"Comfy" JRPGs

I really enjoy my playthrough of Wild Arms 2, and quickly looking up the original Star Ocean, I was wondering what other JRPGs are out there that have a similar feel to it. Given what I've seen on the outside, it seems like numerous titles go on the role of having some "grand epic" planned that's suppose to move the player, or go in the other direction with some shounen-like story akin to series such as Rave. What are some games that are right in the middle that "take themselves seriously", but are not there to write Shakespeare?

Xenoblade 1 and 2 go some crazy places story wise, but they learned from xenosaga and made the storytelling straightforward enough to never be overwhelmingly convoluted. They also have a focus on running around doing sidequests and having lighthearted dialogue.

Maybe Grandia, sure the story is about saving the world from an ancient evil, but it's mostly about a kid who wants to become an Adventurer and as such literally goes to the End of World to prove that there is something beyond that. Along the way he meets all sorts of people, some become his friends, while others become his rivals, but it manages to keep a lighthearted feeling throughout the game.

Just play Wizardry instead of these shit clones, faggot.

At this point, people could describe tearing their eyes out with a rusty nail as "comfy". Nothing isn't "comfy". I'm sick of it.

Ni no Kuni would be a good pick. Ghibli movies are comfy as hell, and it's basically Studio Ghibli: The Jrpg.

Doesn't get much more comfy than this.

>(((J))) RPG

>>>/cuckchan/

Radiata Stories is comfy up until about 2/3 of the game, at which point you choose one of two paths.

Nice spacing >>>/reddit/

i like this gif a lot one can say i find it comfy

Filter the impotent soyboys.
Play Legend of Dragoon, Gramstream Saga, Alundra and Suikoden 1 and 2.

Breath of Fire 3
Final Fantasy 9
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Adventures to Go!
I think these games are fairly 'comfy'

Well comfy as a type of game is hard to filter because then, it relies more on the feeling of comfiness rather than a more concrete type like: space games or games with dating elements for example.

Estrogen makes you "comfier"
Warm Milk made with Soy is a good way to feel comfy. Kick back with some "comfy" games and warm Soy Milk.

Seconding Grandia.

It's still pretty comfy in the last third if you choose to side with the humans. Sure you lose Ridley but you get to go on a date with any of the superior girls that live in the city.

Final Fantasy XII after the Tomb of Raithwall. The game has a great setting, and 80% of the game opens up at that point.

oh nice, i just got there. the game is certainly hitting all of the right autistic grindan buttons for me.

Your refined taste betters this imageboard

You're also quality fuckers

XII is fantastic. The setting is great, but it is made so thoroughly enjoyable by the incredible work put into bringing it to life. Character designs, music, dialogue, voice acting, presentation. It is a true AAA title and evidence of what happens when money reaches talent. In a perfect world XII wouldn't be a series oddball but something akin to a criterion release where square took established Final Fantasy settings and fleshed them out with greater budgets, attention to detail and love. A treatment with new characters for the settings IX or VI at a quality equal to XII would really be something.

These people are why we can't have nice things.

Obligatory Trails in the Sky mention.

Soon to get comfy with my elf waifu

For comfy JRPGs the ones already mentioned, like Grandia, Breath of Fire 3, and Alundra are all good picks.
I'll add to it by suggesting Skies of Arcadia, Lunar 1/2, Atelier Iris, Tales of Phantasia and Rogue Galaxy.
None of these take themselves too serious but are fairly middle of the road. Much like Wild Arms 2 and Star Ocean.

Absolute patrician taste.
Valkyrie Profile is also fantastic.

Great game
The moment when Sue leaves you hit me much harder than I would have thought

For me it was when Justin lost all hope and got abandoned by his friends for giving up.

After the Tomb, there's a quest you can do in Nalbina Fortress. It'll let you go north much earlier than normal. Just be careful to avoid engaging enemies. Accessing new areas early on can be dangerous.

That OST change when Sue is about to leave..

Eternal Sonata, Lunar Silver Star Story, Lunar Eternal Blue, also Wild Arms 1 & 3

Another great moment, besides the one I mentioned and I don't want to post the video, as it is way too far into the game, is the one in the beginning when Justin is about to leave his mother to go adventuring in a new continent, when he discovers a letter in his pocket.
Skip to 2:48

Everyone recommending Grandia is correct. First 2 Lunar games and Skies of Arcadia have a similar vibe too.

It's still a convoluted mess.

It's ruined by the incredibly awful translation.

B grade garbage.

This game was really something.
Even Leen's apparent sacrifice at J Base was another memorable moment.

Dont remind me user, it's like Maribel all over again

Look at the bright side, you can play all these wonderful games, as if you would play them for the very first time, in a way, I envy you.

Fuck this plague on the Shining franchise name and what it's done.

Bitch I will fight you

That's not a very comfy post, user.

The first Wild Arms was great. At times I would get lost because I didn't go back to a certain NPC, so I would travel around the map. It was a pretty nice feeling even if I was lost. I need to play some more PS1 JRPGs.

