Welp, since the mods deleted it therefore giving the derailers what they want, lets continue the discussion here:

welp, since the mods deleted it therefore giving the derailers what they want, lets continue the discussion here:

what are problems you have with the classic game scene? Prices, hardware, longevity of it, community, etc. It was a fun discussion while it lasted. Have you bought anything interesting recently or are interested in doing any mods?

Other urls found in this thread:

badassconsoles.com/gcvideo-1/
sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?26920-Games-with-3D-graphics-running-at-60-fps-5th-Generation-Consoles
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

emulation

probably where it's the worst to get into any sort of collecting, it seems like the aussie (chinese) dollar is worthless, but I don't think it could possibly be that bad that it justifies insane prices like what usually gets posted.

Is remaking a deleted thread like ban evasion?

I'd avoid anything nintendo, not because of children but because of the prices.

I've been collecting original Xbox games and you can get factory sealed copies of most games for anywhere between 10-20 bucks there are obviously exceptions

I wouldn't avoid anything nintendo, there's some good options there like actraiser as was mentioned in the previous thread. While you're probably not gonna be finding sealed $15 games, you'll easily find good games for cheap. Most of the time it comes out to knowing the less well known games and taking a bit of time to search. You'll still find the occasional "yeah my son is off at college and he left all his stuff and told me he didn't care" yard sale which is always nice. Also my favorite thing about the spring.

(((Collectors)))
They are sometimes worse than video games companies CEOs.

No, it isn't.
Sometimes threads need to remade.
Like generals in which some sperg was unable to contain his autism.

won't have the same discussion, posts were deleted unfortunately
Another quality job by the mods, snagged this before thread 404'd

If it makes you feel better, Mark just bumplocked it. Teal's the one who nuked the thread.

It doesn't matter who deleted the thread, the fact remains that its deleted
Also that kinda defeats logic
What the fuck is that? The thread was fine staying bumplocked due to the OP being a shit (1) and done but it didn't deserve to be nuked

You know what pisses me the fuck off? assholes that only sell the cartridge/cd/whatever the fuck
Like what the fuck man, do you really need to double dip and sell the box separately?
I expect that shit from gamestop not from people who share the same hobby as me jesus christ

at least now we know where Nintendo got their labo idea from, jesus fucking christ

what if op isnt australian but the photo is just an avant garde expression of how upside down the collector fag community is

Oy vey, clearly remaking a thread that a mod got rid of is against the rules! Why else would they have gotten rid of it? :^)

the absolute state of the used games industry

Prices.

If shit was cheap, it would be like the PS1 scene.

This is a good feeling after paying over $20 for a copy of Lost Kingdoms on gamecube.

oh man you don't even fucking know. OK, if anyone out there has a steel battalion controller, you'll know how it's assembled. 4 pieces, ribbon cables between them, 2 metal plates, 4 screws tying the 3 control panels together. I once saw some despicable scalper selling the fucking SCREWS, the plates, the ribbon cables separate from the controller itself. I'm talking he was asking $20 for just the 4 screws.

This isn't to say you can't find these things for more sane prices. I got my steel battalion controller for 115. Pretty high but the game launched at $200, mine's a model 1 (green button) controller, and came with everything.

I'm amerikwan, I was just using the previous OPs image flipped.

how is lost kingdoms by the way? I don't really know anything about it other than it's a fromsoft game. Can you tell me a bit about the gameplay?

I got u

How easy would it be to print a cardboard box, put a fake cart inside, wrap it in plastic and sell it as a COMPLETE IN BOX for thousands of collector autist bux?

not very easy

What is it with Earthbound specifically being so expensive? My local Gamestop has a small cabinet for retro games, and has a probably fake Earthbound cart for $300 inside.

It's a shitbox accessory, that's why it doesn't sell. I bet I could sell feces in a box for that price if it was written Nintendo on it. That company attracts autistic menchildren like nothing else.

h i p s t e r s

Why not buy it and test it out, don't they have a 7 day return policy?

hipsters really. it sold a little over a million copies, so there's quite a few units floating around out there. Has an odd box, comes with a lot of crap, and is a quirky nintendo RPG. Just for that reason it's very expensive. It's not a particularly good game.

If I still had an SNES, maybe. The oldest working console I still have is an N64.

The fact that clone systems haven't reached perfection yet.

God damn it user, every day i find out we've hit new lows

I love Super Famicom carts but I can't stand the design of N64 cartridges. Does that make me a contrarian?

Speculators and scalpers.

And YOUTUBERS that drive up prices.

HIDDEN GEMS ANYONE

You do know if you keep the scratched non working disc you can legally emulate it.

If you mod and XBOX 360 to turn off the lock out on non approved XBOX original games, I think Gladius plays well with only a few minor graphic glitches.

what the fuck

Oh as far as i know the Legal Emulation thing is USA specific. Where if you own a copy of the original software you can legally make a back up copy.

