Hey, remember The Surge? It seems the krauts sold enough of it to make a sequel

Hey, remember The Surge? It seems the krauts sold enough of it to make a sequel.

Other urls found in this thread:

exhentai.org/g/779073/1d6617bf09/
exhentai.org/g/1039131/f930e7d9af/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They didn't sell enough to keep the studio from downsizing and laying off people responsible for the game.
This is going to be an abortion.

Source? Seems unlikely to me than a studio accustomed to such high-profile games as pic related would shitcan people for a middling game people sort of talked about for a few weeks. And then make a sequel anyway if it hurt them so much.
Not that I expect great things of this. Sure, the surge but with good execution and content would be nice but I just don't think this studio is cut out for successfully ripping off dork souls.

From what I remember, some of the ideas in the story were more interesting than the gameplay and that pic really looks like they are going full grey goo scenario.
The gameplay itself wasn't terrible but not very good either.

Who knows what the sequel will be like.

I can't find any article detailing the layoffs anymore but I swear I read some shit about them laying off staff after the less than adequate performance of The Surge.

Their wikipedia article reflects the changes with them comind down from 70 employees to 49 a few months after The Surge but I can't find any article on it.

you know I might have played it if the weapon animation weren't so slow and shit.

oh fuck its coming back to haunt us.

Wasn't the first game just ded speis but 20x more boring?
Pic unrelated.

What really urks me about all these action RPGs in the vein of Souls we've been seeing lately is the lack of a character creator. I really hate being forced into being this standard character when there's really no need to. Character creation and build variation adds a lot to a game's replayability for me.

I actually enjoyed the first game. It wasn't great, but it did some interesting things with the Souls formula (like dropped souls degrading on death making it a race to retrieve them) and the upgrade system was pretty interesting. The environments weren't great though and it was easy to get lost because it was so uninteresting and samey.

Neat I guess the first one was alright for a soulslike.

Their previous game Lords of the Fallen did the same thing though.

So what was actually wrong with this game? Each time I saw The Surge mentioned it always triggered The Sperg.

That game was so fucking bad I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.

Everything wrong with the surge can be summed up as "it's from a B-list studio". The ideas are good, the level design can be nice and the game mostly works, but it tries to be on par with a huge nip franchise and it just can't crack it. It's worth playing if you go in with appropriate expectations.

Learn to fucking play the game damn

for some reason uploading multiple webbums gets me stuck on 100%

that webbum is like a week old, gramps

Can't exceed 16mb for the combined files of one single post.

oh right I was retarded
I for some reason assumed the webbum was 2mb but it was really 10mb because I cranked up the bitrate

I don't believe that layoffs after a game is shipped are anything unusual in game development.

So? The game is over 8 months old, it was just as true then as it is now.

The Surge sucked anyway.

Just a tip, while I can appreciate high bitrate, it is worth considering setting a reasonable cap on it for short clips. My Nexus 5 and 5X have trouble decoding VP9 WebMs that are around 4-5mbps or more. I usually cap my WebMs to 3-3.5mbps because that's almost always plenty (especially for 720p) and I know it has a much higher chance of decoding properly on mobile devices.

Plus having smaller files means posting more at once, as you mentioned you didn't realize you were hitting 10mb.

I realize I could be wrong and maybe your bitrate isn't as high as I think it is, but I'm just estimating based on my phone, and don't want to check the bitrate myself properly right now.

Who browses with a fucking telephone?
Faggots, that's who.

Gotta browse something during the slow moments at work, and it sure as shit isn't going to be Facebook.

lmao

This. Anything that fucks over mobilefaggots is a good thing. Absolute concer.

So you watch vidya webms on 8ch?
You're pretty embarrassing.

I didn't say they all failed to playback, obviously the lower bitrate ones work fine, especially this one

lmao it's only 2m bitrate

Go and do some work faggot.

Hey faggot, the 2mbps ones work fine.

Now you made me check, this one is 11 mbps which is the one that has the issue, hence my post. Just because I quoted them all doesn't mean they all failed.

it's 2M bitrate retard?

Now you're massively embarrassing.

No it isn't you retard.

This has nothing to do with internet bandwidth, which is more than fast enough. The issue is that the hardware can't decode in real time 11mbps VP9 footage (it can do H.264 just fine, being an older/faster codec at the cost of lower quality).

Why did they make everything ugly as fuck ?
Even an industrial waste/junkyard theme doesn't necessarily need to look like a LEGO abomination.
Why can't they make it pretty or stylish ?

Full picture please?

Buy a note 7 and kill yourself with it

You don't want to know, to be 200% frank.

I wouldn't be so sure about that given the place we're in.

Ive got a bunch of presets that I stick to and usually I only mess with them when the bitrate is too low or the filesize is over 16mb

sleek =/= stylish
"oversized industial machinery" and "dry utilitarianism" are pretty stylish if you ask me

It's internet on a telephone, it's telephone internet.

Well, knowing the gaming industry as much as i do, it's perfectly reasonable for a shitty german game developer to make a sequel to a shitty game no one liked.

Doing shit for the lowest common denominator is not to be encouraged.

at least 2 people liked it ;^)

but yeah a community for this game does not really exist, the wiki is barebones and theres a lot of advanced mechanics that arent listed anywhere
its a shame too because the game breddy fun

Now I want it more

Here's your problem.

What part of hardware decoding don't you understand? The internet speed could be fucking 56k dial up and it would not matter, once the download is complete then playback commences, but the playback struggles with VP9 at such bitrates.

