Shitter devs "inspired" by Ico

archive.is/vX2Ez
Maybe they took the handholding too seriously or something, I can't think of any other similarities between Ico and crappy AAA shit like Uncharted 3.
Team Ico thread, I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/QSR8dhBW
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also, here's a comparison of the SotC remake and the original. It's technically impressive but the art direction sucks and you need to shell out for a PS4 Pro if you want 60fps so don't bother.

SPOILER THAT SHIT

The Uncharted 3 dev might've been referring to TLoU. Ico gets a lot of dicksucking because it was a high profile art game that released when the PS2 was coming out of its no gaems phase after launch. It has the bare minimum interactivity to be called a game while focusing more on avant garde (for the time) storytelling in gaming. Ico is their ideal, since it lets them be Hollywood without having to compete with Hollywood 1:1 in the same medium.

Really nigger?

I want to reach through the screen and punch whoever wrote that.

Nigger what? You literally have to do all the puzzles and platforming without any hand-holding, or with it. You get the idea.

I'm going to be that guy, just say it.

Ico is garbage, and anyone claiming otherwise is looking at it through nostalgia goggles with lenses 3 inches thick.

It's a walking simulator with no failure mode, minimal puzzle elements, with a hideous brown n' bloom aesthetic, and the only defense anyone ever really has for the game is "muh atmosphere and feels"

If it was released today, even halfchan Holla Forums would be shitting on it.

Is this what they call "meme spacing"?

Ico sucks total ass. I'm not baiting and I'm not sorry. I even enjoyed The Last Guardian more and that's saying a lot. It's walking simulator hand-holding trash and it doesn't get points for being
-on the PS2
-from Japan
-from Team Ico
The in-game world and its concepts are cool though.

Of course there is, if Yorda is taken by the shadows you're kicked back to the last checkpoint.

You can also die if you fall off shit.

Goddamnit, lots of no-taste faggots around here.

Both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus games are horrendously overrated. They're not bad games by any means, but they're not masterpieces either. There are least 50 games on the PS2 alone that are much better.

I like Team Ico's shit except for The Last Guardian, not wasting my shekels on a PS4 for a janky dog AI demo but they really have a knack for attracting pretentious idiots.

Fifty games, go. I'm not being facetious, PS2 has a great library, see how far you can get before you have to start considering if it's better than a Team Ico game or not

I'm not sure how the SotC remaster will turn out still. Lots of mixed reports so I'm just gonna check it out myself.

they're one of a kind games that did things that no other game has really come close to doing as well or even attempting. SotC still has the best battles with giant monsters, still has the best horse riding, and ico is still a perfect vehicle for the story it tells and the game it is.

They're so worth playing for what they achieve that no other game has attempted or has done so poorly.

Why the fuck didn't they praise THAT? You know, the actual fucking game part which was kind of cool? I get the impression that Team Ico suffers too much from a fanbase who are obsessed with "muh atmosphere".

Minimalism does that in any medium. I don't remember where exactly it was, but one of the dev commentary nodes in Left 4 Dead (or L4D2) mentioned how the audio guys had been struggling to make each "pinned" state for hunters, smokers, and so on distinct, because each one has different theme music. Eventually, they realized that just playing the theme music and muting most other audio was the most effective way to make the players feel immersed, because they would focus on the music and fill in most other auditory details like gunfire and voice lines.

I think his line was something like "When you present people with simple, straightforward audio or visual presentation, they tend to think of it more fondly than something complex because they can mentally fill in the gaps themselves. The more you try to make something elaborate, the more likely it is for the sound to be muddied by everything else in the game."

Not revolutionary stuff, but it does explain why underageb& faggots like the guys in this thread are talking about how SotC and Ico "aren't that good." They probably knew all the important plot details going in and sat back on their couches, thinking "alright, impress me, video game." You have to give something to a game as minimalist as a Team Ico product in order to get something from it.

It's a fucking shame too because SotC has amazing mechanics.
The horse behaves in a really interesting way, really close to how a real horse would, and you have to learn to ride him properly, and the giant slaying segments are well crafted action puzzles, with better climbing mechanics than any game made before or since (as far as I know).
But people focusing on the wrong reasons as to why it's good is a fairly common thing if the person doesn't understand games well. Same thing happened to Dark Souls more recently. A ton of casuals played it, they knew the game was obviously good, but they were incapable of describing why, so we hear the stupid "it's good because it's hard but in a good way" explanation people use.