Yeah with the way the NSA and more are these days. You should always keep a mind on how you navigate the legal gray zones.

you never do quite know when they'll decide to make an example of someone, but it's been a while since the RIAA/MPAA cases of the mid 00's and I don't know if anything as big has happened since. The controversies seem different compared to the copyright ones of the era.

Makes the likes of EA and Activision seem like charity organizations.

People trying to sell fucking cables for stupid amounts of money, like 90 bucks for a fucking Turbo Express AC adapter, hundreds of dollars for XBOX or GC Component cables

There's a decent amount of xbox games actually worth a damn, most of them are games that are likely never to be reprinted/remade, like Futurama, or that Cthulhu game Bethesda sabotaged. Otherwise it's random shit like Stubbs the Zombie

I've only ever seen the xbox component cables go to about 30 or 45 tops. GC is a lost cause, just get a late run RVL-001 and enjoy GC like that.

Maybe hdretrovision will move onto xbox once their PS2/PS3 component cables are completed. Also there's been a lot of efforts to reproduce the gamecube component cables and hdmi converters are becoming a thing these days. I expect most of the major ones will be available this year. Some are also supporting wii component cables for y/pb/pr out.

Did anyone save the story about some guy who would loan out old, obscure Nintendo games to flash cart manufacturers and was almost killed by scalpers?

Is there something special about the xbox version of dark corners of the earth? I don't see why it's 50+ when the PC version is as easily accessible as it is.

They tied the movement speed of the game to the resolution or something. Becomes a pain in the ass when during the last bit of the game.

That and bethesda half assed the print run like they did everything else, though it's gone down a bit since the gog release based on what i'm seeing on ebay right now.

The disc wasn't nonfunctional though, I just lost it because, like you, my brothers were bad at reading comprehension.

Seeing that they're private individuals, and their decisions don't directly impact thousands of lives working for them, It's a given that they're almost guaranteed to be worse.

I was into the retro gaming scene when it first got big in 2008ish (AVGN getting big made a ton of people want to go buy old consoles) and you could still pick up a 5 dollar copy of Majoras mask at a goodwill every once in awhile. Now you would be lucky to pay 25$ for the same game if not 30 or 40 dollars. The bargains are gone, the prices are fucked. All the decent SNES games that used to be 10 dollars are 20 to 30 dollars now. Way too many people got into the hobby and ruined it. I sold all my old games and lost interest in the hobby a few years ago because it had just gotten to the point where it was shit

Do people really do that? It seems like it would be worth a lot more to have the game complete in box than to sell each of them separately. Plus I would assume there is probably a lot less demand for a fucking cardboard box than someone who wants the game in complete.

If you don't want the Game Boy Player why not just get a Wii?

yeah, I agree. especially because it has so many homebrew options.

At this point I can use emulation when I need to go back and play a game. The only console I have in my closet is a snes JR with an everdrive. Unless u go full blown autism and need to speed run a game, I will just stick to my PC.

I will never let him live that down, what a dumbass.

Pretty sure the Wii's composite cords are also a lot cheaper than the Gamecube's. One just ought to make sure they get a backwards compatible model, assuming they want Gamecube compatibility.

Not bad. That said, if he was somehow satisfied by DmC (assuming he has no fucking taste), he might not feel he has anything to try to live down anyhow.

>(((classic games)))
I fucking hate the entire retro goy market. The most gullible people around falling face first into every scam and price gouging tactic, making it worse for everyone else

It's component silly. Also even the newer Wiis can USB load GameCube games with a third-party controller, thanks to the hackers. Not optimal but it can be done. Same for the Wii U supposedly but I've no experience with that system.

you're just another tumor on the retro goy demographic nigger

Sorry, got confused. I still think it's lame that they up and removed the physical Gamecube compatibility from the later models (though actual copies of most stuff, even common games if they have any major Nintendo characters on them, can be a good bit of money), but at least my old one still works fine. Even have one old enough for bricking reversion if that ever happens.

Collection mean assets, assets mean measurable wealth. Especially since these games will only get harder to find in the wild. What assets do you have that carry value user?

Mexicans scraping every game from every goodwill,salvation my, flea market, & garage sale.

Who says he doesn't play them?

Yeah I'm not defending Nintendo, indeed it's hilarious that the hackers do what Nintendont to that degree. They also opened up the GBA emulation on 3DS which is only available to ambassador systems. Also getting physical games isn't such an issue with a Wii since you can USB load.

Reminds me that I still need to get a compatible drive for mine. Got some games, both Gamecube and Wii, that I'd need to play via loader anyhow.

I honestly want ICE to start using estate sales to catch illegals. They camp those before they're even open, like vultures waiting on an animal to finally die.

