Western Horror Games

I have played all of the major Japanese horror games, but I haven't seen a single Western horror game worth its salt. While Dead Space was a good series, I wouldn't call it a horror series. Even the first one, which is supposedly the scariest, isn't very scary at all.

Why is Western horror so shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7rPiqo397lM
moddb.com/mods/unpredictable-alien-mod/downloads/unpredictable-alien
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because loljumpscares

Have you ever played Sanitarium? Harvester? Call of Cthulu?

adding on amnesia.
Also there's the meme games like SCP, slenderman, and FNAF

Western horror movies aren't good either, must have something to do with the obsession with psychopaths. Good western horror is mostly to be found in games that aren't primarily made to scare you, but rather unnerve with sinister and surreal environments and all that. Think system shock.

People's mileage varies greatly with Amnesia. You have to actively try not to treat Amnesia like a video game to get the most out of it, and a ton of people on Holla Forums just can't get out of that game tester mindset. I can't really blame them when the game's ultra scripted nature makes it so easy to figure out monster patterns, spawn locations, and things like that. The game also lacks any replay value whatsoever due to the before mentioned scripting of everything and anything. Soma did a bit better in that department by giving the game at least one monster that actually does patrol the area and react to sounds, but is shit in every other respect.

CoC was released back in 2005 and I don't see how the other two being point and click games is bad?

Play Scratches.

The typical western horror movie is not.
That isn't to say you can't find outliers, but they are just that.

Holy fuck you uneducated nigger. Go watch the thing, or the shining, or the mouth of madness.

Never watched a Gaspar Noé, Dario Argento, Ruggero Deodato film huh?

You could have so easily asked for western horror games, but no, you wanted to signal the fact you're a weeb right out of the gate.

I'm pretty sure OP is a beaner who's best way to shit on america is by pretending being retarded

He's not saying "America" though, he's saying the west, as in the fucking entirely of the west versus one nation in Asia.
I doubt OP has ever played a horror game from France or Russia Nips consider Russian westerners so it counts

name one

Here are some Western horror games I never really see brought up.

I agree with susan,please name some.

Pathologic

Or was that from Ukraine, nvm

Pathologic, Kholat and The Train.

Ice-Pick Lodge is a Russian developer.

Has anyone played Cryostasis?

forgot pic

yes, it's alright but very lacking tbh

Alien Isolation
Condemned
Darkwood

we had a game night of the suffering and tbh it's not a horror game it's a action game with horror themes tbh, also obscure isn't very good and either is martian gothic

I whole heartedly recommend the suffering
it's my favorite horror game of all time,might be nostalgia talking,but fuck it.

I see, gonna give it a download later

Its pretty unique, I can't recall of many games that mix 3rd and 1st person like that

What about Curse and Cold Fear then?

never played nor seen. alone in the dark remake wasn't terrible but it never captured the feeling of the original tbh I think I've seen abiut of cursed mountain but I'm unsure

Nightmare Creatures is getting a reboot. It will probably be a Dark Souls clone.
Cursed Mountain is a RE4 clone. Also this thing is never getting released

That reminds me…Dementium also exists (Though, I've only played the first).

Could be anyone

wow, looks like trash
youtu.be/7rPiqo397lM

Looks worse than the original.

No, it's not Ukrainian, you're thinking of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

And Metro.

I know a great horror game in the west
real life

Jap horror ain't shit. I watched The Ring, the one with the cursed tape, and I didn't even flinch. No wonder it was such weakshit, coming from a soyboy tier country and all. Even fucking Postal loading screens are scarier.

Which "The Ring"? The American remake or the Japanese original?

What about Knock-knock?

Open up the door it's real.

The original Japanese one. The actors where all Japanese, so I doubt it's an "American" remake. Still, it was soyboytier.

Just wondering, the Japanese versions name is just "Ring" and the American remake is "The Ring". Plots basically the same for both just one in Japan and the other in America. The Hollywood version definitely had more budget though.

Cryostasis doesn't count, does it?

Still, OP is a huge knob slobbing faggot.

underrated games, both are pretty good, although i've only played on the actual console. the control style worked pretty good but i don't know how well it translates on an emulator.

just seeing all these games vomited out instead of any reasons why they're good isn't really a good way to sell your game.

Western Horror is based on Resident Evil style gore and blood where a big ugly monster comes and say BOO
Easter Horror os based on Silent Hill style isolation and darkness where you are constantly expecting a BOO that you just don't know when it'll come

No thanks, they're garbage. Wanna know how I know they're shit? Protip: they're on consoles.

hows it feel being a faggot console warrior fanboy

Pretty good, I fucked your nigger mom last night.

Scratches is a mixed bag - great atmosphere but holy fuck can the puzzles be dense sometimes.

