Hotline Miami

Okay so I know that I am quite late to the party but, I just finished Hotline Miami for the first time and boy, that ending was just fucking garbage. A bunch of crazy "nationalist scumbags" extorting people into doing thier bidding? This game would have been so much better without a story, its been almost three years since I played HM2 (which I played first) but I don't remember that one being any good story-wise either. Also Charlie is the coolest mask.

I wouldnt say that the 50 blessings were "bad" in a since. The story was convoluted as all hell but I got the impression that there was not good or bad actors or really any point to it all.

50 Blessings aren’t nationalist. They are opportunists that seized on nationalism in order to make use of the disaffected veterans of the Russo-American war as well as anyone with a grudge after San Francisco. The figurehead of the organization, the Colonel from Hawaii might have started the group for purely American reasons. But I never got any kind of nationalist vibe from the janitors. They just find guys like Jake and Jacket with axes to grind and set them on the mob i might be wrong it’s been a year since I played those games

You better not be from NeoFAG…

The fuck are you talking about? They have a name?

/thread
Story its not the thing you play Hotline miami for its just there as a backdrop

What was the other isometric shooter game that came out recently? Reducer or some shit. There should be more instadeath games like that.

Get the secret ending and the janitor's speech is completely different.

I like how the Russians are the group who are being scapegoated against. If the game came out today do you think it would be different due to how it's ok to hate Russians now?

I did, and its a piece of shit. I prefer when they told me to fuck off, a much better ending if you ask me

It has always been

These games had a story?

Good thing nobody did, go back to neofag.

what? How the fuck is anything I said considered Neofag?

Ruiner.

Why?

1 > 2
2 > 1

Is this actually any good or are people just enamoured with the atmosphere and audio design? I was never all that impressed with Cactus's game design sensibilities back when he was doing freeware. Kryzta and Ad Nauseum 2 are probably his best games and that's not saying much.

Maybe play it for yourself instead of asking people you suspect are biased.

You mean… make an unauthorized copy?

I didn't have a single clue what was going on when I played HM. I don't even know why Jacket wanted to kill the mob boss with the tigers. I didn't even skip the interlude segments so I don't understand how I missed so much. Guess I've got brain problems.

You obviously didn't get the memo. If you disagree with him about anything, you're from NeoGAF.

HM2 only had 1 good song.

The game is still unplayable to an extent because of the fucking wavy cam. I would punch the guy who refused to remove that if he were on my team.

That's ok. A big part of this is that the decor in Jacket's apartment changes each level, like a pamphlet on a table or clothes in the bathroom, and includes interactable and non-interactable bits that explain things including your mob boss question.

I always assumed the twist was kind of bad on purpose.
The real plot is there is no plot. You did it all because it was fun, and it's a video game.

As for Hotline Miami 2, I never really got a good feel for what that game was trying to say, but I'd say it's about the reaction to the first game.

never understood the hype surrounding this game

You're a meme.

The russians have never stopped being at least somewhat antagonistic. What changed in the 2016 elections is retards thinking everything they don't like comes from them.

not an argument

You're conforming to the current Holla Forums groupthink that there are no good indie games, and pixel art is always bad.
You're a meme person, living a meme life. Stop it.

i never said there are no good pixelshit games
i said this game is shit
stop being a retard

The game isn't shit. It's a lot of fun.

Shut the fuck up meme faggot

Shit nigger why

are you retarded?

It makes me wonder how pozzed someone has to be to think that people have to conform to some sort of opinion on a game genre on a board without user accounts. Fuck off to reddit you walking trash heap.

Anyway, I never saw the appeal of HM either. The story was just there as a backdrop, the aesthetic wasn't exactly to my taste, the music was just some droning retro-80's-actually-10's electro and most importantly the top-down view was not used to the games advantage since everything was low-quality pixelshit blobs. I was ready to forgive all that, but the gameplay was overall unsatisfying and cookie-cutter. I've seen flash games do this sort of gameplay better.

(checked)
memers btfo

Mr. Shifty

So theres no substance?

There's a video game. If that's not what you came for, maybe this isn't the genre for you.