Ace Combat 4
Ace Combat 5
Ace Combat Zero
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3(either version)
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts Covenant
Sly Cooper
Sly 2
Jak and Daxter
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Okami
God Hand
Devil May Cry 3(either version)
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
Spider Man 2
Steambot Chronicles
Radiata Stories
Growlanser Generations
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VIII
Hitman: Silent Assassin
Hitman: Contracts
Hitman: Blood Money
Wild Arms 3
Front Mission 4
Front Mission 5
Armored Core Nexus
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Beyond Good and Evil
Katamari Damacy
We Love Katamari
Ape Escape 2
Ape Escape 3
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
Metal Arms
Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim
SMT: Nocturne
SMT: Digital Devil Saga
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 2
SMT: Devil Summoner 2
Odin Sphere
Yakuza
Yakuza 2

People use the "artsy" shit cause the main complaint levied against the game is "the horse riding is boring I NEED ACTION NAO".

The absolute madman. The PS2 really did have a fuckhuge library.

You do know how laughably bad this port is? RIGHT?
None of these are better than SotC

Did you mean MGS3? That was the one with the awful PS2 performance.

I am talking bout Chaos Theory. Gaze upon the abyss

Console differences back then were some shit. A lot of PS2 versions of games that were also available on other consoles were very low effort. Killer 7 was loading screen hell, for instance.

Funnily enough, it runs like crap on PS3 too. A very large portion of the game is effectively in slow motion.

Let's not forget about RE4 on PS2, not even the cutscenes are real time and most of the lightning is missing.

Oh, I thought that first line applied to the first five and the last line applied to the last two, got it.
I've heard, I only ever played the PC version. I think I would agree that it's better than SotC.

I don't agree with more than a few of his choices (like BGE or Odin Sphere) but the point is he actually provided a list when he could have told me to fuck myself, so he did fulfill his end. He listed 51, anyway, and still missed a few obvious choices like Fatal Frame 2, Siren, Viewtiful Joe, or Devil May Cry 1.

Really? I thought I remembered the HD Collection running alright, it definitely had some issues on emulator for a while.

The PS2 version certainly isn't.

I mean, they made the cutscenes run at 60 fps as opposed to the 30 on PS2. There's stuttering whenever Volgin's lightning is on screen though. And then there's whole sections (like Groznij Grad, for instance), where it just won't hit the target framerate and thus runs slower.
I never played the 360 version though. It's probably the best version (barring emulation).
although it's at least not as bad as the 3DS

Bullshit.

Well not bullshit.

There are also several missing graphical effects in the PS3 version of MGS2 such as the bugs when that sheboon walks during that one scene, forgot her name.

I know what you mean. SotC is one of the every few games that actually does large combat encounters correctly. There's a ton of games in a ton of genres that try to implement large boss battles, but they all feel like shitty set-pieces and are usually easy as fuck. Take the Souls games for example. You spend five minutes rolling around slicing the ankles of giant knights/beasts, or you have to stagger them in some way to hit weakpoints. The Tower Knight and Dragon God in DeS are good examples of this, and DaS2 has the shitty giants and King Giant fight. The concept of hitting big guy's in their weakpoints to deal damage is nothing new, but I can't help but feel it's really shitty design. Nintendo games in particular do this a lot. The Metroid Prime series has many giant bosses, but you could easily reduce them to big, walking flashing targets that you have to hit in the same spot repeatedly. This shit happens in cycles, and usually gets harder as the fight goes on. This is used in a lot of games, but it's ultimately pretty uninteresting.

Shadow of the Colossus is great because it considers not only the size of any enemy, but the shape and physiology of it as well. Not all bosses are just a big human dude who will swing or stomp at you, but snakes, birds, chameleons, turtles, mammoths, giant flying sandworms, etc. They all have their own forms of locomotion that determines how they attack or shake you off, which is cool. The climbing mechanic works really well with this, and their overall shape and size can give you varying difficulties when it comes to scaling the colossi (not to mention how their shape might give you natural rest points). The whole game is designed around these creatures and how to climb them; to the point that all arenas where you fight them offer terrain that you can use to your advantage. You can still make the same arguments like "There are still highlighted targets you have to hit to deal damage" or "The fights are still cyclical (if you fall off a colossi)", but the overall quality of the encounters are top-notch because the entire game is suited and built specifically for those types of battles.