Because of the 16mb file size limit, the vast majority of webms are at quite small bitrates so it is fine, it's just the occasional outliers that tend to end up this way, but again 3-4mbps is plenty for 720p videos. I see plenty of people complain about 12MB PNGs getting posted instead of JPGs, and when they are doing that they really are doing it as a bandwidth complaint. Those posters are probably from poorer countries with terrible internet (by modern standards at least).

I bet you unironically like traps

I hated this game. Limb targeting only makes fighting multiple enemies even worse than fighting multiple enemies already is in this not dark souls. Dismemberment served no gameplay purpose besides being a method of acquiring loot. I didn't think it was interesting and I surely didn't enjoy watching the same animation a hundred times.

Fuck you're right. I'd forgotten about that.
I enjoyed that game too while I was playing it but I guess I forgot about it immediately after.

It's not, especially for smaller studios. Bigger companies will move people from studio to studio as "reshuffling" but that's normal too (unless you're EA Montreal el oh el).

I'm not talking about decoding, I'm talking about you being a donut puncher who watches Holla Forums webms at work.

I didnt have a lot of problems with crowd control tbh, using a separate button to switch between enemies is a bit awkward but eh, I played better games with worse control setups
you can install implants that give you health or energy a dismemberment kill, certain guaranteed drops can be scrapped for cash
yeah thats really only a thing in the early game, once you get a couple of upgrades its arguably harder to score a dismemberment kill than just to dunk some faggot with a 3 hit combo
Im constantly running into situations midgame and lategame where I have to downgrade to the piston club in order to effectively harvest an equipment bit

No, it was dark souls with a sci-fi setting.

Post it now you faggot.

Ew. The surge was trash. I pirated it and quit after the first level.

And they say the free market will determine that bad games don't get made.

This is pleasantly surprising news. I liked The Surge enough to buy it after playing it, despite its flaws. There is a laundry list of good ideas and dense game mechanics, but most of it is buried under a facade of crushing difficulty for the sake of crushing difficulty. I like a hard game, but modeling their entire game after the feeling of Blighttown was probably a bad idea. A sequel which incorporates the lessons learned from the first game will be the best possible outcome for the series.

The prime example of The Surge's problems is the limb cutting mechanic: whether or not you successfully cut a limb is determined not only by the damage the limb has taken, but by your accuracy for the rest of the enemy's limbs, because locking on to a limb simply changes your attacks rather than guaranteeing a hit. It's an interesting system and makes sense mechanically (reward player accuracy in addition to the intuitive logic of hitting something you want to break), but the average player won't notice it because he's too focused on hitting the limb he wants, because why would he do anything else?

This "accuracy bonus" is mentioned once, in a tooltip you can only see on loading screens, which is poorly worded. I read it four or five times before I understood what it actually meant, so I can't imagine what the average normalfag would make of it.

I can go on, if anyone's interested. The visual and level design were consistently top notch, which isn't necessarily apparent from seeing early footage or webms.

I didn't have too much trouble since the game is smart enough to recognize repeated lock-ons and will alternate through targets.
The difference in hitstun between striking an armoured part and an unarmoured parts is enormous (although they have since patched this because upon release armoured enemies effectively didn't take hitstun). Much of the time it boils down to whether or not you need loot, but it's a decision to be made nonetheless. I'm surprised to hear you found the animations repetitive; I was consistently impressed by their quality. The most egregious repetition was the majority of the game only having three or four enemies types, especially because that glut is so early in the grand scheme of things.
You know you can combo into it, right?

I guess I'm glad there's still an industry here, but I really don't care for these guys. They really didn't deserve to win the last few german game award shows.

Blighttown wasn't even hard. Fight me.

Blighttown wasn't hard, but it instilled fear and paranoia. The Surge clearly aimed to have players feel that way the entire time they played it. It succeeded, but I think many people were burnt out after the first area and boss.

Wait how?
It was just short run through a bog.

bogs and gays user

I need the source for that, user. I want to fap.

A short silky smooth 15fps walk through a bog filled with AIDS

I found it myself. Here it is if anyone else wants it.

exhentai.org/g/779073/1d6617bf09/

its simple, the summary of everything that is Blighttown is "bullshit"
you have TWO KINDS of bullshit on the ground, bloodsucing bullshit in the air, ninja bullshit from above, bullshit slugs from below, bullshit cliffs in front of you and bullshit dogs on your ass, all while at an absolute bullshit framerate

where do you think we are?

The Surge and LotF are just shitty Souls clones that offer barely anything new. Nioh is a far better rip-off, actually introducing some neat mechanics (Ki Pulses, stances, combos, far smoother movement, faster paced) and embracing a mission based structure. None of these games are perfect but there has been next to no evolution since DeS and DS until Nioh. They are all "lock on, circle strafe, dodge/block at the right time, attack, repeat until victory" affairs.

found it, he was right
exhentai.org/g/1039131/f930e7d9af/

Please, my cock is already on my hand and ready to rumble.

truly some questions are better left unanswered

It's too late, my hand is already moving on it's own.
I have no regrets.

fuck this game let's have another Armored Core.

Good news, the surge was a big improvement on their previous game so im keeping an eye on this one. I enjoyed the surge too and it was really progressive of them having a wheelchair bound guy as the protag

I fully expected scat so I was pleasantly surprised.

The wheelchair reveal at the beginning is so good, too. Speedrun strat: the wheelchair doesn't have any acceleration limit rolling backwards, so you can roll down the ramp at the start faster if you back up onto it.

I regret clicking on that only because it was a waste of my time. I was expecting some /d/ shit. I haven't fapped to anything that boring since highschool.

And then games workshop sued them for having chainswords.

original game sucked. too frustrating to be enjoyable. a waste of development time if you ask me