Picked up STASIS a while ago because it seemed like a Sanitarium in a sci-fi enviroment. And mind you, the game started promising, with an interesting morality conflict over human experimentation on people who technically were already dead.

But of course we can't have anything nice, so you have to fight a Saturday Morning mad scientist villain once the last third of the game kicks in. A real disappointment.

And then there is Sylvio 2. First title was a diamond in the rough, but holy fucking shit was the sequel as disappointment - I mean, they had a tech demo with sprawling swamp/mangrove landscapes and everything. Then the kikestarter wents tits up, and what eventually appeared on Steam looked like an unholy abortion of a Unity asset flip clone.

I get fov sickness from this game. Until there's an option to bump it up to at least 90, I can't play.

The Alone in the Darkness remake would have been pretty darn good. Also, there’s Eternal Darkness.

It's the first game of the Amnesia and SOMA guys and it's still their best.
It remains quite strongly scripted but compared to Amnesia it actually tries to have some puzzles that don't just require you to work around the 3d manipulation gimmick.

How did you arrive to that conclusion?

I've been having fun with Darkwoods

best "western" horror games are made by westaboos in Japan

Try Dark Corners of The Earth and Cold Fear
Good time

good taste dude, I played this recently after being recommended it a while back and i love how immersive it is. Has this slow methodical pace of a point and click game + the uneasiness and danger of stuff like resident evil that I really like.

see
It's like you watched jason and concluded that was all an entire hemisphere had to offer.

You know that being an unoriginal parrot is a sign of low IQ? go back to your Holla Forums echobox with the rest of the brainlets who all sound the same

You have to go back. In fact take OP with you, this is a consolewar tier thread. And the faggot you were replying to, you're all the same kind of internet shit fight seeking faggots which is why you stand out so much.

But there's some people with good taste posting in this thread. If you think that Holla Forums crossposters aren't part of the reason why the quality of most boards have gone down you've got blinders on.

And Obscure

I know I'm going to get shit for this but I honestly think one of the best examples of western horror games in recent history is FNAF 1. Now before you crucify me let me just make some points.
>The phone messages establish over the course of the nights what might happen with a peer going through the same thing at effectively the same time, again letting you get just enough to know what happened, but not really know what happened
Or to put it another way: the game had atmosphere and did a good job at building suspense. I think that's what's important in horror games.

Penumbra is the only good game Frictional ever made.

Incredible atmosphere, dumb puzzles. Still the best Western made horror game I've ever played.

Yes, I liked it but it suffered from the classic slav lack of polish issues.

All of those also had windows releases but you're probably just false-flagging anyway.

FNAF isn't horror so much as artificial tension. Whatever "suspense" is built is long gone after the first initial jumpscares and you know the games mechanics.

Horror is shit no matter the location.

Spoken like a true ignorant fool.
You go into horror movies expecting some theme park attraction or something?

One thing I adamantly believe is that opportunities to save need to be spread apart and checkpoints removed for a good horror game. The fear of losing the progress compounds with the horror aspects of the game, but without knowing that something is on the line, nothing in the game can actually make you feel threatened. Early RE and Silent Hill got this right, has anyone in the last 10 years?
There's also the problem of a game usually losing its edge once you master the mechanics or get a big pool of resources. I don't know how to solve those.

A big thing about horror is dealing with the Unknown. Since you are not Japanese, you have no fucking clue what the hell Japan is referencing for its horror, so it is scarier.

Things that the Western Developers would think is "scary" is stuff people like us, who enjoy horror, are desensitized to.

Oh cool another thread with a weeb making unsubstantiated claims about how "shit" everything "Western" is and how grorious dat nippon is. Interesting.

Because in the west the real horror is in real life.

Borderlands is pretty scary

I think this is actually a good point. A lot of monsters and themes used in japanese horror look very strange and mystic to a western audience who isn´t really accustomed to the whole japanese mythology and culture. That being said i think there are a lot of good western horror games. Even rather modern ones like Alien: isolation.

With the non-stop pop pop and stainless steel

amnesia does lack replay value but what it does have are custom stories which are a fucking blast

Look no further than Alien: Isolation. It was, in my opinion, even better than Cry of Fear.
Of course, your experience may vary because your phobias could differ from my own, but I think Alien Isolation does a good job regardless.

Silent Hill is based on Western Horror you double nigger.
With the exception of Japanese Games based on Japanese Culture, all the Japanese Games are just copying ideas they got from Western Media and you just don't notice it because you have the horizon of a double nigger.
Take a stroll into French, Italian and Scandinavian Cinema and you will see that the Japanese have few original ideas when it comes to Horror.

not a horror game but the spooky atmosphere is on point in this game

Dubs were wasted on you.

You're obviously here to shit on the west rather then ask for suggestions.