I used to get a bunch of old NES and SNES titles from a hole-in-the-wall used games store near my house, it was ran by a really awkward beta Jap that barely spoke English. The store never got a lot of business and closed down around 2011. I remember when it was stupid easy to find old games at thrift stores but they're all dried up too.

Nintendo VC is notoriously inaccurate itself, even on its own first party fucking games

Pic 1 is an actual N64, pic 2 is virtual console. VC is mostly shit at playing games it wasn't designed for. Each VC titles is a binned emulator with a compatibility profile added

This shit made me buy a flash cart. Playing animal crossing on an N64 in english is fantastic.

The Nintendo 64 is one of the few exceptions to the "emulation is superior!" rule because the N64 hardware is so damn hard to emulate accurately. Playing on actual hardware gives you the proper, fuzzy graphics with blurry texture filtering that frankly is just how its supposed to look

You're going to hate me then. I purposely patched all my roms to remove the anti aliasing filter from them. It makes them much sharper & closer to what games look like on a PS1. I'm playing these on a tube television if it matters.

Do you also mine buttcoins?

N64 games ran at single digit FPS at times. While I do lament the lack of an accurate N64 emulator, I don't miss the "accurate" n64 experience.

ha, I also overclocked my n64 too. I have an on off switch for the clock speeds. Makes Perfect Dark really playable.

I think it helps to play on a PVM or even a computer monitor with RCA input. I use a Commodore 1702 myself and that's when the N64 just looks right. On a conventional CRT I think the AA and texture filtering on N64 games tended to come ass as noise on the average CRT television unfortunately

You're not wrong about framerates. Bad FPS will never look and play good and it's clear most N64 games really pushed the limit of the system

Jesus, I hope you have a fan on it, I recall even a stock N64 got warm to the touch near the air vents

I'm more triggered by the terrible condition of the carts than anything. I'd be washing off the marker stains, washing off the glue from the needless stickers, and re-printing new game labels for the ones that were torn off.
Thankfully emulation & flash carts exist, so I don't have to do any of that shit.

Gamecubes can be hard-modded now for HDMI. badassconsoles.com/gcvideo-1/ (The guy teased about making his own cable replacement, but that was well over a year ago. never ever)
Or just use the Wii's component cables since 3rd party ones cost between $5-$10. Hell, you can even use Nintendont on the WiiU for its native HDMI support if you don't need to use Gamecube accessories. I've been happy enough though with a softmodded Wii running BootMii. I haven't had to turn on my Wii remote in almost 2 years now.

You could nearly fry eggs on the thing if you played DK64.

>Gamecubes can be hard-modded now for HDMI. badassconsoles.com/gcvideo-1/ (The guy teased about making his own cable replacement, but that was well over a year ago. never ever)
Yeah i heard about that, but i remember hearing something about how it can fry your gamecube too. Don't know if there's any truth to that, but i'm gonna wait and see if i can find a spare before i try that shit.
We'll see. I didn't expect any kind of option like that to be available for a long time, since the GC isn't really capable of Component in and of itself, the actual wires iirc also contain the hardware necessary to make it work.

I got to try the latter option one of these daysor just find a better alternative. The lag on a DVDO is fucking atrocious. Playing a turbografx, SNES or genesis game on it is simply unacceptable.

Anyone ever tried the Nomad or that super nintendo portable, what it called, retro bit supaboy? Are they any good?

(checked)
None actually. Having super harsh restrictions on storage space because ROMs are more expensive than optical media is/was actually a boon to great game development. I posit that if AAA developers were forced to back to strict and harsh space limitations that new games would become good again. Also with ROM carts and no HDDs you don't have stupid shit like Denuvo trashing your mechanical hardware just to run the game.

Prices haven't changed. Anyone arguing prices isn't old enough to know that $60 has been the defacto standard pricing for vidya since ~1985. If anything when the jews switched to optical media the price per unit should have dropped to about $10, but it's held at ~$60.

Hardware ages regardless of platform. The longevity of a "classic game" system depends on a few factors: technical capability, library, accessibility. Obviously if your hardware decays you lose all of those factors and thus the ability to play.

There really is no classic games community. There are only friends with similar classic game interests. We didn't have the internet or faceberg. Most of us didn't get that until the early 90s when we went off to college and got online using Gopher, chatted on IRC, engaged in flame wars on usenet.

I'm looking forward to getting an FM synth addon for my Sega Master System.

Was there even any game on the thing that ran at 60fps? Every game i remember playing on it seemed like they were running, at best, at 30.

For awhile new disc games were at 50 bucks new, 20-30 for handhelds, and N64 went to about as much as 80 bucks. Then the PS3/360 generation rolled around and it went right back to 60 and then 40 for handhelds or just 50-60 now with the switch. iirc the justification was that game development was getting more expensive, or some shit.