I wanted to play some Shining games, what's a good babby tier entry title?
I was thinking of Force 3 since it's 3d and looks nice, but I don't know anything about it beyond that.

Shining Force 2

Thanks.
Into the backlog it goes until I finish the other games I'm busy with now.

I am playing this motherfucker, i warn thee, it's NOT comfy, it's the opposite, it's fucking challenging, makes you ragequit and has replayability because you just want to get the fucking good ending and it's IMPOSSIBLE, without cheating of course, to get the good ending on the first playtrough. It's not comfy by any means but i had to inform any person that just wants a much harder FFT, the history, i am not paying much attention, but there is a lot to read, this is a game that you learn with your mistakes, not casual at all but you have to play this shit at least once, now o think it's bad because i fucking have to replay a level with at least 2 stages and i didn't knew some stuff beforehand, BUT, after the alcohol dissipates, i just know that i will have a go again…It's not that it's impossible, but you have to cool your head to not screw up…

I feel like anyone who's visiting this thread should know this about the Lunar games (Given their multiple remakes). Apparently, from the research I've made, it's worth it to play both the original Sega CD version of the first game and the PSP remake. The reason behind this is that the original game has an almost entirely different story than it's remakes. However, if you're only going to be playing one version of the first game, it's recommended that you play the PSP version mostly due to it's more "cannon" story.

As for Lunar 2, it doesn't seem to matter whether you get the Sega CD, Saturn, or PS1 version. All of them are slightly different with each having it's own "flare".

Get fucking good, that's one my favorite games and I got the good end the first time around. Pro tip:use the goddamn buffs retard

If you're going to play PSP version of Silver star, just make sure you're playing it only for story and pretty visuals, cause it's babby-tier easy compared to any other. For actual gameplay you should look to the PS1 version (Or Saturn if you can into japanese)

At that point, why not just say to play the Sega CD versions of both games since all the remakes mostly did (Aside from story alterations here and there) was decrease the difficulty more and more in each iteration?

What is the better version Saturn or Playstation?

I heard the Western PSX version is harder than the Sega CD version.

Well they do have random battles, and I think that's more annoying than difficult. Dunno about the rest.

I just found the saturn/psx versions to be a nice in-between when I was choosing which version to play, but each to their own

The Saturn version mainly because of the graphics.

Thanks, didn't know Saturn emulation was a thing, I'm a pleb.

Then you clearly did fuckall research, or likely got your opinions from >>>/reddit/ since the PSP has trash art and castrated difficulty. PS1 versions are ideal.

Yes user, start with SF3 instead.

Robotrek
The first three Dragon Quest games are really comfy except the last few hours of II.
Mother 3

As long as you're not playing the shitty WD localizations.

It's impossible to know some game mechanics beforehand unless you are a save state fag, or you are dumb enough that you thought people wouldn't realize?

Every Dragon Quest is really comfy nigga

How does it feel to be a filthy casual?

>An user who's never played PSO

Digimon world 2003

yeah but the first three are special to me idk. also, I would highly encourage anons to play them in order if possible, just because they'll seem really dated.

Also Anachronox

I just started Radiate Stories.
Anything I should know beforehead?

Or should I make separate thread?

Kick everything, recruit everyone you can but a lot of people are behind plot-blocks so don't worry too hard, maybe explore the city sewer early on for better gear once you get that far.

Sure, make a screenshot thread and have it get shit on like the guy who played OFF, rip his soul.

What did I miss?

As far as i know, some faggots reported it and it got deleted after the second or third thread; i barely pay attention, so i don't have the details of the matter.

I think there was a thread still up where people discussed the game until it slowly died down, but I don't remember if OP finished the game or forgot to post or what. I think the only thread that got closed was a duplicate.

Aaaaand dropped.
I hate when games do this. Not worth my fucking time.

You remind me of a guy who quit Kingdom Hearts 2 after the opening cutscene; which is to say, you're a faggot. I would have taken the time to explore the town, find the mine, kick boxes for a useless empty bottle, and get murdered to death by gangrape ants.

The game opens up after a few more missions when you get the axe from the knights. It does take too long to get to that point.

Keep going until you get kicked out of the knights. That quest isn't important anyway and most of the quests after this don't disappear after the main story progresses. The only other one I can think of is all the missions in the dwarf village disappear after they get shoah'd but you have to spend weeks, maybe even months, of ignoring that quest for that to happen.

That's a good game and all, but why'd you have to post like a fucking retard? That shit might be the norm back on GameFAQs, but leave it there next time.

I'd say legend of dragoon but it was pretty much "shit gets real and stays real throughout"
There isn't much happiness or comfort in that game, but it's probably one of the best JRPGS regardless.

Why are you only playing DQIX postgame?

quit Kingdom Hearts 2 after the opening cutscene
Dunno, sounds like pretty unfaggy behavior.

I remember Magical Pengal being pretty comfy.