Is there any reason to play this game after the halfway point?

I finally decided to try this game out after it's been shilled a ton on here.

The most interesting aspect for me was the resourcefulness. Fishing rod can be made out of rope & a rod, but you can even use a knife on the fishing rod to get your rope back if you needed it. Maybe carry a rolling pin on your person incase you encounter flour so you can make pies. Everytime you find a bottle it's like a mini-upgrade because you can carry more potions/water/wine. You need to manage your inventory space because it runs out fast.

All this shit disappears halfway through. Food is fucking everywhere and nobody cares if you steal from them so there's no point to cook. You'll eventually find enough locations with 8-10 bottles stashed up so eventually you have more bottles than you know what to do with. Shortly after finding your first backpack (doubled inventory) you can buy another one (tripled inventory), so you don't need to worry about inventory space at all but on top of that you can fucking teleport, so if you find shit you might want to sell or stash for later you can just teleport back to wherever you're stashing your loot.

I liked the exploration but it was amplified by the fact you're scavenging for resources. It's starting to seem like all that's disappearing so what's the point?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Development_snapshots
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I really like the atmosphere, being underground because of a frozen surface, but good christ the game play and story is shit.

Nigga it's not fucking Minecraft. The point is to defeat Akbaa.

What said. Who cares about their version of generic villain.

I'm just telling you what the point of the game is, since you seem to think it's a survival sim.

You where the first person to mention survival sim

The fact OP found the survival elements becoming obsolete a deal-breaker clearly shows they're worth including. You might as well say the same thing about the second half of SoC:

It comes back later.
Deeper levels don't have convenient teleporters so you'll have to stock up before traveling through them. They'll also don't have as many resources like that either.
If you haven't been in the crypt for instance, or the Dwarven Mines, you are missing out on this.

However if that was the aspect of the game you liked the most, then go ahead and get Arx Libertatis instead.
It's a mod for the game that adds a lot more similar content, from leather tanning and some crafting to many more recipes and other tidbits.
It also helps a lot with spellcasting by fixing the resolution issue or something so you're better off with it anyway.

The point is to have fun, always. It just so happens that Arx Fatalis gameplay lets you have fun with a very neat crafting mechanic and inventory system, something that other RPGs do not. If the whole point of the game was to defeat the big bad evil, you were better off playing Final Fantasy instead.

And by the way, no it fucking isn't. There's a crap load more to the story than Akbaa and it's not like you even defeat him anyway.
Defeat a god, now that's rich… Why don't you go tip your fedora and play some Personna or something?

That's the whole role of your character though, the only reason he is even in Arx. You don't have the freedom to single-mindedly pursue the final boss in a FF game while ignoring the rest of the story.

Someone didn't actually played the game till the end or did the rest of the quests…
You're not there to kill Akbaa, you're there to stop a god from breaking the rules that bind entities like him, you're there to restore balance.
You're also there to stop his cult, to clear up the story with the royal family and put the war at rest.
You're there to bring balance because the times are changing and something else is coming. Something that the entirity of Arx needs to be ready for.

Implying implications.
You can't "purse the final boss" because the story hasn't advanced yet to the point you know who the final boss is, or that they force you to see a bunch of character development before you can do that.

So fucking what? What's the meteor sword? What's the quest for that helm? What's the whole stuff with the Dragon? What's every single part of the game before you regain your memories?
Even when you already know who Akbaa is and what you have to do, you still can't go after him without interrogating prisoners, chatting up the snek ladies, fighting Ylsides, being kidnapped by the Rebels or bartering with a Dragon.

This the crypt is among the most awesome parts of the game thanks to the mechanics that Arx Fatalis employs to deal with the enemies there.

So did you even get to the Dwarf's floor yet? If you think you're at the halfway point you're not even at the third way point.

It improves again a few hours after where you are.

Never have I been more frightened playing a WRPG playing this. Game gives me anxiety any moment you can fuck up and die.
Still stuck on the crypt puzzle from 2 years ago, I post every thread lel.