Shame Phantasy Star and Ys had the functionality stripped for god knows what reason, since every other game still has it.

You can get the j2e patch for the jap version of PS and it still has FM (embed related). Ys… while Vanished Omens was my first SMS game, and formed the roots of my love of the Ys franchise I feel like the definitive version is the TG16-CD re-release bundled with both Books I&II. So I don't mind that one not having FM

Would you know how to get overclocking right for emulating N64 games via the Virtual Console on Dolphin? I've tried to play Sin & Punishment despite its smooth silky 30 fps, though the game still dips at times, particularly during 2-2, and turning on CPU overclocking in Dolphin actually lowers the framerate and fucks with the audio. Should I just play it on an actual N64 emulator instead?

It really pisses me off that nostalgia is a market. This is where I fucking hate capitalism and have no issue with pirating old-gen games.
Beyond that, I love keeping classic gaming alive. I recently picked up a GBA:SP (unfortunately an 001 model) and have been replaying Pokemon Emerald. I also put together an emulation station and again, fucked up my research and got a Pi which has been a blast, especially for MAME.

GODDAMN IT PACO.

This is actually brilliant.

My experiences mirror your own, barring frequent Internet access in the nineties. Sparing at best. There also seems to be some sort of false narrative being preached to the youth about what happened before 2001. Curious. Makes me wonder what other parts of history, important or otherwise, have been rewritten.

We all know it was because there was more profit to be had, and foreign interests infiltrating into and destroying the US steel industry was wrecking the value of the dollar.
If you could use smaller, cheaper ROM chips by ripping content out, then you would get a bonus for saving the company some money.

Whoah there, commies get the bullet. Your issue is not with capitalism, but PROFITEERING. This is intentionally exploiting the market to make profits that are exponentially greater than your investments, at the expense of the market itself. To put it simply, resellerfags are pulling the old "I got mine, fuck you" thing that worked so well in Europe and eastern Asia, if you don't count the many wars that happened because of profiteering fuckery and infiltration.

fuck you europe

what if every unopened box is actually a fake one? how do you know it's real if you don't look inside?

there's more than just capitalism and communism.

f-zero X and probably some 2D games. Despite the saturn being far, far worse for 3D and being almost 2 generations behind it had many 3D games that looked better and ran better despite the 3D hardware essentially being just really fast 2D hardware and a lot of things being processed in software.

it's been confirmed to be coming out this year. Probably pretty soon considering the hardwares been finalized.
third party is low quality, poorly shielded.
apparently the wiiu has really weird, overly bright (poor gamma balance) output for vwii which would include nintendont. I haven't tested it myself but it seems pretty shitty.

Can you name some? I can't think of any Saturn game that hit 60FPS let alone consistently.

Fuck. Regret dropping it for $300 to some sperg several years back now.

Some sega sperg actually compiled a list, PS1 dwarfs it at 3:1, but it beats the shit out of the N64's library 4:1
sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?26920-Games-with-3D-graphics-running-at-60-fps-5th-Generation-Consoles

Nobody actually buys these things you idiot, it's a scam.

Get the fuck out of here with that nigger shit.

This shouldn't have been deleted. Anybody who looks up to Sessler is an asshole.

Emulation is better than physical games.

- Free
- Can improve the graphics or put new ones in
- Add better controls
- Play modded versions of classic games

I think it's fucking stupid and a waste of time. Emulators exist, so literally why would you waste money on pointless trash?

You mean with filters?

I would argue you ashouldn't play sin & punishment on anything but a N64 on an original N64 controller. The whole game is REALLY setup to be played with the N64 controller in mind.

What are the worst countries for being a collectorfag/buyfag?

Hey, that's my pic. I was in a gamestop and was so pissed at them selling that shit on copy of god damn conkers bad fur day. The next to it we have some mario games. The absolute most printed N64 game in existence and they wanted more than 10 dollars for it. No boxes or anything. Just cartridges.

Wait so Japanese Master System games didn't actually sound like complete ass?

Australia. Last I checked 90 kangaroo leavings for a fucking game. it might actually be 100 now, and their money isn't even worse in inflation then the US.

Probably Australia as far as first world goes. On top of the usual issues for PAL of delayed releases and at times outright lack of a native release, there's also truly awful prices to contend with from what I've heard. Also the string (albeit I don't know if it's necessarily a recent development) or outright barring particular games (that NTSC and other PAL countries can release just fine) from even being rated and thus unable to have a a native release (though depending on the system, importing is valid). I'd assume the worst places though would be countries that don't even see much in the way of native releases anyhow, because there's not deemed enough interest, or it's too much trouble to translate for whatever the particular language is, or native prices for the system/games are just too fucking expensive.