You have to keep in mind that Biker is just another character with his own views. 50B did nothing wrong, in the setting the commies didn't collapse and are actually much more powerful than in our timeline. When the US is occupied in a fashion similar to how the Allies are occupying Germany, 50B is the only real way to fight back. Biker may have had more lefty/anarchist/individualist views so he didn't like what the 50B were trying to do, but his dislike of them doesn't imply that they're bad guys.

In HM2, the actions of the Russians are given more exposition and it's shown that they're trafficking weapons (among other things) to support a full physical revolution/putsch to crush America for good. 50B did nothing wrong and I wish the devs wouldn't have turned into lazy cowards so they could make a HM3, but we can't have nice things. They're probably cuck out on the plot anyways.

Yeah, but the ending of HM2 confused me.
Somehow they managed to assassinate the US figurehead President and the Russian Primere, kicking off nuclear war. So does that mean that there was a Russian equivalent to 50B working through things on their end. I’ve heard that this part of the ending is a reference to another Devolver game “Mother Russia Bleeds”, but making a reference a pivotal part of your story seems far fetched.

The ending to HM2 was written because the devs didn't want to make another HM game. That's literally it. They didn't even want to make HM2 but people liked HM enough to where they finally made it. It was some "violence just means nothing and brings ruin" moral that they used to cop out and end the series. It's hamfisted, which is why it doesn't make sense. No, there was no Russian 50B, unless you count the Russian mafia. The Russians were mad because their president was killed by 50B so they nuked the US. The End.

Clicking fast in linux doesn't work, it only registers clicks every few times.

I used to think this before I gave the it a good listen, I didn't evne play the game how garbage it was. HM1 is far superior

The HM1 port is good, but the GNU/Linux HM2 is fucking botched. I managed to finish it I do not know how, but truth is some of the enemies are bugged and can't be baited. What's worse is you MUST bait one of those as Tony if you want to proceed, because his reaction time allows him to kill you before you reach him, but he won't fucking leave his place in the GNU/Linux version, so you have to perform a shitty safety dance near some windows to make him unload his whole magazine,befire approaching him.

yeah why can't i skip every fucking cutscene, noticeably any fucking moment where i have to watch some gay shit happen in-game so i can see the next cutscene, i fucking hate it, i really hate it

works on my MACHINE

Which flash games? I'd genuinely like to play them.

I think that can be fixed by searching for "HOW THE FUCK DO I FIX THE POLLING RATE OF MY MOUSE ON THIS COMMUNIST PILE OF SHIT". After that spend the next few hours forum diving, searching for that one guy that not only has your exact setup and version of the problem, but has also posted the very specific list of incantations that you can copy and paste into the magic black mystery box of anti-usability. If it doesn't work don't worry about trying to fix whatever the hell you just fucked up. Just repeat the above until you grow older, no longer have free time to burn on a time-sink OS and finally give up.

Remember friends, windows fucks you, but linux hatefucks you.

So has the level editor for 2 taken off at all or is it DoA since the devs waited so long to release it?

Why don't you check you spoonfed nigger

Because I'm a lazy fuck and thought I might as well turn the thread to decent HM2 fan campaigns. Or someone would sperg about Midnight Animal and it's lazy art tracing bastard of a creator either or would be good.

He obviously doesn't have an answer.

I too would be interested in similar flash games.

Link me those flash games friend, if you have flash games that are better quality than Hotline Miami then I want to play that shit for sure

fukkin saved

friendly reminder that hotline miami 2 editor is a piece of shit

You know only the most biggest autists actually post in threads about games or topics that don't interest them. Since they don't post in those topics you will never actually hear their opinions regularly or interact with them regularly.

Those characters are suppose to be the fans who kept bitching at them to make the second game, which they didn't want to do in the first place. It more or less exists to shut them the fuck up, hence why there's a level editor and the game ends so conclusively.

I thought neogaf refugees stayed on cuckchan

I've been thinking about it a little more.
The fans - idolise the superficial elements of Jacket. Just want to be badass, wear masks and kill people like their idol.
Manny Pardo - Idolises Jacket from a vigilante perspective. Wants to do something about crime.
Jake - Idolises Jacket from a Nationalist perspective. Wants to do something about the foreigners invading his country.
Solider and Journalist - Lorefags, digging into the backstory, trying to figure out what is actually going on.