Do I play it vanilla or with Arx Libertatis?

There's not reason to play without Libertatis.
It's simply the same game with fixes and more content.

If you're a purist who wants to see how the game was at release (discounting resolution changes), yeah. Otherwise, what said

I don't get what the fuss is about, you just passed hobo phase. Sure, it sucks that scavenging isn't as vital, but, even if plentiful, supplies are still limited, and just because you can carry 50+ potions on you doesn't mean you're gonna get endless herbs to replenish them once you come back.
Also the teleporter isn't even that big of a deal, it's mostly there to function as a checkpoint of sorts as well as making travelling less of a hassle because, although earlier levels are fairly connected, the path to deeper ones is a linear downward trek from floor X to Y. Things don't respawn either, so there's little incentive in backtracking/traversing the same places over and over, other than looking for things you might've missed.

Does the extra content in Arx Libertatis make it worth a second playthrough for someone who's already played vanilla?

I don't know what you've been playing, but Arx Libertatis isn't that kind of mod. It's described as a port. I'll just quote from their page on what it is intended to do:

It does not add new content or restore any kind of old/cut content. However, that last point "provide for further improvements" means that Libertatis IS meant to provide/improve mod support, so I wouldn't be surprised if you downloaded it bundled with mods and assumed they were part of Libertatis.

Things respawn after certain story points.

That puzzle isn't too hard.

Yeah. It's why better. Get this version wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Development_snapshots

Meant to say backtracking without making progress for the most part, a few things change as you progress, sure, but those are often in areas that you'll revisit as part of the story, or a sidequest, as well.

Neat, guess I'll check it out later.

I keep getting stuck at this EVERYTIME I PLAY THIS FUCKING GAME.
Had to watch a vid in youtube.
Not even now I remember.
Yes, I can manage the general idea of the puzzle. I could even brute force it.
My problem is the interface. I can't get exactly what is expected from me:
- Should I just place the items over something?
- Should I double click them?
- Should I double click the surface?
- Should I put them over the rod, over the circle surfaces, over the diamond surfaces?

Pros:
- Easier to cast spells
- More resolutions available
- Better graphics, I guess
- Less bugs
Cons:
- You have to download it and install it, duh
- Not the original experience, lol
- Since you're running a different .exe it doesn't count as playing a Steam game

Highlights of Arx:
- Atmosphere. This is the most important aspect.
- Playing warrior/stealth/mage actually makes a difference. Warriors have it easier although beating the final guards require a lot of hits: powerful mages can beat them with 1-2 spells.
- Sound. Game doesn't even have a proper soundtrack, it's all about the sound the wind makes when going through the central artificial tunnels, feeding the caves with oxygen. Listen how it whistles when in town. How all the little sfx sound louder when in silence in the darkness. How invisible enemies (rats!) hide from you, preparing for their attacks. Oh, the voice of your character is actually good "A real alchemist!"
- The Crypt. The first four levels are required for the main quest, the last two are for an optional but pretty useful unique treasure.
- Dwarven mines.

You don't even need the items at first. Just rotate the pictures to be the same as the carvings on the floor of the previous room. Then put the items on the pillars that pop up.

I'll go through vanilla first, then Libertatis if I run into any bugs I guess.

There's no reason to play vanilla.

Autism.

The game(GOG) runs super choppy for me. But then I barely tap WASD and I fly in whatever direction I hit at very high speed. I can only assume the game logic is tied to the drawing somehow.

Its completely unplayable.

Use Arx Liberatis.

There is no reason to play vanilla, Arx Liberatis is just vanilla but moddable if you wanted to so playing Arx Liberatis is just replaying Vanilla again unless you snagged some Mods and didn't know about it.

Beat GOG version without problems.
Check the video configuration or try Libertatis, it's open source so it's pretty clean and light.

The word you're looking for is "recommended".