Anyway, people just say "muh atmosphere and feels" because they aren't literate enough to verbalize why they like the game. People can make the argument that the game is good because it has good art direction and good world design (which it does), but it's a matter of opinion if someone thinks a game's art direction carries more weight than it's mechanics.

You sure about that? I know there are some missing effects, but I just looked up that scene, and the bugs appear to be there when Fortune is walking.

I don't think it's a matter of opinion, I think it's a matter of understanding what makes a good game good.
A shitty reviewer would write about how great the atmosphere and art direction is, only talking superficially about how colossi slaying actually works, maybe even throw in some opinions on what he thinks teh game's message is (this is more prevalent nowadays but I remember it existing in the PS2 era already).
A good reviewer would write about how great the atmosphere and art direction is, and how it ties perfectly with exploring the world and your goals in the game. He would mention how the world is well designed so the rides to the fights are a good length and make you go through interesting visuals, while also giving you opportunities to take small detours to get fruits or lizards. He would also talk about the things you talked about regarding how well the fights are done, how they're designed with the environment in mind, how some of them involve using the horse, how varied they are regardless of how limited the things you can do in the game actually are…

Must have been patched in

Reminds me of some article a while back about some western indieshits making a tactical RPG "inspired" by Xenogears and Shadow Hearts, with the comments on it being about how they clearly didn't understand the works they were claiming inspiration from. Comes off like Square trying to claim Setsuna was a proper successor to Chrono Trigger.

user, please.

I think that's what I like most about the game. What you can actually do in the game is very limited. You can jump, climb, stab, shoot a bow and arrow, and ride a horse. Those are the only actions the player can do in the game. Mechanically, you kill colossi and can pick up small upgrades with this small moveset. That's it. It sounds like a very simple and restrictive experience, but when I sit down for 3 hours or so and beat SotC I feel pretty satisfied at the end. It's a nice, pinpoint-accurate, complete experience. There's no nagging loose ends or post-game content or dlc or whatever bullshit. I guess you can find the secret shrine and get missing lizards and shit but it's pretty minimal. What I'm getting at is that you don't see many games being made like this, at least in the AAA games industry. I feel like when I beat a game nowadays, that the experience is incomplete somehow, or I'm wanting more but the post-game content just doesn't satisfy that itch. A lot of games just feel really unfocused, which is a really general statement I know but I can't shake that feeling. Maybe what I'm getting at is that SotC is one of those few games that I can beat and feel neither underwhelmed or wanting more, like it's exactly the right length with the right amount of content that satisfies some really vague interest of what I want out of a video game. I guess that's what the subtractive design is really about.

I think it achieves that because it's a more "arcadey" game. It's structurally closer to what you'd find in the early SNES life cycle than in the PS2. I'd compare that experience you described with Megaman X, for instance.
I don't know why big devs are so afraid to make short games nowadays. And don't get me wrong, my favorite game from last year was botw, but I'd love to see companies going back to making games you can sit down and go through all the content in one afternoon. Some indie devs do this I guess, but they're just not as good as capcom or konami were at their prime.

Silent Hill 4? Seriously?

It's because they're afraid it won't sell due to it's "lacking amount" of content (Especially since companies are depending on the game to get them back into the black). Why should someone spend $40-$60 on a game that lasts 4-6 hours with no extra content when they could spend that same money on a game that last 2-3 times that length with side-missions, unlockables, and secrets (And, multiplayer)?
From the games I've played, I'd say that Halo:CE, The Darkness II (Even with the cliffhanger), and Medal of Honor 2010 (Excluding the the after-credits scene) manage to do that. Remove the multiplayer from all of these titles, and they still feel like complete packages.

Never underestimate the depths of Holla Forums's contrarianism.

Though there are fags, not every user wants games with little content.

Name one thing vidya related that Holla Forums has a consensus on. You can't, because Holla Forums is not one person.

Fallout 4 is shit? NoA is shit? Mark is one of the best board owners on the site? We all "want to"/"fantasize about" put on pretty dresses and sucking cock?

