Android Handhelds

Has anyone here had experience with these Android gaming handhelds? Most of them just seem like chink shit tablets with buttons on them but a 50$-200$ emulation machine is more appealing to me than a 50$-200$ Nintendo or Sony handheld.

posted from my phone :^)

nice input latency

I thought the latency was due to the touch screen, shouldn't physical buttons solve that?

I've used that one in the image for a while myself. It's actually pretty good. Most games run completely fine on it, the battery life was good, and the it's pretty light. It also feels more comfortable to hold than the 3DS. I mainly use it to replace my PSP since it handles emulation of other platforms better while still being able to play most PSP games well. Except for Yggdra Union it seems. For some reason that game has a bad frame rate and sound problems. Meanwhile games like Vakyria Chronicles 3 ran just fine.

← iPega's pads are a nice low cost solution if you already have a phone or tablet. Bluetooth may cause a bit of latency, though.

Get the GPD Win 2 user

holding out for the xd plus
shield portable 2 never ever

Have you tried using any custom ROMs? How do the buttons feel?

I don't know about most emulation but every gba and snes game on every different emulator on 4 different phones all had horrible lag. gb color seems fine, and the only other thing I've tried is ds witch seemed fine but the only game I played was Pokemon diamond and thats hardly a benchmark for latency.

Android has built in latency due to various reasons like no low latency kernel, different hardware and bad drivers.

I had the JXD S5800, which was a phone/console hybrid. It was a good concept which had nice performance, but was uncomfortable as fuck and had awful build quality.
I've heard great things about the GPD XD, and at least in specs it blows the fuck out of the New3DS. It looks nice for emulation and should run everything up to PSP and some Dreamcast games.
If you want a more powerful machine, the GPD Win is way more powerful, has a x86 CPU and comes with Windows 10 installed (you can install Ubuntu IIRC) and has better emulators available as well as older games. A new version of it is coming so you might want to check that.
I don't have Windows 10 on my laptop, user. Thanks for your concern, though.

Yeah, you're just an idiot. Played a handful of SNES and N64 games on my phones going back to the original DROID both with and without a bluetooth controller. Zero input lag.

Bluetooth won't cause any latency, in most cases it will have less than a wired connection due to the refresh rate being higher

I tried a PS4 controller on a tablet a few months ago, massive input lag, fighting games were unplayable.

naw

You'd probably be better off with a GPD Win
Dunno how good linux support is on it, but it's at least decent for just windows gaming if you want to drop some GOG installers on it and basically never connect the thing to the internet.

Personally I wouldn't trust a GPD Win with an internet connection and any account of any kind

Irrelevant. I doubt you would trust any Android device with an internet connection either. That's a given at this point.

That's the name of the product dumbass.

It's a meme ya dip

Well, with Hong Kong if they manage to weasel your details away (I mean actually important details) they can cripple you financially with international immunity. Google at the very least is a massive corp that you at least have the benefit of them already being a monopoly with little to gain from fucking you financially.

You're suffering from some major cognitive dissonance m8. I'm just saying, you can be all for freedoms and shit, but defending Google and Android while dismissing something from some smaller company is full retard. The RIL in every Android cellular device is running a proprietary RTOS just like any Intel ME device.

I can hate google and the people of Hong Kong at the same time you know.

(checked)
I'm not saying you couldn't. I just thought you were defending Google while hating the people from Chink Kong. That would've been completely retarded

XD

If nintendo partnered with apple to make a hand-held gaming device, I feel as if the soyim would pay upwards of 1000 dollars per unit. Just some food for thought.

what if a button breaks from usage?, i doubt ill find replacements, same for the battery wearing out, and i also have experienced terrible input lag on android when trying to use a lot of Bluetooth gamepads, in the end i gave up trying. Even touch controls seem to be faster.

Ah yes, I remember when I fell for that ruse. Back when I was a fucking newfag who should lurk moar

As somebody anal about latency I just hooked my XBOX One S controller up to my Galaxy 7 and installed retroarch, I'll see how bad the latency is in a second

As an old old old fag who grew up with Contra on the NES at 11 years old I am not noticing any delays

But I am also old, so my reflexes are probably not what they were as a child so take that as you will

I usually didn't get much latency with NES games, but was most noticeably in fighting games like MvC were pulling out a super was a pain in the ass due to the three punch buttons not registering at the same time

Hasn't been the case in years

let me suck you off

Haven't tried custom roms but the buttons all have different levels of resistance. The shoulder buttons are somewhat sensitive compared to every other button while the common face buttons have moderate resistance. Slightly more than the face buttons on a PS4 controller. The START, SELECT, R/L3, and other buttons are all the most resistant compared to everything else so it's not easy to accidentally press them down but it's not hard enough to be a burden. Overall, the buttons are good. As for weight, it's on par with the 3DS XL.

