Why did Troika games die? They made such great games and they didnt get bought by anyone, so how did they shut down?

Why did Troika games die? They made such great games and they didnt get bought by anyone, so how did they shut down?

western industry is corrupt as shit, troika also never had great success with delivering any of their releases to my knowledge and a lot of unfortunate situations they were put into that maybe they could have avoided.

I think it was a just lack of shekels.

I couldn't get through VTMB because the combat was so bad, it felt like what you'd get in pre-alpha stage.

for the many circumstances of the development, what was essentially shipped was an alpha game.

They didn't release a single finished product in their life.

Sleeper hits don't make money in this business.

It was founded and run by three developers, not three businessmen. They openly admit that they were unhappy having to actually run a company.

>>>/shitpost/

IIRC Tim Cain talked about this on codex, check his account if you really want to know

They're not wrong

You can thank Todd Howard and Bethesda outbidding them from their version of Fallout 3

Because all their three games were broken pieces of shit-

The whole three of them. Arcanum and Masquerade were buggy messes with loose ends up the ass and ToEE was soulless garbage. Also all three sold like shit.

This looked like shit

Speaking of shit for brains a proof of concept pre-alpha is hardly final product grade quality. Made me reply though.

Back to your own imageboard you piece of shit
>>>/cuckchan/

They were still the two best RPGs of the 21st century.

Still three of the best games out there. Goes to show you how little gaming as a medium has moved forward.

user, when you sign a contract that has expected delivery date and you're refused by your contractor for extension and you're forced to deliver a sub-par product it's not the publishers being kikes. It's them not having enough confidence and deciding you and your deadline missing ass is not worth spending additional funds on.

I take it New Vegas is the third one? I personally liked both games but I can name a few dozen titles off the top of my head I'd put far above either.

Thanks for proving me right
>>>/cuckchan/

Except Source dev tools were fucking terrible and so was the engine at the time.
They were severely limited until Valve released Half Life 2.

I'll give you that.

Lets see:
that's more than what most companies can claim so i don't see the point of your thread OP

Why it's right THERE

Troika was actually a reference to the three fags who set the company up.

It still means a set of three.

It was necessary.

actually it means wheel
t. actual commie

Nope.

Didn't they get fucked over by EA? That seems to be the fate with a lot of half-decent studios.

No, Activision

Activision, Valve And Todd Howard.
They licensed the Soruce engine while Valve was making HL2 then the source code for it was leaked and Valve ended up scrapping it and remaking the game unfortunately Troika and Valve had a contract were they were not allowed to release a game made on the engine before Valve did and when that delay was announced they thought Activision their publisher at the time would let them keep working on Bloodlines, they didn't, they spend years unable to fix their unfinished game due to Activisions kikary and to make matters worse Activision thought it would be a bright idea to release the game the very same day Half-Life 2 came out, it killed the company.
The worse part of all this is Troika wanted to buy the Fallout IP and if they got it it might have saved them but Bethesda outbid them and proceeded to rape that franchise into the dirt.

And you are saying this without a trace of irony, may god have mercy.

Yes, the three personalities behind it.

In the west (where Troika were) it's associated primarily with a ruling council of three.

You forgot Atari and every other fucking publisher they approached. The craptacular publishing deal for ToEE meant they had no rights to ANY of the source code for that game, meaning they had to do a new engine from scratch for the various isometric RPG pitches they were doing later on and went fucking nowhere cause nobody wanted to touch them with a 10 ft pole, and more importantly they were legally incapable of re-implementing the combat system for the game, aka the one time the D&D ruleset actually fucking worked as a vidya and it's fucking sealed behind a wall of legal bullshit.

So, commnists that wanted their "vision" and "art" to be made, without dealing with God Capital? They deserved their end.

So, it DOES mean them being kikes.

It worked pretty well for the Goldbox games, but ToEE was arguably a revival/addition of that style rather than say games in the veins of BG

That's a Triumverate.