You got 3/4 right.

Why are there so many homos projecting their sick sodomite desires onto others on this site?

Why are there so many anons who flip a fucking tit at the oldest fucking joke on this site? It's a banner for fuck's sake.

here's your response

It was a good thread while it lasted.

I sorta agree. SoTC was fun and Last Gaurdian was alright. Ico is a very cool concept with nice art and music but its honestly not very entertaining to play. Felt more like a sloppy tech demo.

Miyazaki secretly inspired the creation of Bioshock Infinite,within his malice to destroy anime genious forward thinking to save anime he knew he first had to destroy save videogames so in a final act of bitter vengeance selfless self-sacrifice he laid the foundations for future generations to follow in his footsteps before cryogenically freezing himself and launching himself into orbit leaving a body-double behind to ease the transition and hide the terrible truth from the rest of the world

Well, i'd hope shorter single player games would also be cheaper than average. If every big company had a smaller team dedicated to making smaller games that sold for cheaper, I don't see how that could be something negative for them. Shorter costs and shorter production times to make things that could make them look good and more profits on the side.

I've never complained about that because I never played any yearly release COD. And don't be fucking stupid, I'm talking about 4 hour games that are good, well made, complete. Do the yearly COD campaigns qualify as that type of game?
Holla Forums isn't one person, you retard.

Holy fucking hell you niggers are stupid. I've been here for years and I have yet to see any examples of the last post from the first pic. The problem is that Holla Forums's input box is way too fucking narrow and what appears as a huge paragraph ends up being one, MAYBE two lines of text on the full-width site.

On my screen the previous "paragraph" is seven lines tall. Even this shit is three lines, and it's barely two complete sentences.

Even if there are people who do meme spacing here on the site they're in a vast minority compared to people who just type naturally and separate their shit into what look like proper paragraphs (1 sentence, 5 lines tall).

Considering how much this shitty meme derails discussions (needlessly in 99% of cases) it really should become a bannable offence.

They should ban your ass for writing like a retard.

You see that little textured corner at the bottom right of the post box? That's how you resize the post box. The same way that every text box is resized in every fucking browser since forever.
(Checked)
Very nice.

Why

you

do

this?

Yes, and barely anyone bothers with it.

Sage

for

double

Because just like the rest of this board, I have no problems writing properly and my quints confirms it.

Excellent digits.

I'm not a fan of the meme spacing argument, but this line of thinking is utter cancer and you know it.

To be fair, it returns back to the default stupidly small size every time you reopen it. I wish it was better implemented like pic related.

Nigger most people skip tutorials, close Windows errors without reading them and generally never bother with anything other than what's directly in front of them. This is UX 101 and it holds true for everything and everyone, everywhere. If you use the resize box you're technically a "power user".

Did they do that on purpose? Their remaster of the Uncharted trilogy was pretty good, everything run at 60fps on the normal PS4.

Forgive me for assuming that Holla Forumsirgins in general were the sort of people who would open the options menu before starting the game, which they historically have been.

Try this CSS. It's a hack-job, but it should give you something approximating what you want.
pastebin.com/QSR8dhBW

You're assuming people aren't idiots, which is setting oneself up for disappointment from the very start.

(Checked)
You're arguing that there's nothing wrong with behaving like an idiot because being an idiot is common. The response to being informed about a simple and useful tool that solves the exact problem one is complaining about should not be "well why should I have to use a tool?"

Tell me Holla Forums, are you proud of how much of a mountain you've made out of this fucking molehill?

Actually my complaint is that people misjudge the incorrect use of the tool as something worse (meme spacing) which has a lot of potentially good threads / post sinking and getting derailed due to kneejerk reactions. I'm all in for educating people, but slow the fuck down with the witch hunting.

I played MGS3 for the first time on the 3DS
It wasn't even that bad, it's a stealth game so its not like you need to make any quick aiming decisions, and it has some nice things that the other versions don't have like crouch walking and moving while aiming
The framerate is abysmal though

You're speaking as if this were some elaborate task. Stop being a god damned nigger.

Back to Reddit.

