nearly dead but not actually dead, then you get one chance to shoot a super powerful attack".

HOLY SHIT YES
Those figures were fucking incredible, namely because they included some die cast metal parts to them that made them durable as fuck. You could also completely disassemble them and re-assemble them as you saw fit, meaning every new action figure you got was an additional 7+ parts you could use to make a totally boss robot monster. Best thing was that the die cast metal was used on important joints, so you could have the most impractical looking motherfucker, but he still wouldn't fall apart.

let me upgrade your suffering

Considering the mech on the box cover is this beast of a thing, I can see how that got muddled up by the execs.

I dunno I felt Dougram was better, even Votoms falls into that "unnatural BS" thing with Chirico. Despite my love for gundam even characters like Amruo I felt better handled the "Supernatural abilities" better

Dougram is just mooks fighting mooks and a overarching political subplot concerning food shortages and the need to keep Deloyer under their thumb till they can send ships to two nearby planets in a attempt to try and keep earth's population from starving en masse

3 is amazing but the only issue is that getting it to run is very finicky, especially on modern machines. I believe there's one particular torrent of it on TPB, whether it actually works on your PC is a shot in the dark. On my previous PC it didn't work; on this one, it did but required changing of some texture settings or something, but MW3: Mercs didn't work right. It's a bit sad that the best installment of the franchise is so unstable on anything that isn't Win95 but hopefully it works for you, they did a great job with it.

I was here for a number of the Brigador threads (I had played one of the first versions and then an updated one some months later) and general concensus was that it had potential but it just burned out very quickly. It's good for the first few hours when you're trying everything, and the worldbuilding was surprisingly well done for a game like that, but every thread most of the Holla Forumsanguard seemed to agree it got boring fast. Pick your movement style, pick two weapons, walk around and shoot shit, use distractions if there are too many enemies. I distinctly remember that the threads would bring up the topic of how a developer could possibly take what's there and make it more fun, and we never really had a good answer. I wish I could articulate better why it's the case but Brigador just gets too boring too quickly, difficulty doesn't fix that.

i still fire up Brigador in downtime, it's great for that. missions arent too long, replayable.
i want a Brigador on the Men of War engine, now that would be something.

That's my point though: It'd be impossible to do what Asura's Wrath ended up doing though either purely as a normal game or a CG anime.

It being a normal game doesn't work, because part of the appeal and fun is the amount of insane, highly coregraphed shit that happens in cutsceens and QTE's which couldn't woork inside active gameplay. It being a CG anime doesn't work, because it actually DOES do legitimately novel and interesting stuff with those QTE's. Removing the QTE's and just having it be an anime would take away from some of the best scenes in it.

It straddles the line of booth and only accomplishes what it does accomplish by doing that. I don't think it's fair to fault it for daring to do something interesting and unique by doing that when it largerly succeedes and pulls it off and manages to be fun and entertaining.

I had the Dino Venger one.

They should have released it as an animation, and not a game then.

steel battalion has the best looking mechs

>>>/bl/
faggot

Didn't FromSoft made a SB game for the 360 and it turned out fucking awful?
But user
Would you go homo for a mecha? I wouldn't

This video is pretty kickass. Makes me want to dig out my dreamcast now.

It relied heavily on the Kinect. No further explanation necessary.

I posted that they should have overhauled the freeplay mode, added more weapons and varied up the objectives or create special unlocks for unique methods of play (not being spotted, only using the shittiest weapon combos etc.) I loved my first 2-3 hours of playing it but the story is shit and does nothing to hold my interest, and playing the same 4 maps in freeplay with the same fucking objectives over and over again has a seriously limited potential.

Did you even read the fucking post?

Does anyone remember that f2p nexon mecha game?
discounting the jewish progression and p2w it was fun as fuck

Just remembered what it was called.
Exsteel.

Ultimate knight windom was fun when we played, when are we doing it again?