Also Call of Cthulu is a first person shooter, with actual guns, and you have to play strategically since your guns are less then useful against fishmen and shoggoths.

Cryostasis is a horror game where for the first half you're beating in zombies with improvised knuckledusters, and later a few guns. Most of the game takes place on a crashed icebreaker ship where ghosts haunt, and a creepy, seemingly unrelated Russian folk story keeps popping up on old notes in places. The game's gimmick is based around heat, and the ghosts you fight don't harm you, but steal your warmth and heat, and you're always at risk of dying of cold. You might actually feel cold while playing the game, the imagery is intense and the atmosphere unrelenting. On top of that, you have to jump into the minds of the dead to help them, because their mistakes were so great that they have made most of the ship impossible to traverse physically, and correcting those mistakes repairs the part that they needed to be alive to fix. The game has dubs in Russian and English, both superb.

A:I with the mod that "untethers" the xenomorph was some good shit. You'd have periods where it didn't patrol around as close to you as it does in the vanilla game, but then you'd have it fucking pop up out of nowhere with no warning.

Plus the overall aesthetic of the game was 10/10, pure 70s sci fi.

also, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, the Metro series, on and on, you really have no excuse, expecially coming on here like you do.

Stalker is a mapped shooter with sidequests, in which you deal with invisible monsters and psychic fiends, all of them you have to learn how to deal with since they specifically adopt tactics to defy what a normal FPS player would do, and you have limited ammo to boot. On top of that you have to dodge the weather, since there's various unnatural weather conditions that mean instant death for you, chiefly the Blowout and Emissions. Darkness is also realistic in that you straight up can't see shit without a flashlight.

Metro 2033 is basically a Stalker campaign but toned down in difficulty and linear, taking place in the metros under Russia, as the environment above is unbreathable due to nuclear war. The sheer amount of death and tragedy has cause remnant shadows to reside in the metro, forever replaying how they died and you have to avoid them, because they're literally physical shadows. On top of those you have to contend with soldiers and mercenaries because supplies are scarce.

The main thing Doom 64 has going for itself is the soundtrack.

Look up Shadow of the Comet.

Name of mod? pls

Here's the whole thing

moddb.com/mods/unpredictable-alien-mod/downloads/unpredictable-alien

Be careful in vents, user :^)

Thanks asshole I just got fired.

Doumo arigatou user-kun.

Kek.

I just got promoted!

have you watched a horror movie made before 2010?

your thinly veiled attempt at trying to gather a bunch of notable western horror games is pretty obvious, but for shits and giggles I'll tell you to just go play eternal darkness or something and call it a day

Realms of the Haunting is a half decent horror/adventure game for anyone interested in a 90s FPS/FMV/action-adventure mash up.

Yahtzee's adventure game series are quite good too as is The Consuming Shadow, an extremely underrated FTL/Arkham Horror/2d "action" game mix.

Shadow of the Comet might appeal to some but it's pretty clunky.

Kill yourself.

it may not be straight horror, but a solid spooky game made by a western dev is pic related

incredibly surreal and unnerving with some great designs

kek

Cry of Fear is possibly one of the scariest games ever made. Even though it's filled with jumpscares, what horror game doesn't? Disregarding the jumpscares, the atmosphere is haunting and the enemy design is truly intimidating.

I want this meme to end.

You say that as if the games are that different. The only thing Nightmare Creatures has that Dark Souls doesn't is fighting game style combos.

It blows my mind how terrifying a simple point and click adventure game can be. Probably has to do with the near photorealistic backgrounds.

Penumbra is in another league but Amnesia isn't that bad. Although I'm just a sucker for castles and the music.

The setting is fine, the lack of meaningful gameplay not so much.

SoC in particular dabbles in horror but not often enough for me to call it a horror game.

It's not like penumbra had much gameplay. Really the only 2 things it had over Amnesia was the enemies actually patrolled the area instead of spawning in/out and the hub areas where more open/mazelike instead of being safe areas. Also the worm enemy but that's not really a gameplay thing since it was kinda shit in the gameplay department

Cursed Mountain is an interesting game. Love the setting of Nepal villages/the snowy mountains. Fighting off spirits and using the motion control gestures work well. If you fuck up a motion gesture, just it try again as it's motion system is really forgiving. For comparison can't think of anytime I got angry at them unlike another Wii game like Disaster Day of Crisis and it's sometimes finicky/quicktime event or die motion controls. You mostly attack dark spirits with you pickaxe swing combo (done with buttons) and you can also purify spirits by using shooting them with a spiritual energy attack (can't remember the exact name or the holy items that do this) from the Wii Remote pointer and then purifying them with a motion control gesture which also regains health for yourself.