The Win 2 doesn't use an ARM processor you mouth-breathing troglodyte.

Why are you posting about the Win in an Android handheld thread, anyway?

Do you use your brain at all before hitting that "New Reply" button? This isn't hard user, we learned about context-clues in like 2nd grade

Enjoy your 2 hours of battery life

It's not 2010 anymore user, Intel and to a lesser extent AMD started giving a shit about portability. I say lesser extent on the AMD side at least until AMD comes up with revamped cat cores/E-series APUs to compete with Atoms.

Let me tell you how retarded ARM is, ARM designs are around battery life and thermals, okay, great, they're not as heavily pipelined as x86. This means they perform significantly less, with the latest ARMv8 cores scoring less than half the IPC (instructions per cycle) as X86

Normally that's not an issue, because again, ARM is designed to control power output and heat. Here's the problem; It fucking can't even do that right. The most powerful ARM chips use ARMs big.little config to keep power output and thermals under control. Which is literally a massive fucking hack job, it tells the kernel to switch to completely different lower-powered cores when going to low-power mode. The more powerful cores have a TDP comparable to Intel Atoms. Which again, have significantly better IPC than ARM do to architecture differences, while being able to scale to low-power better because Intel and AMD figured this shit about back in the fucking 90s

ARM is a meme

Apologies for the misunderstanding, Señor Kirby.

Es buena mi amigo

what did he mean by this?

Except that now we have optimizations for ARM shits, so a lot of Android games run better on ARM-based devices. Meanwhile, x86 is still the better choice for anything not Android and can do a wider variety of things thanks to Linux and Wine.

Stop bullying my wallet.

gtfo out weebtrash

Smells like 10bux around here.

Moto Z Play has this as an add-on

That's just the preorder price user. The final product adds $250 to that.

The "le imageboard :DDD" argument doesn't work outside of cuckchan. We're not shackled by their atrocious culture.

You're right, here we can announce reports. Reported (^:

Joke's on you kiddo, I'm best friends with the cake kike.

We aren't shackled by anything, but a large majority of users are weebs. Acting like the weebs don't belong smells like goons.

Don't mind me, I'm just paranoid about 10buxers deciding that people can't have fun.

Weeaboos barely even exist here. Anime otakus? I'm sure there are plenty. Or at least there's a bunch that prefer JP games over western games.

Is there any decent ds emulator for android because im not gonna give money to the jews behind DraStic

DraStic is the only one worth using
Just pirate it like any other android app

Any website that you use for those purposes?
i also heard that the devs behind DraStic cuck their software to piss off pirates fags

Never had any issues with it
Just download an apk and remove the licenses using luckypatcher.

happychick.hk
They even provide roms

Heres a free tip for you, never download anything chinese on your android device.

I did this to my pc too, at best the chink gonna find out all my other pirated apks, nothing of value was lost

Whats the fucking point?
If you want to suck AIDS ridden dicks "but with a condom" go ahead, don't shill your poz fantasies to others.

It's two separate phone m8, chink aids is not airborne

I was looking at the moto gamepad and even made a thread about it, embed related is a good summary
I ultimately decided against it because reportedly the thing still has input lag despite not using bluetooth, so maybe there's something to the claims that android has built-in input lag. Also reportedly the sticks are oversensitive and there may be too-large deadzones (which would probably account for the sticks feeling too sensitive).
Really what seals it for me though is the shoulder buttons that light up when you press ANY button (not just shoulders), how fucking garish and gimmicky can you get. 'cause I really want to put on a light show for other people when I play sanic in public.

Fuck that's a shame, my older brother was looking forward to that. If only there was a Xperia Play 2 or something like that for emulation.

I just use one of these to play shit on my phone, it's pretty nice.

Worth the price of admission?

I have the Famicom version of that. I like it.

Depends on how often you play roms on your phone, I guess. It also works as a Switch controller sans motion controls, so that made my purchase worth it even more. It's a cheaper alternative for Mario Kart controllers than pro controllers or more joycons.

It has been a while since I've programmed games for Android, but I was forced to take a multithreaded approach to input to avoid the lag you speak of. Android handles input events poorly and it can affect processing with naive implementations. This was far more noticeable on earlier devices as it caused slowdowns. Today, it probably feels like input lag.