I didn't even bring up meme spacing. I only entered the conversation because he said that the reason he wasn't adhering to text formatting standards was because the post box wasn't a size that made it easy, which implies that he would adhere to them if there was an easy solution, which I knew there was. Text formatting standards exist because they improve readability and comprehension. If someone takes the time to write something, it's logical to assume that they want to be understood as best as possible, which is why kids are taught text formatting in elementary school along with writing. It applies to all text, not just text on specific monitor resolutions and aspect ratios that didn't exist when text formatting was invented. So yes, if you care enough to write something at all, you should care enough to take the two seconds to expand your text box to make sure that your text flows properly. Both you and the people reading it win.

But if you are using a 4:3 monitor, I do recommend getting something better at your earliest convenience. I had to use one recently and forgot how inferior it was to 16:9 and 16:10.

I'll agree with that.

Says the people who are complaing because they have to… well I don't even know how to describe the action because it's so fucking trivial, the entirety of your complaints it that posts aren't arranged the way you want them to be, I still can't believe this something to argue over.

It's also not hard to put the toilet seat back down every time you piss, but that doesn't mean you're going to want to bother to remember to do it every time, just to appease the stupid fucking bitch who actually complains about that does it? Yes that's the fucking level you're sinking to here.

Going by what what I've heard, only 4: Modern Warfare and the Treyarch's games (WaW, BLOPS trilogy) have had good campaigns.

Or the devs are that inefficient.

The problem I have with games taking "inspiration" from good games is they often build an entire game on just a part of that good game or they misinterpret what was good about the game.
Like how Rime was made by an obvious Ico/SoTC fanboy but all they seem to have taken from those games is that you play as a noodle-appendaged protag who stumbles and falls over a lot. But the retards don't understand that only works in Ico/SoTC because it's there to emphasize how much of an underdog the protagonist is and how much harder you have to work as the player to succeed. This simply doesn't work in a game like Rime where is little to no combat to speak of.

Go back to school, nigger. Being able to write properly is the foundation for an intelligent society and bad writing should never be excused.

Can confirm. Modern Warfare had a nice, grounded-in-reality story. World At War has no holds barred on showing WWII, the game starts with your squad getting killed at Japanese PoW camp.
Black Ops one was fun action romp with a fun dabbling of conspiracy storytelling. (And the once secret white house zombie level was great). Can't say much about the other Blop games, though. As I stopped playing the series after Blops because of it's infamous hit registry problem with the online play.

t. phonefag
If this thread keeps going on longer you will probably out yourself as a redditor as well like you faggots always do.

Also have you never read a single website article in your life?

Funnily enough I did figure some dumbass was going to think I was talking about phones

Maybe not openly or even consciously but anyone labeling his pretentious spoutings as innovative should be slapped.

Opinion discarded

>"muh atmosphere and feels"

Is there something wrong with that? That's why I play single player games you know. For the story.

If you have trouble with the default textbox, then I suggest that you use notepad++ and the like. Just keep a scratch.txt file in your desktop or something. Use that space to draft and edit before posting, then copy-paste when you're satisfied. You don't even have to delete when you're done, just add line spaces between drafts. Your old drafts can even be used as references for future posts that way.

I follow the rule of thumb which states that each paragraph should hold a particular group of ideas. If a sentence presents an idea that is different from the others in the paragraph, then that sentence should be edited into a new paragraph. Larger paragraphs then become readable given that each block follows a singular subject or a singular train of thought.

With that said, I don't mind meme spacing too much. If the thoughts are disparate enough to warrant multiple single-sentence paragraphs, then I actually find that understandable. Afterall, the degree of closeness between ideas can be highly subjective. The writer's thought organization dictates the readers' pace. And honestly, not all posters have the time to think out the logical sequences of their posts from start to finish while also trying to say everything they want about a subject.

All these underage faggots on Ico, which is a legitimately good environmental puzzle game.

Ico is Flashback/Another World for numale soyboys.

so are we the regressives now? whatever they like we must hate?

they're significantly different games

Here's why people praise the atmosphere and art so much, you go to an area and find the boss. There isn't fifty map markers or a dozen hidden items, you don't go to an area and spend the whole time combing through the dirt for collectibles or completing fetch quests. You go to an area and you experience it, then you find your objective. You're never in the same spot for too long and the areas are varied enough to catch your eye every time. The game has no padding.

Ico's only difference is it's in 3D.

Yearly upgrade nigga