Disappointments with the game include, no replay value/unlocks after beating it, only one segment of the game where you having worry about your oxygen meter (thought this would be used more, because it brought in the mechanic of excessive movement uses up oxygen and you need to find more bottles of it and I thought it might be akin to the Sega Saturn survival horror game Deep Fear with it's limited air supply that limit player excessive movement). Can't remember how long the game was but it was probably between 10-20 hours. It's not a bad game, it's fun and it works there's just not much to do after beating it. Either get it really cheap or rent it.

Is Darkwood any good? I've heard it's pretty scary.

you can also un-aggro the mosnter (only flappymouth) by holding a box in front of your face
really kills the spook factor

Cry of Fear is one of my favorite horror games from the last 10 or so years. It does a lot of things right (inventory management, save points, genuinely unsettling monster design and sound design, fun environment shifting) and some things wrong (platforming in a first person horror game, while novel, is particularly abysmal and the train segment is fucking atrocious). You can tell the devs took a lot of inspiration from Silent Hill, but it's a decent enough experience that it doesn't detract from the overall game.

Penumbra has actual weapons and better puzzles, Amnesia mostly has semi-scripted monster encounters, jump-scares and babbies first puzzle.

The weapons didn't add anything to the game and weren't even present after the first game. The only enemy you could use them on was the wolves, and even then it was just stun locking one down (which I don't think was intended) before it could call more enemies.

Get a load of this child.

Go fuck yourself with that "West doesn't make good horror movies" shit.
t. weeb

This is pretty true, gore and jumpscares don't phase me anymore. I just treat them as realistic action movies because there's tension from characters not having plot armor.

A lot of modern western horror material did the "happy, but creepy nuclear family" horror trope to death too.

HELP

I enjoyed The Lazarus Effect.

>2 seeders, estimated time goes from another day to

I have only played for about 3 hours but it's the only game since i was a kid playing silent hill that terrifies me. I want to play more but I also don't

The Suffering isn't scary unless you're a kid.
Obscure sucks, the only good thing about it is its co-op.

I always thought the appeal of the suffering was how B-movie it is. Enemies have clever design. Locations are cool. Not scary at all though.

Anyone have a good rec for robot-based horror? I liked the atmosphere and enemy in soma but that got boring as shit

System Shock? Virus?

Can anyone think of any other horror games focussed on robots?

every single sci fi game ever made

jesus, I thought that game would be forgotten

I love horror vidya and psychological stuff, but I have a lot of anxiety and I really don't like jump scares. I literally had to play through RE7 with my partner and basically make a joke out of it because there was just so many. The basement area was just pure cancer.
It's ridiculous how much almost every game in the genre relies on them. Honestly, games that aren't necessarily horror themed do it better.
Subnautica is a great example.

Is it that bad?

Oh my god these wojacks are fucking cute.

Niggers can pretty scary when they're not wanted.

Event Horizon isn't exactly a shining example of horror. Sure I enjoyed it for the meta value, but it wasn't exactly Alien.

it's your standard run of the mill poorly done RE clone, from what I've played

Update on cryostasis: game is shit, atmosphere is great, less scary because I usually end up playing up an army of darkness kind of attitude when encountering spukes these days.

you better not be talking shit about a cultural icon

I found EV to be a far more interesting sci fi movie than a horror movie. I was more interested in seeing that hell dimension than to see who ended up surviving. It reminds me of Hellraiser in that sense. There are horror elements of it, but I'm more interested in the spectacle of it rather than in being scared by it.

As for decent horror, the first Woman in Black was pretty terrifying when it first came out. I also happened to live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere at the time, so the idea was more frightening to me. The atmosphere and buildup were also fantastic. You could feel her presence in a scene before she was actually shown. I'd honestly avoid the second movie in that series. It was ok, but it would have been far better off with less characters on screen. What made the first more terrifying was that the protagonist was all along and had no way of reaching any help until dawn. In the second movie, that limitation no longer exists. They are both period pieces, but the first was set when cars were a serious luxury item. The protag had to rely on horse and carriage for a lot of the movie and even the vehicle that he gains access to later on can't cross the marsh at night. It would actually make for a really nice game in the same vein as the Clocktower series.

Terrible camera angle,horrible textures even for a ps1, Practically impossible to target an enemy, audio effects are at the same level of a flash game, the list goes on… Probably one of the worst games on PS1

I don't usually play horror games, but I like it. It doesn't really do the jumpscare bullshit and instead focuses on building atmosphere.
The main gameplay as far as I've gotten is exploring and scavenging by day so you can fortify your house for the night and gather things to progress. It can get quite tense hearing something poke around the house at night.

I kind of miss the old first-person horror adventures with pre-rendered screens. Somehow they often managed to be creepy and comfy at the same time.

That's fucked up, I hope you're not serious.

show pink slip plz

Penumbra was made before Amnesia by the same people, and it's the better game IMO.

you are not a weeb if you don't felate nips