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the overworld shit. So many goddamn encounters.

They didn't exactly pick it for commie reasons but yes, more or less.

They're more or less synonyms user.

tl;dr Sierra dealt them a blow by delaying Arcanum. The game leaked and was widely pirated. The bullshit with Valve finished them off.

My guess is that their games weren't successful enough to fund the overhead on further projects.
Remember that Troika's lifetime was a time where games actually were expensive to make and distribute.

Wanting to avoid God Capital leads to communism. They still deserved everything bad, if they wanted to create products without running a company and without having a capitalist mindset.

Really activates my almonds.

>>>Holla Forums

I thought they where just workaholics who wanted to focus on games but fucked themselves in a corner with contracts they agreed to.

On one front they let valve delay their game for however long they wanted, on the other their publisher was able to freeze the game. What ended up happening is their game got frozen for years until the day HL2 released. Ontop of that Valve was updating source this entire time and Troika wasn't even allowed to even update their version of source to the release one. So they got fucked 2 ways. 1 from the technical aspect (having to release on an unfinished engine) and 2 from having to release the same fucking day as HL2. Just total bureaucratic shit.

Previous two games in the series also had those.

What the fuck does Todd Howard has to do with this?

Also, what stopped them from giving their game a different title?

Bethesda bought the rights for fallout, so the original creators couldn't continue the series.

They'd probably land in some serious copyright hot water if they copied fallout point for point and just swapped names around.

Leftist shill exposed.
God Capital can thrive without deformed kikes. As for your leftist ideals, they are being crushed right now, among with your brethren. Check your food and medicine everyday. Just saying ;)

Yeah, sure, communist cuck. Keep being rejected by whores for being a low T failure. It is fun to watch.

That is why you should learn all the dirty tricks before entering any industry. Not for using them, but to avoid them being used against you. Ideologues that just "love" their work are the primary reason why greedy companies are able to get away with fucking smaller groups.
Entertainers and artists should never be allowed to command anything.

Hello again

Stop posting these all over the board, autismo.

You can't protect yourself from all the tricks. If a larger company wants to erase you they can simply bury you with frivolous lawsuits until you're bankrupt. If you sign on with a publisher, which is exactly what you have to do when you're a studio publishing a game with a large budget, you are at their mercy. These weren't basement programmers making something in their freetime or with patreon bucks.

Tim Cain was in charge of Fallout 1's development and that worked out pretty fucking well. You forget, these aren't modern San Fransisco abstract art trust fund kids. They should have hired a lawyer or consultant before agreeing to the terms.

You posted that image and now you have to pay the price for what you've done.

I'm more concerned about the tooth rather then it being a blowjob,goddamn,that must hurt.

that's painful to look at user

Lack of money means lack of production time and marketing, they sold unfinished games to nobody. Which is a shame becaue all their games feel like they need some extra months of developement to be good

Not to mention cat tongue. Pure sandpaper.

Because Based Valve and Activision.

Oh what? You thought it was gonna be erotic? You thought it was gonna be pleasant?
No. You want to fuck the faggot cat this is what you get.

Woah, settle down Kennedy. You fucking edgelord.

Where are the guys now?

According to wikipedia, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are at Obsidian working on some super-secret project together or something. Tim Cain worked as a programmer for Pillars of Equality, but otherwise it seems neither of them have had a hand on any prior Obsidian game.

Jason D. Anderson is at Turtle Rock Studios and supposedly worked on Evolve.

all 3 of these games are technical masterpieces, but delivered in alpha at launch.

I fucking love ToEE, with community patches its still the best DnD style romp you can get in a game.

But it was Zenimax. Also, Todd is only the director of BGS, not Bethesda Softworks which owns and manages all the copyrights.

But the game was only in pre-alpha stage, meaning that it still could've taken a lot of different directions. It's no excuse.

if it's not dead jim then it certainly wishes it was by now

Its the same company retard